PDA

View Full Version : What College Football Rule Would You Change?

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Our beloved sport has many problems, which one would you change?

Mine, I would allow players that don't play 35% of the snaps at their position their 3rd year on campus to transfer after their 3rd year without sitting out & without restriction. Meaning players could transfer after their JR year or after their redshirt sophomore year. I believe this would go a long way in creating more parity across the college football landscape & offer a lifeline to the players that need it most.

What would be yours?

iPat09
12-27-2017, 11:19 AM
I would somehow make Holding not be a 10 yard penalty. Sometimes it seems silly that something so small could destroy an entire drive.

civildawg
12-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Fumbling out of the endzone is a turnover

Dawg61
12-27-2017, 11:31 AM
The rule where an obvious unimpeded touchdown on a turnover can get called back to where the fumble occurred because the ref blew the whistle. Like our play vs Auburn. That was the most bullshit call ever and it really affected the game a lot.

PassInterference
12-27-2017, 11:36 AM
I would somehow make Holding not be a 10 yard penalty. Sometimes it seems silly that something so small could destroy an entire drive.

Holding is hard to consistently catch and enforce. I like that the penalty is strong enough to be a deterant. I wish refs used more judgement in not calling it away from the play.

PassInterference
12-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Having to hold on to a catch after the receiver touches the ground. In all cases te instant a person with the ball contacts the ground, the play should be dead and what happens after (even immediately after) shouldn?t matter.

Coach34
12-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Targeting.

It's football and its a tough game. Stop taking the football out of football.

iPat09
12-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Holding is hard to consistently catch and enforce. I like that the penalty is strong enough to be a deterant. I wish refs used more judgement in not calling it away from the play.

What you added makes more sense. If it in no affected the play, don't call it. As far as holding goes. I feel like it's the easiest thing to call to negate a big play. I'm even in the habit of looking at the score bug to see if the FLAG graphic pops up after one.

Lord McBuckethead
12-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Fumbling through the endzone is a touchback? That would be the first I would change. I wouldn't allow any football to be possessed by the offensive team once fumbled into the endzone. If recovered, they would have to go back to the point of the fumble. If it goes out of bounds, it goes to the point of the fumble. If the defense recovers, they get the ball.

AROB44
12-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Go to the NFL rulr on pass interference. Used to be that way in college. Go back to it. Plus...use the NFL rule on linemen downfield.

Jack Lambert
12-27-2017, 12:21 PM
I would take the Half the distant to the goal away. Hell if you get a 15 yard penalty and you are on the five you put the ball on the one inch line. Give the maximum penalty up to the one inch line.

TimberBeast
12-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Stop giving pass interference calls on bad passes, mainly on under thrown passes. I can't stand to see a receiver slow up to catch an under thrown ball, the defender runs into him and gets a pass interference call. And please don't ever go to the NFL rule for interference. That is the without a doubt the dumbest rule in all of football. It should be taken out of the NFL (not that it really matters anymore in that circus).

thf24
12-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Targeting.

Football is going to die from lack of participants if attempts to increase safety aren't continuously made going forward. I'm not sure the targeting penalty is helping, and I don't think there's any way to truly know since data collection on head injuries began only relatively recently (and since a large number likely still go unreported or unknown at the time of the injury), but we must continue experimenting in order for the game to survive. That being said, I think the targeting penalty should be changed so that it can be picked up if it's determined that the offensive player made a move that caused the helmet-to-helmet contact. I'm afraid without that condition, QB's and other "defenseless" players will start ducking in order to draw a targeting penalty (if they aren't already), which would cause the rule to have the complete opposite effect.

Other rules I'd change:

-Go to the NFL rule on advancing fumbles (offense can't advance a fumble except for the player who fumbled)

-Put fumbles out of the end zone on the 1 yard line, just like NFL pass interference in the end zone

-NFL rule on pass interference (spot of the foul), but at the same time get more strict about whether or not the ball is catchable.

