PDA

View Full Version : Well, if we have to sacrifice one sport to the Indian gods...

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2018, 07:41 PM
It?s basketball, for me.

Football and baseball are where it?s at. Pray that we don?t screw those 2 up.

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2018, 11:02 PM
It?s basketball, for me.

Football and baseball are where it?s at. Pray that we don?t screw those 2 up.

I'd sell the entire baseball program for one SEC title in football or one Natty in men's basketball. College baseball is and always will be a minor niche sport.

Bdawg
01-06-2018, 11:10 PM
I'd sell the entire baseball program for one SEC title in football or one Natty in men's basketball. College baseball is and always will be a minor niche sport.

Although minor to you, baseball is not minor at this school. I would take a natty in anything at this point to break the ice. But of the big three, baseball is where it’s coming first.

bluelightstar
01-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Although minor to you, baseball is not minor at this school. I would take a natty in anything at this point to break the ice. But of the big three, baseball is where it?s coming first.

I think his point is that in the world of college sports, baseball is a distant third to the world at large.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Although minor to you, baseball is not minor at this school. I would take a natty in anything at this point to break the ice. But of the big three, baseball is where it’s coming first.

I keep hearing we are going to win one but am yet to see any results.

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2018, 11:22 PM

It's a minor sport nationally, not just to me.

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2018, 11:23 PM
I think his point is that in the world of college sports, baseball is a distant third to the world at large.

Exactly

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2018, 11:25 PM

Go home liverpool youre drunk

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Go home liverpool youre drunk

Yep, but I'd say the same thing tomorrow in church, those that know me will back that up. For one thing I'm NOT a baseball fan. I don't like the sport, it's just boring. Second: I'm dead right about how it's perceived nationally. The two MAJOR college sports are football and men's basketball. Baseball and women's basketball are about equal, but are still niche sports. Don't get me wrong, l fully support our baseball and women's basketball. I'd be over the moon if they won a natty. The thing is, most people nationwide wouldn't care or even be aware of it if we did. That's not the case for football or men's basketball.

preachermatt83
01-06-2018, 11:56 PM

Oh dear Lord!! Now way!!

Bdawg
01-07-2018, 12:07 AM

Well he was talking about our school sooooo...
But I can understand that thinking. And nationally, baseball might not be as big as basketball but in the sec I would say it’s bigger.

Liverpooldawg
01-07-2018, 12:11 AM
Well he was talking about our school sooooo...

Actually I was saying we go all in on a niche college sport that very few care about, or are even aware of.

Bdawg
01-07-2018, 12:14 AM
Actually I was saying we go all in on a niche college sport that very few care about, or are even aware of.

I edited my post a little

Coach34
01-07-2018, 12:20 AM
holy ******* Liverpool- nobody in the ****ing world except you thinks women basketball is equal to baseball. What the **** is wrong with you? Did you eat paint chips as a child?

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Yep, but I'd say the same thing tomorrow in church, those that know me will back that up. For one thing I'm NOT a baseball fan. I don't like the sport, it's just boring. Second: I'm dead right about how it's perceived nationally. The two MAJOR college sports are football and men's basketball. Baseball and women's basketball are about equal, but are still niche sports. Don't get me wrong, l fully support our baseball and women's basketball. I'd be over the moon if they won a natty. The thing is, most people nationwide wouldn't care or even be aware of it if we did. That's not the case for football or men's basketball.

Well no shit youd sell the one sport program that you're not a fan of. Im just gonna be real with you, Mississippi State folk would dump basketball before they dumped baseball. OM would do the same.

And judging by the coverage college baseball is getting on TV nowadays, the sell out crowds and then some at schools in the SEC, plus the crowds at Omaha, I'd say college baseball is pretty well known nationally.

Liverpooldawg
01-07-2018, 01:02 AM
holy ******* Liverpool- nobody in the ****ing world except you thinks women basketball is equal to baseball. What the **** is wrong with you? Did you eat paint chips as a child?

In college it is 34. They are both niche sports with local appeal. Baseball is a huge sport, but it's pro based. College baseball is like college hockey up north. Hockey is pro based as well. Women's basketball has little appeal when compared to the pro based sports of hockey and baseball, but in college it holds its own. That really isn't debatable 34. Only provincials would even attempt it.

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2018, 01:06 AM
In college it is 34. They are both niche sports with local appeal. Baseball is a huge sport, but it's pro based. College baseball is like college hockey up north. Hockey is pro based as well. Women's basketball has little appeal when compared to the pro based sports of hockey and baseball, but in college it holds its own. That really isn't debatable 34. Only provincials would even attempt it.

Basketball is the biggest pro based sport in the country. Cmon bro

Liverpooldawg
01-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Well no shit youd sell the one sport program that you're not a fan of. Im just gonna be real with you, Mississippi State folk would dump basketball before they dumped baseball. OM would do the same.

