PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- HeismanSlayer Bowl Edition

Coach34
12-31-2017, 09:06 AM
1. I was wrong. I had Louisville beating us 33-20 yesterday. So let's go ahead and get that out of the way. I said the only way I saw us winning was if we came out to be physical and wear their asses down. On that- I was correct. That is what we did. Yesterday- our gameplan was exactly what I have been talking about in relation to Dan Mullen and his playcalling. We didnt come out getting cute and throwing 3 straight passes to start a game. We threw 3 passes total on our 1st two drives- the result? 14 points. #RTGDF when you have the personnel we have. Dont get cute to start a game by trying to throw a damn pass to Reggie freaking Todd. Rely on your best offensive players doing what they do best.

2. As many have said already, I'm very happy for Knox, English, and the rest of the coaches. They had the team prepared and ready to play. Just an incredible job considering everything that has gone on- not to mention that they are looking for jobs as all this went on. The calls werent always perfect and we had some penalties along with some personnel miscues, but under the circumstances these guys did really well. Helluva job by English to make some adjustments at halftime to get more pressure on Jackson. Difference in the ballgame right there

3. 55 runs to 20 passes. Excellent gameplan with the personnel we had for the bowl game. We werent going to win the game throwing it to Reggie Todd, Osirus Mitchell, Jamal Couch, etc....we were going to win it by #RTGDF with the A-Train, KT, and Hill. 47/264 for those 3 guys yesterday. That is how its done. Sirmon made some adjustments and loaded the box more on us- and the offense sputtered in the 2nd and 3rd a good bit- but we wore their ass down. The 4th Q we imposed our will because we kept on pounding.

4. There is no QB controversy no matter how much Brandon Walker and others want it to be. We have a 5th year Sr- 2 year starter at QB that is going into 2018 as the #6 rated QB in the country. He is also projected as a draft pick. We aren't sitting that guy next year. KT had a great day running the ball with 150 yards- but Fitz probably rolls for about 200 yards yesterday against that defense. KT only threw for 127 yards and a pick- let's not act like he threw for 300 yards yesterday. He had a good day and led us to victory. KT will probably be a better QB in Year 4 than Fitz was in Year 4 of his career- but 5th year Fitz will be State's QB.

You know why else there won't be a QB controversy? You don't give Fitz any reason at all to be a grad transfer to leave you with KT and Mayden as the only QB's on your roster for 2018. You start Fitz and get KT some playing time as the season goes on. Then KT gets to start for 2 years and work his magic.

5. 3 headed RB tandems just arent good for your offense unless you have the type of players that Bama or Georgia has as their 3rd RB. I'm sorry for Gibson- but 2018 needs to be the A-Train and Hill Show. Then get Marcus Murphy some clean up reps unless it looks like he just absolutely needs to play on defense.

6. We played our 2018 OL in the 2nd half and kept on rolling. That will be a great group in 2018. We will even have some depth with the guys we were able to redshirt. Really excited about these guys moving forward.

7. Simmons was ridiculous yesterday. 1 sack and EIGHT QB hurries as a DT. Eight hurries in one game by a DT is insane. He will be a top 10 draft pick in the 2019 Draft. Just keep working and stay healthy big boy.

8. I hope Sweat stays- because our DL will be special next year. With Sweat- we have a top 5 in the country DL. Without Sweat- its still really damn good with lots of depth. Either way we will be fine. But to have a special season- you need a special DL in college football. Let's hope he stays.

9. Got to get better at LB this Spring- but the talent is there.

10. Great game by our safeties- obviously Mac led the way with 3 picks- but the group played really well as a whole. Should really be outstanding next year when we add the redshirts

11. Dantzler and Peters are the odds on favorites at CB for 2018- need to find a grad transfer to help here also. Solid job by Dantzler yesterday getting extensive playing time.

12. We got what we needed yesterday- a win and momentum. Some on here tried to downplay a loss heading into the offseason and said yesterday didnt matter for the program- BULLSHIT. All the positive pub created by yesterday was huge for our program. It's huge going into the Spring. It's huge for confidence in some players. It's huge for the perception of the program by people that cover college football. It's huge that we will finished the season ranked. It's also huge because people see what we have coming back leading into next season.

13. The Joe Moorhead Era has now begun today. Looking forward to 2018 because this team has the chance to better 1999 and 2014.

Hail State

Leeshouldveflanked
12-31-2017, 09:25 AM
It was interesting that Brandon Bryant played only on Special Teams Yesterday.... on point number 4, I bet Mullen sends Fitz a text in the next day or two... on point 11. it looks like Depth at CB will be our biggest concern next year.

