PDA

View Full Version : Moving on to BrickBall tomorrow... What do you need to see to fan that flame of hope?

RougeDawg
01-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Given the opponent and location this will be a difficult game to win. The spread is 8.5 at the moment. What will we have to do tomorrow night to start getting the horrible taste out of your month from this past Saturday?

If we can keep it within three possessions (ie the point spread) there will be some hope. If we can clean up turnovers and improve shooting but lose by more than spread there will still be some hope IMO. There has to be some improvements along with not getting blown out for me to keep thinking this team can make some noise. Tea and Table Spoon were both left in the dishwasher rack Saturday. We need at least one of them to show up tomorrow night.

Covercorner2
01-09-2018, 07:57 PM
8.5 really isn't that bad. Gives me hope.

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm not really all that upset from our loss vs OM. We are clearly the more talented team we just need to learn how to finish. It's part of the process. We aren't ever going to never lose road games in the SEC guys. Chill

msstate7
01-09-2018, 08:15 PM
I'm not really all that upset from our loss vs OM. We are clearly the more talented team we just need to learn how to finish. It's part of the process. We aren't ever going to never lose road games in the SEC guys. Chill the **** out

2003-4 state says road game are not so tough

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Great so unless our still very young basketball team matches something that's only happened once in our basketball history everyone is gonna treat them like they are Rick Ray's losers. We have the shittiest basketball fanbase in the SEC. Nobody attends the games yet they expect us to be Kentucky Lite.

msstate7
01-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Great so unless our still very young basketball team matches something that's only happened once in our basketball history everyone is gonna treat them like they are Rick Ray's losers. We have the shittiest basketball fanbase in the SEC. Nobody attends the games yet they expect us to be Kentucky Lite.

Yeah, holding a double digit lead vs one of the worst teams in the league is unreasonable. Next thing you know, we will want some sort of postseason play... You know, Kentucky like goals

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Yeah, holding a double digit lead vs one of the worst teams in the league is unreasonable.

Still bitching about it 4 days later is unreasonable. If it becomes habit this year than by all means keep piling on but the point was made Saturday night after the game already. Howland and the team got the message.

civildawg
01-09-2018, 08:39 PM
A win. Thats about it

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2018, 08:41 PM

No we just expect to not lose 8 of 9 to our arch rival who btw, doesnt even give a shit and they still have won 8 of 9. Dont blow 2 double digit leads to them and lose.

Oh and we expect to not be garbage for what, 7 8 years now?

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 08:44 PM
No we just expect to not lose 8 of 9 to our arch rival who btw, doesnt even give a shit and they still have won 8 of 9. Dont blow 2 double digit leads to them and lose.

Oh and we expect to not be garbage for what, 7 8 years now?

This is Howland's 3rd year

msstate7
01-09-2018, 08:45 PM

4 of 5 then... om was missing top 3 scorers in game we won

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2018, 08:45 PM

And we played the weakest schedule in the history of the school, thought we were decent, then choked worse than UGA did last night. And havent won a road game.

Just telling the truth

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
And we played the weakest schedule in the history of the school, thought we were decent, then choked worse than UGA did last night. And havent won a road game.

Just telling the truth

We make two more buckets and none of y'all are bitching. Instead you're singing their praises and we are ranked. It can't be that way. Total high-fives or total **** you's just by a matter of a couple points. Again we are a very young team still. No seniors. Gotta take some lumps still unfortunately.

Coach34
01-09-2018, 09:12 PM

That was a veteran loaded team with mostly Jr's and Sr's- we have a team with no Sr's and only 3 Jr's. Maturity is huge in college basketball and especially in road games

LC Dawg
01-09-2018, 09:18 PM
I want to see a leader start to emerge on our team but I think it may not happen until next year.

msstate7
01-09-2018, 09:18 PM
That was a veteran loaded team with mostly Jr's and Sr's- we have a team with no Sr's and only 3 Jr's. Maturity is huge in college basketball and especially in road games

I was not saying we should be undefeated on the road this year. That would be an unrealistic expectation for sure. Dawg61 said, ?We aren't ever going to never lose road games in the SEC guys.? I just pointed out that we have in fact not lost a road game in the sec

MCsMGs
01-09-2018, 09:22 PM
A&M just lost to Kentucky by one at Rupp. Led by 6 with 3-4 minutes left Missed 5 of their last 6 free throws, turned the ball over several times and missed three wide open 3's to go ahead with less than one minute...

