PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready For the Media To be Completely Ignorant About our 2018 Roster

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Just listened to the most ignorant, useless, uninformed Barrett Sallee (yeah, I know. My mistake) segment on BSR where he was answering the question about who would have more wins in 2018 between MSU & OM.

- First off, he made the questions appear difficult. Waffled back & forth for a minute acting like 30 seconds of research couldn't answer an obvious question
- He chose MSU, but said that he felt MSU could finish above .500. Yes, with 18 starters returning & more players that have started from a team that won 8 games & should've won 9 games if a number of unfortunate variables hadn't taken place, he said he though MSU could finish above .500.

So get ready. With great players all over the field, everyone returning that touched the football this year at a decent rate, & a revamped, more talented WR core, we can be over .500. Do these people realize we have averaged about 8 wins a year over the past 5 years?

That may be some of the most pathetic analysis I've heard, but get ready to not see MSU in the "Too Early Top 25" polls that will come out in a few weeks. We will be nowhere to be found.

Why?

1. Because the media won't have done their homework.
2. If they do have a clue about our roster returning, they'll say there are too many questions due to new coach & Fitz's injury
3. They'll make Don sounds like the greatest coach every that got average players to play better than their talent.

Just get ready. We are top 12 team next year, but we will be nowhere to be found in the "To Early Top 25s". I think we'll sneak into the preseason top 25s at around 22-23 once the media becomes more educated in the off season.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Why anyone listens to Bare Sally is beyond me...

somebodyshotmypaw
12-27-2017, 01:04 PM
If you are a "reporter" and you look only at our 2018 roster, and don't consider the future past 2018, here are our problems.

1. Wideout - No returning production, and we lose Donald Gray. More digging sees we signed the number one JUCO wideout in the nation, and two 4-star high school wideouts.
2. Quarterback - What is the health of Fitz?
3. Corner - we lose Tolando Cleveland and Lashard Durr.

Bully13
12-27-2017, 01:09 PM
"Lay Down Sally, no need to leave so soon, I've been trying all night long just to talk to you"

msstate7
12-27-2017, 01:33 PM
From the media perspective, we lost the only reason we have been a good team, Mullen. We will have to prove ourselves again. If we win the bowl game though, I think we will be 15-20 in preseason poll bc writers check returning starters in final polls. If we lose, we will most likely not be ranked. This is why I really want this bowl game... helped our image headed into a huge recruiting year in miss

12-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Why does BSR have people like Barrett Sallee on their show?

Maroonthirteen
12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Good.... Good! State has always faired better in an underdog, under the radar role. It is a nice little advantage for us when other teams are lacking intensity because “it is just Mississippi State.”

parabrave
12-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Why anyone listens to Bare Sally is beyond me...

Unfortunately a lot of media type outside Starkville think he is the guru of the south.

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Just listened to the most ignorant, useless, uninformed Barrett Sallee (yeah, I know. My mistake) segment on BSR where he was answering the question about who would have more wins in 2018 between MSU & OM.

- First off, he made the questions appear difficult. Waffled back & forth for a minute acting like 30 seconds of research couldn't answer an obvious question
- He chose MSU, but said that he felt MSU could finish above .500. Yes, with 18 starters returning & more players that have started from a team that won 8 games & should've won 9 games if a number of unfortunate variables hadn't taken place, he said he though MSU could finish above .500.

So get ready. With great players all over the field, everyone returning that touched the football this year at a decent rate, & a revamped, more talented WR core, we can be over .500. Do these people realize we have averaged about 8 wins a year over the past 5 years?

That may be some of the most pathetic analysis I've heard, but get ready to not see MSU in the "Too Early Top 25" polls that will come out in a few weeks. We will be nowhere to be found.

Why?

1. Because the media won't have done their homework.
2. If they do have a clue about our roster returning, they'll say there are too many questions due to new coach & Fitz's injury
3. They'll make Don sounds like the greatest coach every that got average players to play better than their talent.

Just get ready. We are top 12 team next year, but we will be nowhere to be found in the "To Early Top 25s". I think we'll sneak into the preseason top 25s at around 22-23 once the media becomes more educated in the off season.