Coach007
12-27-2017, 01:14 PM
I like some of these listed, but the main ones for me have to do with recruiting and staff.

I want to limit the scholarships to 70. Allow players to transfer if they are not played in 3rd year with an extra to play.

Limit coaching staffs.

If you play on a 7 on 7 team, you sit a year..... (like the sound of it... )

Todd4State
12-27-2017, 01:26 PM
You lose at least one scholarship for every NCAA infraction. That's a lot more simple and effective than that bullshit matrix.

Todd4State
12-27-2017, 01:28 PM
And do away with "conference football officials". Just have NCAA officials.

preachermatt83
12-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Targeting.

Yes!

preachermatt83
12-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Do away with redshirting. Give everyone 5 years of eligibility

Joethedawg1
12-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Make pass interference a "spot" foul as in the pros. Especially if it is a very flagrant one and obvious what the defender was trying to do.

starkvegasdawg
12-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Allow Alabama to have holding called against them.

Coach007
12-27-2017, 02:12 PM
The more you make it like the nfl, the more you end up with the nfl product.

Nobody wants that.

ckDOG
12-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Our beloved sport has many problems, which one would you change?

Mine, I would allow players that don't play 35% of the snaps at their position their 3rd year on campus to transfer after their 3rd year without sitting out & without restriction. Meaning players could transfer after their JR year or after their redshirt sophomore year. I believe this would go a long way in creating more parity across the college football landscape & offer a lifeline to the players that need it most.

What would be yours?

Good suggestion and in interest of the player. NCAA should support that right?***

I?d like to see down by contact rules instead of down by body part or ball only. NFL is much more exiting in this regard and removes the possibility of a slip or fall dictating outcomes of a play or game.

thf24
12-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Nobody wants that.

Nobody wants to see the UK QB fumble the ball five yards forward into the arms of his tight end for a touchdown. I doubt any college football fan wants to see a universal adoption of NFL rules, but it's undeniable that some of their rules make a lot more sense.

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Targeting

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Go to the NFL rulr on pass interference. Used to be that way in college. Go back to it. Plus...use the NFL rule on linemen downfield.

Hell no. Do nothing the NFL does. NFL pass interference calls can be a 60 yard gain due to it being a stupid spot of the foul call.

thf24
12-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Hell no. Do nothing the NFL does. NFL pass interference calls can be a 60 yard gain due to it being a stupid spot of the foul call.

So it's better for a defender beaten but within reach of a receiver to have the prerogative of turning a 60 yard play into a 15 yard play?

Tbonewannabe
12-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Targeting.

I wouldn't completely eliminate targeting but I would eliminate the penalty if the ball carrier dropped their head and basically caused it. It is complete crap when someone is going to put a shoulder in someone's chest and the guy dips his head.

Mutt the Hoople
12-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Until 1948, it was legal for anyone to catch a pass. You want to open things up more? Make everyone an eligible receiver.

Mutt the Hoople
12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Targeting.

I'm old school, yet I understand the safety measures they're making today. I played as a 190 pound Offensive tackle...and I was considered a fairly big lineman (and we won a State Championship). Nowadays, the High School offensive lines average 300 pounds. The players are bigger, faster, and lead with those massive weapons covering their heads known as "helmets".

Football is undergoing a safety crisis similar to what happened in 1905. Teddy Roosevelt pretty much saved football with his pressure for them to form the NCAA, and to open up the game.

sleepy dawg
12-27-2017, 03:03 PM
No more than 2 regular season games per year scheduled before noon.
Use some agreed upon mathematical formula, like ELO, to determine the playoff teams. Make that formula public for all to see so everyone knows what they need to do to get in.

I like preacher's idea of doing away with red-shirting too. Just give everyone 5 years.

Mutt the Hoople
12-27-2017, 03:05 PM
A couple more rules:

- ban facemasks and hard-shelled helmets. You have soft-shell helmets that can protect players and having no facemasks would encourage the players to tackle with their shoulders and arms, instead of their head. Better a broken nose and busted teeth, than paralysis.

