PDA

View Full Version : That lame Journey song

Goldendawg
12-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Do we still sing that lame song by Dan's favorite band, "Journey", since Dan is gone? I hated how we sang that at the end of the 3rd quarter whether we were leading of getting beat. I'm more of a Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Van Halen (DLR only of course), man myself. Anybody know what kind of music Coach Moorhead likes and can we please start a new tradition with a more aggressive song?

BulldogDX55
12-27-2017, 07:27 PM
It?s not Dans thing anymore. It?s ours.

Fans love it. Students love it. Visiting fans are in awe. They talk about it on the tv broadcasts.

We?re keeping it. Quit being petty.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 07:40 PM
It's fantastic.

I brought an person to their first SEC game this year & they were in awe of it.

I agree there is a corniness to it, but when it's really impressive with a full stadium.

Rocky Top was corny at one point as well. Not comparing the two, but corny songs sung by 60+K is pretty awesome

DogsofAnarchy
12-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Do we still sing that lame song by Dan's favorite band, "Journey", since Dan is gone? I hated how we sang that at the end of the 3rd quarter whether we were leading of getting beat. I'm more of a Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Van Halen (DLR only of course), man myself. Anybody know what kind of music Coach Moorhead likes and can we please start a new tradition with a more aggressive song?

Absolutely keeping it !!! My Bama friends were in absolute amazement by that!! There is really nothing like it in college football!!

Harrydawg
12-27-2017, 08:22 PM
It’s one of the best things we do.....

sleepy dawg
12-27-2017, 08:25 PM
I say keep it too, but I really do wish they wouldn't play it every game. It's more fun when it means something. It just seems silly when we're up 40 on Charleston Southern.

Ari Gold
12-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Keep it . Get rid of it. Whatever. Bottom line is it has NOTHING to do with Mullen. It morphed into something even bigger than that egomaniac ****.

was21
12-27-2017, 08:44 PM
It's great....headed toward being a tradition and a good one

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 08:50 PM

Stranglehold at the start of every 4th quarter? Sign me up

Political Hack
12-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Keep it . Get rid of it. Whatever. Bottom line is it has NOTHING to do with Mullen. It morphed into something even bigger than that egomaniac ****.

Yep. It’s ours to do with as we please.

It’s akin to Sweet Caroline at Fenway or Cotton Eye Joe at Camden. You don’t mess with that.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Stranglehold at the start of every 4th quarter? Sign me up

I love stranglehold as well, but it wouldn't work.

For 60+K people to sing along with something it has to be simple

Commercecomet24
12-27-2017, 10:05 PM
It?s one of the coolest things we have ever done. It?s ours it ain?t danny boys. That night at the bama game gave me chills.

TXDawg
12-27-2017, 10:06 PM
KEEP IT!!!!

GreaterCowbell
12-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Leave it alone. The women love it.

https://goo.gl/images/6WdB7y

Dawgface
12-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Nothing lame about it. Just have a few lame fans is all.......

Lord McBuckethead
12-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Funny thing is, Dan gets the timeline of that song adoption wrong in his "origin" story anyway. He says he brought it up for some random game in 2014, but we were already doing it in 2013 I know for a fact we played it at the home LSU game in 2013.

chef dixon
12-27-2017, 10:24 PM
It would be nice to play a song that actually got people and our players fired up going into the 4th quarter of a big game, but that?s just my one opinion

12-27-2017, 10:24 PM
This thread isn't going the way you wanted, is it?

Dawgtini
12-27-2017, 10:33 PM
It’s one of the best things we do.....
^^^This

Wade Garrett
12-27-2017, 10:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4HffbAUTk

We could change to this version

Liverpooldawg
12-27-2017, 10:53 PM

YES. Y'all need to let Dan go.

Coach34
12-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Its awful. I'm with HairGel Jake- it needs to go asap

Goldendawg
12-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Well, different taste in music doesn't make me less of a dawg. I will admit to singing it myself when we were beating LSU this season. I really did think Dan started this. Looks like this tradition is here to stay, 60K State fans can't be wrong, just never thought Journey rocked. Hail State and may we be ahead and singing loud at the end of the 3rd quarter at every home game in 2018!

