PDA

View Full Version : Ado Haters...

preachermatt83
01-02-2018, 11:21 PM
We lose that game by double digits without him.

Coach34
01-02-2018, 11:29 PM
Having no post game is what kept them in it. Gafflord had 17 and 5. Ado did have 8 and 9 but was 2/9 from the FT line. Our lack of a post game is keeping this team from being really good.

Ado has to be good defensively because there is no reason to play him if he wasnt

HoopsDawg
01-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Having no post game is what kept them in it. Gafflord had 17 and 5. Ado did have 8 and 9 but was 2/9 from the FT line. Our lack of a post game is keeping this team from being really good.

Ado has to be good defensively because there is no reason to play him if he wasnt

Nah, 2-19 from 3 with 3 minutes left in the game is what kept them in it.

preachermatt83
01-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Never the less, without him we lose this game. He is very solid defensively

preachermatt83
01-02-2018, 11:32 PM

Ouch. I knew it was bad. I agree completely

Coach34
01-02-2018, 11:34 PM

because teams can extend their D due to us having zero post game.

kojak
01-02-2018, 11:35 PM

Ado definitely has his lapses, but he is showing more every time out on defense. He is so active at the top, only issue is he sometimes loses his man after a hard hedge. I really really like his potential.

Coach007
01-02-2018, 11:37 PM
He is a raw Freshman. He will break records here if he stays

Coach34
01-02-2018, 11:39 PM
I agree on him long term- just talking about this season specifically. His offense is a project- but he can certainly play D. The problem with him being a project on offense is that he plays with Holman who plays like he is 6'4 instead of 6'11

tcdog70
01-02-2018, 11:41 PM

Doesn't matter who our coach is. You always find something wrong with our Team. 13-1 looks 17ing good to Me. But you loved Ray and wanted Him to have another year. Go figure

HoopsDawg
01-02-2018, 11:42 PM

We bricked a lot of good looks. Not every 3 we took was in a half court offense. We missed 3s in transition and off of offensive rebounds.

Agree that Ado needs to continue to develop post game and I think he will. If he was a finished product, he'd be a one and done.

Ari Gold
01-02-2018, 11:43 PM
I will trade points for what Ado does all day.. which is the way he can defend the high pick and roll. Kid is athletic enough to guard away and help away from the basket.
His offense will come around , but he is a huge factor on the defensive side of the ball.

There are very few teams that play thru and run their offense thru their big men in today’s game.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2018, 11:43 PM
Are we still the youngest team in the country only having one senior.

tcdog70
01-02-2018, 11:44 PM
I agree on him long term- just talking about this season specifically. His offense is a project- but he can certainly play D. The problem with him being a project on offense is that he plays with Holman who plays like he is 6'4 instead of 6'11

Have you even watched Holman this year? He won us 3-4 games with his play. All we need Ado to do is play defense, rebound and make 50% of his free throws.

tcdog70
01-02-2018, 11:45 PM
I will trade points for what Ado does all day.. which is the way he can defend the high pick and roll. Kid is athletic enough to guard away and help away from the basket.
His offense will come around , but he is a huge factor on the defensive side of the ball.

There are very few teams that play thru and run their offense thru their big men in today’s game.

You nailed it. I hope he can improve his free throws.

bigplayslay
01-02-2018, 11:49 PM

This. He's also the best shot blocker we've had in a long time. Averaging 2 and a half a game

Coach34
01-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Doesn't matter who our coach is. You always find something wrong with our Team.

Loved Richard Williams and this team looks like a typical Richard Williams team. Plays tough D and gets after you. Hopes to get enough O to win. Gotta love it.

bigplayslay
01-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Are we still the youngest team in the country only having one senior.

Probably up there. That one senior is a walk on who hardly plays as well.

Political Hack
01-02-2018, 11:55 PM
We’re not a half court team. We’re a defensive team that pushes the ball. Ado is exactly what we need. Our supporting cast has to rebound better and we’ve got to love the ball better in the half court set.

