PDA

View Full Version : You want a crowd Howland?

Bodaski
01-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Quit losing to OM and Andy Kennedy 8 out of 9 games. You need to understand the importance of the basketball bowl my man, and so far you haven't scratched the surface. Maybe Dr. Keenum and the IB need to have a meeting witrh you to help you understand the importance of playing OM.

Todd4State
01-06-2018, 07:00 PM
If he doesn't beat them in Starkville in February I'm done with him.

Especially after that shit show today.

Bully13
01-06-2018, 07:02 PM
right now, 17 Howland and his pussiiii players. they are all pussiiis. no fight, no desire. not acceptable.

msstate7
01-06-2018, 07:07 PM
If he doesn't beat them in Starkville in February I'm done with him.

Especially after that shit show today.

Me too. We are better and more talented... no excuses. Kermit Davis can come coach our team to an NCAA bid without a doubt

maroonmania
01-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Me too. We are better and more talented... no excuses. Kermit Davis can come coach our team to an NCAA bid without a doubt

I'm starting to just accept that maybe Howland is a better recruiter than coach. We don't seem to play with any sense of urgency and how do we have so many guys that can't make baskets.

Bully13
01-06-2018, 07:29 PM
you just don't throw away a 10 point lead to Ole Miss when we've have been bitch slapped for so long by the cksuckers from up north. you just don't let this shit happen. if the CA dude can't figure that shit out, he needs to go back to CA and 17ing retire.

17 this shit.

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2018, 07:30 PM
you just don't throw away a 10 point lead to Ole Miss when we've have been bitch slapped for so long by the cksuckers from up north. you just don't let this shit happen. if the CA dude can't figure that shit out, he needs to go back to CA and 17ing retire.

17 this shit.

We blew 2 double digit leads

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-06-2018, 08:10 PM
I don?t know shit about basketball, but I do know that most sports teams take on the personality of the coach. Howland is passive and laid back and never seems to show any fight in his emotions. To me, the team does the same.

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2018, 08:49 PM
If I’m Cohen, I’d be whispering in Kermit’s ear RIGHT NOW. He knows how to beat ole piss.

smootness
01-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Good grief, you people are insane.

preachermatt83
01-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Amen!!!

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Howland will get us to NIT, but the talent on this team should be NCAA. Does the addition of Perry and Woodard make a difference? Because that will be the earliest this team will sniff the big tourney.

TALL DAWG
01-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Howland will get us to NIT, but the talent on this team should be NCAA. Does the addition of Perry and Woodard make a difference? Because that will be the earliest this team will sniff the big tourney.

NO, these posters are not insane!
Howland needs his pay docked for
?Non-coaching? tonight. When the dang 3 pt shot was not falling in 2nd half...at the 7-9 minute mark....he should have told every player to drive in and cut that shot down 3-6?.
We had a 11-pt lead with around 10 minutes left and we made 2 FG?s, went like 0-10 from 3 land, had several turnovers and made like 3 of 5 free throws...and got bet. What did we go 0-14 from 3 land in 2nd half...with some being wide a$$ open?!?! That is damn PITIFUL against a bad team with a lame duck ?international altercation? coach. NOT acceptable at all.

bluelightstar
01-06-2018, 10:17 PM

It?s insanity

HoopsDawg
01-06-2018, 11:02 PM

They are good players and so is Stewart, but they aren't really perimeter players. Shooting the basketball is still going to be an issue.

TXDawg
01-06-2018, 11:24 PM
The failure to adjust to the UMiss extended zone defense is what’s unacceptable. UMiss started running that look late in the first half and we had no answer. They went back to it at around the 8:00 mark of the second half and we STILL had no answer - all we could do was pass back and forth on the outside.

Kennedy knew what would work and Howland had no answer.

TALL DAWG
01-06-2018, 11:30 PM
They are good players and so is Stewart, but they aren't really perimeter players. Shooting the basketball is still going to be an issue.

Do not EVER get ur hopes up of true freshmen coming in and getting us over the hump. We need our upper classman to get their tails in our ?fabulous? training facility during the off season and get stronger.
Appears most of our players didn?t lay eyes on a weight machine this past summer. Carter, Q nor Peters do not appear any stronger over last year whatsoever. That?s really unacceptable.

Mutt the Hoople
01-07-2018, 01:07 AM

And that's the way we like it.

Todd4State
01-07-2018, 01:29 AM

I'll take the NIT right now and be happy with it with this group.

The thing that's tough to swallow right now is I don't think today was necessarily about talent. It was more about coaching to me- or lack thereof.

