PDA

View Full Version : Teams I like heading into 2018

msstate7
12-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Texas... they lose only 4 players on their offensive depth chart and only 4 players on their defensive depth chart. They are adding an outstanding recruiting class. I really believe in Herman. I look for them to make a Georgia type jump next season.

Fsu... they also return pretty much their entire offensive depth chart. Francois returning will be a huge boost, and I look for him to kill it under taggert. Not sure in Patrick is a draft risk; but if they keep him to pair with Akers, that could be the best combo in the country next season. This team was a huge disappointment, but I expect a bounce back in a big way next season.

Purdue... I do not expect them to be a national contender like the above 2, but I do expect them to challenge Wisconsin for the big 10 east. They return all but 2 on their offensive depth chart including all their oline and qb. Brohm will score a lot next season.

Who are some of yours?

Todd4State
12-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Mississippi State. We're going to kick ass next year. Improved at head coach and WR. Need to find a punter.

starkvegasdawg
12-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Mississippi State. We're going to kick ass next year. Improved at head coach and WR. Need to find a punter.

Gonna be so good we won?t need a punter.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 09:01 AM

I think we have a chance to be a pretty solid team. Assuming we pick up Moorhead offense quickly and shoop still has something in the tank, I think we can win 9-10 games

smootness
12-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Tucker Day was an All-American punter. I think we already have one.

99jc
12-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I think we have a chance to be a pretty solid team. Assuming we pick up Moorhead offense quickly and shoop still has something in the tank, I think we can win 9-10 games

Just not sold on Moorhead yet we are taking a chance on him just like Dan. If we only win 6-7 games next season with what he has returning (unless we have massive injuries to key positions) he is not a good hire. I hope he is great just a little cautious. Just like I am cautious to anoint any signees to a legendary status before they play a down.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 09:41 AM
I don’t see Texas making anywhere near a UGA type jump.

Texas is too soft and not near as talented as UGA.

I see Texas being an 8 win team. Maybe 9

msstate7
12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
I don’t see Texas making anywhere near a UGA type jump.

Texas is too soft and not near as talented as UGA.

I see Texas being an 8 win team. Maybe 9

They do not play in a physical conference. They have usc and tcu at home with both replacing their QBs. Oklahoma losing mayfield will make the other big game winnable. Those are the only 3 games I see them potentially losing and none are true away games. They win 2 and finish 11-1

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 09:52 AM
They do not play in a physical conference. They have usc and tcu at home with both replacing their QBs. Oklahoma losing mayfield will make the other big game winnable. Those are the only 3 games I see them potentially losing and none are true away games. They win 2 and finish 11-1

Nah. Not even close.

They’ll drop a few others along the way that they should win.

Texas doesn’t have anywhere near the right culture at this point to play well every week.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Nah. Not even close.

They’ll drop a few others along the way that they should win.

Texas doesn’t have anywhere near the right culture at this point to play well every week.

They have the right coach. Herman is gonna win big there

MedDawg
12-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Texas... they lose only 4 players on their offensive depth chart and only 4 players on their defensive depth chart. They are adding an outstanding recruiting class. I really believe in Herman. I look for them to make a Georgia type jump next season.

Fsu... they also return pretty much their entire offensive depth chart. Francois returning will be a huge boost, and I look for him to kill it under taggert. Not sure in Patrick is a draft risk; but if they keep him to pair with Akers, that could be the best combo in the country next season. This team was a huge disappointment, but I expect a bounce back in a big way next season.

Purdue... I do not expect them to be a national contender like the above 2, but I do expect them to challenge Wisconsin for the big 10 east. They return all but 2 on their offensive depth chart including all their oline and qb. Brohm will score a lot next season.

Who are some of yours?

A strong U of Texas will take blue chip recruits from Texas A&M and help us (continue to) beat A&M.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:01 AM
They have the right coach. Herman is gonna win big there

What does this have to do with next year?

I don’t disagree with you on Herman but it won’t happen next year.

They won 6 regular season games this year and aren’t near good enough at QB to make a huge jump.

Your argument appears more centered around the teams they play and not Texas. Texas isn’t good enough to win 10 games yet. They’ll win 8 maybe 9 next year. Their culture isn’t right yet and they don’t have the offensive playmakers

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Just not sold on Moorhead yet we are taking a chance on him just like Dan. If we only win 6-7 games next season with what he has returning (unless we have massive injuries to key positions) he is not a good hire. I hope he is great just a little cautious. Just like I am cautious to anoint any signees to a legendary status before they play a down.