Liverpooldawg
12-27-2017, 11:17 PM
Well, different taste in music doesn't make me less of a dawg. I will admit to singing it myself when we were beating LSU this season. I really did think Dan started this. Looks like this tradition is here to stay, 60K State fans can't be wrong, just never thought Journey rocked. Hail State and may we be ahead and singing loud at the end of the 3rd quarter at every home game in 2018!

Dan started it for sure. He also started us in being ranked #1. I suppose you want to do away with that forever too? Let him go. That one is here to stay.

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 11:53 PM
I love stranglehold as well, but it wouldn't work.

For 60+K people to sing along with something it has to be simple

Who cares about the words its about that sick riff bro

preachermatt83
12-28-2017, 12:03 AM
It's fantastic.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2017, 12:12 AM
Journey is badass and so is that song.

Todd4State
12-28-2017, 12:19 AM
Dan started it for sure. He also started us in being ranked #1. I suppose you want to do away with that forever too? Let him go. That one is here to stay.

It's funny how we never talk about the baseball team being ranked number one. Like ever. Actually, that whole number one thing was typical Dan Mullen brag about doing something and then not finishing the job while choking against your rivals and then blaming the DC for everything.

ScoobaDawg
12-28-2017, 12:23 AM

How can it be about anything but Mullen since it was created for him (one of his favorite bands) and has only been done while he was coach. Can it grow into something more? Possible. But I won't complain either way if it stays or goes.

Liverpooldawg
12-28-2017, 12:28 AM
It's funny how we never talk about the baseball team being ranked number one. Like ever. Actually, that whole number one thing was typical Dan Mullen brag about doing something and then not finishing the job while choking against your rivals and then blaming the DC for everything.

Baseball has been ranked #1 about as much as football has. For base ball they under achieved when they were there. Football overachieved. That being said that's based on MSU maroon glasses. Truth is they both over achieved to get there. Blast away, the truth sucks.

ScoobaDawg
12-28-2017, 12:29 AM
I say keep it too, but I really do wish they wouldn't play it every game. It's more fun when it means something. It just seems silly when we're up 40 on Charleston Southern.

I might agree with that. I remember Auburn used to or maybe still does play livin on a prayer at the start of the 4th quarter at some games.

Liverpooldawg
12-28-2017, 12:30 AM
How can it be about anything but Mullen since it was created for him (one of his favorite bands) and has only been done while he was coach. Can it grow into something more? Possible. But I won't complain either way if it stays or goes.

It already has grown into something more. Only the divorcees that are still bitter can't see that.

ckDOG
12-28-2017, 12:31 AM
No song will make everybody happy. I?m just glad the fans seem to get into it and that it?s not some awful bruh country song.

Todd4State
12-28-2017, 12:39 AM
The thing about it is- as others have said it's like singing Sweet Caroline at Fenway. For those that don't like it- for a song to be used like that as a tradition it has to be something that is fairly neutral and universal. It has to be something "pop" for the majority of the crowd to get into it. People that really like rap and country are probably not going to get into something that's metal. It is what it is. And before someone mentions Metallica and Virginia Tech- even that is one of Metallica's more popular if not their most popular song. And I don't believe their fans sing along with it.

And like most traditions, Don't Stop Believing just kind of happened. Unlike most of the crap that Stricklin tried to force on us that never caught on. PEOPLE have to define traditions- not institutions.

And even if people tried to end it, I think it would come back. Like the Dawg Pound Rock did even after Croom tried to stop it- eventually the team still did it anyway even if it was in the lockerroom and it continued under Dan.

In year's past, I've seen posters on sixpack pre-EliteDawgs complain about the football and not having enough traditions and now people want to do away with one of the few that we have? This is the kind of thing that sets us apart from other football program. If you don't like it- just don't sing it. It's not that big of a deal.

Todd4State
12-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Baseball has been ranked #1 about as much as football has. For base ball they under achieved when they were there. Football overachieved. That being said that's based on MSU maroon glasses. Truth is they both over achieved to get there. Blast away, the truth sucks.

That's just wrong. MSU baseball was number one in 1985, 1989, 1993, and 2006 off the top of my head. If not a few more times than that.

The DIFFERENCE is (to stay on point) Dan tried to glorify not finishing a job and some of our fans totally bought in to it. Ron Polk NEVER did that. What matters is how you finish at the end of the year. Not in October.

