PDA

View Full Version : Way-Too-Early College Football Poll 2018

bulldogsmsu
01-03-2018, 10:27 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-college-football-top-25-2018

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Yup. Underrated.

Actually surprised to see us in there to be honest. Not surprised to see LSU and Auburn higher but I don’t think it’s warrented. We return way more

BigEasyDawg
01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
I personally hope we do not get much attention in the preseason. Gives our players that edge and chip on the shoulde that we need.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 10:49 AM
I personally hope we do not get much attention in the preseason. Gives our players that edge and chip on the shoulde that we need.

I personally do hope we get a ton of attention so that it builds standards and expectations for our program and university while also giving our great players the credit and publicity they deserve to get in the running for national awards. Additionally, the coverage equals greater publicity which helps you build your brand awareness, recruit, and sell more tickets.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm surprise they don't have South Carolina ranked above us since they beat Michigan.

Ari Gold
01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
The Harbaugh Love continues.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm surprise they don't have South Carolina ranked above us since they beat Michigan.

Would be in character of the media. Michigan hasn’t beaten a team with a winning record in almost 2 years. Like 600+ days

dawgs
01-03-2018, 11:00 AM

We’ve had that mentality my entire life and I hate it. Go out there and meet expectations. Every year the team dynamic changes, whether because of coaching changes or roster turnover, so this idea that every MSU team from the last 36 years needs to be underrated to succeed baffles me.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:01 AM
If Shea is eligible, Michigan MAY be a top 10 team. If he is not, they won’t finish in the top 15

BigEasyDawg
01-03-2018, 11:02 AM
I personally do hope we get a ton of attention so that it builds standards and expectations for our program and university while also giving our great players the credit and publicity they deserve to get in the running for national awards. Additionally, the coverage equals greater publicity which helps you build your brand awareness, recruit, and sell more tickets.

Wins and championships are what creates brand awareness and publicity. We began the 2014 season with no publicity at all except coming off a huge win (****) against Rice in the Liberty Bowl, but by the end of the season everybody who remotely followed college football knew about Mississippi State because we won.

I know what you are saying and I love all the publicity in the world for our school, but in my opinion we play better when we are counted out and the underdog. Most of our players come from rural areas and didn't have recruiting sites giving them all the stars as someone from Atl or Dallas. We play a whole lot better as a team that everyone is counting to lose. Heck, look at the Gator slayer bowl this year.

Todd4State
01-03-2018, 11:02 AM
I think it's awesome that they have us ahead of Florida and predicted that Dan would go 8-4 there. Although if they think he is going to start a true freshman QB- they're probably wrong.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:03 AM

This. Agree

It’s a losers mentality that is built by the “pump the breaks” crowd that is scared shitless to put themselves and their emotions out there in fear that they’ll be hurt if we lose and made fun of by their Bama and LSU friends.

Todd4State
01-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Wins and championships are what creates brand awareness and publicity. We began the 2014 season with no publicity at all except coming off a huge win (****) against Rice in the Liberty Bowl, but by the end of the season everybody who remotely followed college football knew about Mississippi State because we won.

I know what you are saying and I love all the publicity in the world for our school, but in my opinion we play better when we are counted out and the underdog. Most of our players come from rural areas and didn't have recruiting sites giving them all the stars as someone from Atl or Dallas. We play a whole lot better as a team that everyone is counting to lose. Heck, look at the Gator slayer bowl this year.

I think most of that has to do with the coach than it does with our guys being from Toomsooba.

We're going to get attention this offseason because we were able to beat a former Heisman winning QB with our back up QB and with a skeleton coaching staff- and then the writers are seeing that we're returning pretty much everyone except our punter.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Do you have some stat that says we play better when we are an underdog? Or does it just make you feel better when we are an underdog?

FWIW, just know that I am a relentless on my opinion on this topic and won’t give in. It’s a losers mentality even though I understand what you are saying and know it was with the best of intentions.

I have no doubt that you truly believe what you are saying and want what is best for MSU, but I’m here to tell you that this mentality has been a cancer to the state of Mississippi and our university for way to long. Problem is, many people that live in MS or support our school, have believed it for so long that they don’t see or understand the difference.

BigEasyDawg
01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
This. Agree

It’s a losers mentality that is built by the “pump the breaks” crowd that is scared shitless to put themselves and their emotions out there in fear that they’ll be hurt if we lose and made fun of by their Bama and LSU friends.

