PDA

View Full Version : Mr. SEC on Bo "Zo" Wallace....

CadaverDawg
09-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Whenever we at MrSEC.com take a coach or player to task for flapping his gums or behaving obnoxiously, it?s inevitable that we?ll receive a few angry emails from fans of said coach or player. ?You just can?t stand anyone showing a little swagger.? Well, yeah, that?s part of it. Why not just do your job and let the scoreboard do the talking? The other part of our disdain for chirp-itis is this: What?s it accomplish?
Last week we pointed out that Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace had needlessly popped off about Alabama?s here-one-week, gone-the-next defense. Heading into a big game at Tuscaloosa, the leader of a then-undefeated Rebel teams said:

?Yeah, I think we can put points on them. I think we can put points on anybody. We just have to show up and play. It?s the same thing every week, let?s stay on schedule, control the tempo and don?t have any turnovers?
I wouldn?t say (Alabama?s secondary has had) a drop off, but when you have first-round corners every year, I don?t know if they are exactly first-round corners. But if you have a guy going in the top 10, you?re going to have a little bit of a drop off the next year.?

So much for putting points on them. The top-ranked Crimson Tide made Bo into a bozo by shutting his team out and his mouth up. The Rebs managed just 205 yards of total offense. They recorded just 11 first downs all game. They turned the ball over twice.
Specifically, Wallace completed 17-of-31 passes for 159 yards. His yards-per-attempt average was a miniscule 5.1 yards per pass. His passer rating was a laughable 15.2. Yes, 15.2.
As a runner he tallied five yards on 12 carries for a 0.4 yards-per-rush average.
In the end, what did Wallace?s comments do to help his team? How did his ?swagger? aid the Rebel cause? On a larger scale, what team has ever won a game because one of its players talked up his own team and talked down the opponent?
The only thing chatting can do is hurt a team?s chances of winning. Just ask Wallace about Saturday?s 25-0 loss or Alabama?s corners today.

(Thanks to myusernamesucks on SPS for this write up)

sandwolf
10-01-2013, 01:07 AM
I definitely laughed when I saw where he made those comments. Just like I cringed as the we believe campaign caught traction last year. I just don't see how it is beneficial to give a team of that caliber something to rally around. It just seems like the best approach for teams like us and the bears would be: 1.) keep your head down and your mouth shut, and 2.) focus on playing the absolute best game of mistake free football that your team is capable of.....because even if you can accomplish #2 and play to your ceiling, you are still going to have to catch them looking ahead to have a shot at winning the game. And the chances of that happening go down in a big way if you ignore #1.....especially with Saban, because that guy gets his teams up for big games as well as anybody.