Ari Gold
01-02-2018, 11:57 PM
Loved Richard Williams and this team looks like a typical Richard Williams team. Plays tough D and gets after you. Hopes to get enough O to win. Gotta love it.

I agree.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2018, 12:51 AM
Normally coach I would agree with you, but the majority of our misses from three tonight we're better than good looks, we just were not making them. Hell Peter's first three went in the basket and still found a way to roll out.

Our defense today gave up about 30 easy points because they were not getting in position quick enough on the high ball screen and in transition.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2018, 12:57 AM
Ado was a big part of our win tonight. The man made hustle plays and made some critical FT towards the end. Hell the switch on d where he blocked the guy and dove on the loose ball was the game. That was a 4 pt swing that was crucial. Plus he was cleaning the glass on getting some tip ins. Good job Ado.

preachermatt83
01-03-2018, 12:57 AM

There are very few teams that play thru and run their offense thru their big men in today?s game.

Truth

Bully13
01-03-2018, 01:11 AM
Did I hear tonight Ado was a soccer player? Does anybody know this guy's athletic history?

mstatefan91
01-03-2018, 01:57 AM
Did I hear tonight Ado was a soccer player? Does anybody know this guy's athletic history?
Played soccer for most of his life until he picked up a basketball at 14 years old.

BiscuitEater
01-03-2018, 05:34 AM

BS. Most, close to all, of our 3's were OPEN shots. We contested WAY more of their 3's than they did.

BiscuitEater
01-03-2018, 05:47 AM

Ahh .. again, WITHOUT Ado we DON'T win. He is a rsFR. Hopefully, he gets better .. especially from the FT line. Was 3 of 3 from the field. Had 4 blocks and 9 boards.

shoeless joe
01-03-2018, 07:46 AM

That also sounds like a lot of the stans teams as well...up until the last 2 years

KentuckyDawg13
01-03-2018, 08:39 AM
In Fayettenam, we would lose by double digits with him.

The Weatherspoon bros are starting to show what they can do together. Nick is still our best player. Lamar is trying hard to get out of his funk, but man he is a head case. Not having a true PF is going to kill us versus teams with a lot of height (ie. UK). We need to recruit a center in addition to our PF/SF/SF trio we have coming in next season.

The Defense won the game. Our team has bought in to a tenacious defense mindset, which is exactly what we need to overcome our horrible shooting.

thf24
01-03-2018, 08:52 AM
The first thing Ado needs to do to improve his offense is grind out a baby hook. With those long arms, just get it to him in the middle of the lane, put it up quick and it would be practically indefensible.

PMDawg
01-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Peters is a problem right now. And I don't know a solution. You have to play him because he is super athletic, quick, fast, and he makes NBA caliber passes. However, he also makes HS level turnovers at critical junctures and can't hit the broad side of the barn with a jump shot right now. He is so hit or miss, and he can lose a game for us real quick. If he resigned himself to playing great defense, having 8-10 assists per game, and driving to the basket instead of pulling up and shooting, we would be a much better team. He did that for a lot of the game last night, but there were a few stretches where he played terrible.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I hope we get his friend to replace Herard......IF so teams will have a tough time inside against us for a few years.

Covercorner2
01-03-2018, 09:32 AM
I hope we get his friend to replace Herard......IF so teams will have a tough time inside against us for a few years.

Who is his friend?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2018, 09:51 AM
https://247sports.com/player/jethro-tshisumpa-84340

confucius say
01-03-2018, 12:18 PM

He is going to be 50% from the stripe. I'll take a line of 10-9-4(blocks) every time from him. He also passed well out of the post. He'll continue to improve.

Bubb Rubb
01-03-2018, 12:41 PM

There are very few teams that play thru and run their offense thru their big men in today?s game.

He hedges on the pick and roll a little too much sometimes....that bit him a couple of times last night....but on one of them recovered to get an amazing block.

He is a good defender, no doubt. But he is weak in the post. If he can become just a little bit of a threat on the blocks, it will totally change the dynamic of our offense.