I can agree with that. Every season when I look at the schedule I think we are going to go 11-1. However, I think we are now to the point of giving ourselves a shot against Bama with our roster and a coach who doesn't crap his pants (or shorts) in a big game.

One of my favorite parts of the 2014 season was Corso picking up that bulldog mascot head on Gameday. We were expected to beat a top 5 team and we freaking did. I do hope this becomes a norm for us.

In Moorhead I trust!

01-03-2018, 11:16 AM
I don't like that Kansas State, Alabama and LSU return their offensive lines. The good news is, we have an elite defense to counter that, and we should be able to score on them. I am writing down Auburn and Florida as wins at this point, at home.

maroonmania
01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Do you have some stat that says we play better when we are an underdog? Or does it just make you feel better when we are an underdog?

FWIW, just know that I am a relentless on my opinion on this topic and won’t give in. It’s a losers mentality even though I understand what you are saying and know it was with the best of intentions.

I have no doubt that you truly believe what you are saying and want what is best for MSU, but I’m here to tell you that this mentality has been a cancer to the state of Mississippi and our university for way to long. Problem is, many people that live in MS or support our school, have believed it for so long that they don’t see or understand the difference.

Would seem like the Dan Mullen era would have long ago put that theory to rest. I mean you can probably count on one hand the number of times we actually beat a team when we were the underdog in his entire 9 year tenure. Not sure we ever beat a team that we were a double digit underdog to unless perhaps 2014 LSU.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I don't like that Kansas State, Alabama and LSU return their offensive lines. The good news is, we have an elite defense to counter that, and we should be able to score on them. I am writing down Auburn and Florida as wins at this point, at home.

We will have a better player at virtually every position on the field over Kansas State

Ari Gold
01-03-2018, 11:27 AM
It won’t be an easy game , but we aren’t rolling into Manhattan Kansas in November. Big difference.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Would seem like the Dan Mullen era would have long ago put that theory to rest. I mean you can probably count on one hand the number of times we actually beat a team when we were the underdog in his entire 9 year tenure. Not sure we ever beat a team that we were a double digit underdog to unless perhaps 2014 LSU.

Great point.

The truth is that the losses when we are ranked highly just hurt more & thus you remember them.

When we a ranked high, people have a greater emotional investment & the losses are that much more devastating. When we are unranked, it lowers expectations &, while the losses still hurt, they aren't quite as bad.

Not to go on a tangent, but this greatest analogy to this is people that are afraid of falling in love in fear of being hurt. However, IMO that is no way to live life. Celebrate & go ALL IN on the good, &, if it doesn't work out & hurts, then take a shower & do it all over again.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:30 AM
It won’t be an easy game , but we aren’t rolling into Manhattan Kansas in November. Big difference.

We have an experienced team as well. If we come out uninjured, it will be a good game for us & prepare us for the SEC schedule. I think it will be a lot like the BYU game in 2016, but we are much better this year than then

Covercorner2
01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
We have an experienced team as well. If we come out uninjured, it will be a good game for us & prepare us for the SEC schedule. I think it will be a lot like the BYU game in 2016, but we are much better this year than then

I think he was alluding to the weather.

BigEasyDawg
01-03-2018, 11:37 AM

I think a win in Manhattan could be one of those big CONFIDENCE games.

and FWIW, what i mean by we play better as the underdog is when everyone else has no confidence in us. I believe that we as fans should always believe we can be the best and also the players, despite being underdogs, know what they are truly capable of and play to their full potential. A win at K-state is one of those games that get us SEC ready and helps us say "we can beat anybody"

parabrave
01-03-2018, 11:37 AM
No PAC 12 team or Texas should be in the top 15. Also they have 5 big ten teams in the top 12. One or two or them will have 2-3 losses. LSU 19 Aubbie 9, well no.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 11:38 AM
In 2014, Auburn went to Kansas State in September & won 20-14. I remember watching that game. Auburn played like trash

Cooterpoot
01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Basically just blowing the blue bloods.

01-03-2018, 11:43 AM
I think a win in Manhattan could be one of those big CONFIDENCE games.

and FWIW, what i mean by we play better as the underdog is when everyone else has no confidence in us. I believe that we as fans should always believe we can be the best and also the players, despite being underdogs, know what they are truly capable of and play to their full potential. A win at K-state is one of those games that get us SEC ready and helps us say "we can beat anybody"

We should be up for it, at minimum. Game is bookended by SFA and ULL. No reason not to come out ready to play.

Todd4State
01-03-2018, 11:59 AM
We will have a better player at virtually every position on the field over Kansas State

We also have a coach that will actually put the best ones on the field the majority of the time as well.

