PDA

View Full Version : So nfl teams really wanna take darnold over mayfield?

msstate7
12-29-2017, 11:50 PM
No way I would.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Absolutely not. darnold and Rosen both overrated. Some team will waste a high draft pick and a ton of money on both though.

msstate7
12-29-2017, 11:56 PM
Sorry I did not realize you guys were discussing this in cotton bowl thread. Mod can move for me

thf24
12-30-2017, 12:10 AM
Whoever the USCw QB is is always Jesus himself in the eyes of ESPN (the backup too if they can remotely justify it). How good he actually is has very little bearing. See: Mark Sanchez.

parabrave
12-30-2017, 12:55 AM
Well if Darnold does go pro this year he just got a preview how every game will go for him next year in CLEVELAND.

Maroonthirteen
12-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Darnold is Another example of hype over substance. The nfl or scouts...whomever need to delay these draft grades until the players finish their career. All games.

Red Sox Dawg
12-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Doesn’t look like he has a strong arm to make the throws to me. Looked like an average college QB. Darnold will have a tough time being a successful QB in the NFL. IMHO

parabrave
12-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Darnold is Another example of hype over substance. The nfl or scouts...whomever need to delay these draft grades until the players finish their career. All games.

Well it's not the scouts unless it's the Browns or Dolphins, it's mostly Kyper or someone like him.

Lord McBuckethead
12-30-2017, 10:33 AM
I would take Shae and definitely Baker over this kid. USC QB isn't that good. Never heard his name before today.

Intramural All-American
12-30-2017, 10:48 AM
I would take Shae and definitely Baker over this kid. USC QB isn't that good. Never heard his name before today.

Then you don't watch college football. He has been hyped since last year and came into this season as the Heisman favorite. I agree that I haven't been impressed with him or Rosen this year, but they both are more prototype NFL QBs than Mayfield. Mayfield is a great college QB, and he may be a good NFL QB, but he has a lot more working against him than the other two. This year's QB class is just not very good.

Who was the last Big 12 QB to light up the NFL? You have QBs from that conference every year that put up video game numbers, and none of them ever translate to the NFL.

msstate7
12-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Then you don't watch college football. He has been hyped since last year and came into this season as the Heisman favorite. I agree that I haven't been impressed with him or Rosen this year, but they both are more prototype NFL QBs than Mayfield. Mayfield is a great college QB, and he may be a good NFL QB, but he has a lot more working against him than the other two. This year's QB class is just not very good.

Who was the last Big 12 QB to light up the NFL? You have QBs from that conference every year that put up video game numbers, and none of them ever translate to the NFL.

RG3 was ROY, but injuries ruined him. He put up over 4,000 yards his rookie year and over 3,600 his 2nd year

msstate7
12-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Mayfield put up a rating over 200 this year and 196 last season. The only qb besides mayfield since 2008 to top 190 is Russell wilson at 191 in 2011. These are not normal numbers being put up by mayfield... he is special

ETA... Russell is the perfect comparison. Mayfield is Russell 2.0.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Darnold is just meh.

Has a windup arm action, telegraphs passes, & is a bad decision maker.

IMO, his physical tools are similar to Kirk Cousins, but lacks the decision making capacity or consistency to be that. 2nd round player for me

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2017, 11:43 AM

There's a lot more that goes into scouting and selecting a QB than just how he played in a bowl game.

Intramural All-American
12-30-2017, 11:44 AM
RG3 was ROY, but injuries ruined him. He put up over 4,000 yards his rookie year and over 3,600 his 2nd year

Come on, you're better than that. RG3 was a flash in the pan, once teams got used to him, he couldn't do anything.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2017, 11:55 AM
There's a lot more that goes into scouting and selecting a QB than just how he played in a bowl game.

Darnold has been bad all year if you have watched him against decent teams.

He was tied for the national lead in turnovers.

My favorite Darnold excuse is that people blame his offensive line. He plays for USC. USC has better talent than anyone in their conference.

msstate7
12-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Come on, you're better than that. RG3 was a flash in the pan, once teams got used to him, he couldn't do anything.

I stand by it was injuries that done him in.

Lord McBuckethead
12-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Mayfield put up a rating over 200 this year and 196 last season. The only qb besides mayfield since 2008 to top 190 is Russell wilson at 191 in 2011. These are not normal numbers being put up by mayfield... he is special

ETA... Russell is the perfect comparison. Mayfield is Russell 2.0.

Yep.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-30-2017, 12:28 PM
I stand by it was injuries that done him in.

RG3’s ego did him in.