PDA

View Full Version : Men's Basketball - Defending Us

Count Istvan Teleky
01-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Why would any team play anything but a zone against us since we can't hit from outside?

MCsMGs
01-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Why would any team play anything but a zone against us since we can't hit from outside?

Two reasons I can think of is that most coaches know that we are gonna break out of that shooting slump at some point, and

When Lamar and Nick attack the rim, the zone gets broke down and they get in foul trouble.

I do agree that at this point we often struggle against the zone and I would play zone against us until I was forced to do otherwise.

Irondawg
01-04-2018, 05:40 PM
I?m still not sure why in our zone offense we don?t put Holman at the high post area more since he?s got a nice shot from that range and he?s also a decent passer

maroonmania
01-04-2018, 10:33 PM
If we don't start shooting the ball a little better our opponents may adjust their 2-3 zone to a 0-5 zone. That would be playing all 5 defenders within about 5 feet of the basket.

msstate7
01-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Have not watched om this year. They still play the 1-3-1?

MCsMGs
01-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Have not watched om this year. They still play the 1-3-1?

Yeah...and some 2-3 and man. They switch up a lot. They have been erratic defensively and offensively. I expect to see their "A" game, just because it's us and they're at home.

tcdog70
01-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Although we shoot bad against a zone , it does afford us offensive rebounding advantage.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Probably the same reason Howland never wanted to play zone. In its simplest form it's a lazy defense that gives defenders a reason to not put out maximum effort. Most coaches want to play man to man. Also zones are susceptible to offensive rebounds.