PDA

View Full Version : Gruden to da Raiders as coach and part owner..

fishwater99
01-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Sorry Tennessee....

Dawgface
01-02-2018, 12:10 PM
I'm sure OM will snag him when they come off probation.

bulldawg28
01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Now that's how you sign a contract!

oldjoedawg
01-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Sorry Tennessee....

As stated elsewhere, 3/4 of the NFL owners would have to approve the 'ownership' part of that package and doubt you will see that happen.

thf24
01-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Now that's how you sign a contract!

Could get really awkward if he flops though...

bulldawg28
01-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Could get really awkward if he flops though...

Nah... just step down and hire your replacement.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2018, 02:18 PM
As stated elsewhere, 3/4 of the NFL owners would have to approve the 'ownership' part of that package and doubt you will see that happen.

Paul Brown says hello from Cleveland and Cincinnati. So does Michael Jordan with Charlotte.

IMissJack
01-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Didn't Al Davis coach for a while in the beginning of the Raiders also?

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2018, 04:46 PM

He was HC from 63-65, then became part owner/Gm in 66.

George Halas was Coach/Owner of the Bears from 1920 (when they were the Decatur Staleys) until 1967 (with a few years off) Early on, a lot of NFL owners coached the team.

Another one I thought of was Connie Mack - Manager/Owner of the Philadelphia A's from 1901-1950.

Mutt the Hoople
01-02-2018, 05:37 PM
From Wikipedia:
As coach:
Adelphi (1950?1951) Offensive line coach
Fort Belvoir (1953)
Baltimore Colts (1954) Scout
The Citadel (1955?1956) Offensive line coach
Southern California (1957?1959) Offensive line coach
Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers (1960?1962) Wide receivers coach
Oakland Raiders (1963?1965) Head coach

He later became Commissioner of the AFL when they merged with the NFL, then eventually became owner and general manager of the Raiders. Back in the 1970's and early '80's, players from opposing teams during warmups would beg him to trade for them- they were the Wild Wild West of football franchises. Things like Ted Hendricks arriving at practice naked, Kenny Stabler putting a joint in an Offensive lineman's glove compartment when he had a sackless game, and so on. Al Davis didn't care what they did in their off time, as long as they practiced hard and won games.

By the late 1980's, everybody caught up with Davis and the Raiders, and by the time he died they were a shell of their former team.

Goldendawg
01-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Born a State fan in '55, and saw my 1st home game in '63, 10 -10 tie with a ranked UM team. Realized quickly that I better become a fan of a NFL team that won games and became a Raiders fan (Lamonica, Stabler, Wells, Hendricks, Jack Tatum, Skip Thomas, Casper, Fred B. etc.) as State was having a lot of problems winning games as I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Would love to see the Raiders become consistent contenders again (especially with Gabe and Deniko on the team). Like the Gruden move but don't know about the Las Vegas move ( although the coliseum in Oakland is now and has been a dump with tarps covering a lot of upper deck seats these days). P. S. Have hated Dallas my whole life, but now pull for them because of Dak. Actually, only NFL games I watched because of the National Anthem disgrace by many players.

oldjoedawg
01-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Paul Brown says hello from Cleveland and Cincinnati. So does Michael Jordan with Charlotte.

Here is the scoop on transfers of partial ownership taken from the NFL Articles of Incorporation.....According to the Articles of Incorporation for the NFL....Article III Membership.....subsection 3.5.b "All sales, transfers, or assignments, except a transfer referred to in 3.5.c, hereof, shall only become effective if approved by an affirmative vote of not less than three fourths or 20, whichever is greater, of league members." (The section 3.5.c is in reference to the case of a death of a person who owns an interest of the team...that interest can be passed on to the heirs of the owner without a vote....)

So for Gruden to receive an interest in the Raiders there would need to be the approval of 3/4s the other owners, if I am reading that correctly.

HossDawg97
01-03-2018, 08:44 AM
This morning on the Golic & Wingo Show Gruden said that the ownership rumor was false but that he was being considered for the head coaching job.