PDA

View Full Version : Listening to the Boneyard yesterday

Dawgology
12-28-2017, 05:28 PM
I think that is the first time Steve has ever come right out and said that Mullen's staff didn't recruit hard. We all have said it for years but it was nice to hear a guy that follows recruiting for a living finally say it. It's going to be nice to be competitive again.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 05:38 PM
I think that is the first time Steve has ever come right out and said that Mullen's staff didn't recruit hard. We all have said it for years but it was nice to hear a guy that follows recruiting for a living finally say it. It's going to be nice to be competitive again.

Be competitive again?

Are we not competitive?

What is your definition of competitive?

BeastMan
12-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Steve can gtfo with that. He’s been sunshine pumping and making excuses for that staff for years and now since they’re gone he wants to call them out? Hilarious

civildawg
12-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Steve can gtfo with that. He’s been sunshine pumping and making excuses for that staff for years and now since they’re gone he wants to call them out? Hilarious

Yep.

NCDawg
12-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Be competitive again?

Are we not competitive?

Not getting beat 31-3 by Georgia, and 49-10 by Auburn.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 06:12 PM

We've averaged 8 wins a year. We have literally competed better in the past 8 years than at any continuous time in our history.

Georgia got beat 40-17 by Auburn. Do they need to become more competitive as well?

I get that everyone wants to take a step forward, but "be competitive" is the absolute wrong word for it.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2017, 06:13 PM
We only need a slight improvement in recruiting to be able to compete with the big boys. We don't have to sign top 10 classes every year. Look at next year's team. If we had signed just 1 4 star corner the past 3 years and that guy played to his ranking, then we would be really stout on D.

On offense, we can't have a 4 year drought at the receiver position like we did until this class. And we need to sign 2 more legit Olinemen per year. This isn't a drastic improvement in recruiting but it would make a big difference with our roster.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 06:17 PM
We only need a slight improvement in recruiting to be able to compete with the big boys. We don't have to sign top 10 classes every year. Look at next year's team. If we had signed just 1 4 star corner the past 3 years and that guy played to his ranking, then we would be really stout on D.

On offense, we can't have a 4 year drought at the receiver position like we did until this class. And we need to sign 2 more legit Olinemen per year. This isn't a drastic improvement in recruiting but it would make a big difference with our roster.

Agree. With quality roster management, recruiting between 15-20 while continuing to red shirt guys, should offer us enough talent to compete year in & year out for the West. At least have a chance in the same way Wisconsin is consistently competing for the Big 10.

Now, we technically have more talent than Wisky, they have some advantages due to the division they are in in the Big 10 & the Big 10 is generally easier. So we have to recruit better than them. So in my mind, we are sitting at somewhere around 22 4* or better players. If we can somehow add 1 or 2 4*s a year more than we currently do, then we will be sitting in that 30 4* range, which is similar to the likes of Texas A&M, Stanford, Tennessee,

Currently, we have 16 4 or 5* recruits on the roster & 57 3*s of which, about 6-10 of them were ranked 4* on at least 1 site (It helped when Scout existed). These guys include Sweat, Abram, Rivers, etc. According to 247, we have 10 players that were ranked 87-88 (89 is a 4 star) with Sweat being an 86 rated 3 star

What I really want is 30+ 4 & 5 star recruits on the roster. Now, due to how poor MS is evaluated in recruiting, it's difficult to obtain, 30 guys that are 4* or better by at least 1 site should be attainable in the future

Commercecomet24
12-28-2017, 06:27 PM

100% agree on this. Great assessment.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-28-2017, 06:28 PM

This

To go from our usual 24-28th ranked class to a consistent 18-22nd rank class is pretty much 1-2 extra 4* a year. We can all think of 1 or 2 kids every year for the past 5 classes that if you add them to our team we're a SEC contender. So no we're not far away at all.

thf24
12-28-2017, 07:10 PM

I can understand the past sunshine pumping given that his livelihood is largely dependent on his increased access to the team and staff.

was21
12-28-2017, 07:17 PM
We've been competitive. Making us competitive is the gist of what Mullen did. We are now a competitive SEC team. The program was transformed under Mullen, give him his due. And that's a big deal that he accomplished. Now...let's move on

BeastMan
12-28-2017, 07:18 PM
I can understand the past sunshine pumping given that his livelihood is largely dependent on his increased access to the team and staff.

