PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Jones decommits

hacker
09-30-2013, 10:48 PM
High 3 star OT out of Georgia just flipped to NC State. Not good. Paul Jones said once that he and the other Georgia OL were the key to the class.

Irondawg
09-30-2013, 11:17 PM
nope and for freaking NC State of all places. In his interview he specifically mentioned that he like being close to the city b/c he was a city boy among a few other things he liked about NC State. So I have a feeling location may have played a bigger part than I would have though after he committed. Focus on getting the the JUCO secure and somehow getting 6 wins and there will be some nice players to prey on later when the coaching carousel begins after the season.

I just keep wishing for that early signing period

msstate7
09-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Is Danley a priority now?

Todd4State
10-01-2013, 12:19 AM
High 3 star OT out of Georgia just flipped to NC State. Not good. Paul Jones said once that he and the other Georgia OL were the key to the class.

What?

Honestly, I wish him well, but I'm he at least decided to do this now rather than later with spots being so tight. We should get a commitment Shawn Rawlings from MRA sometime soon.

Todd4State
10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Is Danley a priority now?

Of course Dan wants him to graduate in December. So, it sounds like we want him for the next class. Which I think is asinine.

bocfarm
10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Hev is terrrrrrrible!

And no I'm not blaming him bc the kid flipped but blaming him bc of who's next on our OL board....its dreadful. And don't bank on him ever flipping anyone, his pride and laziness gets in the way of that.

HancockCountyDog
10-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Well I guess I now understand why we offered Rawlings. I hope our evaluation on Rawlings is accurate.

maroonmania
10-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I honestly feel that OL recruiting is the one area that will prevent us from ever having an elite team under Mullen. All projects all the time won't get it done and that seems to be the only area of the team that we are relegated to never getting any high quality prospects. I would be more than fine with Hevesy being asked to move along as well but I certainly don't expect it. Hevesy is to Mullen as McCorvey was to Croom.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Hev is terrrrrrrible!

And no I'm not blaming him bc the kid flipped but blaming him bc of who's next on our OL board....its dreadful. And don't bank on him ever flipping anyone, his pride and laziness gets in the way of that.

Hevesy is not the only coach that recruits OL players- all of the coaches do. Most OL coaches have shitty personalities also- that's why so few of them become head coaches

The Hev hate is nearly as overblown as the Legend of Hud and his trademarked plays he let us use while he was in Sville

maroonmania
10-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Hevesy is not the only coach that recruits OL players- all of the coaches do. Most OL coaches have shitty personalities also- that's why so few of them become head coaches

The Hev hate is nearly as overblown as the Legend of Hud and his trademarked plays he let us use while he was in Sville

Then they ALL suck at recruiting OL prospects. I still don't feel any better about it.

bocfarm
10-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Then they ALL suck at recruiting OL prospects. I still don't feel any better about it.

What I was ab to say. I'm not pointing to the Jones ordeal but overall OL recruiting since Mullen has been here. The best OL players under DM were Crooms recruits....this has to get much better for us to compete bc OM, Aub, Ark are recruiting very well at this position.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM

I agree about Hevesy. I remember how much better our O line got immediately when he got here. I think he does a good job. I don't know what the problem is with our O line recruiting.

You shut your whore mouth about HUD!!! His legend is real, and I believe in him. It's as real as Bigfoot and black panthers. They both live in the woods behind my house!

maroonmania
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
What I was ab to say. I'm not pointing to the Jones ordeal but overall OL recruiting since Mullen has been here. The best OL players under DM were Crooms recruits....this has to get much better for us to compete bc OM, Aub, Ark are recruiting very well at this position.

Yep, pretty sad when we are trying to patch the OL together with mostly "project" recruits while OM is pulling in guys like Tunsil and Golson away from GA and FSU in just one class.

maroonmania
10-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I agree about Hevesy. I remember how much better our O line got immediately when he got here. I think he does a good job. I don't know what the problem is with our O line recruiting.

You shut your whore mouth about HUD!!! His legend is real, and I believe in him. It's as real as Bigfoot and black panthers. They both live in the woods behind my house!

Now I agree with this, Hev is definitely a better coach than recruiter. Given the low ceiling most of our OL recruits under Mullen come in with the OL play is not that bad.

Political Hack
10-01-2013, 09:20 AM
this will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Yep, pretty sad when we are trying to patch the OL together with mostly "project" recruits while OM is pulling in guys like Tunsil and Golson away from GA and FSU in just one class.

Well, that comparision isnt fair- because those ****ers got a helluva lot more than a mustang discount.

FISHDAWG
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
funny how a month ago everyone was saying how the O-line is a strength of this team

FlabLoser
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Well, that comparision isnt fair- because those ****ers got a helluva lot more than a mustang discount.