MCsMGs
01-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Peters is a problem right now. And I don't know a solution. You have to play him because he is super athletic, quick, fast, and he makes NBA caliber passes. However, he also makes HS level turnovers at critical junctures and can't hit the broad side of the barn with a jump shot right now. He is so hit or miss, and he can lose a game for us real quick. If he resigned himself to playing great defense, having 8-10 assists per game, and driving to the basket instead of pulling up and shooting, we would be a much better team. He did that for a lot of the game last night, but there were a few stretches where he played terrible.

Looks to me like Lamar is coming out of his funk...I don't know what stretches you are referring to, but in my observation, he was key to the win last night.
It wasn't until he came into the game that we even attempted to penetrate and break down Arky's defense. He made several key assists, played solid defense and committed ONE turnover. We were clearly a better team when he was on the floor. We don't need him to score big when he plays like he did last night, but when his confidence comes back on his shot it will be a big bonus.

CarolinaDawgs
01-03-2018, 01:54 PM
https://247sports.com/player/jethro-tshisumpa-84340

Herard>>>this guy

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Herard>>>this guy

I think you got your arrows mixed up..There is no way you think Herard is better than this guy. He is as good as Ado easily. He is a shot blocking freak.

tcdog70
01-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Dick had 2 good years. Thanks to Stans and John Brady

CarolinaDawgs
01-03-2018, 03:16 PM
I think you got your arrows mixed up..There is no way you think Herard is better than this guy. He is as good as Ado easily. He is a shot blocking freak.

Too bad he cant run and is out of position on nearly every play.. mind you its his HIGHLIGHT tape. Cant jump either. Ado leaps and bounds a better basketball player as is Herard.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Too bad he cant run and is out of position on nearly every play.. mind you its his HIGHLIGHT tape. Cant jump either. Ado leaps and bounds a better basketball player as is Herard.

This is the funniest shit I have read in a long time. Did we watch the same Herard? The one who looked lost ALL THE TIME, had brick hands and even though he was 6'11" could'nt block a shot to save his life. The point is Herard is gone and the staff wants to replace him with Jethro. It is obvious the staff as well as me can see how much better this guy is than Herard. I am not saying this guy is Shaq because he basically doesnt have much offensive game BUT his defense is leaps and bounds better than Herard.

PMDawg
01-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Looks to me like Lamar is coming out of his funk...I don't know what stretches you are referring to, but in my observation, he was key to the win last night.
It wasn't until he came into the game that we even attempted to penetrate and break down Arky's defense. He made several key assists, played solid defense and committed ONE turnover. We were clearly a better team when he was on the floor. We don't need him to score big when he plays like he did last night, but when his confidence comes back on his shot it will be a big bonus.

Oh he definitely played better for a long stretch last night. He showed his potential by playing within himself. Played good defense, made good passes, and drove the lane. But there was a few minute stretch there where he reverted back. Jacked up some 3s, (0 for 3), committed that turnover, made a pass that Ado (I think) wasn't even looking for (was a great pass, but it still resulted in a TO bc the guy wasn't looking), and missed a free throw. This was all right around the early to mid part of the 2nd half.
You're right, overall he had a good game, but he still gets really streaky. He just needs to control himself and stay in his game. Dish the ball, and drive to the hoop. If he will, he is a great asset.

Doggie_Style
01-03-2018, 04:12 PM
He should try shooting free throws underhanded....those bricks he puts up are embarrassing, that being said he is improving nicley and has a high ceiling, we need him

Coach34
01-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Dick had 2 good years. Thanks to Stans and John Brady

Here we go again.

Williams went to the NIT in 1990- State's 1st post season in quite awhile
Williams won an SEC Title in 1991 with a group that had started for 4 years
Williams went to the NIT in 1994 with a young team
Williams went to a Sweet 16 in 1995
Williams went to the FF in 1996

That's 5 postseason teams in 7 years. Thats a good run. And not only that- he left Stands an NCAA level team that Stands turned into an NIT team in 1999. Williams will forever have gone farther in the NCAA Tourney than Stands ever did.

confucius say
01-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Stand went to postseason 9 out of 11 years and had more titles and more success (wins) and we ran him off. It was time, just saying.