Good. We are always better as the underdog

BulldogDX55
12-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Why does BSR have people like Barrett Sallee on their show?

The BSR guys actually answered that once- it's because the guy has a huge social media following and promotes all of his appearances, so whenever they have him on, it is among their most downloaded episodes.

Bothrops
12-27-2017, 02:41 PM
We would have to win a National Championship to be considered a mid-level SEC program.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Good.... Good! State has always faired better in an underdog, under the radar role. It is a nice little advantage for us when other teams are lacking intensity because “it is just Mississippi State.”

Again, I get what you are saying, but you can't grow your program with this mentality

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 03:16 PM
We would have to win a National Championship to be considered a mid-level SEC program.

Why?

I consider the mid-level SEC teams to be Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, MSU, & Ole Miss. Other than Tennessee, none of those teams have won a natty in over 40 years.

I don't see how winning a natty 40+ years ago is relevant in today's SEC

I consider Arkansas, Mizzou, Kentucky, & Mizzou to be lower level SEC teams with Arkansas & Mizzou having the capacity to move into the mid-level occasionally.

dawgday166
12-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Not too concerned with it. Lower expectations usually bode well for us. Besides, I'd rather be lower ranked than FL going into that game. Mullen doesn't do well as the fav.

One thing against us going into that game is Grantham has talent to work with. All but 1 starter back, and only loses 4 players off the 2-deep on D. Grantham can coach and get the D playing well in pretty short order.

One thing in our favor ... Mullen's offense has a learning curve. However, they only lose 2 starters and 3 off the 2-deep on offense.

TrapGame
12-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Not too concerned with it. Lower expectations usually bode well for us. Besides, I'd rather be lower ranked than FL going into that game. Mullen doesn't do well as the fav.

One thing against us going into that game is Grantham has talent to work with. All but 1 starter back, and only loses 4 players off the 2-deep on D. Grantham can coach and get the D playing well in pretty short order.

One thing in our favor ... Mullen's offense has a learning curve. However, they only lose 2 starters and 3 off the 2-deep on offense.

To my knowledge UF has never run a 3-4. They may have the learning curve UGA had in TG's first year there. They sucked on D. All outta position. The next year was much better.

And yeah, I'm all for lower expectations. We get top 15 and Moorhead coaches a cluster all season it will look bad. I want us out of the top 25 and Joe coaches like a boss all season with a couple of very impressive wins. Finish the year on a high note.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 04:10 PM
To my knowledge UF has never run a 3-4. They may have the learning curve UGA had in TG's first year there. They sucked on D. All outta position. The next year was much better.

And yeah, I'm all for lower expectations. We get top 15 and Moorhead coaches a cluster all season it will look bad. I want us out of the top 25 and Joe coaches like a boss all season with a couple of very impressive wins. Finish the year on a high note.

Why can’t we just start in the top 15 and finish there?

lastmajordog
12-27-2017, 04:12 PM
2014 proved....just win and rankings take care of themselves.....it’s that simple.....knock off LSU and some more.....of course it will help not to FOLD against bama and om.....

12-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Again, I get what you are saying, but you can't grow your program with this mentality

Auburn has built their program this way

DownwardDawg
12-27-2017, 04:48 PM
SEC network guys say we'll be pre-season top 10-15. So yeah, we'll probably finish above .500.

TrapGame
12-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Why can’t we just start in the top 15 and finish there?

And that's happened when? Or starting and finishing in the top 20?

It always turns into a shit show of ineptitude. Hey, I'd love to start top 15 and go up but we've never done that. I hope Joe makes us a perennial top 10 program before he leaves.

12-27-2017, 05:01 PM
The BSR guys actually answered that once- it's because the guy has a huge social media following and promotes all of his appearances, so whenever they have him on, it is among their most downloaded episodes.

They are all stupid Auburn fans. Who is behind BSR?

dawgs
12-27-2017, 05:04 PM

It always turns into a shit show of ineptitude. Hey, I'd love to start top 15 and go up but we've never done that. I hope Joe makes us a perennial top 10 program before he leaves.

