PDA

View Full Version : With the new 25 schollie limit, can you sign non qualifiers or do they count?

Tbonewannabe
12-29-2017, 10:58 AM
It seems like the new rule was you could have 25 guys sign LOI per year and none could count back. So would this impact if you sign someone and then they fail to qualify and have to go Juco? How does the rules work for that now? If someone doesn't get in, can you give the schollie to someone else for that year or is it just wasted?

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2017, 11:10 AM
non qualifiers count towards the 25. It's why we aren't signing them

Todd4State
12-29-2017, 11:15 AM
It's wasted. I think it's a good rule. It rewards players who have good grades.

12-29-2017, 11:21 AM
It's wasted. I think it's a good rule. It rewards players who have good grades.

I agree. Over time it will equal more talent in our JUCO system too, which works in our favor. I've seen people say that kids will be mad that we don't sign them, well, that will work against the other teams too who routinely sign and place in a MS JUCO.

MSU has greatly benefited from limits like these.

Tbonewannabe
12-29-2017, 11:41 AM
So UM is screwing themselves really bad if they sign someone who won't qualify since they have a schollie hit already. The Ealy thread started making me think about it when someone is absolutely not going to qualify or goes MLB.

smootness
12-29-2017, 11:57 AM
It's why you're seeing most teams back off of non-qualifiers and why they're available for Ole Miss. They've made the calculated decision to sign these guys for the purpose of trying to boost their recruiting rankings and the idea that they're recruiting well in the hopes of making it easier to convince guys who actually will qualify. We'll see if it works.

12-29-2017, 12:00 PM
It's why you're seeing most teams back off of non-qualifiers and why they're available for Ole Miss. They've made the calculated decision to sign these guys for the purpose of trying to boost their recruiting rankings and the idea that they're recruiting well in the hopes of making it easier to convince guys who actually will qualify. We'll see if it works.

Perception U

Commercecomet24
12-29-2017, 12:12 PM
So UM is screwing themselves really bad if they sign someone who won't qualify since they have a schollie hit already. The Ealy thread started making me think about it when someone is absolutely not going to qualify or goes MLB.

They're definitely gambling on this working. If these guys don't qualify or go some other route it reduces the amount of talent and depth even more. But we all know they love perception and rankings.

gravedigger
12-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Perception U

So strange. I thought when the sanctions came down they would essentially be on the road to recovery after a bad signing day. I really didnt count on them digging their hole deeper but with what their fanbase is expecting, it makes complete sense. If anyone needs confirmation, just read their fans on twitter.

Of course we all could be wrong and they have managed to not only survive the sanctions before they really sink in, but have completely reversed their affect in the matter of 30 days.

Their program reminds me of a recent con artist I heard about. When the con artist was found out and given the opportunity to pay a nominal fine, he decides to double down and deny that there would be any further punishment. Could have paid a couple hundred dollars and all would be over and record would be wiped clean. But no. And by not accepting the offer, the con artist will spend some serious time in jail and the fines will be much greater. The short term embarrassment and pain of admitting wrongdoing prevents him from long term legitimacy.

We arent Ole Miss's biggest rival. Nor is LSU.

It's hubris.

jumbo
12-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Just because someone commits (Ealy) doesn't mean they will sign. OM will let a kid publicly commit 10 times out of 10 for the good PR.