Which I think was a big reason why we didn't upset more people.

MStateDawg
01-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Would be in character of the media. Michigan hasn?t beaten a team with a winning record in almost 2 years. Like 600+ days

They beat Prudue this season, who finished 7-6.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Winning does that much better. We historically do better when expectations are low.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Winning does that much better. We historically do better when expectations are low.

Please show me this stat

CarolinaDawgs
01-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Would be in character of the media. Michigan hasn?t beaten a team with a winning record in almost 2 years. Like 600+ days

They beat 10-4 colrado, 11-3 Wisconsin and 11-3 PSU in 2016.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Please show me this stat

This year for a start.

PMDawg
01-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Behind Texas, FSU, and LSU? LOL.

RocketDawg
01-03-2018, 01:20 PM

I'd probably argue that it's alway easier to exceed low expectations than it is to exceed high expectations.

msstate7
01-03-2018, 01:23 PM
They beat 10-4 colrado, 11-3 Wisconsin and 11-3 PSU in 2016.

Yeah, huge fail

MedDawg
01-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Michigan way too high. They have to play Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Wisconsin, all ranked in the Top 15. In fact, Athlon has a lot of teams at the top that play each other--no way they can all be Top 15. I guess Athlon is just throwing them all up there figuring a couple will stick. Previous polls have done that with the SEC West.

Athlon acknowledges LSU and Auburn lose a lot of talent but of course they'll be better just because. We have nearly everyone back but of course we'll be down just because.

msstate7
01-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Michigan way too high. They have to play Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Wisconsin, all ranked in the Top 15. In fact, Athlon has a lot of teams at the top that play each other--no way they can all be Top 15. I guess Athlon is just throwing them all up there figuring a couple will stick. Previous polls have done that with the SEC West.

Athlon acknowledges LSU and Auburn lose a lot of talent but of course they'll be better just because. We have nearly everyone back but of course we'll be down just because.

I think preseason poll is a gauge of where they are now, not necessarily where they will finish

Dawgology
01-03-2018, 03:23 PM

FWIW, just know that I am a relentless on my opinion on this topic and won?t give in. It?s a losers mentality even though I understand what you are saying and know it was with the best of intentions.

I have no doubt that you truly believe what you are saying and want what is best for MSU, but I?m here to tell you that this mentality has been a cancer to the state of Mississippi and our university for way to long. Problem is, many people that live in MS or support our school, have believed it for so long that they don?t see or understand the difference.

This all day. For the past 8 years we were actually more likely to lose when listed as an underdog on a game by game basis. It's what Mullen was known for. It's time to step up. Embrace expectations as a program and fanbase. That's the next step. Meet higher expectations.

RougeDawg
01-03-2018, 04:08 PM
I think preseason poll is a gauge of where they are now, not necessarily where they will finish

Preseason polls from these magazine sites are based upon fan base sizes mostly. They have to pay their yearly bills during the off season because they cannot be completely clueless and careless when the actual games are played.

It?s the same reason they pimp OM any chance thy get, despite their irrelevance since integration. They know those clowns have more money than sense. Just look no further than their ROI on recruiting classes as your exhibit A.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2018, 04:43 PM
In 2014, Auburn went to Kansas State in September & won 20-14. I remember watching that game. Auburn played like trash

You can add that we will have a lot more talent and experience then KSU.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-04-2018, 12:02 AM

^^^THIS^^^

We are in a new era of MSU football. Modern thinking is we are the better team not some underling trying to land a knock out punch on the big guy. It's time for MSU to be the big kid on our block.

LC Dawg
01-04-2018, 09:18 AM
I agree with Shotgun. Unranked teams play at 11:00. Ranked teams play at times when more people watch football. Better time slots mean more recruits see our games and consider Mississippi State. Good unranked teams move into the top 25. Good ranked teams move into the top 15 and higher. We had the perfect storm in 2014 when we were good and played 3 top 10 teams in a row. If those games were spread out we don't get as much publicity. Being consistently ranked gets more publicity in the long run.
Exposure for our football team is also good for our university. More good exposure for our football team causes our enrollment to increase and more nice things in Starkville. If you don't believe this look at the changes since 2014.
We play better as underdogs is kind of a bullshit saying. Why would you want everyone to think you are no good when you actually are good. Good coaches can get players to play with a chip on their shoulder when it's needed even if they are a ranked team. Hell, Bama is ranked #4 and playing for a championship and Saban has all of them thinking the entire world is disrespecting them.