- Go back to one-platoon football. This would lower the scholarship requirements at each school (relieving financial pressure on each university), plus it would emphasize aerobic conditioning instead of anaerobic conditioning, which is healthier for athletes overall. If you could only sign 12 a year, and have 45 total on scholarship, it would allow more teams to have a chance at the national championship...it might bring back the Service Academies as National Championship Contenders!

Coach007
12-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Agreed. And it also allows a ref to turn a game.

PassInterference
12-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Call block in the back against Bama. Their MO is to push guys to the ground from behind on special teams as guys covering are about half way down the field. This is far enough away from the ball that it doesn?t get called and it puts the kickoff/punt team out of their lanes which sets Bama up for big returns. They do this on almost every punt/KO play.

lastmajordog
12-27-2017, 04:14 PM
I don’t know how but I would like for football to get back to a game where it’s not just pitch and catch and defense actually is a part of the game.....

DudyDawg
12-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Targeting.

I love the targeting rule... I hate the ejection for targeting. Make it a 2 offense ejection like unsportsmanlike. And if the point of replay is ?get it right?, then refs gotta be able to pick up a flag upon review.

1 rule is change- PI... if you?re burned you may as well tackle the receiver bc it?s only 15. Needs to be a spot foul like NFL

preachermatt83
12-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Until 1948, it was legal for anyone to catch a pass. You want to open things up more? Make everyone an eligible receiver.

NOOOOOOOO

preachermatt83
12-27-2017, 06:02 PM
I don’t know how but I would like for football to get back to a game where it’s not just pitch and catch and defense actually is a part of the game.....

Amen

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 06:07 PM
I love the targeting rule... I hate the ejection for targeting. Make it a 2 offense ejection like unsportsmanlike. And if the point of replay is ?get it right?, then refs gotta be able to pick up a flag upon review.

1 rule is change- PI... if you?re burned you may as well tackle the receiver bc it?s only 15. Needs to be a spot foul like NFL

I want a soccer style yellow & red card for targeting. Yellow is for the incidental kind that we are complaining about & 2 of those equals an ejection. The red is for the egregious kind that everyone wants out of the game.

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2017, 06:09 PM

The best way for that to happen is to allow more contact between WRs & DBs. The regulation of that contact is what has led to this era of football in the first place.

Currently the rule is that a DB cannot initiate contact past 5 yards. I'd say if you even widened that distance to 10 yards, it would make playing dink & dunk significantly tougher

DudyDawg
12-27-2017, 07:39 PM
I want a soccer style yellow & red card for targeting. Yellow is for the incidental kind that we are complaining about & 2 of those equals an ejection. The red is for the egregious kind that everyone wants out of the game.

I could get behind that, but I think you?d have tons of fans complainging about what color ppl are getting and making it a two strike offence perioud takes that out of the equation.

BuckyIsAB****
12-27-2017, 08:52 PM
So it's better for a defender beaten but within reach of a receiver to have the prerogative of turning a 60 yard play into a 15 yard play?

I dont really understand what you're saying but IMO pass interference should be a 15 yard penalty thats it. Nothing more. In the NFL you can throw it 50 yards down field get a petty PI call and get a 50 yard gain out of it. Its trash. Hard enough to play D now with all the rules favoring the offense anway

parabrave
12-27-2017, 08:59 PM
The 1st rule would be unless it's a personal foul; no block in the back or holding can be called on kickoffs/punts if it has no effect on the outcome of the play. Number 2 if the receiver has to come back to the ball and runs through the DB then there is no interference on the play.

parabrave
12-27-2017, 09:27 PM
But i wish they would call more downfield cut blocks.