And if you say "well we don't have anyone that can shoot the ball and that's talent"- I get that. But that being the case our coach needs to tell our guys to stop shooting so many threes and make some kidn of adjustment rather than just standing there with his thumb up his ass while guys are just jacking up threes and missing every time. Work with what you got.

Todd4State
01-07-2018, 01:31 AM
Do not EVER get ur hopes up of true freshmen coming in and getting us over the hump. We need our upper classman to get their tails in our ?fabulous? training facility during the off season and get stronger.
Appears most of our players didn?t lay eyes on a weight machine this past summer. Carter, Q nor Peters do not appear any stronger over last year whatsoever. That?s really unacceptable.

The fact that we don't have any quality seniors doesn't help either. It doesn't look like there is much leadership on the floor at all. We need a Timmy Bowers badly.

Dawg61
01-07-2018, 01:55 AM

17 this shit.

Calm down woman

MarketingBully
01-07-2018, 05:27 AM
Man you guys are over emotional as shit. We lost the game today for two reasons: 0-13 from 3pt land in the second half and 9-17 from the freethrow line. Can’t win on the road and do that. This team needs leadership from Q, Stapleton, and Holman in the worst way. Road wins in the SEC this year will be at a premium. I’ll be happy with a 9-9 or 10-8 record in the SEC this year. We are still most definitely on track to do that. If you are close enough to the Hump next Saturday you need to pack it. We still have an excellent shot to start the SEC 3-2.

msstate7
01-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Man you guys are over emotional as shit. We lost the game today for two reasons: 0-13 from 3pt land in the second half and 9-17 from the freethrow line. Can’t win on the road and do that. This team needs leadership from Q, Stapleton, and Holman in the worst way. Road wins in the SEC this year will be at a premium. I’ll be happy with a 9-9 or 10-8 record in the SEC this year. We are still most definitely on track to do that. If you are close enough to the Hump next Saturday you need to pack it. We still have an excellent shot to start the SEC 3-2.

Well FT% and 3-pt% should not be surprising... we are 14th in the sec in both. What is frustrating is we are 5th in the sec in fg%. We shoot over 60% from 2, yet we continually throw up 3s (6th in sec in 3-pt attempts). Howland needs to pull some green lights from 3-pt

3rdGen
01-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Well FT% and 3-pt% should not be surprising... we are 14th in the sec in both. What is frustrating is we are 5th in the sec in fg%. We shoot over 60% from 2, yet we continually throw up 3s (6th in sec in 3-pt attempts). Howland needs to pull some green lights from 3-pt

Drive to the GD BASKET! Stop shooting so many 3’s. Hit your free throws. Problem solved.

IMissJack
01-07-2018, 02:50 PM
The failure to adjust to the UMiss extended zone defense is what?s unacceptable. UMiss started running that look late in the first half and we had no answer. They went back to it at around the 8:00 mark of the second half and we STILL had no answer - all we could do was pass back and forth on the outside.

Kennedy knew what would work and Howland had no answer.

The answer is your players have to make some shots when the opponent will not let you inside the paint. We shot 3's the worst I have ever seen in the modern era. Now it is on Howland to recruit some shooters, but bottom line they have to make a few shots. This team has more recruiting stars than most of ours have had, and we shoot from the perimeter worse than many HS teams.

MarketingBully
01-07-2018, 02:58 PM
The answer is your players have to make some shots when the opponent will not let you inside the paint. We shot 3's the worst I have ever seen in the modern era. Now it is on Howland to recruit some shooters, but bottom line they have to make a few shots. This team has more recruiting stars than most of ours have had, and we shoot from the perimeter worse than many HS teams.

Tyson Carter and Q are career above 40% 3-point shooters and those two alone had three great wide open looks those kids should bury 9 times out of 10. Nick also missed a three from the same area of the court he made one on Tuesday. That’s three good to great shooters that missed four wide open shots. At this point it’s got to be a mental thing because we have shooters but this year for whatever reason they have sucked ass.

maroonmania
01-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Well FT% and 3-pt% should not be surprising... we are 14th in the sec in both.

Wow, did not realize we were the worst in the SEC in both categories. That will lose you a lot of games right there. We can't get folks out of a zone by making perimeter shots AND if we focus on just driving to the basket then all people have to do is hammer us and send us to the foul line where we aren't very good either. That's a bad combination.

'

MarketingBully
01-07-2018, 03:32 PM
I take it back. This is completely on Howland and using that arc machine that Golden State uses. IMO it led to the loss yesterday and could lead to losses in the future if he doesn’t use that thing properly. If we are just showing kids what’s wrong with their shot and they aren’t putting in the necessary work on their own to fix it or we aren’t dedicating time in practice to fix it, it will lead to this crap. I doubt any of our players are doing what Steph Curry is doing which is the proper way to use the arc machine:

Curry shoots around 2,000 shots a week: He takes a minimum of 250 a day, plus another 100 before every game.