99jc
12-31-2017, 09:27 AM
Can't. Argue with anything you wrote. Hail State!

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2017, 09:32 AM
It was interesting that Brandon Bryant played only on Special Teams Yesterday.... on point number 4, I bet Mullen sends Fitz a text in the next day or two... on point 11. it looks like Depth at CB will be our biggest concern next year.
And Fitz will probably send back, who dis?

Bully13
12-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Was nice to see our 2ndary in the same zip code with those receivers. Wasn't expecting that. Wasn't expecting the players to be as focused all things considered. Let's be honest though, a bad loss would have been explained due to the coaching and personell issues. The MSU players just were not gonna be having any of that pity party though. Gutsy. That mature, business like attitude is enough for me to be syked about next year.

StatesboroBlues
12-31-2017, 10:01 AM

He was in on at least one drive in the second half. Pretty sure it was the drive that he had the PF on the touchback.

ILOATHEBears
12-31-2017, 10:03 AM
1. I was wrong. I had Louisville beating us 33-20 yesterday. So let's go ahead and get that out of the way. I said the only way I saw us winning was if we came out to be physical and wear their asses down. On that- I was correct. That is what we did. Yesterday- our gameplan was exactly what I have been talking about in relation to Dan Mullen and his playcalling. We didnt come out getting cute and throwing 3 straight passes to start a game. We threw 3 passes total on our 1st two drives- the result? 14 points. #RTGDF when you have the personnel we have. Dont get cute to start a game by trying to throw a damn pass to Reggie freaking Todd. Rely on your best offensive players doing what they do best.

2. As many have said already, I'm very happy for Knox, English, and the rest of the coaches. They had the team prepared and ready to play. Just an incredible job considering everything that has gone on- not to mention that they are looking for jobs as all this went on. The calls werent always perfect and we had some penalties along with some personnel miscues, but under the circumstances these guys did really well. Helluva job by English to make some adjustments at halftime to get more pressure on Jackson. Difference in the ballgame right there

3. 55 runs to 20 passes. Excellent gameplan with the personnel we had for the bowl game. We werent going to win the game throwing it to Reggie Todd, Osirus Mitchell, Jamal Couch, etc....we were going to win it by #RTGDF with the A-Train, KT, and Hill. 47/264 for those 3 guys yesterday. That is how its done. Sirmon made some adjustments and loaded the box more on us- and the offense sputtered in the 2nd and 3rd a good bit- but we wore their ass down. The 4th Q we imposed our will because we kept on pounding.

4. There is no QB controversy no matter how much Brandon Walker and others want it to be. We have a 5th year Sr- 2 year starter at QB that is going into 2018 as the #6 rated QB in the country. He is also projected as a draft pick. We aren't sitting that guy next year. KT had a great day running the ball with 150 yards- but Fitz probably rolls for about 200 yards yesterday against that defense. KT only threw for 127 yards and a pick- let's not act like he threw for 300 yards yesterday. He had a good day and led us to victory. KT will probably be a better QB in Year 4 than Fitz was in Year 4 of his career- but 5th year Fitz will be State's QB.

You know why else there won't be a QB controversy? You don't give Fitz any reason at all to be a grad transfer to leave you with KT and Mayden as the only QB's on your roster for 2018. You start Fitz and get KT some playing time as the season goes on. Then KT gets to start for 2 years and work his magic.

5. 3 headed RB tandems just arent good for your offense unless you have the type of players that Bama or Georgia has as their 3rd RB. I'm sorry for Gibson- but 2018 needs to be the A-Train and Hill Show. Then get Marcus Murphy some clean up reps unless it looks like he just absolutely needs to play on defense.

6. We played our 2018 OL in the 2nd half and kept on rolling. That will be a great group in 2018. We will even have some depth with the guys we were able to redshirt. Really excited about these guys moving forward.

7. Simmons was ridiculous yesterday. 1 sack and EIGHT QB hurries as a DT. Eight hurries in one game by a DT is insane. He will be a top 10 draft pick in the 2019 Draft. Just keep working and stay healthy big boy.

8. I hope Sweat stays- because our DL will be special next year. With Sweat- we have a top 5 in the country DL. Without Sweat- its still really damn good with lots of depth. Either way we will be fine. But to have a special season- you need a special DL in college football. Let's hope he stays.

