PDA

View Full Version : He's Baaaack

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2018, 10:57 PM
From Sweat's instagram.

Looks like the SEC's sack leader will be returning for his SR year. YUGE, YUGE I tell ya.

After losing Bear, B Brown, J Rob, & having Fred Brown kicked out of school in 2015, it's nice to catch a break this time.

It's fairly official at this point that the 2018 Mississippi State Bulldogs will be the most talented football team our school has ever put on the field. If you don't believe this, please come with some evidence to the contrary.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS1DWFEUMAAtQm3.jpg

Commercecomet24
01-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Looks like Coach JoMo doing good work. This is almost like picking up another big time recruit. Glad Montez realizes how much more he can raise his stock with another big year. Could be Myles Garrett 2.0.

Willy Lump Lump
01-05-2018, 11:03 PM
From Sweat's instagram.

Looks like the SEC's sack leader will be returning for his SR year. YUGE, YUGE I tell ya.

After losing Bear, B Brown, J Rob, & having Fred Brown kicked out of school in 2015, it's nice to catch a break this time.

It's fairly official at this point that the 2018 Mississippi State Bulldogs will be the most talented football team our school has ever put on the field. If you don't believe this, please come with some evidence to the contrary.

110 sacks seems like an unrealistic goal...

PassInterference
01-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Defense gonna be saaaalty.

Need 1 or 2 of these new WRs to be ballers immediately and we could be really good.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Defense gonna be saaaalty.

Need 1 or 2 of these new WRs to be ballers immediately and we could be really good.

The WRs & Fitz's development & capacity to run the new offense are the key.

What we really need are more big plays on offense. As good as we were at times on offense, you simply can't rely on 10+ play drives to beat Bama.

One of the main reasons that OM had so much success against Bama was that they were able to get big plays out of their WRs & have short drives that produced points.

The current big plays on our offense are 15 or 20 yard runs by our QB or RBs. We've got to find some 40 yard passes or 60 yard bombs that make those safeties pull back allow our running game to be even better.

PassInterference
01-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Fitz had better develop more than the kid behind him.

Homedawg
01-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Don't start. It's fitz' job.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Here's the thing.

I believe Keytaon is gonna be unreal & awesome, but we need Fitz to be the starter for this team.

This is Fitz's team. He has been through the wars of the SEC, has led comebacks, & takes shots & gotten back up. He is the guy that has the experience & is primed to do this.

I realize there may be many Keytaon fans out there but we need Fitz to excel in this offense & lead this team.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Here's the thing.

I believe Keytaon is gonna be unreal & awesome, but we need Fitz to be the starter for this team.

This is Fitz's team. He has been through the wars of the SEC, has led comebacks, & takes shots & gotten back up. He is the guy that has the experience & is primed to do this.

I realize there may be many Keytaon fans out there but we need Fitz to excel in this offense & lead this team.

Fitz will get it done. The kid has shown us his heart. He?s a winner. He?s gonna turn it up a notch this coming year. Kids got a chip on his shoulder and he?ll be ready.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2018, 11:25 PM
Fitz will get it done. The kid has shown us his heart. He?s a winner. He?s gonna turn it up a notch this coming year. Kids got a chip on his shoulder and he?ll be ready.

The one thing I wish Fitz could learn to do that appears to come natural to Key is step into his throws.

I can't remember Key throwing off his back foot at all when he played this year. He climbs the pocket & drives the ball better than Fitz. Fitz has a strong arm but, due to throwing off his back foot, air mails the ball. Having non-midgets WRs should really help Fitz though

Commercecomet24
01-05-2018, 11:29 PM
The one thing I wish Fitz could learn to do that appears to come natural to Key is step into his throws.