Different rosters, coaches, seasons, etc. means comparing previous underwhelming seasons when preseason ranked to 2018 is pointless and a false equivalency.

Maroonthirteen
12-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Oh, if you are saying we need better national press to pump up the program to recruit better.... I agree with that.

I get more frustrated with local media that always portrays our glass as half empty in seemingly every single situation. Memphis sports media is the worse when it comes to reporting on State.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Oh, if you are saying we need better national press to pump up the program to recruit better.... I agree with that.

I get more frustrated with local media that always portrays our glass as half empty in seemingly every single situation. Memphis sports media is the worse when it comes to reporting on State.

Agree. It’s an inferiority complex that holds Mississippi in general back

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 05:24 PM

Probably a small sample size due to us starting highly ranked rarely happens.

My guess is if we continue to get there, we?ll eventually win

Dawg61
12-27-2017, 05:26 PM
From the media perspective, we lost the only reason we have been a good team, Mullen.

This could not be more accurate. We also aren't supposed to be pissed at Don Muffin for how he left and instead only be grateful.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 05:42 PM
This could not be more accurate. We also aren't supposed to be pissed at Don Muffin for how he left and instead only be grateful.

This is one thing I’m really excited about.

If MSU wins with another coach, it becomes more difficult for the media and the perception of the program to be that of a bottom feeder. If Moorhead maintains success at MSU, then people that will have to take notice that MSU may actually be a really good job where coaches can win for a long time.

TrapGame
12-27-2017, 08:06 PM
This is one thing I’m really excited about.

If MSU wins with another coach, it becomes more difficult for the media and the perception of the program to be that of a bottom feeder. If Moorhead maintains success at MSU, then people that will have to take notice that MSU may actually be a really good job where coaches can win for a long time.

Now you're talking! If Moorhead comes in and has a really good run we won't have to worry about perception anymore.

dickiedawg
12-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Sallee?s show is the number one show on the entire VSporto network.
I don?t like him any more than I like Paul Finebaum or Stephen A Smith, but VSporto is a business and you?re going to promote the guys who get eyeballs (or in this case, ear-balls).

WPS
12-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Why?

I consider the mid-level SEC teams to be Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, MSU, & Ole Miss. Other than Tennessee, none of those teams have won a natty in over 40 years.

I don't see how winning a natty 40+ years ago is relevant in today's SEC

I consider Arkansas, Mizzou, Kentucky, & Mizzou to be lower level SEC teams with Arkansas & Mizzou having the capacity to move into the mid-level occasionally.

Ole Miss is not a better program than Arkansas. Arkansas has made 3 trips to Atlanta (Ole Miss zero), has had three 10+ win regular seasons since joining the SEC (Ole Miss zero) and leads the head to head series. Don?t think South Carolina is either, Arkansas has a much better history and leads the series. Arkansas also leads the series against A&M by 10+ games, but I think they are comparable programs.

12-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Ole Miss is not a better program than Arkansas. Arkansas has made 3 trips to Atlanta (Ole Miss zero), has had three 10+ win regular seasons since joining the SEC (Ole Miss zero) and leads the head to head series. Don?t think South Carolina is either, Arkansas has a much better history and leads the series. Arkansas also leads the series against A&M by 10+ games, but I think they are comparable programs.

Neither is MSU (or South Carolina as you say). That is not to kiss your ass, but it is just reality. At most, they are all equal in terms of potential in the modern day landscape.

The national media doesn't respect MSU because we haven't earned it. We are going to have to bring home a legit trophy (not a mid-level bowl trophy) to earn that respect. They are never going to look deeper than the surface (because they are idiots), so until we win consistently at a high level, across multiple coaches (or one long term sustained coach), we aren't getting picked. When they look at the SEC West, they see Alabama, Auburn and LSU who are the big dogs, and a big money program in Texas A&M. After that, it's you, us and Ole Miss. We all have to continuously prove our mettle. Until we do it, no one will believe we can because the tangible assets (like money, a huge fanbase, and tons of talent) aren't there.

maroonmania
12-29-2017, 01:25 PM
A lot of the reason that the media play down MSU is not simply ignorance, its willful for financial reasons. MSU, unfortunately, does not have one of the bigger subscription bases for most of these money grubbers so it really doesn't help them for us to be good. They really don't want us to be good, they would rather our wins go to a school that would better better line their pockets.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2017, 01:46 PM

WPS, I respect your post but disagree with most every bit of it.

