PDA

View Full Version : Early Signing Period

confucius say
12-31-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm a fan of it. I know a lot of the recruiting guys (Steve) are 100% against it, but I like it better than just having the February signing day. Less drama for those who know what they want to do.

Goldendawg
12-31-2017, 11:18 PM
Mixed feelings, 15 early signees but 6 commits still waiting. Do these 6 really want to go to MSU, looking around, being slow-played by us, caught up in the change of coaching staffs, or ????????? Like having 15 signed, but here goes the drama for two more months.

Todd4State
12-31-2017, 11:31 PM
What is his rationale for not liking it?

I think it's one of the best things that has happened for MSU personally. We can get the guys that want to sign first- I don't know if 15 is going to be typical or not we'll see in the future. (I suspect that could be on the small side because of the coaching change and the fact that we will probably sign a small class) And then it allows our staff to completely 100% focus on guys like Fabien Lovett. I think it's good for the players and the schools to know where each other stand. How many times did we get jilted at the alter? This new rule allows teams to make up for potential losses and evaluate what those may be ahead of time. It allows players on the bubble to know where they stand and make appropriate potential arrangements if they still aren't a take instead of them scrambling for a Louisiana Monroe offer or just going to JUCO because they get left out.

It keeps people like Alabama from trying to poach guys like Heath and Dolla Bill because a couple of their targets went somewhere else.

I don't really see the negative for us?

It also eliminates a lot of the illegal silliness like Recruitapalooza.

Todd4State
12-31-2017, 11:33 PM
Mixed feelings, 15 early signees but 6 commits still waiting. Do these 6 really want to go to MSU, looking around, being slow-played by us, caught up in the change of coaching staffs, or ????????? Like having 15 signed, but here goes the drama for two more months.

But unlike in the past we don't have to worry about the 15 now. We probably will lose some of those six but I also wouldn't be surprised if we kept most of them as well.

confucius say
12-31-2017, 11:39 PM
What is his rationale for not liking it?

I think it's one of the best things that has happened for MSU personally. We can get the guys that want to sign first- I don't know if 15 is going to be typical or not we'll see in the future. (I suspect that could be on the small side because of the coaching change and the fact that we will probably sign a small class) And then it allows our staff to completely 100% focus on guys like Fabien Lovett. I think it's good for the players and the schools to know where each other stand. How many times did we get jilted at the alter? This new rule allows teams to make up for potential losses and evaluate what those may be ahead of time. It allows players on the bubble to know where they stand and make appropriate potential arrangements if they still aren't a take instead of them scrambling for a Louisiana Monroe offer or just going to JUCO because they get left out.

It keeps people like Alabama from trying to poach guys like Heath and Dolla Bill because a couple of their targets went somewhere else.

I don't really see the negative for us?

It also eliminates a lot of the illegal silliness like Recruitapalooza.

He says it is not in best interest of the kids and therefore he is against it. I disagree. I think it offers kids the chance to go ahead and get it done if they know 100% what they want to do. If not, no one is forcing them to sign. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Goldendawg
12-31-2017, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that's why I asked all the questions about those who remain "committed". I like how we locked down 15 early. Would like to know more about those who didn't sign or others we may be after with the new staff. Is this the dead period?

Todd4State
01-01-2018, 12:25 AM
He says it is not in best interest of the kids and therefore he is against it. I disagree. I think it offers kids the chance to go ahead and get it done if they know 100% what they want to do. If not, no one is forcing them to sign. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Absolutely. Plus I think it's in the best interests of the players (kids) to know where they stand a month out. How is getting dropped at the last minute or a player being told that they will have to grayshirt in their best interest?

And for the ones that are committed it seems like every year I read about a long time committed player "just ready for the recruiting process to be over" because they want to just go ahead and sign and not be bothered anymore?

DogsofAnarchy
01-01-2018, 01:20 AM

Maybe we find a couple of players that get left over by Bama, Georgia...aka Brule?
No drama....the Potatoes are cooked....just add a little gravy now.

tcdog70
01-01-2018, 11:56 AM
It has worked for Basketball. It is great for teams like MSU. The players that did not sign weren't really committed. Now we can bare down and have everyone working on ten more players. It is a win-win for us and the players.