I can't remember Key throwing off his back foot at all when he played this year. He climbs the pocket & drives the ball better than Fitz. Fitz has a strong arm but, due to throwing off his back foot, air mails the ball. Having non-midgets WRs should really help Fitz though

The new wr gonna help for sure. I?d also be willing to bet Joe refines his mechanics a little more. Joes offense depends a lot on deep balls so it would stand to reason joe can coach up a qb in throwing, especially the deep ball. Mcsorley was a short 3 Star and look what he did for him. Key is definitely more polished than nick or Dak were at this point in their development but this is Fitz team.

msstate7
01-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Sweat back is huge. Our dline has potential to the best in the sec, which means among the best in the country.

Todd4State
01-05-2018, 11:38 PM
AWWWWWWWYEEEEAAAAAHHHH!

I hope this means he is definitely coming back for sure. Would be absolutely huge.

As far as Fitz and Key- Fitz should start. This is his team and he is THE leader. Fitz hasn't done anything to warrant losing the QB job. Thing is I expect Key to play a good but like Penn State did with McSorley and Tommy Stevens their back up. (I think that's the name of their back-up)

Key is going to be really good but he still needs to develop some with his passing even though he is further along than Fitz and Dak at this point in his career.

Bothrops
01-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Yuge! Excellente!

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2018, 11:47 PM
From Sweat's instagram.

If true, and it looks like it is, lock and load boys, if JoMo and his staff are competent, and think they are more than that, next year could be a very special year.

RougeDawg
01-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Just upgrading our WR crew will help Fitz tremendously. He had to have 60+ dropped
Passes this year or more. That?s only 5 per game and that seems conservative with how many catchable balls I watched fall to the turf.

Treemydawg
01-06-2018, 12:08 AM
This guy disagrees about 110 sacks***

RougeDawg
01-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Anyone thinking Key should start over Fitz needs a head exam. He played well but still made some mistakes. He needs more development. I will also add that it appeared that our WR started improving immediately after Gonzo departed. They made some nice catches in Gator Bowl and did not have the dropsies like they had had most of the season.

It?s not even worth a conversation at this point. We have a QB who is a lot to break all of Dak?s rushing records and move into 2nd place in just about all passing categories. Drop it before you start something that rips the team apart.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Just upgrading our WR crew will help Fitz tremendously. He had to have 60+ dropped
Passes this year or more. That?s only 5 per game and that seems conservative with how many catchable balls I watched fall to the turf.

Agree on that. He could improve his accuracy for sure but we dropped a ton for him. Fitz threw some balls into tight coverage that were absolute dimes that were dropped as well.

Dawg61
01-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Merry Christmas!! I love 2018

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2018, 01:24 AM

No. Stop it. Fitz is better than Key its not close

preachermatt83
01-06-2018, 01:37 AM
The new wr gonna help for sure. I?d also be willing to bet Joe refines his mechanics a little more. Joes offense depends a lot on deep balls so it would stand to reason joe can coach up a qb in throwing especially the deep ball. Mcsorley was a short 3 Star and look what he did for him. Key is definitely more polished than nick or Dak were at this point in their development

Great post!

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 07:54 AM
From Sweat's instagram.

The 1999 team is better until proven different. You had All Americans and All SEC players on both sides of the ball then. It ain't even close on paper

dawgoneyall
01-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Fritz had better stay better than the kid behind him.

Todd4State
01-06-2018, 08:49 AM
The 1999 team is better until proven different. You had All Americans and All SEC players on both sides of the ball then. It ain't even close on paper

I love the 1999 team but we had some issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Too soon to know but the 2018 team will get a chance to prove their merits in the fall but the potential is there.

1bigdawg
01-06-2018, 09:09 AM
One thing that is being overlooked is WR development. I believe our CURRENT WRs will look much better with a year's experience and coaching.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:16 AM

Yeah, but I?d venture to say that half of those were on Fitz.

I realize the old saying that if it touches your hands you should catch it, but that?s not always the case. Fitz throw heat seeking missles that are many times too hard and lack touch

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Just looked at the 1999 Roster : https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/mississippi-state/1999-roster.html

I think the teams are pretty comparable in the trenches but IMO the 2008 team will have more explosive skill position players and better depth.