Coach34
01-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Stand went to postseason 9 out of 11 years and had more titles and more success (wins) and we ran him off. It was time, just saying.

Stands did well at State. He took over the program in the best shape its been in since 1963. He had an NCAA Tourney talented team dropped in his lap and led them to an NIT instead. Williams took over an abortion where Bob Boyd had only recruited over the phone and had actually lost to Delta State. Stands embraced the State network and helped lead it in much of the way Freeze did at OM. The difference is that Stands wasnt a phony or a POS.

Williams revived our program and the Stands posse just have to get over it and give him his props. Stands then made us more consistent but just couldnt handle the discipline of being the HC. Our administration made a bad choice in Ray- that had nothing to with Stands. Now Howland has us back on the track Williams set for us in modern times. Good for us.

confucius say
01-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Stands did well at State. He took over the program in the best shape its been in since 1963. He had an NCAA Tourney talented team dropped in his lap and led them to an NIT instead. Williams took over an abortion where Bob Boyd had only recruited over the phone and had actually lost to Delta State. Stands embraced the State network and helped lead it in much of the way Freeze did at OM. The difference is that Stands wasnt a phony or a POS.

Williams revived our program and the Stands posse just have to get over it and give him his props. Stands then made us more consistent but just couldnt handle the discipline of being the HC. Our administration made a bad choice in Ray- that had nothing to with Stands. Now Howland has us back on the track Williams set for us in modern times. Good for us.

I Don't disagree with any of that.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Ado reminds me of a way more athletic and a bit shorter Eric Dampier. I say that because of where he is as a freshman on offense and defense. Damp was always a force on defense and got better at it every week. He was NOT a good offensive player at first. He really had to work at it but by his last year he was more than competent there. Ado is going to be very good. What we need now is another 5 or a bruiser type 4.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Ado reminds me of a way more athletic and a bit shorter Eric Dampier. I say that because of where he is as a freshman on offense and defense. Damp was always a force on defense and got better at it every week. He was NOT a good offensive player at first. He really had to work at it but by his last year he was more than competent there. Ado is going to be very good. What we need now is another 5 or a bruiser type 4.

someone kind of like Jethro Tshisumpa?

thf24
01-04-2018, 09:27 AM
What we need now is another 5 or a bruiser type 4.

Agreed. Howland obviously favors the stretch 4, but I feel like we need one guy who can work inside to play with Ado. It would probably take some of the attention off of him (he seems to get doubled a ton when he gets the ball despite not being a huge offensive threat), which would let him get comfortable with his offense faster.

It sucks that Brooks would have been that guy. Reggie Perry is primarily a stretch 4, but I'm hoping he can go inside too.

tcdog70
01-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Here we go again.

Williams went to the NIT in 1990- State's 1st post season in quite awhile
Williams won an SEC Title in 1991 with a group that had started for 4 years
Williams went to the NIT in 1994 with a young team
Williams went to a Sweet 16 in 1995
Williams went to the FF in 1996

That's 5 postseason teams in 7 years. Thats a good run. And not only that- he left Stands an NCAA level team that Stands turned into an NIT team in 1999. Williams will forever have gone farther in the NCAA Tourney than Stands ever did.

Ha, i knew that would stir you up. Dick benched Todd Meritt in 91 and Let some directional Michigan team beat Us. I thought you said the NIT was just a tourney for shitty teams. Williams ran off several good players but only Stans catches flak for transfers. i was at every home game during that era. Dick had some good assistants.

tcdog70
01-04-2018, 11:22 AM

Actually Ron Greene had our program in great shape, but Bob Tyler screwed Him and He left. Greene team of White-Hooker-Grimm-Peck and Brown might be the best team we ever had. Hatfield ruined our team. The game we lost to Delta State was because of Gerald Glass, he was unstoppable. Dick almost screwed up the 96 team, till he backed off Donte and just let him play. Hell we lost to Little Rock at the HUMP and after that He took the reins off of Donte. You can slant it anyway you want to, but if any MSU team was in the top 3 in wins (SEC) for ten years-we would have built the Coach a statue.