10. Great game by our safeties- obviously Mac led the way with 3 picks- but the group played really well as a whole. Should really be outstanding next year when we add the redshirts

11. Dantzler and Peters are the odds on favorites at CB for 2018- need to find a grad transfer to help here also. Solid job by Dantzler yesterday getting extensive playing time.

12. We got what we needed yesterday- a win and momentum. Some on here tried to downplay a loss heading into the offseason and said yesterday didnt matter for the program- BULLSHIT. All the positive pub created by yesterday was huge for our program. It's huge going into the Spring. It's huge for confidence in some players. It's huge for the perception of the program by people that cover college football. It's huge that we will finished the season ranked. It's also huge because people see what we have coming back leading into next season.

13. The Joe Moorhead Era has now begun today. Looking forward to 2018 because this team has the chance to better 1999 and 2014.

Hail State

Besides the WIN, I?m proud they won without Don Moulanrouge. It shows the program is bigger and better than one person. With a loss the media would have never given us a chance because they think we only have won because of him (and he gets credit for getting us to this level). I?m excited for the JoMo era. Buckle up 2018 should be great at Hailstate.

basedog
12-31-2017, 10:10 AM

I have to say now that Simmons will be filthy rich soon. Dude was a one man wrecking ball, probably will be our greatest defensive player before his career is over. Motor never stops and seems to be a good team leader!

IMissJack
12-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Lamar Jackson sent out a tweet last night to MSU, giving them some well done, and congrats. Simmons responded with some nice props to Jackson. Good for both of those guys, it was good to see. There is no doubt Jackson is a great athlete.

tcdog70
12-31-2017, 10:27 AM
I could never figure why You and many others thought we would get beaten. As a coach you should know the game is won by the big boys up front. I had an idea our OL and DL would kick the Cardinals ass. I also figured our pressure on Jackson would cause Him to make some mistakes. Did you not think we would be able to run the ball on Sirmon's defense. We should have won by 3 TDs. The Refs gave them one TD and we had our regular 17 up right before half. ole 20 had 2 big screw ups that we over came along with Gabes muff(why not have Thomas?). We would have stomped Ole Miss with this staff.

msstate7
12-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Lamar Jackson sent out a tweet last night to MSU, giving them some well done, and congrats. Simmons responded with some nice props to Jackson. Good for both of those guys, it was good to see. There is no doubt Jackson is a great athlete.

That is awesome

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2017, 11:03 AM

May be an unpopular opinion, but I think Simmons is the best player State has ever had. He is just a beast, and you are right. He should be a top 10 pick, and i wouldnt be surprised if he went top 3. I am very excited for one more season to watch him next year.

msbulldog
12-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Great Post C34.

sleepy dawg
12-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Besides the WIN, I?m proud they won without Don Moulanrouge. It shows the program is bigger and better than one person. With a loss the media would have never given us a chance because they think we only have won because of him (and he gets credit for getting us to this level). I?m excited for the JoMo era. Buckle up 2018 should be great at Hailstate.

The media still won't give us a chance. This game won't change that b/c most of the media barely watches college football.

Ari Gold
12-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Hail State

Very strong post.
And #13 sounds so ****ing refreshing.

From what I have been told. Look for Murphy to get a shot at CB. Kid supposedly wants to play D because he knows that’s his ticket to the League. CJM May have other plans, but Murphy is a stud so wherever he ends up it should have great results.

Looking forward to spring practice .

sleepy dawg
12-31-2017, 11:25 AM

I think most folks will overlook this point, but I agree completely. I've been saying this all year. Aeris and Kylin should've been the only 2 backs on the field unless the game is over or we're playing an fcs school. In fact, I think its better to go with a 1 RB system than it is 3, but go 2 if you have the talent.

Look at what the Saints did this year as another example. They had Adrian Peterson, Kamara, and Ingram all sharing time. None of the 3 could get anything going. They trade Peterson and almost instantly Kamara and Ingram begin to dominate and become the best RB duo in the league.

Dawgface
12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm really excited about next year. Even looking forward to Spring practice. Hopefully Fitz will be well enough to handle some of the pass reps in practice.

Ari Gold
12-31-2017, 11:54 AM
When it comes to RB next season, I trust CJM and Coach Huff 10x better than CDM and Knox and with Hev being the RUnning game cord I’m sure that **** had way too much input since Mullen is his bitch.
I’m just glad everyone has finally turned the page on DLee.. great kid just not a SEC back. If there is a FB role with CJM offense there’s your D Lee.
Don’t give up on Gibson yet. I agree Aries and Hill are 1 and 2 but there are a few touches in there for Gibson ( I thought he got too many yesterday )

I am excited to see what CJM has in store for Dear. Where he lines him up? How many touches he gets ? . Ect..
lots of weapons next year for this offense and the D will be off the charts and if the backend performs well holy ****ing shit..