Oh don’t give me wrong, I get it. It just shows why you shouldn’t give GP money because you won’t get honest coverage.

ETA- Let Me rephrase that. Steve, Paul, and Robbie are just trying to make a living. I’m more a fan of how Paul/Robbie report but they’re all 1 enchilada these days. So, still subscribe. I just can’t pay for the rain and you tell me it’s sunshine outside.

msbulldog
12-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Tell it Beast, but realize Rosebowl's income depends on access to MSU athletics! He's not going to be critical, but he brings us good information. It is no different than old time sports reporters like Rick Cleveland. These guys are selling stories that get clicks, like Rick and others wrote stories to make you come back and see what happened!

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 08:04 PM

Peters and Dantzler will be one of the better duos in the SEC at corner next year. Just need to stay healthy. Tyler Williams is a solid player as well. We do need to sign 2 or 3 good CBs the next 2 years tho or we will be in trouble in 2019

Coach34
12-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Peters and Dantzler will be one of the better duos in the SEC at corner next year. Just need to stay healthy.

This is not correct. They will be middle of the SEC at best.

maroonmania
12-28-2017, 08:29 PM

While he may have been more direct in his criticism on his show yesterday, he has certainly, on previous shows, been critical of certain aspects of recruiting by the previous staff (particularly on the OL). I know he had been specifically critical of waiting until camp to offer certain high end recruits. He has also in the past at least implied that we have some 'lazy' recruiters on the staff. But yes, he certainly pulled no punches yesterday.

HaggardDawg
12-28-2017, 08:37 PM
I wish he would just tell us who the coach is that said we?re at a disadvantage because we dont have a shopping mall. Thats just ridiculous. Sounds like that coach was just regurgitating what his wife complained about once.

MaroonFlounder
12-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Peters and Dantzler will be one of the better duos in the SEC at corner next year. Just need to stay healthy. Tyler Williams is a solid player as well. We do need to sign 2 or 3 good CBs the next 2 years tho or we will be in trouble in 2019

Dantzler yes. Peters is feast or famine. He has been able to jump some routes and get a pick or PBU. But may not start next season again.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 09:36 PM
This is not correct. They will be middle of the SEC at best.

Ok. Put middle of the SEC at best with our front 7 and safeties and we will be stout on defense. Dantzler is good gonna be better than Peters idk why you so low on them

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Dantzler yes. Peters is feast or famine. He has been able to jump some routes and get a pick or PBU. But may not start next season again.

He didnt start this year bc he wasnt a senior

Dawgology
12-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Be competitive again?

Are we not competitive?

Um...I was talking about being competitive in recruiting... simmer down a bit

Coach34
12-28-2017, 10:13 PM
I wish he would just tell us who the coach is that said we?re at a disadvantage because we dont have a shopping mall. Thats just ridiculous. Sounds like that coach was just regurgitating what his wife complained about once.

director of recruiting that went with Mullen to Florida

Spiderman
12-28-2017, 10:23 PM

He had very little meaningful access with Mullen and his staff.

I think he's a sunshine pumper for the most part, but he has always hinted there was some lazy recruiting by certain staff members.

Homedawg
12-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Ok. Put middle of the SEC at best with our front 7 and safeties and we will be stout on defense. Dantzler is good gonna be better than Peters idk why you so low on them

Cause peters is an avg sec corner at best.... is what it is.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:25 PM

His WR recruited greatly showed this.

Funny how Schaefer, Cannizzaro, etc can get studs to come.

Also funny how defensive players apparently care much less about shopping malls than offensive players

maroonmania
12-28-2017, 10:26 PM

Ah, figures that it would be the female on staff that was worried about having a shopping mall. Assuming we are speaking of Miss Begley.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:26 PM

Sounds like you warming up on peters

Spiderman
12-28-2017, 10:28 PM

When did Oxford get a mall?