A national championship in men's basketball is a national event, March Madness is a national intstitution. The college World Series is a big deal, for those involved. The casual neutral fan could care less. I know baseball, is huge for MSU, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is nationally in college. It's not. Baseball is a pro sport.

Liverpooldawg
01-07-2018, 01:13 AM
Basketball is the biggest pro based sport in the country. Cmon bro

Jeeze man, March Madness is freaking huge. How many office pools are there for the college wourld series? I even won one in grad school for March Madness. Nobody there cared enough to start one for the NCAA baseball championships. For the record, that was in Mississippi, one of the places that actually does follow college baseball

Bothrops
01-07-2018, 12:48 PM
The college game has changed in men's basketball. Many of the top programs are no longer winning consistently. Highly rated players can no longer shoot any better than your average 45 year old man shopping at the local sporting goods store. The rating system needs to be re-evaluated.

Coach34
01-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Attendance is higher for SEC baseball than SEC Women's basketball- and you actually have to pay to get into baseball games

bulldawg28
01-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Attendance is higher for SEC baseball than SEC Women's basketball- and you actually have to pay to get into baseball games

You have to pay for both

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Just to be clear,ESPN never has or even now talks about college baseball. That should tell you something.

MadDawg
01-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Last year (2017) the College World Series had more viewers than the College Softball World Series for the first time since 2014.

So college baseball is just barely watched more than women's softball.

Jack Lambert
01-08-2018, 11:58 AM

I think when you are getting three times the number of fans to a baseball game then you are basketball I think baseball is more important. But then we get more people to baseball then a lot of p 5 get to basketball.

LC Dawg
01-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Baseball may be more important to a lot of Mississippi State people but it is no contest in that a national championship in men's basketball is much more prestigious. The Hump is not real big and its not real nice but there was a nice little period of time when we had one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the country. Now we have students who go their entire time at State that don't see any basketball success and apathy has set in for a lot of people. I loved it when the Hump was rocking and I would much rather have a natty in basketball than baseball but we have proven we can be successful at all the big three sports so why worry about limiting it.
For what it's worth I think we get one in women's basketball before any of the men's sports.

Liverpooldawg
01-08-2018, 01:17 PM

And attendance for women's basketball is higher in some others. Both are niche sports. At MSU you have to pay to get in to women's basketball. That tells me you haven't been to a game in a while.

Liverpooldawg
01-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Last year (2017) the College World Series had more viewers than the College Softball World Series for the first time since 2014.

So college baseball is just barely watched more than women's softball.

Exactly.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
It's a minor sport nationally, not just to me.

Did you miss this part?

baseball is not minor at this school

He said it is not AT THIS SCHOOL. If we are dropping 55 million on a new stadium for something minor then I want to see what we will build if it was major.

Liverpooldawg
01-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Did you miss this part?

He said it is not AT THIS SCHOOL. If we are dropping 55 million on a new stadium for something minor then I want to see what we will build if it was major.

And did you miss where I didn’t qualify it by region? Nationally college baseball is a niche sport. It’s niche is basically the South when it comes to big crowds. There are a few exceptions, but then UAH has hockey too.

Commercecomet24
01-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Now that was funny!!!

Commercecomet24
01-08-2018, 03:33 PM
I think when you are getting three times the number of fans to a baseball game then you are basketball I think baseball is more important. But then we get more people to baseball then a lot of p 5 get to basketball.

Heck Jack our attendance at baseball games is better than usm attendance at football games. I'm only half kidding.

BuckyIsAB****
01-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Just to be clear,ESPN never has or even now talks about college baseball. That should tell you something.

Well for one the season hasnt started yet. When the season starts it will be all over SECN and when the tourney gets here they show every single game.

No theres not a ''College Baseball Live'' but who the hell watches college football live or nfl live. Nobody watches any of that shit

Liverpooldawg
01-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Well for one the season hasnt started yet. When the season starts it will be all over SECN and when the tourney gets here they show every single game.

No theres not a ''College Baseball Live'' but who the hell watches college football live or nfl live. Nobody watches any of that shit
They don’t show the NCAA tourny till the supers, correct me if I’m wrong. They do show the SEC tourney in the SEC Network.

BuckyIsAB****
01-08-2018, 03:53 PM
They don’t show the NCAA tourny till the supers, correct me if I’m wrong. They do show the SEC tourney in the SEC Network.

They show the tourney during regionals. And some nationally televised games during the season, State vs LSU is shown nationally every year just about

Dawg61
01-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Only people that sucked at playing baseball or never played it say baseball is boring. Liverpool you stan 3rd tier Irish soccer leagues. Get the **** off a Mississippi State site with your "baseball sucks and is boring" comments. Trollpool gunna Trollpool.

Ari Gold
01-08-2018, 06:08 PM
If your an SEC school these are the top 4 in this order...
Football
Basketball (men)
Baseball
Women (hoops)

If your top 3 are not these , yeah that includes you Kentucky hoops, you need to get the **** out of the conference.

You may like baseball better than basketball or even football. And that’s fine. But this is the order of importance