Coach34
12-27-2017, 09:37 PM
It absolutely amazes me anybody- let along State fans- want the NFL PI penalty in college football. As much as Southern officials cheat- do we really want cheap contact on a 50 yard pass giving Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and Fla those ticky-tack advantages in close games vs the non-Blue Bloods of the SEC???? Holy shit that would be terrible. After Dick Pace stealing the Egg Bowl from us in 1981 off of a Hail Mary 100% bullshit PI call I would think State fans would want PI to be 5 yards from the LOS. PI should be a 10 yard penalty-especially with teams throwing it 35-40 times per game now. The defense has to have a chance.

But hey- let's make it a spot foul so guys like Dick Pace can flagrantly cheat to change the outcome of games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocxZM1lQEg

thf24
12-27-2017, 10:31 PM
I dont really understand what you're saying but IMO pass interference should be a 15 yard penalty thats it. Nothing more. In the NFL you can throw it 50 yards down field get a petty PI call and get a 50 yard gain out of it. Its trash. Hard enough to play D now with all the rules favoring the offense anway

As long as it's a set yardage, then it's to the defense's advantage to commit a penalty, at any point in the game, if the play would likely result in a gain beyond that yardage. I don't see how any alternative can be more stupid or wrong than that.

It absolutely amazes me anybody- let along State fans- want the NFL PI penalty in college football. As much as Southern officials cheat- do we really want cheap contact on a 50 yard pass giving Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and Fla those ticky-tack advantages in close games vs the non-Blue Bloods of the SEC???? Holy shit that would be terrible. After Dick Pace stealing the Egg Bowl from us in 1981 off of a Hail Mary 100% bullshit PI call I would think State fans would want PI to be 5 yards from the LOS. PI should be a 10 yard penalty-especially with teams throwing it 35-40 times per game now. The defense has to have a chance.

But hey- let's make it a spot foul so guys like Dick Pace can flagrantly cheat to change the outcome of games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocxZM1lQEg

This is the best argument in this thread against it. Depends on whether we're arguing in contextual reality or a theoretical vacuum.

TimberBeast
12-28-2017, 12:11 AM
On the nfl interference call, if the defender tackles the receiver before catching the ball then it’s not a catch. The player didn’t catch the ball. It’s interference, so it should always be the same 15 yard penalty. You can’t give the offense a 50 yard penalty if there is no complete pass, regardless of why it happened. There is no guarantee the guy catches the ball. It is really the worst penalty in football. For the people arguing for it because of officiating, what do you think would happen if bama is on their 20 and needs a field goal with 20 seconds on the clock? They throw up a bs pass 60 yards downfield and now they’re on our 20 in one play because of a pass interference call?

Ari Gold
12-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Stop reviewing every ****ing thing. They review shit now that has no business being reviewed.

CarolinaDawgs
12-28-2017, 01:05 AM
Stop reviewing every ****ing thing. They review shit now that has no business being reviewed.

This. You get 1 minute to review. Not 10 minutes to nitpick and figure out every movement of the ball. If you can't figure it out after a couple reviews, you don't deserve 60.

Bully13
12-28-2017, 06:06 AM

This one confuses more than any.

Bully13
12-28-2017, 06:22 AM

Yep. Because your concern, which is indeed valid, is not as damaging overall as controversial 50 yd penalties. Sometimes you gotta pick your poison and understand you can't make things 100% perfect.

Percho
12-28-2017, 04:19 PM

Checkdown Charlie? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Percho
12-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I think you should have to be touched down as in the NFL. Play in Navy Va game where punter for Va had to put a knee on the ground to field the snap inspired this post.

Lord McBuckethead
12-28-2017, 04:52 PM
The biggest two rules would be the fumble through the endzone is a turnover and I would give everyone 5 years eligibility, no red, grey, or other color shirts. 5 years period, but you can play whenever.

Negative Waves
12-28-2017, 05:08 PM
I?d do away with the game clock and go to a possession based format, say 3-4 possessions a quarter per team. The ending of games, even blow outs would be a lot more exciting, plus games that are blow outs would end much sooner. Down 3 scores with 3 possessions left, a team is going to have to score every possession to keep the game from ending and prevent the other team from scoring. The play clock would be kept to prevent games from going on forever.

thf24
12-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Yep. Because your concern, which is indeed valid, is not as damaging overall as controversial 50 yd penalties. Sometimes you gotta pick your poison and understand you can't make things 100% perfect.

