PDA

View Full Version : Shoop and the 4-3....

HoopsDawg
01-05-2018, 02:09 PM
I know we are going to be multiple, but he has always been a 4-3 guy. Who is going to be our 3 Tech? Do we move Simmons off the NT and let him be the 3 tech?

We have a bunch of talented D-linemen, but most are under 280.

TheRef
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
I know we are going to be multiple, but he has always been a 4-3 guy. Who is going to be our 3 Tech? Do we move Simmons off the NT and let him be the 3 tech?

Simmons will demand a double team wherever he goes, just depends on what gap you want to open up.

msstate7
01-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Autry and Thomas are big guys

HoopsDawg
01-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Autry and Thomas are big guys

I would say Autry is a NT. Thomas seems to be a 3 Tech. He's solid, but he's not a Fletcher Cox/Chris Jones 3 Tech like we have had in the past.

I also worry about Gerri Green. He had his best year of his career as a 3-4 OLB. I'm not sure he is a 4-3 OLB, plus I expect a lot of nickel. Just got to trust that Shoop is smart enough to adjust his schemes, but not many coaches change after 30 years of doing it one way.

Coach34
01-05-2018, 02:25 PM
A lot of 4-3 teams don’t move the DT’s. So if there is a TE to their side or the strength call- the DT lines up as a 3. If no TE or it’s the declared weak side- play a shade or a 1. No idea if Shoop will want to move the DT’s according to strength or not.

I would personally have Simmons and Sweat on opposite sides. That way teams can’t make their blocking calls centered toward them and run away from them both. Simmons commands a double and most teams will have to help their LT against Sweat by using a TE or RB. That leaves some wide open blitzing lanes for LB’s to hammer QB’s. Also makes DL twists more effective.

TheRef
01-05-2018, 02:28 PM
A lot of 4-3 teams don’t move the DT’s. So if there is a TE to their side or the strength call- the DT lines up as a 3. If no TE or it’s the declared weak side- play a shade or a 1. No idea if Shoop will want to move the DT’s according to strength or not.

I would personally have Simmons and Sweat on opposite sides. That way teams can’t make their blocking calls centered toward them and run away from them both. Simmons commands a double and most teams will have to help their LT against Sweat by using a TE or RB. That leaves some wide open blitzing lanes for LB’s to hammer QB’s. Also makes DL twists more effective.

Remember that Braxton Hoyett and Chauncey Rivers will be on the line next year too. Our 3rd down package should be one of the best next season as far as Front 7

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-05-2018, 02:34 PM
slightly off topic, but is there new rumors about Sweat? last I heard (3-4 days ago) it seemed like he was going to leave. are we confident now he'll stay?

Coach34
01-05-2018, 02:36 PM
nothing is announced yet but some think the lean is toward staying and going for 1st round money

BB30
01-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Remember that Braxton Hoyett and Chauncey Rivers will be on the line next year too. Our 3rd down package should be one of the best next season as far as Front 7

Yep I am pumped to see what Rivers adds to the DL. I think he will make an already very very good unit great. Our depth on the DL will be terrific next year as well. We should stay in every game due to our defense.

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2018, 04:06 PM

That would be an old school 4-3. I'd be down with that at times but watching and reading on him he uses some fire zone blitzes and plays the DT's in 2's and 2I's and slants them. I like it.

Its a lot harder to prepare for and is harder on the OL when you dont know who is going where and when

Todd4State
01-05-2018, 04:37 PM
That would be an old school 4-3. I'd be down with that at times but watching and reading on him he uses some fire zone blitzes and plays the DT's in 2's and 2I's and slants them. I like it.

Its a lot harder to prepare for and is harder on the OL when you dont know who is going where and when

Based on videos of his past defenses it looks like he likes to blitz a lot. So, I approve.

Coach007
01-05-2018, 08:17 PM

I do not want and we do not need the 4-3.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2018, 08:19 PM
I do not want and we do not need the 4-3.

I'm with you man. But from everything I've read, in today's game, 4-3 or 3-4 is just semantics.

gravedigger
01-05-2018, 08:38 PM

Nice analysis. Agreed. I would make opposing offenses pick their poison.

Coach34
01-05-2018, 09:27 PM

Oh, no doubt that you can dress it up all kinds of ways. You can slant and that works sometimes and sometimes it creates huge gaps for zone runs because the backside gets cut off. The bottom line though is that if you have a badass defensive line- it doesnt make a **** what you run. They are animals and will wreak havoc in anything they do. The less talented you are- the more creative you have to be.

Saban wears teams out because he has top draft picks on his def front- not because he is outscheming anybody

Bubb Rubb
01-05-2018, 09:33 PM

If rivers is as good as advertised it won't matter whether sweat and Simmons are on the same side or not. Our defensive front is going to be hell on wheels next year.