PDA

View Full Version : Baseball?

Backwoodsdawg
01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Now that football is over is it safe to start talking about our Bulldog Baseball season that starts in a little over a month? What do the talking heads have to say about the season coming up? I went to all the scrimmages in Jackson and I even snuck in the back door at the Palmeiro center a few times and watched them in there so I have seen a little of action in the fall. We have a real solid Defense with only a couple of questions and Offensively we had a few guys stand out that were veterans but we will need some of the new guys come on so the line up doesn't fade on the back end. Pitching wise we are way ahead of last year just from a shear numbers stand point and we have more strike throwers too. Just interested in what others think so if you're bored chime in. Thanks and Hail State....39 days till first pitch!

msstate7
01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
The big question... Alexander or Stovall at ss?

01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Both will start, so it does not really matter.

01-08-2018, 11:31 AM
We simply need offense. We need a couple of guys to step up and provide power. We know Mangum and Stovall will get on base.

msstate7
01-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Both will start, so it does not really matter.

It matters... C34 and I will give each other hell according to how it works out haha

Backwoodsdawg
01-08-2018, 11:43 AM
I think we will be best with Gilbert, Alexander, Stovall, and Mangum up the middle and that will be as solid as it gets across the country. So with that being said if you're asking me who I think ends up at SS I'm going to have to say probably Alexander because no one has shown to this point the capability of playing 2nd at the level Stovall has shown us. Either one of them could play SS pretty much anywhere in the country but only one can here so we have a pretty good situation from that standpoint. Alexander has to step up his hitting tool though or we may see a repeat of the last two seasons with him. On a positive from that though he didn't strike out near as much this fall as he has in the past so that is a very nice improvement and I expect him to keep getting better this spring too.

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I think we will be best with Gilbert, Alexander, Stovall, and Mangum up the middle and that will be as solid as it gets across the country. So with that being said if you're asking me who I think ends up at SS I'm going to have to say probably Alexander because no one has shown to this point the capability of playing 2nd at the level Stovall has shown us. Either one of them could play SS pretty much anywhere in the country but only one can here so we have a pretty good situation from that standpoint. Alexander has to step up his hitting tool though or we may see a repeat of the last two seasons with him. On a positive from that though he didn't strike out near as much this fall as he has in the past so that is a very nice improvement and I expect him to keep getting better this spring too.

If Alexander stays healthy and keeps bat discipline then we might be pretty good on the infield. Stovall is so damn good at 2nd, I would be hard pressed to move him unless we had someone else really good. I think it would come down to what new guy can play premium defense at either 3rd or 2nd. If you have someone good for 3rd then keep Stovall at 2nd and move LA to SS. If you have a great 2nd baseman then move Stovall to SS and LA stays at 3rd. It seems like LA has the better arm so he should probably stay on the 3rd base side at either 3rd or SS.

Either way it is a great problem to have. Our pitching is going to bend over some guys. Pilk might be the best we have had since Stratton. He kind of reminds me of Maholm with more velocity. The guy is just a workhorse. I can't wait to see what they can do with an actual full pitching staff instead of the walking dead we had last year. Half the pitching staff last year should not have pitched in a SEC game. They just weren't ready and most needed a redshirt year.

BorneDawg
01-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Luke did some good things in the Cape. He will be better this year. I think he will be at SS and Stovall at 2nd like Backwoods said we are at our strongest defensively that way

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Luke did some good things in the Cape. He will be better this year. I think he will be at SS and Stovall at 2nd like Backwoods said we are at our strongest defensively that way

He has been banged up the last 2 years. Hopefully he stays healthy and can play up to his potential.

Steakonastick
01-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Best guess starting day.

Lf-vansau
Cf- mangum
Rf- poole (hope Anderson wins out here)
3b- foscue
Ss- alexander
2b- Stovall
1b- macnamee
C- gilbert

Dh- no clue. Hopefully a healthy tanner Allen.

Friday- pilk
Saturday- France
Sunday- small, gordon, billingsley

msstate7
01-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Best guess starting day.

Lf-vansau
Cf- mangum
Rf- poole (hope Anderson wins out here)
3b- foscue
Ss- alexander
2b- Stovall
1b- macnamee
C- gilbert

Dh- no clue. Hopefully a healthy tanner Allen.

Friday- pilk
Saturday- France
Sunday- small, gordon, billingsley

Tell us about foscue and Gilbert.

AlSwearengen
01-08-2018, 01:43 PM
No way is Poole starting.

msstate7
01-08-2018, 01:46 PM
No way is Poole starting.

Maybe not, but steakonastick is usually dead on with baseball

confucius say
01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Now that football is over is it safe to start talking about our Bulldog Baseball season that starts in a little over a month? What do the talking heads have to say about the season coming up? I went to all the scrimmages in Jackson and I even snuck in the back door at the Palmeiro center a few times and watched them in there so I have seen a little of action in the fall. We have a real solid Defense with only a couple of questions and Offensively we had a few guys stand out that were veterans but we will need some of the new guys come on so the line up doesn't fade on the back end. Pitching wise we are way ahead of last year just from a shear numbers stand point and we have more strike throwers too. Just interested in what others think so if you're bored chime in. Thanks and Hail State....39 days till first pitch!

Always good to sneak in the back door for a little action

Steakonastick
01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Poole would not be starting for me. But it is what it is.