biggun
01-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Amen!!! Holman wants to live & die with 3?s but I am beyond shocked at Ado?s lack of development with the ball in his hands. He has ZERO low post moves, ZIP, None, Nada. Did he not practice with the team all of last year??? Do we not have a coach working with our Biggs??? Holman wants to be a shooting guard and while Ado plays with great effort and is a rebounding machine, I have seen several junior high post players with more game than Ado.

biggun
01-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Actually Ron Greene had our program in great shape, but Bob Tyler screwed Him and He left. Greene team of White-Hooker-Grimm-Peck and Brown might be the best team we ever had. Hatfield ruined our team. The game we lost to Delta State was because of Gerald Glass, he was unstoppable. Dick almost screwed up the 96 team, till he backed off Donte and just let him play. Hell we lost to Little Rock at the HUMP and after that He took the reins off of Donte. You can slant it anyway you want to, but if any MSU team was in the top 3 in wins (SEC) for ten years-we would have built the Coach a statue.

Actually, Richard was still riding Dontae very hard midway through SEC play but the turning point in letting up on him came after benching him for most of the 2nd half while Kentucky was blowing us out at the Hump, but after that game, Richard finally let Dontae be Dontae and that started our surge the 2nd half of conference play that carried us all the way to the Final 4.

MCsMGs
01-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Amen!!! Holman wants to live & die with 3?s but I am beyond shocked at Ado?s lack of development with the ball in his hands. He has ZERO low post moves, ZIP, None, Nada. Did he not practice with the team all of last year??? Do we not have a coach working with our Biggs??? Holman wants to be a shooting guard and while Ado plays with great effort and is a rebounding machine, I have seen several junior high post players with more game than Ado.

I don't think either of you have watched many of our games this year if you're gonna make comments about Homan like that...

Political Hack
01-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Ado?s lower half and ball skills, especially his speed with the ball, will never allow him to be an offensive threat. I can?t understand why y?all can?t accept having another Swat master on the team. He?s a defensive stud. We?d suck defensively in the post without him and our G?s can?t stop a damn drive to save their lives, so I?m thankful as hell we have him. I don?t see how this isn?t obvious. People look at a stat line and think ?3 blocks?? He only made 3 plays? No! He probably made 10-15 easy layups against arkansas very difficult shots. He?s a freak and right now arguably our MVP. He?s sure as hell the defensive MVP.

biggun
01-04-2018, 04:39 PM

One huge difference. Despite Damp’s limitations down low, he Always commanded a double team which created open shots on the perimeter for Wilson, Dontae, and Bullard. Damp was a double digit scorer freshman year on.

Ado will never be doubled which keeps our shooters blanketed.

MCsMGs
01-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Ado will never be doubled which keeps our shooters blanketed.

Did you watch the game Tuesday night? Ado was doubled almost every time he touched the ball!

ETA Howland bragged in the post game interview how well Ado passed out of the double teams and he said it again in his segment from the Veranda last night.

Coach34
01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Ado?s lower half and ball skills, especially his speed with the ball, will never allow him to be an offensive threat. I can?t understand why y?all can?t accept having another Swat master on the team. He?s a defensive stud. We?d suck defensively in the post without him and our G?s can?t stop a damn drive to save their lives, so I?m thankful as hell we have him. I don?t see how this isn?t obvious. People look at a stat line and think ?3 blocks?? He only made 3 plays? No! He probably made 10-15 easy layups against arkansas very difficult shots. He?s a freak and right now arguably our MVP. He?s sure as hell the defensive MVP.

Nobody is questioning his defense- but when you a play a Stretch 4 like Holman that doesnt have a low post presence at all- you need a 5 that can post up to help you offense. We dont have that in him currently and it hurts our offense.