I’m calling bullshit on this post. If we are bowl eligible next year then it’s been a successful season. Some of you are spoiled damn rotten about sports. That’s the same group that was pissed off when Stansbury was winning 20 games a year and wanted a change. Now it’s been 6 years since a tourney birth. You be cautious all you want to in your professional assessment but the coaches and the players don’t have that luxury. There is a VERY fine line between 6 wins and 9 wins in this league. And I am not prepared to “Media label” someone a “bad hire” if they have ANY kind of winning season. You think UF people will label Dan “up your ass” Mullen a bad hire if they go to a bowl game next year? Spare my ass!!

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:07 AM
What does this have to do with next year?

I don’t disagree with you on Herman but it won’t happen next year.

They won 6 regular season games this year and aren’t near good enough at QB to make a huge jump.

Your argument appears more centered around the teams they play and not Texas. Texas isn’t good enough to win 10 games yet. They’ll win 8 maybe 9 next year. Their culture isn’t right yet and they don’t have the offensive playmakers

Lost 6 games by a combined 42 points... lost by 3 in 2OT to usc and lost by 5 to Oklahoma. Largest loss of the year was 17 at tcu. They were a few bounces away from being an 8-9 win team this year.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:08 AM
I’m calling bullshit on this post. If we are bowl eligible next year then it’s been a successful season.

Ugh, No

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Lost 6 games by a combined 42 points... lost by 3 in 2OT to usc and lost by 5 to Oklahoma. Largest loss of the year was 17 at tcu. They were a few bounces away from being an 8-9 win team this year.

So what's your point?

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
So what's your point?

They are close. They were very competitive this year. They are the 41st best defense in the country (2nd in big 12) this year with the weak link being the secondary... they just signed 2 safeties and 2 corners all rated over 97. Their defense will be really good next season. I expect the offense to improve with another offseason together and learning under Herman

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
They are close. They were very competitive this year. They are the 41st best defense in the country (2nd in big 12) this year with the weak link being the secondary... they just signed 2 safeties and 2 corners all rated over 97. Their defense will be really good next season. I expect the offense to improve with another offseason together and learning under Herman

They are getting better, but they ain't winning 10 games next year. 8 maybe 9 wins would be a step forward for them. They aren't a double digit win program yet. The freshmen will help, but you can't expect them to take that team to another level as freshmen. It's kind of a dumb argument to be honest & the one that dumb pollsters make every year. It's why you see teams like Texas overrated every year in the polls.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:21 AM
They are getting better, but they ain't winning 10 games next year. 8 maybe 9 wins would be a step forward for them. They aren't a double digit win program yet. The freshmen will help, but you can't expect them to take that team to another level as freshmen. It's kind of a dumb argument to be honest & the one that dumb pollsters make every year. It's why you see teams like Texas overrated every year in the polls.

They return 4 of their top 5 DBs. They are not counting on the freshmen... the freshmen will either be ready to take over or provide quality depth.

ETA... I have never pumped up Texas. I cannot stand them; but I watched them a lot this year, and have thought they were close all year. The recruiting class pushed me toward thinking they really will be back next season.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 10:24 AM
They return 4 of their top 5 DBs. They are not counting on the freshmen... the freshmen will either be ready to take over or provide quality depth.

They also lose the best punter in the country.

Seriously, I struggle to debate with you because you make irrelevant posts that don't offer assistance to your point.

Texas is headed in the right direction. I believe that, but they are not anywhere close to an 11 win program right now.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Seriously, I struggle to debate with you because you make irrelevant posts that don't offer assistance to your point.

Texas is headed in the right direction. I believe that, but they are not anywhere close to an 11 win program right now.

You have said they are soft and that is your whole argument, but I have the dumb argument

Tbonewannabe
12-28-2017, 10:30 AM

I don't care one way or the other but the same exact thing could be said about UGA prior to this year. I don't expect that kind of improvement but for them to win 10 wouldn't be crazy. I would probably think 9 is closer to where they will end the regular season but I wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 or 11.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:33 AM
I don't care one way or the other but the same exact thing could be said about UGA prior to this year. I don't expect that kind of improvement but for them to win 10 wouldn't be crazy. I would probably think 9 is closer to where they will end the regular season but I wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 or 11.

Exactly. Shotgun predicted us whipping Georgia after we beat LSU, but now he rewrites history by saying how supremely talented Georgia is. They were not supremely talented before our game with them though

Tbonewannabe
12-28-2017, 10:35 AM
I think Mizzou is improved next year especially if Lock comes back. I could see them winning 8 or possibly 9 games if everything fell right. It would be hilarious if Lateral's first year in the East if UGA, USCe, Mizzou, and UK all beat UF. UT will be improved also. The East will still be weaker but not by much if UGA can become Bama East.