The 99 team was a damn good roster though. It’s definitly the only contender

BulldogDX55
01-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Just looked at the 1999 Roster : https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/mississippi-state/1999-roster.html

I think the teams are pretty comparable in the trenches but IMO the 2008 team will have more explosive skill position players and better depth.

I dunno man, I?d take 1999 over 2008 any day. 2008 got Croom fires a year after being the SEC CotY.

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 09:37 AM

We don't have 1 All American listed on the 2018 team. That team had 5-6 alone. That's not including all SEC

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 09:38 AM
I love the 1999 team but we had some issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Too soon to know but the 2018 team will get a chance to prove their merits in the fall but the potential is there.

The offensive team in 99 would score at least 35 on the 2018 team. That big offensive line would wear them out. Our 2018 offense would maybe score one touchdown, but I doubt that

msstate7
01-06-2018, 09:42 AM
The offensive team in 99 would score at least 35 on the 2018 team. That big offensive line would wear them out. Our 2018 offense would maybe score one touchdown, but I doubt that

28, you know I love you, right? Come on mane... 1999 State broke 30 twice all year, mtsu and vandy

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:42 AM

I don’t agree with this at all.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:43 AM
28, you know I love you, right? Come on mane... 1999 State broke 30 twice all year, mtsu and vandy

Which is why 2008 is better. More skill position players and better QB play

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:45 AM
We don't have 1 All American listed on the 2018 team. That team had 5-6 alone.

The 2018 team will have more NFL players. I can’t control who the media votes for All American and that isn’t really about talent.

Additionally, the 1999 team was competing in a probation ridden SEC West.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Fitz and Key would run circles around Madkin and Wyatt

That alone makes this almost a mute discussion.

msstate7
01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Which is why 2008 is better. More skill position players and better QB play

I suppose you mean 2018, right?

Jarius
01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
I wish there was a way to redshirt Key next year and give him 3 years to be the guy.

msstate7
01-06-2018, 10:05 AM
I wish there was a way to redshirt Key next year and give him 3 years to be the guy.

Might cost you mayden.

IMissJack
01-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah, but I?d venture to say that half of those were on Fitz.

I realize the old saying that if it touches your hands you should catch it, but that?s not always the case. Fitz throw heat seeking missles that are many times too hard and lack touch

You add half of the drops and non catches to the completions/yardage side of the ledger and Fitz's numbers look wonderful. That's like saying I won $500M in a lottery, but only get to keep half. So what, you still got $250M.

RocketDawg
01-06-2018, 10:09 AM

That alone makes this almost a mute [moot] discussion.

Absolutely

Jarius
01-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Might cost you mayden.

Mayden is an unknown. We know that Key is going to be good. I would like to keep the one we know is
Going to be good for an extra year. I doubt we can redshirt him unless they pass the rule where a player can play in 4 games and still redshirt.

Coach34
01-06-2018, 10:42 AM

oh good lawd- I loved the 99 team but this is absolute nonsense. The 99 team had trouble scoring all year

That "big offensive line" in 1999 only averaged 102.6 ypg rushing. Thats awful

QB? 2018
RB? Push
OL? 2018
TE? 1999 on talent but 2018 will be used better
WR? Push
DL? 2018
LB? 1999
Safety? 2018
CB? 1999

1999's D was special and innovative by JLD. But 2018 has more NFL talent on it and you cant even compare the offenses. 1999's was not very good at all. We won in spite of it

13 points vs Memphis
17 points vs SC
18 points vs Aub
17 points vs LSU
23 points vs Kentucky
7 points vs Bama
9 points vs UPig

Coach34
01-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Mayden is an unknown. We know that Key is going to be good. I would like to keep the one we know is
Going to be good for an extra year. I doubt we can redshirt him unless they pass the rule where a player can play in 4 games and still redshirt.

Thompson will do his 4 years then move on to the NFL. He doesnt need the RS year to develop the way Dak and Fitz did before getting drafted. But Thompson being the 3rd QB drafted in a row from State will be huge for the program

Bully13
01-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Might cost you mayden.