Sound familiar?

ETA two weeks ago they were a shoe in for the final 4.

LC Dawg
01-09-2018, 09:35 PM
A&M just lost to Kentucky by one at Rupp. Led by 6 with 3-4 minutes left Missed 5 of their last 6 free throws, turned the ball over several times and missed three wide open 3's to go ahead with less than one minute...

Sound familiar?

ETA two weeks ago they were a shoe in for the final 4.

There was also a good ole Kentucky no call at the end.

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 09:36 PM
I was not saying we should be undefeated on the road this year. That would be an unrealistic expectation for sure. Dawg61 said, ?We aren't ever going to never lose road games in the SEC guys.? I just pointed out that we have in fact not lost a road game in the sec

Once in our entire basketball history we have gone perfect on the road as far as I'm aware. Don't be Smoot and start nitpicking words just to argue.

MCsMGs
01-09-2018, 09:41 PM
There was also a good ole Kentucky no call at the end.

Yeah...easily the worst no-call in college basketball this year and I'm sure the SEC office will hear tomorrow if they haven't already. Should have never come to that last hail mary anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2018, 10:37 PM
We make two more buckets and none of y'all are bitching. Instead you're singing their praises and we are ranked. It can't be that way. Total high-fives or total **** you's just by a matter of a couple points. Again we are a very young team still. No seniors. Gotta take some lumps still unfortunately.

We've been ''a couple buckets'' short for almost a decade now. Its gotten old. I remember after Cohen had that bad year, what was it around here ''No Mora excuses''??

Howland should have ''No mora excuses'' if we dont at least make the NIT

Dawg61
01-09-2018, 11:59 PM
We've been ''a couple buckets'' short for almost a decade now. Its gotten old. I remember after Cohen had that bad year, what was it around here ''No Mora excuses''??

I hear ya but we always want things faster than they come. Howland in year 3 has a team younger and visibly more talented than Kennedy has rostered in his 10th season. It sucks we didn't finish but we clearly have a brighter future than Ole Miss does.

MarketingBully
01-10-2018, 12:19 AM
A couple of buckets short? Maybe at home last year but didn’t we lose to these same asshats by like 28 in the Pavilion last year?

Todd4State
01-10-2018, 12:21 AM

Cohen had losing seasons his first two years and I'm not sure how much time he would have gotten had he not gotten us to a SR in year three. I remember an article before that season in the Clarion-Ledger talking about how he had to show some progress that year.

I don't have the same expectations in basketball as baseball- but I'd like to see Howland get us to the NIT this year. If he does that and beats Ole Miss in Starkville I'm good with it.

Todd4State
01-10-2018, 12:21 AM
A couple of buckets short? Maybe at home last year but didn’t we lose to these same asshats by like 28 in the Pavilion last year?

Well, by that metric we've improved then.

Still should have won though.

MarketingBully
01-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Well, by that metric we've improved then.

Still should have won though.

Ole Miss had a 10 point lead at halftime against Auburn at Auburn and was in control of that game until about the 8-9 minute mark in the second half. Then the wheels fell off, the refs had a few calls go Auburn?s way and Auburn handled the rest to win by 15. Ole Miss had Stevens and Davis foul out too to the tune of having 27 fouls called on Ole Miss. Winning on the road is hard.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-10-2018, 12:49 AM
I already have hope.

The only way some of the shitty fans on here will have hope is if we come out and skull drag them for 40 minutes. And even then, rest assured, they?ll scoot the goalpost back a little further and find a reason why they shouldn?t buy in to the program.

Dawg61
01-10-2018, 01:08 AM
Ole Miss had a 10 point lead at halftime against Auburn at Auburn and was in control of that game until about the 8-9 minute mark in the second half. Then the wheels fell off, the refs had a few calls go Auburn?s way and Auburn handled the rest to win by 15. Ole Miss had Stevens and Davis foul out too to the tune of having 27 fouls called on Ole Miss. Winning on the road is hard.

Auburn is finally good this year after sucking Pearl's first 3 seasons. He has one year on Howland. We are absolutely better in year 3 than Auburn with Pearl was. They finished 11th in the SEC last year and 18-14.

msstate7
01-10-2018, 07:33 AM
I already have hope.