HoopsDawg
12-28-2017, 10:36 PM

Yeah, we should be good on defense. Just wish we had a couple of Will Redmonds at corner.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 10:37 PM

I like him. Hes better against the bigger WRs not calvin ridley

MetEdDawg
12-28-2017, 10:57 PM
This

To go from our usual 24-28th ranked class to a consistent 18-22nd rank class is pretty much 1-2 extra 4* a year. We can all think of 1 or 2 kids every year for the past 5 classes that if you add them to our team we're a SEC contender. So no we're not far away at all.

And if you combine that over 4-5 years, you are talking about an extra 4-10 guys like that on the roster. It doesn?t seem like a huge difference, but when you add it up you realize just how big that can be.

The top teams have elite talent all over their starting 22. But they also have elite talent riding the bench and backing guys up. We don?t have that at enough positions and it?s shown, especially at WR and DB. You can say it for the OL too but we have been able to plug here and there and be ok. If we can start building depth it?s gonna be a difference maker.

Todd4State
12-29-2017, 12:51 AM

This is all correct. And the thing about gettig to 15-20 for us with how Mississippi is notoriously underrated is that is going to equate out to more like a top 12 class for everyone else.

Even just signing a full class of all three star offensive linemen would have helped us. It's the not signing anyone and then tyring to "count back" or rely on JUCO's that hurts.

Todd4State
12-29-2017, 12:55 AM
And if you combine that over 4-5 years, you are talking about an extra 4-10 guys like that on the roster. It doesn?t seem like a huge difference, but when you add it up you realize just how big that can be.

The top teams have elite talent all over their starting 22. But they also have elite talent riding the bench and backing guys up. We don?t have that at enough positions and it?s shown, especially at WR and DB. You can say it for the OL too but we have been able to plug here and there and be ok. If we can start building depth it?s gonna be a difference maker.

It's not surprising that Dan didn't do well at the swag positions. Of course even though we may have been able to plug in decent players here and there but that doesn't mean we are maximizing our recruiting potential. We get two four stars even every other year and it would have made a huge difference on the offensive line.

Todd4State
12-29-2017, 01:01 AM
His WR recruited greatly showed this.

Funny how Schaefer, Cannizzaro, etc can get studs to come.

Also funny how defensive players apparently care much less about shopping malls than offensive players

THIS.

And the mall thing sounds like an argument from the 1990's. Those things are dying out across the country and if one was built in Starkville it probably would end up being an eyesore. I guess the fact that Starkville doesn't have a Cracker Barrel is an issue too right?** College kids can buy anything they want and much more online. I only go to the mall about 5-6 times a year max. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's a lot for a typical person nowadays.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2017, 01:34 AM
THIS.

And the mall thing sounds like an argument from the 1990's. Those things are dying out across the country and if one was built in Starkville it probably would end up being an eyesore. I guess the fact that Starkville doesn't have a Cracker Barrel is an issue too right?** College kids can buy anything they want and much more online. I only go to the mall about 5-6 times a year max. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's a lot for a typical person nowadays.

Well danny boys recruiting coordinator was a woman so the shopping mall crack sounds about right lol

Lance Harbor
12-29-2017, 02:16 AM
Clemson doesn't have a shopping mall. Hell, Clemson doesn't have a Wal-Mart.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Can we stop with the Georgia and auburn scores? Georgia is the SEC champion in the playoff and Auburn beat UGA and Bama in back to back weeks. They are both very good football teams and to try to belittle this years state team with those 2 losses is just petty.

NCDawg
12-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Can we stop with the Georgia and auburn scores? Georgia is the SEC champion in the playoff and Auburn beat UGA and Bama in back to back weeks. They are both very good football teams and to try to belittle this years state team with those 2 losses is just petty.

The guy asked what the definition of competitive was. I pointed out we were not competitive in those 2 games in my opinion-maybe you think we were. The Alabama game 2 years ago was when were really not competitive. They could have named the score on us. Saban put in his substitutes in the 2nd half and just ran the ball to hold down the score. I hope those days are over with the arrival of Coach Moorhead, and I believe they will be.