PDA

View Full Version : Y'all believe in this team yet?

TheRef
01-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Seriously...just beat RPI #7 at home while they were ranked #22 and came off of a hot win. We are 13-1 (1-0 SEC). I'd say this team is actually legit.

maroonmania
01-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Seriously...just beat RPI #7 at home while they were ranked #22 and came off of a hot win. We are 13-1 (1-0 SEC). I'd say this team is actually legit.

If we could just shoot the basketball from anywhere not right under the basket we could be hell on wheels. So I believe in this team in all aspects outside of shooting the basketball.

Cooterpoot
01-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Other than defense, we don’t do a lot well. We go as far as the defense carries us.

Covercorner2
01-02-2018, 11:11 PM
If we could just shoot the basketball from anywhere not right under the basket we could be hell on wheels. So I believe in this team in all aspects outside of shooting the basketball.

Just imagine if we get hot shooting later in the year....

Our defense will travel and keep us in just about every game.

Coach007
01-02-2018, 11:11 PM

I believe they will continue to improve on offense. This game has a lot of effects. Mentally, they know what they just did. That does 2 things

1- hungry to step it up
2- relaxes you under pressure.

Bdawg
01-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Definitely got to knock down some shots. Ado has got to let go of his inner Shaq at the free throw line too. But great D and a great win. Hailstate

WSOPdawg
01-02-2018, 11:16 PM
I believe they will continue to improve on offense. This game has a lot of effects. Mentally, they know what they just did. That does 2 things

1- hungry to step it up
2- relaxes you under pressure.

I'm with you, Coach. The rock will eventually begin to fall for us and we'll light some teams up with 10 treys or so. It's just a matter of getting a few guys hot at the same time. Awesome game tonight!!!

Dawgcap
01-02-2018, 11:17 PM
I am optimistic but we aren't legit until we can do the simple things like knock down free throws! With our D intensity I do think we can be nasty but with a little bit of consistency on O we could be nasty! Great win but lots of work to do! But the work is a lot better when we are winning!

Irondawg
01-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Oh we will have game where we shoot better from outside but we aren?t going to be a consistently good offensive team. We just a lot of thing below average there and it?s not changing overnight

Quaoarsking
01-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Howland Year 3 strikes again! Is it too early to be sharpening the scissors?

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
A certain segment of our fan base seems like they're just going to keep moving the goalpost back on what it'll take for them to buy into the basketball program again.

Ari Gold
01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Amazing most here find more negatives than positives after beating the #22 team in the country.
****ing amazing.

WSOPdawg
01-02-2018, 11:26 PM

I say we take'm one game at a time with a visit to Oxford being next this Saturday. On a neutral court we would be favored, so we should be competitive this weekend. Time for some payback!

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2018, 11:28 PM
A certain segment of our fan base seems like they're just going to keep moving the goalpost back on what it'll take for them to buy into the basketball program again.

Probably many of the same ones who spent 9 years doing it in football.

mparkerfd20
01-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Nope. We got 1 of our 3 SEC wins tonight

WSOPdawg
01-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Amazing most here find more negatives than positives after beating the #22 team in the country.
****ing amazing.

Agree Ari, people gotta realize that you don't play every game like the Harlem Globetrotters. We've got a competitive group that can make a run if they catch a few breaks. The open shots will eventually start to fall.

LC Dawg
01-02-2018, 11:47 PM
We?ve got a good team but the SEC is better so we?re going to have to fight for wins all year. We?ll get our share though. I?m excited about it. It won?t be easy in Oxford Saturday but I think we get the job done.

msstate7
01-02-2018, 11:50 PM

With year 1 full of seniors, I think this is more year 2. I think we really make noise next season

Jack Lambert
01-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Don't take me wrong because I am happy as I can be but with Tenn losing is Arkansas's RPI still #7?

Dawgcap
01-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Great win over an amazing opponent! Yes I'm excited! Work to do? I say yes and I hope our coaches realize that! Any negatives thoughts about this teams heart and effort? For me no? Shooting and free throws? For me yes? But I love this teams heart and effort and will always believe in a team that fights to win! Love my school and love a team that fights to represent it! Never been prouder!

msstate7
01-02-2018, 11:56 PM
I am impressed we won tonight. Our schedule in no way got us ready to face a good team like ark, but we adjusted to their quality of play quickly.

IMissJack
01-02-2018, 11:57 PM

That's where I am as well. They play good D and hustle, but shooting is very bad.

dawgday166
01-03-2018, 09:13 AM
From reading previous threads about this team while not watching them at all, I thought they were horrible. I watched only the 1st half last night. The D is really good. The shooting I believe will come with time. I'm betting Howland has been really focusing on the D from the way they can play D.

D can show up every night. Even teams with good O have off nights. I don't think this team is horrible. It's not a Final Four team, but it ain't horrible either. Is it a tournament team? It might could turn out that way.

For year 3 under Howland, I think it's good progress. He has it moving in the right direction.

MetEdDawg
01-03-2018, 09:24 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with our ability to score points last night after having watched our difficulties in our non conference games. Mike Anderson teams have never played amazing defense, they just play really fast. Getting 78 points while shooting 4-21 from 3 is actually pretty impressive. That's only 19%. If we just make 3 more of those per game and get to 33% from 3, we will be tough to stop.

This team isn't going to give up more than 80 points in the majority of our games. If we can get to 80 points in a game, we will most likely win because we are pretty stout defensively.

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2018, 09:44 AM
The reason so many are so critical of this team is they are living in some fantasy land that the skill level and pace of the game in college basketball is going to return to the way it was in the 1990s and early 2000s. That type of basketball is gone, and it?s not coming back. And that is not an MSU thing, it?s a basketball thing. Adjust your expectations and you will enjoy this team.

basedog
01-03-2018, 09:53 AM
I am impressed we won tonight. Our schedule in no way got us ready to face a good team like ark, but we adjusted to their quality of play quickly.

Winning is what got carried us to a victory last night. It's called confidence and having a very young team is important when the schedule we played.

This team will get better because of the youth and the schedule has helped.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2018, 10:47 AM
I saw some things I liked last night. There was some genuine enthusiasm on the court. That has been lacking. They played pretty good defense against a high scoring team. There was hustle on the court, getting some effort rebounds and diving to get loose balls, that sort of things. I also saw some quite troubling things. As has been pointed out the shooting isn’t good. The free throw shooting, esp at the end when it really mattered was abismal. It was a little better last night but the half court offense is still NOT good. Bottom line: We are better than we have been since Stans was canned. That isn’t debatable. It’s been so long since we had even a decent team that I wonder if we aren’t getting carried away over just that, a decent team. I’m going to wait a bit (seeing how they hold up on the road for example) before I get excited. Last night WAS a start though.

MetEdDawg
01-03-2018, 10:58 AM
By the way, to add to everything, Arkansas has scored less than 83 points in a game only 3 times this year. Once to UNC, once to Houston, and once to us. All 3 losses. Defense won us that game last night because they had scored more than 90 9 times already this year.

tcdog70
01-03-2018, 11:02 AM
****ing amazing.

right-we are 13-1--what does it take to not get a little warm and fuzzy? We have great post defense and we have nice depth. If Carter can get his stroke going and Peters continues to shake His funk then the Spoons will lead Us. We have the X as the energizer Bunny and He picks us up with his energy. So i am fired Up-let's beat the 17 out of the dogassed Rebs.