Coursesuper
01-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Maybe we find a couple of players that get left over by Bama, Georgia...aka Brule?
No drama....the Potatoes are cooked....just add a little gravy now.

Yep, this is nothing but good for MSU.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2018, 01:25 PM
It is bad for the recruiting fan boys bizzness....

Political Hack
01-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Not to the benefit of the kids? Let them have their Christmas season back without being pestered to death by every coach and fan in the country. To suggest everything circles around recruiting and their family and scholastic lives should take a back seat is a pretty limited view of a high school Sr’s life.

thf24
01-01-2018, 02:14 PM
It is bad for the recruiting fan boys bizzness....

Exactly. Harder to fill a column for the final two months of the recruiting cycle if you now only have 5-10 guys to cover when you had 25-30 in the past. If I had to guess, I'd say these two months were when most of their new subscriptions came. I hate it for them, but there is no rational argument that the early signing period is bad for recruits.

bulldawg28
01-01-2018, 02:31 PM
The early period is great for college football. It's going to be harder for college's to string kids along then drop them. It also helps us get leftovers on kids in February we normally wouldn't get

Todd4State
01-01-2018, 02:31 PM
I don't know how much it would hurt their business. There is still plenty to talk about with the remaining players on the board.

Goldendawg
01-01-2018, 02:44 PM
The early period is great for college football. It's going to be harder for college's to string kids along then drop them. It also helps us get leftovers on kids in February we normally wouldn't get

Hate to think bama/lsu "leftovers" are better than the MSU initial main course, but I know what you are saying. Our new staff can hopefully put new life and true relentless effort in our recruiting efforts and results. Hail State!

99jc
01-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Steve needs to stay with writing books he don't know a damn thing about what best for players. I hate that he represents MSU with that thug look he has. He is the same as that idiot who post videos from Bama, Stingray.

Coursesuper
01-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Hate to think bama/lsu "leftovers" are better than the MSU initial main course, but I know what you are saying. Our new staff can hopefully put new life and true relentless effort in our recruiting efforts and results. Hail State!

I think it's more along the line of those people can't string recruits along or keep them warm, like they have done in the past.

Goldendawg
01-01-2018, 02:59 PM
I think it's more along the line of those people can't string recruits along or keep them warm, like they have done in the past.

Agree with that and maybe they not only buy in to the State family, but join with a chip on the shoulder from being treated that way from the "big boys" in their own state.

maroonmania
01-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Its mainly not in the best interest of those like UNM who love to do the underhanded cheating deals on the blowout recruiting weekends.

gravedigger
01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Steve needs to stay with writing books he don't know a damn thing about what best for players. I hate that he represents MSU with that thug look he has. He is the same as that idiot who post videos from Bama, Stingray.

Grow up. I disagree with his conclusion too, but what someone looks like isn?t relevant

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2018, 03:34 PM

You should probably have a giant cup of shut the **** up, too.

I have a cousin who works for the NCAA infractions committee. I asked him several weeks ago about tsun and what his thoughts were...( he was not part of the TSUN investigation) and while he would not comment directly on them he smiled and said I know your a Mississippi State Alum and I feel strongly you will not be disappointed.

GTHOM. That's all I have to say about that.

This booster is a well know female, a 7 figure donor, a 3rd generation alumni booster and according to her was family friends with the Vaults.

She stated 3 things that really got my attention.
1) She stated that most prominent boosters do not blame Miss State or any of our players for their problems. It was that Hugh Freeze and Alabama that was responsible.
2) They (the boosters) did not have a problem with the ca$h or other material things provided the players but the providing of prostitution for players was unacceptable.
3) They were informed that the NCAA had indeed put the death penalty on the table if the evidence came to light on the prostitution. She went on about The prostitution stuff for a while.

I asked her what they felt was going to happen. She said the president and Ross B. Have eluded that multi year bowl bans, severe scholarship reductions, forfeiture of games, loss of bowl revenue received, among other things should be expected. She then said the program was at the bottom of the barrel and would soon be under the barrel. She then said if the prostitution charges were proved many prominent boosters would immediately stop their contributions.

Nothing really new here but it's the 1st time someone with real insight on the university ( not what some dumbass poster on nafoom thinks) has been this truthful. It just reaffirms what we all felt and know is going to happen.

Click an Add Shitbirds.