PDA

View Full Version : Should the Mustard Buzzards new motto be...

Drugdog
12-28-2017, 08:21 AM
''We will get beat by anyone, anytime, anywhere "

SouthMSDog
12-28-2017, 09:03 AM
This thread was dull on Genespage and dull here, too. I grew up in Hattiesburg, spent 12 years away, and have been back for the past year and a half - I loathe USM fans. But this joke was only applicable in like 2000 when that was their campaign. They also had other great ones like 9-6-99. Picking on USM just doesn't seem right and only helps further their ridiculous argument that we have a rivalry with them. Don't acknowledge them.

Jack Lambert
12-28-2017, 09:10 AM
This thread was dull on Genespage and dull here, too. I grew up in Hattiesburg, spent 12 years away, and have been back for the past year and a half - I loathe USM fans. But this joke was only applicable in like 2000 when that was their campaign. They also had other great ones like 9-6-99. Picking on USM just doesn't seem right and only helps further their ridiculous argument that we have a rivalry with them. Don't acknowledge them.

Get use to picking on them. Miss State signed a three year contract for football. Our road trip will be their only sell out over the next several years. That's only if they allow more tickets to be sold through our ticket office.

Westdawg
12-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Get use to picking on them. Miss State signed a three year contract for football. Our road trip will be their only sell out over the next several years. That's only if they allow more tickets to be sold through our ticket office.

wait, our administration signed a THREE YEAR contract with them and THEY get the two home games out of the deal ?!?!?!?! WHAT. THE. HECK ?!?!?!

HossDawg97
12-28-2017, 10:19 AM
wait, our administration signed a THREE YEAR contract with them and THEY get the two home games out of the deal ?!?!?!?! WHAT. THE. HECK ?!?!?!

No, we didn't.

Drugdog
12-28-2017, 10:20 AM

Relax Francis.

12-28-2017, 10:56 AM
I feel sorry for them more than anything.

Like I said in the other thread, they were on the cusp of being a contender in the early 80s. If Bobby Collins had signed Marcus Dupree, look out. They still did OK with Carmody and Hallman, and had the Metro Conference gotten off the ground, they could have been a major player. I liken them to Florida State, very similar schools, but FSU got the good fortune of being in FL during a population boom, and they got in the ACC.

You could play what-if all day long. If the Metro had started, the SEC would have expanded differently (likely ACC teams) and the ACC would have dissolved. Ultimately though, 3 major teams in the state of Mississippi was never going to work, so something had to give.

But now, I hate to laugh at their misfortune, but as far as MSU, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

ababyatemydingo
12-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Learn history before posting. Dupree was on the USM campus, and ready to play for USM. He got bad advice from an uninformed handler (Ken Fairley), because the NCAA transfer rule wouldn't allow him to play that year without sitting a year first. He didn't want to sit a year. So he opted for the USFL draft, and was drafted by the NO Breakers

12-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Learn history before posting. Dupree was on the USM campus, and ready to play for USM. He got bad advice from an uninformed handler (Ken Fairley), because the NCAA transfer rule wouldn't allow him to play that year without sitting a year first. He didn't want to sit a year. So he opted for the USFL draft, and was drafted by the NO Breakers

Back at you, sport. Collins left for SMU after the 1981 season, Dupree signed with Oklahoma on NSD 1982. Had Collins stuck around, good chance Dupree was suiting up for the black and gold for the 1982 season.

ababyatemydingo
12-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Back at you, sport. Collins left for SMU after the 1981 season, Dupree signed with Oklahoma on NSD 1982. Had Collins stuck around, good chance Dupree was suiting up for the black and gold for the 1982 season.

I'll say again, "sport", do your research before you post. Did you not even watch his 30 for 30? What a dubmass.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/01/sports/marcus-dupree-quits-college-future-unclear-dupree-is-leaving.html

Marcus Dupree Quits College; Future Unclear ; Dupree Is Leaving
Published: February 1, 1984

Marcus Dupree, the star running back who transferred from Oklahoma to the University of Southern Mississippi in October, has withdrawn from school, a move that seemed to raise the possibility of his trying to turn professional.

Dupree, unhappy at Oklahoma despite the several rushing records he set there as a freshman in 1982, encountered further disappointment recently when the National Collegiate Athletic Association ruled that, since he had transferred in the middle of the season, he must sit out a full season and would not be eligible for football until 1985.

''Marcus has had difficulty coping with the fact he cannot play college football until 1985 and has talked of the possibility of playing professional football,'' Jim Carmody, Southern Mississippi's head coach, said yesterday. ''He is not sure of his plans at this time, but it is obvious he will not be playing football at U.S.M.''