Dawg61
01-07-2018, 05:10 PM
I take it back. This is completely on Howland and using that arc machine that Golden State uses. IMO it led to the loss yesterday and could lead to losses in the future if he doesn’t use that thing properly. If we are just showing kids what’s wrong with their shot and they aren’t putting in the necessary work on their own to fix it or we aren’t dedicating time in practice to fix it, it will lead to this crap. I doubt any of our players are doing what Steph Curry is doing which is the proper way to use the arc machine:

Curry shoots around 2,000 shots a week: He takes a minimum of 250 a day, plus another 100 before every game.

Curry also has flawless mechanics. Gotta teach proper mechanics first before trying to fix thousands of hours of muscle memory.

whosyourdawgy
01-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Imo to win close games Stapleton has to be on the bench. He?s a liability on D with his reaching ass stupid fouls and a liability on the offensive end because if we god forbid pass him the ball he?s gonna shoot it regardless of scenario. He by no means is the sole reason we blew that game yesterday but he did miss 2 gimmie put backs on offensive boards and fired up some awful 3?s that killed us even more. He should be a 5 minute energy guy off the bench and back on it IMO.

Dawg61
01-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Imo to win close games Stapleton has to be on the bench. He?s a liability on D with his reaching ass stupid fouls and a liability on the offensive end because if we god forbid pass him the ball he?s gonna shoot it regardless of scenario. He by no means is the sole reason we blew that game yesterday but he did miss 2 gimmie put backs on offensive boards and fired up some awful 3?s that killed us even more. He should be a 5 minute energy guy off the bench and back on it IMO.

Rotation/minutes were so out of whack yesterday cause of Ado's foul trouble and Howland's lack of trust in playing Datcher extended minutes cause of it. Wright played a bunch and Carter didn't also cause of it I think.

gravedigger
01-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Quit losing to OM and Andy Kennedy 8 out of 9 games. You need to understand the importance of the basketball bowl my man, and so far you haven't scratched the surface. Maybe Dr. Keenum and the IB need to have a meeting witrh you to help you understand the importance of playing OM.

I?ve always noticed that a zone doesn?t work well vs teams who are active off ball. If the backside offensive players move aggressively and force low post defenders to make a choice on the baseline who to guard, layups and alley oop shots are open.

The notion that a zone must be negated by shooting over it is antiquated

War Machine Dawg
01-07-2018, 10:10 PM
I'll take the NIT right now and be happy with it with this group.

The thing that's tough to swallow right now is I don't think today was necessarily about talent. It was more about coaching to me- or lack thereof.

And if you say "well we don't have anyone that can shoot the ball and that's talent"- I get that. But that being the case our coach needs to tell our guys to stop shooting so many threes and make some kidn of adjustment rather than just standing there with his thumb up his ass while guys are just jacking up threes and missing every time. Work with what you got.

Nailed it. Say whatever you will, but Kennedy outcoached Howland yesterday. I repeat: Andy mother17ing Kennedy outcoached Ben Howland. That's not acceptable. And it started in the first half. Northern Miss switched to the 1-3-1 late in the first half and we had no answer. Ok, fine, surprises happen. We'll adjust at halftime, right? Wrong. ZERO halftime adjustments from Howland. The second half was an abortion. By the last 5 minutes I'd begun to look on the bench for Stands, because it was a classic Stands offensive performance: Pass around the perimeter, refuse to drive, jack up an awful 3. Rinse, repeat. We're the better team, but they were better coached yesterday. I'm not saying Howland isn't good, because his track record says otherwise. But unless he gets his ass in gear and starts winning, he can GTFO as far as I'm concerned.

Dawg61
01-07-2018, 11:19 PM
But unless he gets his ass in gear and starts winning, he can GTFO as far as I'm concerned.

When are you gonna get your ass in gear and not have a shitty post? Nobody goes from a 16-16 team to never losing. Doesn't happen in SEC basketball. This team still has to take some lumps before we can get to the territory of only 6-8 losses in a season. Last night they kept saying over and over it'd been 14 years since we'd been 13-1. So Howland has already done something that hadn't happened here since 2003. Oh yea and he just beat a ranked team for the first time since 2011.