Vanardo had Charles Rhodes and Kodi Augustus with him- which gave us some inside help on offense. Plus Vanardo could make FT's unlike Ado who shoots them like Shaq (42.9%)

biggun
01-04-2018, 04:50 PM

100% agree about Ado on the defensive end. Without him, we would have a losing record right now. Seriously. His rebounding and shot blocking prowess help make up for our below average on ball defense. But I am still shocked at where he is on the offensive end. Tuesday night, I did not even see the most basic post player moves: drop step power move, an effective pump fake, shoulder fakes, ie. I just don’t understand. And his FT shooting was abysmal.

Ado must improve dramatically with the ball in his hands and Holman must play with his back to the basket or this team will live and mostly die by making contested 3’s. And good luck with that on the road.

Political Hack
01-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Nobody is questioning his defense- but when you a play a Stretch 4 like Holman that doesnt have a low post presence at all- you need a 5 that can post up to help you offense. We dont have that in him currently and it hurts our offense.

Vanardo had Charles Rhodes and Kodi Augustus with him- which gave us some inside help on offense. Plus Vanardo could make FT's unlike Ado who shoots them like Shaq (42.9%)

I agree it would be great if he could play O, but he’s too good on D to leave out of the game. It makes it less important when you’re a transition team looking to run. His blocks on D initiate the fast break. That’s huge offensively for us. It’s essentiall a 4-5 point swing ever time it works. He also had some put backs for us the other night. If he can contribute to the offense in those two ways, we’ll be fine. Our half court offense is garbage right now. All of them. It’s not just him.

biggun
01-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Did you watch the game Tuesday night? Ado was doubled almost every time he touched the ball!

ETA Howland bragged in the post game interview how well Ado passed out of the double teams and he said it again in his segment from the Veranda last night.

I saw most of the game. I never saw a true “double team” like when Damp received a pass in the post, there was an automatic & instant double team but then again, why would they double Ado?? What is Ado’s scoring average on the year??? What did we shoot from 3???

biggun
01-04-2018, 05:01 PM
I agree it would be great if he could play O, but he’s too good on D to leave out of the game. It makes it less important when you’re a transition team looking to run. His blocks on D initiate the fast break. That’s huge offensively for us. It’s essentiall a 4-5 point swing ever time it works. He also had some put backs for us the other night. If he can contribute to the offense in those two ways, we’ll be fine. Our half court offense is garbage right now. All of them. It’s not just him.

Agree and don’t get me wrong, He is a premier defensive player and by far our best player on D. And of course, He must start, he is our half court defense. He also must stay out of foul trouble or we are sunk. His D gives us a chance in Oxford.

Coach34

We made an 1 NIT with that group and lost to Alcorn in the 1st round. Hardly "great shape"

I'm not slanting anything- Williams was better in the NCAA Tourney than Stands. He made a Sweet 16 without Dontae- and probably advances farther in 95 had we not played a dominant UCLA team on their way to the national title. The way you guys try to give Stands credit for what Williams did is mind-boggling. You want to give Stands credit for 95 and 96- but where is his credit for the lack of talent we had in 97 and 98? Why doesnt it work both ways?

Truth be told- Williams being hard on Dontae early on is what drove that team to the Final Four. It let him know he had to at least put a little effort into defending or he would get pulled. Williams did a great job of blending in Dontae- who was used to being the only show in town- into a team that had Super D as its primary offensive threat, Dampier coming along as an offensive player, and Marcus Bullard taking over full-time at PG

bigplayslay
I saw most of the game. I never saw a true “double team” like when Damp received a pass in the post, there was an automatic & instant double team but then again, why would they double Ado?? What is Ado’s scoring average on the year??? What did we shoot from 3???

I think they double teamed him to try and get him to turn the ball over. He leads the team in that category and they probably thought it was easy pickens

MCsMGs
01-04-2018, 05:12 PM

You've changed your position from a statement that he wasn't double teamed to a question as to why would they double team him. I wasn't in Arky's locker room, nor can I read Anderson's mind, But I would double him every time he got the ball on the blocks to hopefully prevent him from turning and dunking on me. Another reason to double him would be to force a turnover(that only worked once Tuesday because he passed out of the doubles so well) or to force him to pass the ball out where we have been ineffective at making our shots which pretty much answers your last two questions.