PDA

View Full Version : Whop

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 10:46 PM
Hold me to this... I believe that when his career at MSU is done he will be the greatest reciever to ever wear the maroon and white. JoeMo likes to throw the 50/50 ball and that is whop's specialty. He may be the best at high pointing the ball that I've ever seen in High School.

Coach34
12-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Not a high bar at MSU.

He does look damn good though. He's better than Heath- and Heath aint bad. Looking forward to seeing what our 3 signees can do the 2nd half of the season this Fall.

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Not a high bar at MSU.

He does look damn good though. He's better than Heath- and Heath aint bad. Looking forward to seeing what our 3 signees can do the 2nd half of the season this Fall.
Agree on all accounts.

ShotgunDawg
12-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Not a high bar at MSU.

I love them both, but think Heath has quicker feet and is more explosive.

I obviously respect your opinion, so, other than physical maturity, what do you like about Whop over Heath?

Coach34
12-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Whop looks bigger and more polished- more college ready. Heath can stretch the defense and do some really good things- but he is going to have to learn alot of nuances with the position that Whop is already good with.

Joe Schmedlap
12-25-2017, 11:56 PM
Eric Moulds
‘Nuff said

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 12:16 AM
Whop looks bigger and more polished- more college ready. Heath can stretch the defense and do some really good things- but he is going to have to learn alot of nuances with the position that Whop is already good with.

That's why I think Whop might be able to play both outside and slot receiver.

What are your thoughts on Guidry?

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2017, 12:29 AM
He will be the best WR we have on campus on the first day he shows up

Coach34
12-26-2017, 12:39 AM
That's why I think Whop might be able to play both outside and slot receiver.

What are your thoughts on Guidry?

All 3 are outside WR's

We have Mixon, Dear, and Thomas in the slot next year. We have that covered. We need outside WR's that can ball.

Covercorner2
12-26-2017, 09:18 AM
All 3 are outside WR's

We have Mixon, Dear, and Thomas in the slot next year. We have that covered. We need outside WR's that can ball.

Whop is going to get a shot in the slot. He even mentions so in some of his recruiting conversations. The days of slot receivers having to be small and quick is over- see Brown, AJ. Between Guidry, Heath, Todd, and Couch (and our 17 TEs on the roster) we have options on the outside that make having a mismatch like Whop in the slot a luxury.

msstate7
12-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Whop is going to get a shot in the slot. He even mentions so in some of his recruiting conversations. The days of slot receivers having to be small and quick is over- see Brown, AJ. Between Guidry, Heath, Todd, and Couch (and our 17 TEs on the roster) we have options on the outside that make having a mismatch like Whop in the slot a luxury.

If mixon is healthy, I do not see Jason taking his spot. Mixon avg?d over 15 yards a catch last season.

MSUDAWGFAN
12-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Not a high bar at MSU.

Some dude named Eric Moulds would say that bar was pretty dang high.

Covercorner2
12-26-2017, 10:02 AM
If mixon is healthy, I do not see Jason taking his spot. Mixon avg?d over 15 yards a catch last season.

They can both play the slot in different situations. I am just saying don't be surprised if Whop plays a decent amount in the slot. He can get tough YAC yards on screens.

lastmajordog
12-26-2017, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Coach34;863359]Not a high bar at MSU.

Eric Moulds, Mardye Mcdole raise and eyebrow at that remark.......

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Your stat is irrelevant.

I’m not here to disagree with your point, just disagree with a completely useless stat.

What does him averaging 15 yards per catch have to do with anything?

What if he can’t get open?
What if his catch radius is too small for Fitz’s sub-par accuracy?
What if he doesn’t know the plays?

I like Mixon and am not completely disagreeing with you, but your case for him is terribly flawed if not irrelevant

msstate7
12-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Your stat is irrelevant.

I’m not here to disagree with your point, just disagree with a completely useless stat.

What does him averaging 15 yards per catch have to do with anything?

What if he can’t get open?
What if his catch radius is too small for Fitz’s sub-par accuracy?
What if he doesn’t know the plays?