Cooterpoot
12-28-2017, 10:37 AM
1. Texas recruiting is incredibly overrated year after year. Just because they played a MO team without there OC doesn?t show me anything.
2. Taggart is 47-50 in his career. Why do people think he?s great?
3. Purdue is limited by academics. They?ll never be incredible. Great school though.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:39 AM
I think Mizzou is improved next year especially if Lock comes back. I could see them winning 8 or possibly 9 games if everything fell right. It would be hilarious if Lateral's first year in the East if UGA, USCe, Mizzou, and UK all beat UF. UT will be improved also. The East will still be weaker but not by much if UGA can become Bama East.

They lose their top rusher, but return a freshman that went for over 700 yards. They lose their top receiver, but return the next 4 in receiving yards. They return all 5 starting olinemen. Their offense could be really explosive next season. They do get gutted on the dline though

smootness
12-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Herman is a good coach, but if you want somebody who won't lose games he shouldn't, he's not your guy. They'll be improved, maybe greatly so, but they won't be a contender.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 10:42 AM
1. Texas recruiting is incredibly overrated year after year. Just because they played a MO team without there OC doesn?t show me anything.
3. Purdue is limited by academics. They?ll never be incredible. Great school though.

WT took over 2 terrible programs in wku and USF and turned both around. Led Oregon to winning record after they had a losing record last season. He is a good coach

parabrave
12-28-2017, 10:52 AM

#2. Thinking the same. What has this guy done to deserve the hype?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-28-2017, 11:07 AM
#2. Thinking the same. What has this guy done to deserve the hype?

Taggart is a really solid coach. Will he do better than Jimbo peak we'll see but he's a good coach.

Western Kentucky last 2yrs before he arrived they were 2-22 including 0-12 the year before he got there.

Taggart came in & went

2-10 7-5 7-5. He was poised for a big year in year 4 when he took the USF job.

South Florida last 2yrs before he took over was 8-16 including 3-9 the year before he got there.

Taggart came in & went

2-10 4-8 8-5 10-2. That 10-2 record that Charlie Strong got was built off of Taggart's work.

Last year Oregon went 4-8

Taggart came in this year went 7-5. They started the year 4-1 & their starting QB & backup QB both got hurt. They lost 4 out of 5 games with the 3rd string QB. The starter came back & they won the last 2.

Saying all that to say yes Taggart is a good HC. Take away the 1st year at Western Kentucky & USF where those 2 teams were a combined 3-21 the previous year & his record is 43-30.

Covercorner2
12-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Kansas State is starting to worry me. Their QB (Delton) looked like a Fitz clone (maybe faster) the other night.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Kansas State is starting to worry me. Their QB (Delton) looked like a Fitz clone (maybe faster) the other night.

It's gonna be a tough test.

We are going to have to win the trenches.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Kansas state does not lose 1 offensive starter and 4 on defense

Coach34
12-28-2017, 12:08 PM
I?m calling bullshit on this post. If we are bowl eligible next year then it?s been a successful season. You think UF people will label Dan ?up your ass? Mullen a bad hire if they go to a bowl game next year? Spare my ass!!

A) We have a team next year that is a 9 win team at worst if Sweat stays. Anything less would be severely underachieving. You dont bring back what we do next year with 2 potential 1st rounders starting on your DL and just hope for a winning season. This will be the most talented team you watched in a State uniform

B) If Mullen goes 7-5 at Florida their fans will be irate with him

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2017, 12:23 PM
A) We have a team next year that is a 9 win team at worst if Sweat stays. Anything less would be severely underachieving. You dont bring back what we do next year with 2 potential 1st rounders starting on your DL and just hope for a winning season. This will be the most talented team you watched in a State uniform

B) If Mullen goes 7-5 at Florida their fans will be irate with him

A) You cannot base next year off this year. You’re a coach. You should know that. Don’t tell me what I‘ve watched in a State uniform. I‘ve seen 2 first rounders on the same team at CB and we still gave up passing yards, it takes team unity and chemistry and work ethic to get it done. Sometimes it takes a coach longer than 7 months to instill that in a team. I Know you and you know me. Let’s leave it at that. Now, expectation wise, I agree with you. I agree we should be an 8 or 9 win team, but expectations don’t mean shit in this game. You either go do it or not. I’m just saying 1 measley ass year will not make me decide this is a good hire or not. Sorry for my directness, but it works best for me.

B) Mullen goes 7-5 (which is just about his ceiling) UF will go to a bowl game and bitch and wail like we do which is the most stupid, asinine thing I will ever see. The truth of the matter is, after 1 loss, the rest of the year is just gravy and TV ratings.

dawgday166
12-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Exactly. Shotgun predicted us whipping Georgia after we beat LSU, but now he rewrites history by saying how supremely talented Georgia is. They were not supremely talented before our game with them though

LOL ... you dumb and make "irrelevant" posts. That right there is funny now.

