PDA

View Full Version : Nike MSU Logo

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2018, 11:28 AM
How would one start to find out how much it would cost to buy the rights to this?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 11:29 AM
How would one start to find out how much it would cost to buy the rights to this?

why?

Irondawg
01-04-2018, 11:34 AM
MSU used to have a licensing dept that might could get you some information. I assume they are still in existence

parabrave
01-04-2018, 11:45 AM
I know that Nike owns the interlocking MSU logo that JWS is associated with bit what about the old MSJ from the 60's? Who owns the rights to that?

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Someone has said we owned the 60s version, but the JWS version is better anyway. I just wanted to know how much money we are talking about here. Is it 100k or 5K? Who knows?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Mississippi State is VERY strict with using their logo. They even have separate red tape you have to go through for older logos not being used (Walking Bully, etc). I have called and talked to several people about this. Not only do you have to pay an outrageous amount, EVERY time you use it for something you have to send it in and it has to be approved before anything can be made with it on it. If it don't get approved then you are out that money regardless. In other words, they are making it difficult as to keep many from doing it.

Coach34
01-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Its the best logo we ever had. We really need to get back to it

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Its the best logo we ever had.

The best based on what?

Coach34
01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
The best based on what?

Opinions of most people I know. The helmet in my avatar looks so much better than the hideous logo we have now. We arent ****ing "M-State"...we are MSU or State.

Dawgbite
01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
I like the M-State logo better myself. The MSJ logo is too busy and hard to distinguish from a distance. Besides, there was a lot of suck and disappointment associated with those helmets that I don't care to remember.

tcdog70
01-04-2018, 12:20 PM
I like the M-State logo better myself. The MSJ logo is too busy and hard to distinguish from a distance. Besides, there was a lot of suck and disappointment associated with those helmets that I don't care to remember.

you are in the not so vast minority.. Coach is correct on this one.

Dawgbite
01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
you are in the not so vast minority.. Coach is correct on this one.

On here, I agree, but change to the MSJ logo and there will be just as many people bitching because we changed from the M- State logo. It's like the back up QB is always the most popular player, we always think the grass is greener on the other side.

Coach34
01-04-2018, 12:26 PM
poll posted. I'm curious

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Once again, could we just call Nike and ask them to sell it to elitedawgs?

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2018, 12:36 PM
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4810%3At71eoj.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=MSU&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

walking bully seems to not longer be an active trademark

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2018, 12:38 PM
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:t71eoj.2.36
The other MSU logo seems to dead as well.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Our current logo looks like an Ivy League logo. It's sad and soft.

Ari Gold
01-04-2018, 12:54 PM
It could also give us some variety.
Example . Fla uses gators, the capital F and they have a UF helmet
More options for adidas. I would for sure rock the interlocking MSU on a adidas pullover

It just shows how horrible our athletic department and PR was just a short time ago.

We were ****ing Russell for ****s sake during the Croom era. An sec school was ****ing Russell in Football.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Agree on all points. I hate when people base how good something looks on their opinion like they are the standard.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 01:56 PM
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4810%3At71eoj.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=MSU&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

walking bully seems to not longer be an active trademark

Ok make a shirt with it on it and post for sale and see what happens.

Dawgface
01-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Perhaps there will be no logo on the side to make Moorhead feel at home. Ha.

MagicDawg
01-04-2018, 02:32 PM
I think the letters are too thin and wiry in the logo pictured in c34s avatar. It looks weak and flimsy.

I think we are "Mississippi State" and need to use "MSU" as little as possible from a branding perspective. MState gets us occasionally confused with Michigan State but that's about it. MSU gets us even less identifiable and it's not telling the story at all.

The wider font MSU looks better to my eye as a logo, so if we had to switch to a version of that then Chillbilly's is the better solution I've seen. But best all around imo is to use the MState, the Bulldog MState, and Hail State as much as we can.

The absolute last thing we should want to do now, after most of a decade of effort in establishing and promoting our brand, is to rebrand or introduce any unnecessary confusion into our visual identity.

Hail State!

yjnkdawg
01-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Opinions of most people I know. The helmet in my avatar looks so much better than the hideous logo we have now. We arent ****ing "M-State"...we are MSU or State.

I agree Coach. I'm glad we don't have the M-State on our baseball caps, or the on field ones that we can purchase.

shannondawg
01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Mississippi State is VERY strict with using their logo. They even have separate red tape you have to go through for older logos not being used (Walking Bully, etc). I have called and talked to several people about this. Not only do you have to pay an outrageous amount, EVERY time you use it for something you have to send it in and it has to be approved before anything can be made with it on it. If it don't get approved then you are out that money regardless. In other words, they are making it difficult as to keep many from doing it.

One of my friends went about licensing a product with all universities , he told me that MSU was one of the most difficult to deal with.

Todd4State
01-04-2018, 07:53 PM
It could also give us some variety.
Example . Fla uses gators, the capital F and they have a UF helmet
More options for adidas. I would for sure rock the interlocking MSU on a adidas pullover

It just shows how horrible our athletic department and PR was just a short time ago.

We were ****ing Russell for ****s sake during the Croom era. An sec school was ****ing Russell in Football.

THIS. Our athletic department only wanting one logo for football is so Larry Templeton.