The only way some of the shitty fans on here will have hope is if we come out and skull drag them for 40 minutes. And even then, rest assured, they?ll scoot the goalpost back a little further and find a reason why they shouldn?t buy in to the program.

I will take a win, period. I am already going to the games

Covercorner2
01-10-2018, 08:25 AM
This thread is going to be awesome after we win the next 2.

msstate7
01-10-2018, 08:32 AM

At Florida and auburn? Drinking before 8am is a sure sign of a problem

CJDAWG85
01-10-2018, 08:35 AM
I want to see us continue to attack the basket. Stop shooting the quick 3. That's when the game usually gets away from us.

thf24
01-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Need to see open shots start falling. Despite all our other issues and weaknesses, we're a bubble team if Q, Peters, and Carter were shooting the same 3pt% they did last year.

CJDAWG85
01-10-2018, 09:37 AM
In the 2 SEC games, we are 9 of 44 from 3 and 33 of 57 at the stripe. If State is going to make the tourney, these must improve.

MadDawg
01-10-2018, 09:43 AM
In the 2 SEC games, we are 9 of 44 from 3 and 33 of 57 at the stripe. If State is going to make the tourney, these must improve.

I agree. If we are going to make the NIT, those numbers have to get better.

louisvilledawg
01-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Auburn is finally good this year after sucking Pearl's first 3 seasons. He has one year on Howland. We are absolutely better in year 3 than Auburn with Pearl was. They finished 11th in the SEC last year and 18-14.

Don't you come in here talking logically. It's bad for the board.

louisvilledawg
01-10-2018, 09:50 AM

What tourney we talking?

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2018, 09:53 AM
I would like to see some real half court offensive sets well executed. We are not that far off in most facets of the game but we stink at that. If they happened to come against a zone that would be even better.

Covercorner2
01-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Don't believe me, just watch. We might be favored against AU.

msstate7
01-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Don't believe me, just watch. We might be favored against AU.

I want to be wrong, but I do not see us going into Florida tonight and winning

Covercorner2
01-10-2018, 10:05 AM
I want to be wrong, but I do not see us going into Florida tonight and winning

We are *only* 8 point underdogs. That is begging for UF money. IMO that is a good sign.

RougeDawg
01-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Unless you haven?t stopped from the previous night.**

msstate7
01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Unless you haven?t stopped from the previous night.**

True haha

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Still bitching about it 4 days later is unreasonable. If it becomes habit this year than by all means keep piling on but the point was made Saturday night after the game already. Howland and the team got the message.

This^^ Rep given

MCsMGs
01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Don't you come in here talking logically. It's bad for the board.

Ha! I was gonna tell 61 the same thing...

confucius say
01-10-2018, 03:36 PM
I want to see roles defined. X needs to defend, rebound, and go to rim. Not jack up 5 threes. He ain't a shooter.

Peters- slasher, let game come to him, catch and shoot in rhythm. No cross over, step back, icky shuffle threes.

Carter- spot up shooter. Run some screens for him in half court.

Ado- rebound, defend, put back basket. Get him touches in paint even if it's just to kick it back out.

Holman- keep playing stretch 4 way he is. Maybe more touches at high post.

In sum, have a damn clue who you are offensively and how you can help the team.

bigplayslay
01-10-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm not really all that upset from our loss vs OM. We are clearly the more talented team we just need to learn how to finish. It's part of the process. We aren't ever going to never lose road games in the SEC guys. Chill

I'm upset but only because the way we lost. I know SEC games on the road are tough but that om team was 8-6 going in. We were also up 11 with 8 minutes left, not being able to hit a free throw to save our lives, 3 point shooting became cold down the stretch etc.

sleepy dawg
01-10-2018, 04:45 PM
I have no expectations of competing in this game at all and won't be using this game as a judge of how good we are. Florida is a very good team and potential 2 seed, and likely not worse than a 5 seed, while we're just hoping we're good enough for the NIT. I can't believe the spread is so low to be honest. Vegas clearly believes in our team much more than we (I) do.

msstate7
01-10-2018, 08:34 PM

One thumping down... 1 to go. We are not good

MarketingBully
01-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Not that. Didn’t need to see that shitshow display.