Ole Miss was favored last night. We still have a very young team and they froze up with the lead late in the game. They stopped driving to the basket and getting to the free throw line and when they did they missed their free throws. They will learn from this loss. We should have been driving to the basket the last ten minutes of the game. Do that alone and we win this game. Howland will fix that immediately. I feel confident. I don't however feel confident you will stop being a blowhard hard ass shitty poster.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Yes! I wish the idiots that are giving ultimatums would just go ahead and turn your fan card in now because you are not a true fan anyway. True colors sure come out after a loss and it doesn't look like maroon.

LC Dawg
01-08-2018, 09:48 AM
I was traveling Saturday so I listened to the broadcast and during the pregame Richard Williams said one thing you knew you were going to get from Ole Miss was the 1-3-1 zone. He described how they rotated to a 2-3 out of it and that Andy Kennedy had stolen it from Kermit Davis because Davis kept beating him with it. Coach Williams also described how to attack the zone which started with getting the ball quickly to the baseline.
I don't know if the 1-3-1 surprised our players but if it did that is unacceptable. I lost the signal in the 2nd half but from reading it seems like we tried to shoot our way out of the zone which obviously didn't work.

CarolinaDawgs
01-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Carter had 2 shots in the final 3 minutes that hit everything but the bottom of the net. Cant shoot it any better. Both shots were at critical points in the game. Make 1 and we win. Im not freaking.

I'm more concerned with our defensive effort against Florida. Been there all year and need it to stay after a discouraging loss.

tcdog70
01-08-2018, 10:44 AM
We were the underdog and we were on the road. Why is everyone freaking out. Do y'all think we won't lose some games? We got our big man in foul trouble, we shot free throws like shit a d then in the second half we missed some wide open 3s. None of that is Howlands fault. I'm not sure having X in he game at the end was wise. He is too unstable, He thinks he is Michael Jordan. We need Q-Nick or Carter or better yet Holman shooting 3's at the end of a close game. I can live or die with them . The problem with throwing the ball into Ado in a close game is they will foul Him and he can'T
make free throws. We are a pretty good team, that hasn't matured yet--we will--have some faith.

LC Dawg
01-08-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm not freaking out but Saturday should not have happened. Arkansas came into the Hump and played us close pretty much the entire game and we beat them. Those type road losses happen and you just have to live with them. We lost two completely separate double digit leads. I don't care if we are an underdog or we are on the road if we have a double digit lead halfway through the 2nd half we should win the game.

CarolinaDawgs
01-08-2018, 11:10 AM
I'm not freaking out but Saturday should not have happened. Arkansas came into the Hump and played us close pretty much the entire game and we beat them. Those type road losses happen and you just have to live with them. We lost two completely separate double digit leads. I don't care if we are an underdog or we are on the road if we have a double digit lead halfway through the 2nd half we should win the game.

We did exactly to Arkansas as to what OM did to us. It's the nature of playing a road game.

ETA we also shot 28 more FTs than Arkansas

Dawg61
01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
ETA we also shot 28 more FTs than Arkansas

This is why we lost vs OM. We had them on the ropes up 10 in 2nd half. That's when we MUST drive to the basket or get the ball down low every possession. Teams can't come back on you when you do that. Howland needs to trust Datcher more. He's an great FT shooter and he's way more skilled offensively than Ado. So is Feazell who got zero minutes vs OM.

parabrave
01-08-2018, 01:49 PM
The fact that we don't have any quality seniors doesn't help either. It doesn't look like there is much leadership on the floor at all. We need a Timmy Bowers badly.

Heck I would take a Gary Ervin. At least he knew he had to drive to the basket.

tcdog70
01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Heck I would take a Gary Ervin. At least he knew he had to drive to the basket.

ha, you just lost all credibility There is no way in hell we need Gary Irvin. Q and Nick and Lamar are better than Gary. .

I_Spy
01-08-2018, 03:54 PM
I think our guys are good, to me (because this situations happens all the time is sports) if you are up 10, either you will build a larger lead and roll a team, or the other team will make a push, if so you must find a hot hand to stay on top. Whether at the rim, or guards shooting their reps still but getting offensive rebounds if they miss (how many times does VV get her own rebound off her own miss, hustle is what I mean). Steals fight something. We were not prepared. I know we are young but we were better than OM and should have won fairly easily.

I_Spy
01-08-2018, 03:55 PM
You can’t spend a half searching for a hot hand, make one is all. Or go to rim essentially.

Ari Gold
01-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Shit I thought our fans were out of touch with Football.
Basketball is 10x worse..

Just little FYI saw this today.
CBH and CVS records at this time in their coaching careers ( first 2 and half years ) at MSU are basically identical..

parabrave
01-08-2018, 06:12 PM
ha, you just lost all credibility There is no way in hell we need Gary Irvin. Q and Nick and Lamar are better than Gary. .

Sorry forgot these ***