PDA

View Full Version : If the fan base can?t get behind this MBB team now, they never will

TXDawg
01-03-2018, 12:17 AM
Great win tonight vs a quality opponent in front of a lackluster home crowd. Great to finally see enthusiasm and excitement from the bench. Haven?t seen that in a really long time.

This team has great chemistry and it?s past time for the fans to get behind them and start showing up to games.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Also they need to learn how to clap after a made free throw, that is when we make them.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2018, 01:08 AM
It's time to start a Rick's Rowdies type of group. How hard would it be to start one based on something MSU and not based around Howland. That way if Howland leaves us we do not have to change the group name.
Dog Pound or something. Seems like we need a group of 200 students to get the crowd going.

bigplayslay
01-03-2018, 02:02 AM
It's time to start a Rick's Rowdies type of group. How hard would it be to start one based on something MSU and not based around Howland. That way if Howland leaves us we do not have to change the group name.
Dog Pound or something. Seems like we need a group of 200 students to get the crowd going.

There is a group called Howland's Howlers that is already started. Students will show when school starts back which is January 8th.

Bully13
01-03-2018, 02:32 AM
I certainly hope to see packed humps of old soon. After years of embarrassing futility, changes don't happen over night. Fingers crossed. Howlands initial speech stressed conditioning, nutrition, and defense. Liking what I'm seeing finally on that. Fingers crossed.

BiscuitEater
01-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Students will show when school starts back which is January 8th.

Are the students still split into two groups?

Dawg61
01-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Make the Hump first come first serve. Do away with season tickets.

CJDAWG85
01-03-2018, 08:22 AM
If the students were back, there would've been another 1500-2000 people there last night. I really wanted to go, but I just started a new job and have training this week.

Dawgface
01-03-2018, 08:47 AM
It will be nice to see a full Hump again. I went a lot in the 90's. I will admit....I have simply lost interest in basketball. NBA and college. But I always want the dogs to win and compete. And who knows......I might actually make it to a game before long. Always nice to visit the campus.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Are the students still split into two groups?

No, and haven’t been in several years.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 08:54 AM
It will take more than last night to get the old Hump back. That took several years to build and it was totally destroyed. The students don’t even know how to be a student section it has been so bad. My son grew up going with me or my Dad. He is a Jr. at MSU now and he says they don’t know when to get into it or how to. Last night was a start, finally.

shannondawg
01-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Do they have a reserved section for Howland's Howlers?

61, you can beat that drum until the cows come home, it ain't going to happen, matter of fact the ladies increased their reserved seats sections this year.

Homedawg
01-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Make the Hump first come first serve. Do away with season tickets.

Sounds great in theory, but men's hoops is one of two teams that actually makes money. No season tickets and we lose our ass. Something has to help pay the bills. Espn can't pay for everything

Bubb Rubb
01-03-2018, 09:32 AM
It will take more than last night to get the old Hump back. That took several years to build and it was totally destroyed. The students don’t even know how to be a student section it has been so bad. My son grew up going with me or my Dad. He is a Jr. at MSU now and he says they don’t know when to get into it or how to. Last night was a start, finally.

Ask your son to step in and organize it! They just need someone to step up and lead/coordinate everything.

LC Dawg
01-03-2018, 09:35 AM
They should send the students messages on their phones of when to cheer. That's what a lot of them watch instead of the game (or whatever else they are doing).

TXDawg
01-03-2018, 09:35 AM

I’m not buying this. They certainly know how to show up and support the women’s team.

bigplayslay
01-03-2018, 09:57 AM
I don’t know that i agree with this at all. Was your son at the A&M or Kentucky games last year? If not he missed out big time. The student section was incredible and the hump was full. To answer other q’s about the howlers there are “leaders” they get there early and try to get a section going for members but there is no reserved section.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Ask your son to step in and organize it! They just need someone to step up and lead/coordinate everything.

My son is in engineering and is serious about his GPA. He went last night because school is out. He goes to a few when he is in school, but not many. He has been on co-op the last two spring semesters. He probabaly went to more then than when he is in school.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 10:30 AM
I’m not buying this. They certainly know how to show up and support the women’s team.

I’ve been to a few games the last few years. He is dead on. There is no designated student section for women’s games. The whole thing except for a few reserved sections for the few season ticket holders is general admission. The tickets are cheaper for the public too. Women’s basketball basically has an entirely different crowd. It kind of supports 61’s argument, at least if you want to put butts in the seats.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 10:35 AM
I don’t know that i agree with this at all. Was your son at the A&M or Kentucky games last year? If not he missed out big time. The student section was incredible and the hump was full. To answer other q’s about the howlers there are “leaders” they get there early and try to get a section going for members but there is no reserved section.
Yeah, we show up for the name opponents. You post laid out the whole dang problem in a nutshell.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2018, 10:39 AM
It's ok for everyone to admit that the product and the seating arrangements have hurt support. They both have hurt.

bigplayslay
01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Yeah, we show up for the name opponents. You post laid out the whole dang problem in a nutshell.

Yeah it sucks. I agree with you there. Most bball fans are fair weather fans for sure. I was just saying that when the students show up I wouldn’t necessarily say they don’t know how/when to cheer. It’s a huge problem. We’ll see if it’s fixed come January 13th

TALL DAWG
01-03-2018, 10:42 AM

We really need to win Saturday. Big game for many reasons.

Dawg61
01-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Sell general admission tickets at the Hump the day of the game till tip-off.. Sit anywhere you like for $5. Give out free tickets at wal-mart. Give out free tickets in the student union. Have the cheerleaders go up and down the freshman dorms handing out free tickets. Pack the damn Hump again it is a total embarrassment!!

LC Dawg
01-03-2018, 12:57 PM
How many season tickets were sold? I've bought some single game seats and was surprised that all that was left was upper deck and on the sides there were just upper level of the upper deck. I had assumed that all the lower level wasn't sold as season tickets because the attendance down there was so sparse.

maroonmania
01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Do they have a reserved section for Howland's Howlers?

61, you can beat that drum until the cows come home, it ain't going to happen, matter of fact the ladies increased their reserved seats sections this year.

They should call themselves the Hardwood Howlers and then they won't have to change the name when Howland either leaves or retires.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
How many season tickets were sold? I've bought some single game seats and was surprised that all that was left was upper deck and on the sides there were just upper level of the upper deck. I had assumed that all the lower level wasn't sold as season tickets because the attendance down there was so sparse.
We don’t sell out in season tickets like we used to but the lowers level is. A lot of those folks only show up for big games, if then. That holds true whether we are good or bad.

MCsMGs
01-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Once again, Last night quality seats were available to anyone who wanted them. There should be no complaints about the season ticket holders that don't show up because they are encouraging anyone who wants to move down to the lower level to do so early in the first half. That opportunity may go away if we keep winning, but for now...no reason to complain. Show up and enjoy!

shannondawg
01-03-2018, 05:36 PM
They should have a reserved section for the Howlers and offer incentives to be a member. Build from there.

Liverpool, you are shitting us about your son saying they don't know how to yell at a game????

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 10:31 PM
They should have a reserved section for the Howlers and offer incentives to be a member. Build from there.

Liverpool, you are shitting us about your son saying they don't know how to yell at a game????

He saw the Hump in full cry when he was a kid, many times. What he actually says is that they don't really know how to act like a student section.