Foscue- shortstop in high school, line drive hitter who has a little pop. Good athlete

Gilbert- the only catcher who hit this fall. Skelton was awful. Gilbert is a very good all around catcher behind the plate. Did not show much power in the fall but hit the ball hard. Showed some good power in juco.

Tanner Allen is the wildcard. He was hurt almost all of the fall.

Coldsleeve Jr.
01-08-2018, 02:04 PM
It matters... C34 and I will give each other hell according to how it works out haha

If you lose, would that mean C34 = your daddy?

:cool:

bulldogcountry1
01-08-2018, 02:22 PM
I think Poole will be limited to defensive sub duties. I was actually surprised that he made the roster because he didn't seem to make any significant improvements at the plate in the fall.

msstate7
01-08-2018, 02:22 PM
If you lose, would that mean C34 = your daddy?

:cool:

If I lose 7 of 8, perhaps lol

Coach34
01-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Now that Grid is gone- I'd be fine with putting Belmont at SS. Hopefully his bat will improve enough to hit .240 in SEC play

BuckyIsAB****
01-08-2018, 03:37 PM
So natty or bust right

Coach34
01-08-2018, 03:41 PM
So natty or bust right

We should be in the hosting discussion with the pitching staff we have

BuckyIsAB****
01-08-2018, 03:45 PM
We should be in the hosting discussion with the pitching staff we have

Good good just making sure

Saltydog
01-08-2018, 04:12 PM
pitching and defense and Poole is a heck'uva outfielder. Yes, liability with the stick but he can flat out go get it in the OF and that's what Can loves about him.

bulldogcountry1
01-08-2018, 04:40 PM
If our pitching situation meets expectations, then Poole might be the best choice out there.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Just a few things I have heard:

- Stovall will start at................ catcher. Supposedly he's by far the best receiver we have.

- Look out for Ethan Small. Boom or bust guy that could steal the spotlight if it comes together.

- Really need Breaux to be a reliable piece out of the bullpen.

- We can pitch it but scoring runs will be a struggle. Really need Mangum to be what he was his freshman year & for Jordan Anderson to become a guy in the middle of the lineup.

Coach34
01-08-2018, 08:01 PM
damn dude- thats a buzzkill. If we have to move an All-SEC level 2nd baseman to Catcher we got problems

HoopsDawg
01-08-2018, 08:12 PM
damn dude- thats a buzzkill. If we have to move an All-SEC level 2nd baseman to Catcher we got problems

He was the Gatorade player of the year at Catcher in high school. It could open up another spot for a Tanner Allen or a Westburg. I don't see it happening though. I think Gilbert is the catcher.

Todd4State
01-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Just a few things I have heard:

- Stovall will start at................ catcher. Supposedly he's by far the best receiver we have.

- Look out for Ethan Small. Boom or bust guy that could steal the spotlight if it comes together.

- Really need Breaux to be a reliable piece out of the bullpen.

- We can pitch it but scoring runs will be a struggle. Really need Mangum to be what he was his freshman year & for Jordan Anderson to become a guy in the middle of the lineup.

Small has recovered very well from what I have heard. I think he starts on Sundays.

I'm not expecting a lot out of Breaux this year. I've heard that Riley Self has a shoulder injury and that's not a good thing.

If Stovall starts at catcher I'm guessing we start Tanner Allen at second base.

Cann is really high on Tanner Poole in just about every interview. Hopefully he can work his magic with Poole's bat.

Todd4State
01-08-2018, 10:12 PM
He was the Gatorade player of the year at Catcher in high school. It could open up another spot for a Tanner Allen or a Westburg. I don't see it happening though. I think Gilbert is the catcher.

I think Allen and Westburg could both be in the lineup. We'll see though.

Todd4State
01-08-2018, 10:14 PM
So natty or bust right

I'd give Cann a couple more years before we can talk National Title. We have some question marks for sure and Cann is just now starting to get his recruits to MSU. It's coming but not this year likely.

weblow
01-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Stovall isn’t starting at catcher. He will be at short or second. Whoever is saying catcher is giving you bad info.

Self......if his shoulder was hurt it isn’t anymore. he pitched for a solid 6 hours at the baseball camp this weekend. Yes, there was no velocity and it was rag ball but no way Cann has him throwing BP to a bunch of 6th graders and younger if his shoulder is hurt.

Tanner.....hope he has gotten better and will get better at the plate. He is an elite outfielder with wheels. has serious power.....just can’t hit a curveball. Let Cann work with him a little longer.

Jake looks like he has put on some weight.....I am guessing 5-10lbs. Just guessing here.

Pitching we are loaded.....end of story

Catcher.......if we have a catcher on the roster that will hit above .200, someone give me his name. This is my biggest concern. Not receiving pitches......but hitting a beach ball on a tee. Not sure we have a guy that can do it.

Cann will have the crew ready to play and he has one goal and one goal only in mind.......it is the one thing we have not done at MSU.

Coach34
01-08-2018, 10:29 PM

I know he can ****ing catch- but I'm saying I dont want to ****ing lose a top notch guy at 2B to to ****ing catch.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2018, 10:41 PM
I know he can ****ing catch- but I'm saying I dont want to ****ing lose a top notch guy at 2B to to ****ing catch.

I hear ya, but Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen and Jordan Westburg are all great defensive players. Gotta get production from everyone in the lineup this year to make up for the loss of Rooker.