Sure its fair. We aren't being fair to ourselves.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
As far as our OL goes, we made some mistakes in recruiting as far as not having enough depth in 2011- some of that was Croom's holes he left and then Mullen's reluctance to bring in jucos to fill in the gaps. We got injuries early and it really hurt the season.

The OL problems with Russell in the game are scheme problem- not lack of talent. Our OL looks a shit ton better with Dakota in there- and its because the scheme is run how it should be. Hell, look at OM and their highly recruited guys- they got their shit pushed in by Bammer.

If we struggle to run the ball vs LSU Saturday with Prescott in there- then I'll worry. But I look for us to be able to move the football

engie
10-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Here is a problem I see with it. Forseeable future:

Aaron Morris 4*(will be a medically rs SO)
Laremy Tunsil 5*(fr getting a ton of experience)
Austin Golson 4*(fr getting a ton of experience)

committed:
Rod Taylor high 4*(#2 OG in the country)
Andy Bauer high 4*(#7 OT in the country)

and they are chasing 2 more 4*s in this class that are no less likely to sign with them than Golson and Tunsil were last year.

That's their OL for the next 3 years. Matt Luke may be an idiot -- but his job is going to be damn easy with that talent level.

Meanwhile, we are losing 3*s from Georgia that had Turner as his primary recruiter(when he hadn't been back but a few months upon the commitment) -- and Hevesy as secondary.

MarketingBully01
10-01-2013, 10:32 AM
This is what I don't understand about bitching about OLinemen recruiting. That is the one position that no one gets right. Sure, you have your Tunsil's and Cyrus Quanjos (sp) of the world out of high school but in general that is a position that you develop more then any other position. Who is to say that the kids we have committed won't develop into great linemen? I think we will be okay. Also, our OLinemen are not crap. People just enjoy bitching about it because they didn't play well in week one. Our OL is at least middle of the pack in the SEC.

MarketingBully01
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Tunsil is the only one that is going to amount to shit though. You have to develop linemen and I don't think they will. Mark it down.

Homedawg
10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Here is a problem I see with it. Forseeable future:

Aaron Morris 4*(will be a medically rs SO)
Laremy Tunsil 5*(fr getting a ton of experience)
Austin Golson 4*(fr getting a ton of experience)

committed:
Rod Taylor high 4*(#2 OG in the country)
Andy Bauer high 4*(#7 OT in the country)

and they are chasing 2 more 4*s in this class that are no less likely to sign with them than Golson and Tunsil were last year.

That's their OL for the next 3 years. Matt Luke may be an idiot -- but his job is going to be damn easy with that talent level.

Meanwhile, we are losing 3*s from Georgia that had Turner as his primary recruiter(when he hadn't been back but a few months upon the commitment) -- and Hevesy as secondary.

All good points. Fwiw, Morris is a jr. So he will be a jr again next year, he played as a Tr fr.

tcdog70
10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Just go down to Scooba and sign all their OL.

Raytoraid83
10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Just go down to Scooba and sign all their OL.

Tried that and we've already been locked out of the race with Gennesy

engie
10-01-2013, 11:08 AM
This is what I don't understand about bitching about OLinemen recruiting. That is the one position that no one gets right. Sure, you have your Tunsil's and Cyrus Quanjos (sp) of the world out of high school but in general that is a position that you develop more then any other position. Who is to say that the kids we have committed won't develop into great linemen? I think we will be okay. Also, our OLinemen are not crap. People just enjoy bitching about it because they didn't play well in week one. Our OL is at least middle of the pack in the SEC.

Coach mentions the 2011 problem -- but I see the SAME EXACT writing on the wall in 2013. Maybe we get lucky and don't have anyone else go down. But we aren't "getting it right". That's why we had SIX -- maybe SEVEN OL ready to go at the very beginning in YEAR 5 here. An injury to Beckwith or Gabe and I almost feel like we've got to get Tobias back out there. We've got 2 unheralded rsFR on the second string. That = no depth. Why, do you ask, do we have no depth? Let's look at it.

2009 class
Gabe Jackson - GREAT, unheralded recruit. Was obvious as a rsFR when he started every game.
Sam Watts - TOTAL bust and flameout

2010 class
Damien Robinson - Highly recruited career backup
Archie Muniz - Career backup
Eric Lawson - TOTAL bust and flameout
Dillon Day - Great, unheralded recruit. Was obvious halfway through his rsFR year -- when he started getting a ton of PT because of injuries
Blaine Clausell - Decent, unheralded recruit.
Ben Beckwith - Decent, unheralded recruit.
Jeff Howie - Don't know if he ever made it to campus or not. Needless to say -- total bust.