Yep. There is a particular cost paid when you start signing elite qb's with Sunday aspirations. You gotta let the red shirt option be theirs, not yours.

Bdawg
01-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Sorry but that O ain?t touching 35 on this D. And if this past years offense could put up some points on Bama then they could put up more than 7 on that ?99 D. That would be a tough matchup though

Bully13
01-06-2018, 11:05 AM
This news on Sweat is sweet. Just not used to this kinda good shit for MSU. Sweat would be my no 1 option to have an adult beverage with now. Would love to hear what all went onto the decision. Bet it had something to do with who all he's gonna be playing along side with. Gonna have a shot putting up some sick numbers this year.

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Lmao

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 11:37 AM
The 2018 offense wouldn't score a touchdown against the 1999 defense. If it came down to a field goal Westerfield was the man.

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 11:41 AM
The 2018 team will have more NFL players. I can?t control who the media votes for All American and that isn?t really about talent.

Additionally, the 1999 team was competing in a probation ridden SEC West.

What? More NFL Talent? Are you serious? They had NFL players on every level on offense and defense. You're Expecting true freshman to play like seasoned veterans. It ain't happening.

Coach34
01-06-2018, 11:43 AM
The 2018 offense wouldn't score a touchdown against the 1999 defense.

so now we know which team you played on

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 11:46 AM

That alone makes this almost a mute discussion.

Stop it. The 1999 quarterbacks were both better passers than the current quarterbacks on the roster. The 2018 group is more athletic. So I guess you're right they could literally run circles around them.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Stop it. The 1999 quarterbacks were both better passers than the current quarterbacks on the roster. The 2018 group is more athletic. So I guess you're right they could literally run circles around them.

Lol. Thank you for your service.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 11:55 AM

Lol

Coach34
01-06-2018, 11:55 AM
What? More NFL Talent? Are you serious? They had NFL players on every level on offense and defense. You're Expecting true freshman to play like seasoned veterans. It ain't happening.

Yes- more talent

Simmons and Sweat are better than anybody on the 1999 DL- Sluder, Hilliard, Stephens, McKinley, Davis, and Wyms were good but what- 2 of them made the NFL? None drafted in the 1st round like Simmons will be and maybe Sweat. And that doesnt even take into account the rest of 2018 DL that could see a couple more drafted.

Smoot was a badass as was Bean and both were drafted. Peters is not as good but right now is projected to be drafted. None of the Safeties made the NFL- Bryant and Abram are going to get drafted. We'll see on Mac- I still question his speed.

Barrin Simpson was good at LB but wasnt an NFL player. Our LB talent is really damn good. It's not a stretch to think Green and Gay end up in the NFL.

Offensively, Donald Lee was outstanding but underused. Pork Chop was really good and had a solid NFL career. 2018 has guys like Fitz, Jenkins, Calhoun, and Hill all looking at possible NFL careers

mparkerfd20
01-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Elite idiot status reached! Congrats!

Coach34
01-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Madkin's best season completion percentage 56%. Fitz has been better than the rest of his seasons. And Fitz is the better runner. Fitz > Madkin

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Yes- more talent

Simmons and Sweat are better than anybody on the 1999 DL- Sluder, Hilliard, Stephens, McKinley, Davis, and Wyms were good but what- 2 of them made the NFL? None drafted in the 1st round like Simmons will be and maybe Sweat. And that doesnt even take into account the rest of 2018 DL that could see a couple more drafted.

Smoot was a badass as was Bean and both were drafted. Peters is not as good but right now is projected to be drafted. None of the Safeties made the NFL- Bryant and Abram are going to get drafted. We'll see on Mac- I still question his speed.

Barrin Simpson was good at LB but wasnt an NFL player. Our LB talent is really damn good. It's not a stretch to think Green and Gay end up in the NFL.