Was Extensively Recruited

Dupree, whose sensational high school career in Philadelphia, Miss., made him an extensively recruited player, could not be located for comment.

But in Hattiesburg, Miss., a friend of his, Kenneth Fairley, said that he spoke with Dupree yesterday and was ''surprised'' to learn of Carmody's remarks about Dupree's considering a pro career now.

''He has not discussed professional ball,'' Fairley said. ''He is dropping out for financial, personal reasons. He wants to get a job for this semester and try to work through these personal problems.''

Fairley added, however, that Dupree was ''considering many possibilities, including looking into the N.C.A.A. ruling from a possible legal standpoint.'' U.S.F.L. Signed Underclassman

If Dupree were to attempt to play professionally, he would appear to have a better chance to do so in the United States Football League, in which Dupree's rights are held by the Generals. Last year, just before its first season, the U.S.F.L. broke the longstanding practice followed by the established National Football League in allowing the Generals to sign Herschel Walker, a junior at Georgia who had a year of college eligibility left.

The N.F.L.'s policy is that no player may be drafted until his class is set to graduate. And, while the U.S.F.L. was adopting what amounted to a wait-and-see stance on Dupree yesterday, an N.F.L. spokesman said that his league would not change its policy. Meanwhile, Jim Valek, the Generals' general manager, said from their training headquarters in Orlando, Fla., that the team had not ''been in touch with Dupree or any representative of his'' and had ''no interest in him.''

The Generals retained the negotiating rights to Dupree as one of the terms of the off-season purchase of the team by Donald Trump from J. Walter Duncan and Chuck Fairbanks. New Club Gained the Rights

The sale occurred during a period in which the league was reassigning territorial rights for its clubs with regard to various colleges. The Generals had had the rights to players from Oklahoma, but when the league placed an expansion club in Tulsa those rights went to the new club, the Oklahoma Outlaws.

However, Trump, with the league's approval, retained the rights to Dupree and Greg Roberts, a former offensive lineman at Oklahoma who was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the N.F.L. last season.

Commissioner Chet Simmons of the U.S.F.L. was on a tour of nonleague cities when he was asked in St. Louis yesterday about the latest development regarding Dupree. 'We Would Have Lost'

Simmons said that Walker had been signed ''because we knew if he ever challenged the law'' - meaning pro football's position on eligibility - ''we would have lost.'' Then, recalling the uproar that the Walker signing had created among coaches at major colleges, Simmons added:

''Our problem with that case was more with the coaches than anyone. We went through a lot of turmoil to prove the situation was separate from anything anybody had ever been faced with before. Dupree could fall under much the same circumstances, but we'll just have to wait and see.''

Simmons said that he hoped guidelines would soon be established for letting players turn professional when they are underclassmen.

''We're not talking about every kid,'' Simmons said. ''But we need to have some kind of middle ground that establishes some circumstances where a kid can be allowed to go pro early. There has to be some sort of review set up.''

12-28-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't think you realize that you are arguing with air. What's your point? I'm talking about Marcus Dupree as a freshman at USM in 1982, and the future from that point on. Why are you talking about what actually happened with Oklahoma and his transfer? The guy never played at USM. It's not relevant, at all. Are you just dumb?

ababyatemydingo
12-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah, you never said anything about '82. Go back and re-read your post.

12-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Yeah, you never said anything about '82. Go back and re-read your post.
Oh, you mean like this:

If Bobby Collins had signed Marcus Dupree, look out.
When do you think I was talking about? Dupree's NSD was 1982.

And a second time, after your first reply about nothing:

Collins left for SMU after the 1981 season, Dupree signed with Oklahoma on NSD 1982. Had Collins stuck around, good chance Dupree was suiting up for the black and gold for the 1982 season.
Look, it was a good try. If you want to be a smartass and go after someone just to be a dick, pick another poster. You're done.

Lord McBuckethead
12-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Shit guys. Take some midol.

SouthMSDog
12-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Relax Francis.

Ha, I knew that was going to be taken like I wrote it with a tone. I wasn't upset at all.

Cooterpoot
12-28-2017, 02:21 PM
USM sucks. The end.

was21
12-28-2017, 02:21 PM
@5049: please explain your statement that USM and Florida State are "very similar schools"....better yet, before posting such nonsense, pleas check the curricula offered by both schools, like FSU's law school, engineering school, medical school etc. Should I continue? thx

Drugdog
12-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Ha, I knew that was going to be taken like I wrote it with a tone. I wasn't upset at all.

All good brother!!