Even worse when our fans bring that up as a high point- guess what Alabama and Ole Miss fans are thinking? "Yeah and we beat your ass".

Edit to say this- give me 1998 and 1999 over 2014 any and every day as a fan. Beating your rivals matters.

Goldendawg
12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
I enjoyed the ride to #1 and the 5 weeks there as much as anyone. I didn't enjoy losing 3 of the last 4 that same year ( includes the bowl loss). Correct me if I am wrong. It's how you finish and we finished badly that year.

drummerdawg
12-28-2017, 01:01 AM
Play Stranglehold in games we're up starting the 4th, and Don't Stop Believing when we're down.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-28-2017, 02:05 AM
I don't care who started it....the song needs to be put on a shelve and left alone.

Drugdog
12-28-2017, 02:42 AM
I don't care who started it....the song needs to be put on a shelve and left alone.

Yeah. Something cool we do that 60,000 plus love as well as National media. Great idea.

Bully13
12-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Keep the Journey sing along but start the 4th with stranglehold.

Dawgology
12-28-2017, 08:16 AM

You're a dumb****. This is why we can't have nice things.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Anybody know what kind of music Coach Moorhead likes..

Who the hell would know that?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Rocky Top was corny at one point as well..

At one point? It is still corny as hell.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-28-2017, 09:26 AM
He also started us in being ranked #1. I suppose you want to do away with that forever too? Let him go. That one is here to stay.

Great point!

BulldogDX55
12-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Who the hell would know that?

At one point? It is still corny as hell.

Great point!

Pro tip: Use the "+ button next to the reply with quote button and you can replay to multiple posts at once.

MedDawg
12-28-2017, 09:49 AM

...and many schools sing Sweet Caroline. Like others have said, it's our thing now, not Mullen's, and we sing it together as well as any crowd sings any song together. You're not going to get the whole crowd to sing AC/DC (although I probably would) or be able to keep up with any faster song.

Drewbowski
12-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Please no more lame singalongs with cell phone lights and no more calling Mississippi TSUN.

Jack Lambert
12-28-2017, 10:52 AM
...and many schools sing Sweet Caroline. Like others have said, it's our thing now, not Mullen's, and we sing it together as well as any crowd sings any song together. You're not going to get the whole crowd to sing AC/DC (although I probably would) or be able to keep up with any faster song.

I think they should play "It's the end of the world as we know it" by REM. That would be hilarious. More then on way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyNlISf_No

Tbonewannabe
12-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Mullen helped create some great things in Starkvegas. He just wanted the song played, everyone singing and turning on their flashlight was organic. It is our tradition, not Dan's. It is awesome live even if you hate the song. There might be a some people that dislike it but there is around 50k that have a collective moment with other MSU fans basking in the awesomeness of Journey. So give me Bad to the Bone when the team comes out, Thunderstruck at kickoff, and Don't Stop Believing at the beginning of the 4th Quarter. Other than those, play whatever else you want.

4suredog
12-28-2017, 11:46 AM
It was started by DJ Bizzle from cowbells.... He was actually the first DJ we had at the games. Prior to that, it was literally a student with an ipod shuffling music. It was at the beginning of Dans tenure but had nothing to do with him. We were down 10 points or so late in an SEC game, then we either fumbled or threw a pick 6 and the other team scored. As the fans started filing out the stadium in mass, Bizzle played "don't stop believing". Over the next several days it was actually kind of a joke because it was funny. Then the next week in a similar situation, we were the ones to get the score and he played it again. This time with a much more enthusiastic crowd. It was then that Dan and Scooter thought it should be moved to the 4th quarter deal. But, in fact was organic and had nothing to do with them!

sleepy dawg
12-28-2017, 11:54 AM
It was started by DJ Bizzle from cowbells.... He was actually the first DJ we had at the games. Prior to that, it was literally a student with an ipod shuffling music. It was at the beginning of Dans tenure but had nothing to do with him. We were down 10 points or so late in an SEC game, then we either fumbled or threw a pick 6 and the other team scored. As the fans started filing out the stadium in mass, Bizzle played "don't stop believing". Over the next several days it was actually kind of a joke because it was funny. Then the next week in a similar situation, we were the ones to get the score and he played it again. This time with a much more enthusiastic crowd. It was then that Dan and Scooter thought it should be moved to the 4th quarter deal. But, in fact was organic and had nothing to do with them!

