PDA

View Full Version : Curmudgeony Friday Night Preview

curmudgeon
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Big week in Misssissippi HS football. Four of the top five teams in the state are playing EACH OTHER.

No. 2 Olive Branch at No. 4 South Panola
Why Its Important: As usual, This game will likely decide the 6A-1 title, which is important because its a championship, but not advantageous come playoff time, with Mississippi's antiquidated playoff rules. The region champion will likely host the first two rounds of the playoffs, but have to travel to the 6A-2 champion/runner-up or the 6A-1 runner up for North Half.

Both teams are 5-1 coming in, with out of state losses. OB lost to Longview (TX) 27-26, while the Tigers dropped one to Memphis University 26-9. While these two are likely to be 1-2 in the region, its interesting to note that both Tupelo and Grenada sit at 5-0 and also play each other this week.

Olive Branch comes in scoring 40.7 points per game and giving up just over 15. South Panola has played a tougher schedule, and is outscoring opponents 34-23.

Curmudgeon's Pick: Olive Branch is going to score, but other than Longview, they haven't played anyone I would consider tough. South Panola's tough schedule has prepared them, and the Tigers take the early division lead with a 35-27 win over the Quistors.

No. 3 Petal at No. 5 Oak Grove
The South Half of 6A has a big game as well. Undefeateds Petal and Oak Grove battle in the first of several big games this year that dot the 6A-3 Schedule (No. 1 Brandon and No. 9 Meridian are also in this gauntlet of a division). The round robin that will take place on fields across South Central Mississippi this year actually looks a lot like the Permian-Odessa-Midland-Lee division featured in Friday Night Lights.

Curmudgeon's Pick: These two teams are very balanced and look a lot like each other. I like Oak Grove to move to 6-0 as they travel to Meridian next Friday night. And oh yeah, Petal goes to Brandon next week as well.

In 5A, Undefeated Oxford travels to 5-1 Saltillo in what could be a Region 1 championship game. Both teams have great defenses, so expect a low scoring affair with Oxford staying off the upset bid 17-14.

Odds and Ends: Picayune leads the state (all classes) scoring 51.5 ppg. Academy A Marshall is right behind them racking off 50.5 ppg. 3A Philadelphia is only giving up 4.5 ppg and Jackson Academy just 5.2 ppg (despite losing two games)

Worst team in the state? If you count Central Private (LA) as an MAIS school, they are 0-6 and have been outscored 277-30 and Lee Academy (AR) is 0-6 being outscored 273-20. Within the state's borders? West Oktibbeha is 0-3 (shortened season and has been outscored in its three games 138-6. Their counterparts at East Oktibbeha are 0-3 and have fared a little better, 127- 13.

Bo Darville
10-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Worst team in the state? If you count Central Private (LA) as an MAIS school, they are 0-6 and have been outscored 277-30 and Lee Academy (AR) is 0-6 being outscored 273-20. Within the state's borders? West Oktibbeha is 0-3 (shortened season and has been outscored in its three games 138-6. Their counterparts at East Oktibbeha are 0-3 and have fared a little better, 127- 13.

I say worst team is Riverside (public school in Avon, MS). They've been outscored 267-6. St. Andrews had them down 38-0 at halftime. The same St. Andrews that got whipped by Tri-County Academy (small private school in Flora).

curmudgeon
10-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Riverside will win this week. They will beat Simmons, who have won a game. East and West Oktibbeha will be winless except for the game they play each other.

Bo Darville
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Riverside will win this week. They will beat Simmons, who have won a game. East and West Oktibbeha will be winless except for the game they play each other.

As someone who has personally seen Riverside play, if there is a team worse than Riverside they must really be bad. Riverside is awful. Simmons, and East and West Oktibbeha must be an absolute joke. I'm trusting you on this one because you seem to follow high school football pretty closely.

Bo Darville
10-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Simmons over Riverside 58-6 was the final.

curmudgeon
10-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Color me corrected. Riverside is worst than the two Oktibbehas.

Because Simmons is among the ten worst.

Bo Darville
10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I haven't seen the other bad teams on your list play, but I have seen Riverside. I simply couldn't imagine anyone being any worse. They are so awful it is unreal.

curmudgeon
10-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I've talked to a couple of other people that say the same thing. I admittedly don't follow 1A-4A football very closely other than the top. I did go 3-0 in my picks though. Didn't post it, but thought Germantown would take care of Vicksburg and they didn't. Germantown plays Pearl next week and could drop to 0-3 in division play.

3 unbeatens left in 6A: Brandon, Oak Grove and Tupelo (include South Panola against Mississippi teams)
3 unbeatens left in 5A: Oxford, Laurel and Jackson Callaway.
2 unbeatens left in 4A: Ripley and St. Stanislaus
Louisville in 3A
East Union, Lake and Byers in 2A
Bogue Chitto in 1A

Indianola Academy and Trinity episcopal are only unbeaten MS teams in MAIS.