Offensively, Donald Lee was outstanding but underused. Pork Chop was really good and had a solid NFL career. 2018 has guys like Fitz, Jenkins, Calhoun, and Hill all looking at possible NFL careers

The DL from 99 mentioned all played and started in the NFL with the exception of Sluder and Stephens. Stephens was a 1st round talent easily he was just lazy. The kid was 6'6 250 running a legit 4.4. You're also forgetting Mario was Simpson's back up. He played in the league for 10 years at LB. You left out Willie Blade at the Dline. He played the NFL for over 5 years starting. At the safety position Ashley Cooper and Pig Prather we're better than the tandem we currently have now

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Madkin's best season completion percentage 56%. Fitz has been better than the rest of his seasons. And Fitz is the better runner. Fitz > Madkin

I don't disagree with whose better athletically. Wayne Mackin could have done the exact same thing in a spread offense as Fitz .They're the same size Fitz is a tad faster but not much over Madkin. Fitz would look like Tyson Lee with Sparky Woods calling plays

Coach34
01-06-2018, 12:11 PM
I don't disagree with whose better athletically. Wayne Mackin could have done the exact same thing in a spread offense as Fitz .They're the same size Fitz is a tad faster but not much over Madkin. Fitz would look like Tyson Lee with Sparky Woods calling plays

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/wayne-madkin-1.html

You can disagree about passing too- but you lose that one as well

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 12:16 PM
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/wayne-madkin-1.html

You can disagree about passing too- but you lose that one as well

If Madkin was in a spread offense he would have similar numbers to Dak and Fitz. So would Fitz been successful in the 1999 offense?

dawgoneyall
01-06-2018, 12:22 PM

BS

dawgoneyall
01-06-2018, 12:24 PM

The 99 team was a damn good roster though. It?s definitly the only contender

1981. Just had a hard headed coach.

whosyourdawgy
01-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Madkin wasn?t a runner. Are you serious about that? Look i loved Madkin too but when he ran the football he looked scared as shit doing it. He wouldn?t have been a very good spread guy and if he and Fitz ran a 60 yd dash, Fitz coulda finished sat down and had a glass of tea before Madkin crosses the finish line. This has got to be a guy trolling right

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Madkin wasn?t a runner. Are you serious about that? Look i loved Madkin too but when he ran the football he looked scared as shit doing it. He wouldn?t have been a very good spread guy and if he and Fitz ran a 60 yd dash, Fitz coulda finished sat down and had a glass of tea before Madkin crosses the finish line. This has got to be a guy trolling right

Madkin probably was scared..lol. That doesn't negate his ability to run. Fant was slow not Madkin

MoreCowbell
01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
We don't have 1 All American listed on the 2018 team. That team had 5-6 alone. That's not including all SEC

Not sure that is correct. I think State has only had 2 All-Americans ever(Smoot is one not sure who the other was).

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Not sure that is correct. I think State has only had 2 All-Americans ever(Smoot is one not sure who the other was).

Pig was a playboy All American,
Smoot All American
Cooper All American
Barrin Simpson - All American

confucius say
01-06-2018, 01:19 PM

And what side of the ball

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 01:21 PM
And what side of the ball

Qb

confucius say
01-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Qb

Ahhh. Got ya. Awesome.

Brandon Butler?

bulldawg28
01-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Ahhh. Got ya. Awesome.

Brandon Butler?

Lol... I'm messing with you. I played DB

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
I think the 2018 team would take the ?99 team, but the biggest difference in the two that nobody is thinking about is the teams they did/will play. Put our 2018 team against the ?99 opponents and compare the scores of the two teams.

West Tn Dawg
01-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Johnnie Cooks

Political Hack
01-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Sweat and Simmons should be All-Americans next year. Fitz could be 3rd team All-SEC possibly, but they’ll give it to Fromm and Hurts before him even if he was more productive.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Sweat and Simmons should be All-Americans next year. Fitz could be 3rd team All-SEC possibly, but they’ll give it to Fromm and Hurts before him even if he was more productive.

Not if we win the West

Political Hack
01-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Not if we win the West

Was talking preseason but agree on the post season awards.