RiverCityDawg
12-31-2017, 11:55 AM
I think most folks will overlook this point, but I agree completely. I've been saying this all year. Aeris and Kylin should've been the only 2 backs on the field unless the game is over or we're playing an fcs school. In fact, I think its better to go with a 1 RB system than it is 3, but go 2 if you have the talent.

Look at what the Saints did this year as another example. They had Adrian Peterson, Kamara, and Ingram all sharing time. None of the 3 could get anything going. They trade Peterson and almost instantly Kamara and Ingram begin to dominate and become the best RB duo in the league.

Agree with what you guys are saying, but we need Gibson to stick around, so need to get him some touches. D Lee is always hurt, Alec Murphy is hurt and not great. We don't know if Webb will be ready to contribute next year and you have to have 3 backs ready in case of injury. This isn't like the NFL where you can just go get another guy if you have injuries.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2017, 11:55 AM
When it comes to RB next season, I trust CJM and Coach Huff 10x better than CDM and Knox and with Hev being the RUnning game cord I’m sure that **** had way too much input since Mullen is his bitch.
I’m just glad everyone has finally turned the page on DLee.. great kid just not a SEC back. If there is a FB role with CJM offense there’s your D Lee.
Don’t give up on Gibson yet. I agree Aries and Hill are 1 and 2 but there are a few touches in there for Gibson ( I thought he got too many yesterday )

I am excited to see what CJM has in store for Dear. Where he lines him up? How many touches he gets ? . Ect..
lots of weapons next year for this offense and the D will be off the charts and if the backend performs well holy ****ing shit..

You will never see a FB from a CJM offense.

Ari Gold
12-31-2017, 12:04 PM
With the WR.
Yes we have 3 difference makers finally coming here.
But let’s pump the brakes on giving up on some of these guys. Remember they were “coached” by Gonzo last few years.
A 100% upgrade in coaching with coach Getsy . I still think some of those guys can be good WRs .Austin Williams could be a sleeper going into next year.

Ari Gold
12-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Agree with what you guys are saying, but we need Gibson to stick around, so need to get him some touches. D Lee is always hurt, Alec Murphy is hurt and not great. We don't know if Webb will be ready to contribute next year and you have to have 3 backs ready in case of injury. This isn't like the NFL where you can just go get another guy if you have injuries.

If Murphy wants to play college football he needs to transfer.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2017, 12:08 PM
With the WR.
But let’s pump the brakes on giving up on some of these guys. Remember they were “coached” by Gonzo last few years.
A 100% upgrade in coaching with coach Getsy . I still think some of those guys can be good WRs .Austin Williams could be a sleeper going into next year.

I still like Todd's potential even though he had a rough day yesterday. He can create separation and has the height you want. Mixon and Dear can be playmakers. I'm not that optimistic on any of the other guys though. I have only seen Austin Williams on tape.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2017, 12:09 PM
If Murphy wants to play college football he needs to transfer.

We clearly have about 5 guys that need to transfer, that's why we need to sign 23-25 this year. We have 15 signees. We need to sign 8 more players.

DLGDawg
12-31-2017, 12:39 PM
And Fitz will probably send back, who dis?
Or tell Mullins the same thing he told us when we got word to him to back off our recruits....17 off!

Cooterpoot
12-31-2017, 12:41 PM
Hell, it?s all good! Just need quality depth at CB and WRs to make plays. Stay healthy at the LT spot too.
Going to be a long wait til Sept.

Maroonthirteen
12-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Number 12 and 13? Yes!

We needed that win badly with all we went through in November, That win was exactly what we need.

I?ll buy season tickets for the Joe Moorhead era for sure.

Coursesuper
12-31-2017, 01:20 PM
With the WR.

Did you get to watch Austin Williams in high school?

bulldawg28
12-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Hey C34, I gotta call you out. You've been wrong all year about this team. But admitting wrong about this game is a start. Hailstate!

You knew I was coming.

Coach34
12-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Hey C34, I gotta call you out. You've been wrong all year about this team. But admitting wrong about this game is a start. Hailstate!

You knew I was coming.

i said 7-5 and we went 8-4. I’ll take it. I’ve said for over a year 2018 is the year- and it will be.