2011 class
Justin Malone - Likely very good, unheralded recruit.
Daniel Knox - TOTAL bust and flameout
Nick Redmond - TOTAL bust and flameout
Joey Trapp - TOTAL bust

2012 class
Devon Desper - too early to tell
Charles Siddoway - Good, unheralded JUCO recruit
Cole Carter - 2nd string as a rsFR
Dylan Holley - Career Backup
Justin Senior - 2nd string as a rsFR

2013 class
Jake Thomas
Kent Flowers
Jamaal Clayborn

2014 class
Jordan Harris
Norman Price
Jocquell Johnson

In reality, we've "hit" on < 50% of the OL we have recruited under this regime -- and we've only gotten ONE highly-recruited guy in 5 classes(and he's a bust compared to his ratings). That's still a big ass problem. And it isn't getting better! News flash: We actively moved the ball against elite defenses ONCE -- 2010(you could also argue 2009) -- when we had an ELITE 4* highly recruited upperclassman left tackle.

I haven't seen anything to imply that we're fixing a problem or even acknowledging a problem. Meanwhile, our rushing has gone from #9, to #16, to #38, to #84 -- and are currently #43 after having not seen any defense above the average of what we will face this year.

maroonmania
10-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Yes, its hard to get projects right which is mostly what we sign. Certainly wasn't a shock to us when Derrick Sherrod worked out well because he was rated high AND had plenty of other SEC offers. The top guys DO normally pan out for the most part so I'll be shocked if OM doesn't have an outstanding OL in the next few years. They are not all that great right now because their best ones are true freshmen. Not really fair to compare them to guys we have playing that have been in Mullen's system for 3 to 4 years.

engie
10-01-2013, 11:25 AM
What pisses me off is that we've got an "MSU GUY" that's probably the best OL coach -- and arguably the best playcaller/OC in all of JUCO sitting down in Perkinston, MS right now putting up 40+ points a week with a team that's been decimated by injuries.

But it's clear at this point that Campbell's loyalty lies with Hud -- and he has very little to this staff...

Political Hack
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
What pisses me off is that we've got an "MSU GUY" that's probably the best OL coach -- and arguably the best playcaller/OC in all of JUCO sitting down in Perkinston, MS right now putting up 40+ points a week with a team that's been decimated by injuries.

But it's clear at this point that Campbell's loyalty lies with Hud -- and he has very little to this staff...

who's the last guy we signed out of Perk? Surely it was someone after the year we signed Chris White, but I can't think of any.

HancockCountyDog
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Coach mentions the 2011 problem -- but I see the SAME EXACT writing on the wall in 2013. Maybe we get lucky and don't have anyone else go down. But we aren't "getting it right". That's why we had SIX -- maybe SEVEN OL ready to go at the very beginning in YEAR 5 here. An injury to Beckwith or Gabe and I almost feel like we've got to get Tobias back out there. We've got 2 unheralded rsFR on the second string. That = no depth. Why, do you ask, do we have no depth? Let's look at it.

2009 class
Gabe Jackson - GREAT, unheralded recruit. Was obvious as a rsFR when he started every game.
Sam Watts - TOTAL bust and flameout

2010 class
Damien Robinson - Highly recruited career backup
Archie Muniz - Career backup
Eric Lawson - TOTAL bust and flameout
Dillon Day - Great, unheralded recruit. Was obvious halfway through his rsFR year -- when he started getting a ton of PT because of injuries
Blaine Clausell - Decent, unheralded recruit.
Ben Beckwith - Decent, unheralded recruit.
Jeff Howie - Don't know if he ever made it to campus or not. Needless to say -- total bust.

2011 class
Justin Malone - Likely very good, unheralded recruit.
Daniel Knox - TOTAL bust and flameout
Nick Redmond - TOTAL bust and flameout
Joey Trapp - TOTAL bust

2012 class
Devon Desper - too early to tell
Charles Siddoway - Good, unheralded JUCO recruit
Cole Carter - 2nd string as a rsFR
Dylan Holley - Career Backup
Justin Senior - 2nd string as a rsFR

2013 class
Jake Thomas
Kent Flowers
Jamaal Clayborn

2014 class
Jordan Harris
Norman Price
Jocquell Johnson

In reality, we've "hit" on < 50% of the OL we have recruited under this regime -- and we've only gotten ONE highly-recruited guy in 5 classes(and he's a bust compared to his ratings). That's still a big ass problem. And it isn't getting better! News flash: We actively moved the ball against elite defenses ONCE -- 2010(you could also argue 2009) -- when we had an ELITE 4* highly recruited upperclassman left tackle.