I don't recall hearing it before 2014. I thought the Auburn or A&M game was the first time we did it.

Also, we used to ring our cowbells with the beat instead of the cellphone lights. It was much better with the bells to me.. much more intimidating to hear 60k people ringing their cowbells in unison to anything to start the 4th.

ckDOG
12-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Internet bad asses: our fans are lame

[fans find unique way of cheering their team into the 4th quarter garnering praise from players and media]

That about sum it up?

BrunswickDawg
12-28-2017, 12:04 PM

[fans find unique way of cheering their team into the 4th quarter garnering praise from players and media]

That about sum it up?

Spot on

HereComesTheSpiral
12-28-2017, 01:15 PM
The students sing it to fast, get rid of it.

Tbonewannabe
12-28-2017, 01:59 PM
The students sing it to fast, get rid of it.

That is pretty much the answer to anything sung in the stadium. Talk about a bland atmosphere, no songs, chants, or cheers because the students sing them too fast.

Bully13
12-28-2017, 02:06 PM
I might agree with that. I remember Auburn used to or maybe still does play livin on a prayer at the start of the 4th quarter at some games.

Living with no pair is one of the gheyest songs in history.

LC Dawg
12-28-2017, 02:38 PM
If we were to try to sing any AC/DC song to start the 4th quarter no one would have any voice left to cheer with. Bon Scott and Brian Johnson must have had bionic vocal chords.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Play Stranglehold in games we're up starting the 4th, and Don't Stop Believing when we're down.

Got my vote

Drewbowski
12-28-2017, 03:28 PM

I don't believe this hogwash for a second. We started playing the Journey tune between the 3rd and 4th quarters in 2014 because it is ******* favorite song.

MaroonFlounder
12-28-2017, 04:17 PM
There are some people in this thread who are wanting to kill the Journey song, who don’t even go to any games, and have not experienced it live and in person. In fact, several of the folks that post in this forum never attend games. Those idiots need to STFU about what is part of the game day atmosphere.

There. I said it. And you can be mad online. I’ll send you a cape and then you can be SuperMad.

Game 1 of the Moorhead era will likely not be close to a sellout. And these people I’m talking about are part the problem, not the solution.

If you don’t go to games, you have no right to an opinion about what songs are played during the Game, or anything else about game day.

I am more of a hard rock guy, but “Don’t Stop Believeing” with the lights and cowbells is bad ass.

Goldendawg
12-28-2017, 04:37 PM
I started the thread and we have been season ticket holders since the early '70's. We go to all home games. I stated my opinion and was interested in the opinions of other State fans. I was by no means trying to change a recent tradition that the majority seems to love, (not that I could.). Didn't know that this was such a hot button issue to some and certainly didn't expect to be called names in print by a couple of posters. Heck, I love and support State with all my maroon heart. Some in my family love this activity at the end of the 3rd, just wasn't one of my fav's. I would say from the % of posts that it is loved by most and here to stay. Hail State!

MaroonFlounder
12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
I started the thread and we have been season ticket holders since the early '70's. We go to all home games. I stated my opinion and was interested in the opinions of other State fans. I was by no means trying to change a recent tradition that the majority seems to love, (not that I could.). Didn't know that this was such a hot button issue to some and certainly didn't expect to be called names in print by a couple of posters. Heck, I love and support State with all my maroon heart. Some in my family love this activity at the end of the 3rd, just wasn't one of my fav's. I would say from the % of posts that it is loved by most and here to stay. Hail State!

The name-calling could be from shark trolls. A om guy that I know was bragging to me the other day that he was a registered user on this forum. I tried to figure out his user name, but he ain’t telling.

LC Dawg
12-28-2017, 05:24 PM
The name-calling could be from shark trolls. A om guy that I know was bragging to me the other day that he was a registered user on this forum. I tried to figure out his user name, but he ain’t telling.

Did you ask him if he took time out of his life to register on a Mississippi State message board to learn of our obsession with them?

Goldendawg
12-28-2017, 05:52 PM
delete. Hail State!