Coach34
12-31-2017, 03:30 PM
I could never figure why You and many others thought we would get beaten. As a coach you should know the game is won by the big boys up front. I had an idea our OL and DL would kick the Cardinals ass. I also figured our pressure on Jackson would cause Him to make some mistakes. Did you not think we would be able to run the ball on Sirmon's defense. We should have won by 3 TDs. The Refs gave them one TD and we had our regular 17 up right before half. ole 20 had 2 big screw ups that we over came along with Gabes muff(why not have Thomas?). We would have stomped Ole Miss with this staff.

I didn’t think that we would survive all the distractions that have been thrown our way. Especially losing half of the offensive staff. We’ve seen all other teams going thru the coaching changeover fall on their face this bowl season. Lots of credit goes to Knox and the guys. Just a really great win for us and the program

HoopsDawg
12-31-2017, 03:39 PM
I didn’t think that we would survive all the distractions that have been thrown our way. Especially losing half of the offensive staff. We’ve seen all other teams going thru the coaching changeover fall on their face this bowl season. Lots of credit goes to Knox and the guys. Just a really great win for us and the program

Any rational person would have predicted a Louisville win. The top handicapper I know placed his largest bet of the bowl season on UL -5.5.

basedog
12-31-2017, 04:21 PM
JWS was correct saying "players win games not Coaches, Coaches just have to get them in the right situations".

No doubt this team has character and leadership.

BuckyIsAB****
12-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Gibson is a decent RB and works his ass off. If hes not gonna get reps at RB move his ass to LB and start him on every special team. He is a football player.

About LB, hate to be the guy but I've never been really impressed with LL. Even when he was at brookhaven I didnt see what the big deal was. He was better in 16 when our defense was hot garbage but hes been average at best this year. Erroll Thompson and Gay have already caught up to him if not passed him by. Dont get me wrong I hope he is an all american next year but I wouldnt hold my breath

BuckyIsAB****
12-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Did you get to watch Austin Williams in high school?

I did. Coached against him twice, played in a split back veer offense as a WR so hes raw but after a redshirt season he should help us next year. He can go up and get it some and has solid hands. Also he was the guy for Ocean Springs in crunch time. Hes got some of that it factor about him

Coursesuper
12-31-2017, 04:51 PM
Gibson is a decent RB and works his ass off. If hes not gonna get reps at RB move his ass to LB and start him on every special team. He is a football player.

About LB, hate to be the guy but I've never been really impressed with LL. Even when he was at brookhaven I didnt see what the big deal was. He was better in 16 when our defense was hot garbage but hes been average at best this year. Erroll Thompson and Gay have already caught up to him if not passed him by. Dont get me wrong I hope he is an all american next year but I wouldnt hold my breath

I agree with your assessment completely, Gay and Thompson are going to be hard to keep off the field. Gay has improved in coverage by leaps and bounds.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2017, 05:00 PM
I still like Todd's potential even though he had a rough day yesterday. He can create separation and has the height you want. Mixon and Dear can be playmakers. I'm not that optimistic on any of the other guys though. I have only seen Austin Williams on tape.

Agree on Todd. He had bad day yesterday but he can really run and always seems to be open. I think he can be a good one. Mixon and Dear can be playmakers and I really like deddrick thomas. Jackson solid possession guy and I?m anxious to see what Williams can do. The 3 incoming guys are gonna put us on another level.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2017, 05:10 PM

Knox did a great job keeping it together. I give most of the credit to the players in that locker room. The leaders in that locker room made yesterday happen. On elite teams the players are the leaders and the coaches just teach and coach. With the leaders we have on this team we have a chance to be special. That win yesterday ranks in my top 3 all time just because of the circumstances involved. Coaches leaving, Nick hurt, etc and then give up what looks like a back breaking td before the half. 2 tos In our territory and d holds them to 2 fgs in 2nd half and then a 4th quarter td drive to win it with a freshman qb. That was an inspiring win. Coach JoMo ought to be just thrilled to death to be inheriting this bunch!

Coursesuper
12-31-2017, 05:10 PM
I did. Coached against him twice, played in a split back veer offense as a WR so hes raw but after a redshirt season he should help us next year. He can go up and get it some and has solid hands. Also he was the guy for Ocean Springs in crunch time. Hes got some of that it factor about him

I saw him play three times, smooth with great hands and catch radius, I don't know about speed on the next level. We shall see.

Johnson85
12-31-2017, 06:35 PM

You re not going to be able to keep guys from transferring if you only do a two man rotation. Lots of players treated like Williams was would have transferred, watching two less talented backs play before him for almost two years. Even if it's not ideal, you've got to give a third running back some meaningful touches to keep him invested (at least for most players)