I agree with you. Not sure they'll make a Gawga jump but they'll be good under Herman. Last year most everyone on this board had us kicking Gawga's ass. Said they sucked and got waxed by an OM team that we beat 55-20. I tried to tell everyone don't sleep on them. I didn't quite see them doing what they did this year either tho, but saw them improving all year long and thought they'd be pretty decent this year.

Coach34
12-28-2017, 12:33 PM
A) You cannot base next year off this year. You’re a coach. You should know that. Don’t tell me what I‘ve watched in a State uniform. I‘ve seen 2 first rounders on the same team at CB and we still gave up passing yards, it takes team unity and chemistry and work ethic to get it done. Sometimes it takes a coach longer than 7 months to instill that in a team. I Know you and you know me. Let’s leave it at that. Now, expectation wise, I agree with you. I agree we should be an 8 or 9 win team, but expectations don’t mean shit in this game. You either go do it or not. I’m just saying 1 measley ass year will not make me decide this is a good hire or not. Sorry for my directness, but it works best for me.

I'm not basing it off this year- I'm basing it off talent.

We have a draft pick at QB backed up by another draft pick
We have a draft pick at TB to go along with a very good Sr starter
We have a draft pick or two on the OL
We are solid at WR and TE
We have 2 potential 1st rounders and All-SEC defensive linemen with the most depth we've had since 99
We have very good LB'ers
We have a good, veteran crew of safeties
CB needs work but our pass rush will help them

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2017, 12:38 PM

We have 2 potential 1st rounders and All-SEC defensive linemen with the most depth we've had since 99
We have very good LB'ers

I agree with the talent Coach, but you know there are a lot of tangibles and it’s a lot of work to do for a new coach. With that said, I expect that we will be a success.

Matt3467
12-28-2017, 12:41 PM

We have very good LB'ers

I don't see Fitz being a draft pick unless he improves leaps and bounds in the passing game, but I agree with everything else you've said.

dawgday166
12-28-2017, 12:43 PM
A)

B) Mullen goes 7-5 (which is just about his ceiling) UF will go to a bowl game and bitch and wail like we do which is the most stupid, asinine thing I will ever see. The truth of the matter is, after 1 loss, the rest of the year is just gravy and TV ratings.

I've been one of Mullen's most vocal critics at times. Mostly cause he went into cruise control too often and was satisfied with 6 - 8 wins. And he ran good D coordinators off too often too. Always expected the D to play lights out even when his offense would show up and score only 17 against any pretty good team (or 10 and less against Bama).

Having said that, I don't see his "ceiling" at just 7-5. It's probably more like 10-2 or so. He can coach when he decides to. Takes "relentless" effort at MSU tho, and he didn't always give that. Good thing for him is Grantham has nowhere to go right now, so he has a pretty good D coordinator now too.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 01:43 PM
I?m calling bullshit on this post. If we are bowl eligible next year then it?s been a successful season. Some of you are spoiled damn rotten about sports. That?s the same group that was pissed off when Stansbury was winning 20 games a year and wanted a change. Now it?s been 6 years since a tourney birth. You be cautious all you want to in your professional assessment but the coaches and the players don?t have that luxury. There is a VERY fine line between 6 wins and 9 wins in this league. And I am not prepared to ?Media label? someone a ?bad hire? if they have ANY kind of winning season. You think UF people will label Dan ?up your ass? Mullen a bad hire if they go to a bowl game next year? Spare my ass!!

If we go 6-6 next year you'd better believe we got issues with Moorhead

Coach34
12-28-2017, 01:43 PM
I don't see Fitz being a draft pick unless he improves leaps and bounds in the passing game, but I agree with everything else you've said.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2019&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Coach34
12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
I agree with the talent Coach, but you know there are a lot of tangibles and it’s a lot of work to do for a new coach. With that said, I expect that we will be a success.

It wont be easy but we have a veteran team returning and haven't been losing. We have a proven guy offensively with a 5th year SR QB and lots of talent on defense. Next year will simply be hard to mess up.

Commercecomet24
12-28-2017, 02:12 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2019&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

And those top 3 guys Rosen, Allen and Jackson all going in the draft this year so that should move Nicks stock up a tad for 2019 in consideration of him having a good 2018.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Did I stumble on a Texas message board? Why are we arguing how good Texas will be?

msstate7
12-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Did I stumble on a Texas message board? Why are we arguing how good Texas will be?

Scouting our competition in the playoff next season**