I haven't seen anything to imply that we're fixing a problem or even acknowledging a problem. Meanwhile, our rushing has gone from #9, to #16, to #38, to #84 -- and are currently #43 after having not seen any defense above the average of what we will face this year.

Great post. You can probably do the same thing about the WR position. If there are two positions we have missed on under Mullen its OL and WR.

MSUDawg4Life
10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
who's the last guy we signed out of Perk? Surely it was someone after the year we signed Chris White, but I can't think of any.

Some guy named Vick Ballard ....

James Carmon.

Dylan Holley.

Mts68

Dylan Holley is from perk, not that that is saying much.

SignalToNoise
Good post engie and that is why I'm critical of this coaching staff when it comes OL. Sure they are serviceable right now but things really need to improve.

That 2011 class is laughable.

engie
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Holley, Ballard, and Carmon.

We were getting 2/yr while Hud was still here -- and Holley is the only one we've gotten since Hud left...

smootness
10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Jordan Harris

We definitely can't count him now, either. He and Tyler Jones are teammates, committed within a couple days of each other, and just recently talked about how happy they were to be playing together on the next level.

HancockCountyDog
10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Holley, Ballard, and Carmon.

We were getting 2/yr while Hud was still here -- and Holley is the only one we've gotten since Hud left...

We could use that stud WR at Perk.

Homedawg
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM

I won't argue that Campbell is a good coach. However, what were our running stats and offensive stats when he was line coach? Without looking it up, I don't think very good. You may prove me wrong though.

engie
10-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I won't argue that Campbell is a good coach. However, what were our running stats and offensive stats when he was line coach? Without looking it up, I don't think very good. You may prove me wrong though.

He was here for one year in 2003. Hardly ANY frame of reference to be had there.

He's broken COUNTLESS offensive records in JUCO, at Delta St, and everywhere else he's coached. Really, his overall resume' = Hud's resume' prior to ULL. Maybe better.

AROB44
10-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Thank you for this statement.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
He was here for one year in 2003. Hardly ANY frame of reference to be had there.

He's broken COUNTLESS offensive records in JUCO, at Delta St, and everywhere else he's coached. Really, his overall resume' = Hud's resume' prior to ULL. Maybe better.

Yeah, Campbell was the HC when Delta State won the D-II National Championship. Hud was the OC- I think Campbell called the plays too- but cant completely remember

Bothrops
10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
We definitely can't count him now, either. He and Tyler Jones are teammates, committed within a couple days of each other, and just recently talked about how happy they were to be playing together on the next level.

Agreed, I doubt we sign Jordan. Outside of La and AL it's hard for us to pull kids from out of state. Too many options out there.

BHildreth3
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Fire Mullen and make Campbell coach :) i'm sick of this bs and i want 200 rushing yard days again

preachermatt83
10-01-2013, 08:46 PM
the bottom line is the kid didn't want to play for hevesy and I can't blame him.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 08:53 PM
the bottom line is the kid didn't want to play for hevesy and I can't blame him.

his lead recruiter wasnt Hev- it was Turner

PendingTransaction
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Hevesy is the best OL coach in football. Dan said it.

tcdog70
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Dan shouldn't piss off Buddy. Being locked out of Scooba is not a good thing.

Tried that and we've already been locked out of the race with Gennesy

tcdog70
10-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Holley

hacker
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Dan shouldn't piss off Buddy. Being locked out of Scooba is not a good thing.

lol

MarketingBully01
10-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Jordan's first choice was MSU. Tyler's first choice was not. See the difference? We will be fine with Jordan. Heck, we might get Jones back in the boat. It's a long way until February and with the football carosal opening up the NC State coach might not be there come February.

Barking 13
10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by preachermatt83

his lead recruiter wasnt Hev- it was Turner

doesn't matter, he's still the O Line coach...

RougeDawg
10-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Not hard to pull recruits away when you break the bank to get them. To recruits like the two you mentioned, all you've got to do is show them the money. We can't do that because any signing of 5 stars more than 50 miles outside of Starkville will automatically trigger an internal investigation by Bracky and subsequent self reporting to the Indianapolis NCAA Office.

camsu
10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Also where is there anything the kid decommitted because of Hev. nothing just because you guys don't like him does not mean the kid did not. Gabe will be a 1st round pick - who was his coach?

hacker
10-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I want to start a collection of MSU memes. Somebody posts an opinion and suddenly it becomes fact throughout the fan base.

- Hevesy worst o-line coach ever
- Hud was the reason our offense worked in 2009 and 2010
- Tyler is a statue that holds on to the ball too long *flame suit activated*

What else?