I see your point, looking at it like that. Like I said in my last reply, I'm thinking more theoretical, which is probably too naive. Probably another factor involved is that the NFL's version of the rule is necessary for them since there's much greater athletic parity, while in college it's not since there are rarely situations where the defender is not in a position to make a play on the ball on a long pass, but is in one to intentionally interfere with a high chance of success.

I?d do away with the game clock and go to a possession based format, say 3-4 possessions a quarter per team. The ending of games, even blow outs would be a lot more exciting, plus games that are blow outs would end much sooner. Down 3 scores with 3 possessions left, a team is going to have to score every possession to keep the game from ending and prevent the other team from scoring. The play clock would be kept to prevent games from going on forever.

That would be interesting, but it would never happen because it would be a nightmare for TV, which has become the primary influence for time-related rules.

Homedawg
12-28-2017, 07:14 PM
And do away with "conference football officials". Just have NCAA officials.

You want to be stuck w the shit that's out there?sec refs as a rule, are better than the other crap that's out there.

msstate7
12-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Nobody wants that.

You can change the rules all you want, but you will not make CFB an nfl product

msstate7
12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Make officials open to media postgame. Will never happen, but I would love to see these guys answer questions on some of their BS

Apoplectic
12-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Refs breaking up fights, stopping celebrating in ez, and any other reason for them to interact with a player. Instead throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Make these penalties carryover to the next game. Two and ur gone for four full qtrs. Four and ur gone for rest of year.

TUSK
12-28-2017, 11:40 PM
1. Targeting.

2. The forward pass.

3. Whining (especially about officiating).

HereComesTheSpiral
12-29-2017, 12:24 AM
The rule where an obvious unimpeded touchdown on a turnover can get called back to where the fumble occurred because the ref blew the whistle. Like our play vs Auburn. That was the most bullshit call ever and it really affected the game a lot.

How about a fumble that gets recovered and replay overturns it and changes the call to a TD. Those refs from the 2014 Bama game can burn in hell.

DownwardDawg
12-29-2017, 08:15 AM

Nooooo!!!!!!! This is the worse rule in NFL. College does it right.

WinningIsRelentless
12-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Conferences aliment of officials.

Bubb Rubb
12-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Targeting.

Targeting absolutely has to be kept. Too many times you see defensive players using the helmet as a weapon and that can't happen.

Now, if you can remove the incidental contact to the head/neck area that gets players ejected, I'm all for it. I'm also for not making a player sit out or get ejected as a result of it unless it is deemed as flagrant. But anything that gets defenders more focused on fundamental tackling and less focused on launching themselves is good for the game.

drunkernhelldawg
12-29-2017, 01:59 PM

I think the offense should retain the ball, but it should go back to the 25.The defense should not be so richly rewarded for not making a play.

drunkernhelldawg
12-29-2017, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't mind if it were a season rule: a second offense during the season gets you ejected from the game.

bigplayslay
12-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I think the offense should retain the ball, but it should go back to the 25.The defense should not be so richly rewarded for not making a play.

This would have helped in 2010 vs. Arky. Was at that game and will never forget it.

The Federalist Engineer
12-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Create minor league football league and pay the players ... then let college football be college football, 20 schollys for unlimited players

No draft declaration, just let people be drafted and take deal or no, like college baseball

Bully13
12-29-2017, 04:07 PM

What's the big difference between a fumble that rolls out of bounds at the 3 yd line vs one that rolls out of the end zone? Why the 25 yd penalty?

maroonmania
01-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Add one for me. All extra points in overtime MUST be 2 point tries. To wait for the 3rd OT is just stupid. The whole point of the OT should be to determine a winner in as timely a manner as possible.