Just as population shifts happen, political shifts happen, etc.... so do the caliber of college football programs.

You're correct that Arkansas has made 3 trips to ATL & OM zero, has had 3 10+ win regular seasons since joining the SEC, lead the head to head series vs OM, etc... but none of that has to do with what you are today & all of that was before the SEC & Big 12 expanded & cut heavily into your recruiting base.

I realize you are going to disagree heavily with me & I would as well if MSU was on the other end of this, but I think going forward, Arkansas will be much more like Mizzou & Kentucky than MSU or OM if simply because both MSU & OM have better local recruiting grounds within a 4 hour radius.

I love Fayetteville & your school. I have been there many times & have nothing but respect for it, but I don't see the current recruiting resources to be a consistently better program than MSU or OM.

As for South Carolina, yes I realize you have a better tradition, but that is irrelevant. From a resource & recruiting standpoint, they have more advantages than MSU, OM, or Arkansas.

WPS
12-29-2017, 08:37 PM
WPS, I respect your post but disagree with most every bit of it.

Just as population shifts happen, political shifts happen, etc.... so do the caliber of college football programs.

You're correct that Arkansas has made 3 trips to ATL & OM zero, has had 3 10+ win regular seasons since joining the SEC, lead the head to head series vs OM, etc... but none of that has to do with what you are today & all of that was before the SEC & Big 12 expanded & cut heavily into your recruiting base.

I realize you are going to disagree heavily with me & I would as well if MSU was on the other end of this, but I think going forward, Arkansas will be much more like Mizzou & Kentucky than MSU or OM if simply because both MSU & OM have better local recruiting grounds within a 4 hour radius.

I love Fayetteville & your school. I have been there many times & have nothing but respect for it, but I don't see the current recruiting resources to be a consistently better program than MSU or OM.

As for South Carolina, yes I realize you have a better tradition, but that is irrelevant. From a resource & recruiting standpoint, they have more advantages than MSU, OM, or Arkansas.

Arkansas, Ole Miss (outside of a few years with Freeze and his hookers) and MSU usually recruit around the same, which is hovering around 20-30 most years. I think I would put Missouri closer to those three than I would Kentucky, who I see not too far off from Vanderbilt. I mean the football coach takes a back seat there lol.

It?s hard to say because we?re coming off our version of Croom, who was statistically the worst Arkansas coach since the 1940?s. The coach before him finished top 5 in the country with a roster of mostly players from Arkansas and some from Texas. Who knows if Morris will be successful but he has the Texas recruiting ties we really need, and if Oklahoma State can do it then we should be able to.

12-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Arkansas, Ole Miss (outside of a few years with Freeze and his hookers) and MSU usually recruit around the same, which is hovering around 20-30 most years. I think I would put Missouri closer to those three than I would Kentucky, who I see not too far off from Vanderbilt. I mean the football coach takes a back seat there lol.

It?s hard to say because we?re coming off our version of Croom, who was statistically the worst Arkansas coach since the 1940?s. The coach before him finished top 5 in the country with a roster of mostly players from Arkansas and some from Texas. Who knows if Morris will be successful but he has the Texas recruiting ties we really need, and if Oklahoma State can do it then we should be able to.

Let’s not get carried away. Bobby Petrino has a way of raising fans’ expectations of their program. He’s just really that good of a coach. If he ever gets a chance at school that recruits itself, he will win multiple titles.

WPS
12-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Let?s not get carried away. Bobby Petrino has a way of raising fans? expectations of their program. He?s just really that good of a coach. If he ever gets a chance at school that recruits itself, he will win multiple titles.

He?s a good coach but he?s like 1-10 against ranked teams at Louisville with a heisman trophy QB

3rdGen
12-30-2017, 10:06 PM

I am with shotgun on this one. We have to sustain a ranking to grow the program and we haven?t done that.