I like Mixon and am not completely disagreeing with you, but your case for him is terribly flawed if not irrelevant

When he was fully healthy, he had 6 catches for 97 yards vs LSU and a td. He has something this offseason sorely misses, explosiveness

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

Agree with everything you said. I think Whop is the better guy for about the first year and half, but then Heath figures it out and becomes a super star

I’ll take his raw athleticism, burst, and feet over Whop in the long term

stalkingpoon
I’m very interested to see or WR core this year with Dear, Mixon & Thomas at slot and Whop, Heath, Guidry, Todd and Couch on the outside. Throw in our RBs and this offense has the potential to be one of the best in the SEC.

Jack Lambert
Which one is Whop?

Percho
12-26-2017, 11:22 AM
"Whop," is either how you make biscuits or what you do to a barn rat with an ear of corn. I think! Ask Jerry Clower.

MrKotter
12-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Which one is Whop? Devonta Jason I believe

NWADAWG
12-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Which one is Whop?

Don't ask that question to a group of Italians.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Don't ask that question to a group of Italians.

I wish we had a player named "Whack"

Bama_Dawg
12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Eric Moulds
?Nuff said

IF he's better than Moulds we are in for a treat. Even if he's 3/4 the receiver Moulds was...

starkvegasdawg
12-26-2017, 11:59 AM
IF he's better than Moulds we are in for a treat. Even if he's 3/4 the receiver Moulds was...

Just as long as he isn?t banging the QB?s gf.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2017, 12:49 PM
I see our starters being:

WR: Guidry
Slot: Whop
WR: Todd

Hopefully Heath can push Todd for the other outside spot.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Same way I see it.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 02:36 PM

I'm good with that group. We're going to probably see some guys like Couch, Heath, Thomas etc. worked in.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Same way I see it.

This is a lot of height.

How do you mix Dear, Mixon, & Thomas into this?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-26-2017, 02:52 PM
This is a lot of height.

How do you mix Dear, Mixon, & Thomas into this?

They can be the in the rotation. I look to see Dear & Kylin to be used a lot like Saquon where he played in the slot a lot in the 5 wide set. He ran a lot of routes & also motioned back into the backfield a lot.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 02:53 PM
They can be the in the rotation. I look to see Dear & Kylin to be used a lot like Saquon where he played in the slot a lot in the 5 wide set. He ran a lot of routes & also motioned back into the backfield a lot.

Man, I'm excited.

We finally have upper echelon WR talent with a coach that knows how to use it.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 02:58 PM

And Aeris. I agree about Dear- we're going to see him used more as a running back than we did under Dan. That's a good thing. Aeris has good hands and I think Mo will use him like Barkley as well. And I also agree that Hill is going to be more dynamic in this offense as well.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Man, I'm excited.

We finally have upper echelon WR talent with a coach that knows how to use it.

Dan knew how to use it- he just didn't know how to recruit it. Hard work and earn your job doesn't sell the prima dona positions.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Dan knew how to use it- he just didn't know how to recruit it. Hard work and earn your job doesn't sell the prima dona positions.

I've debated this.

Dan is an excellent football coach, but I feel like his specialty was more running the ball with hopes that it would open up the pass off play action. Additionally, it could have been due to our talent level at WR, but we were always catching the football coming back to the ball.

Dan appeared to have a trouble designing a passing game that challenged a team vertically. While I always loved Dan's running game in comparison to Freeze, I always wished we would attempt to challenge teams vertically like Freeze did.

My hope that is that, even though JoMo may have better WR talent than Mullen, that going vertical is a greater part of this offense. It will help win big games due to shortening the amount of plays needed to score against elite defenses.

Bully13
12-26-2017, 04:16 PM
we haven't seen an abundance of 50/50 success in a while . the basketball dude from AL is the last one I can remember who didn't play but 1 year of HS football. he foolishly left a year early though. yea, Bear Wilson. that's him. we need more of his type.

Covercorner2
12-26-2017, 04:31 PM
we haven't seen an abundance of 50/50 success in a while . the basketball dude from AL is the last one I can remember who didn't play but 1 year of HS football. he foolishly left a year early though. yea, Bear Wilson. that's him. we need more of his type.

I was actually thinking about this last night. It will be not only refreshing, but also I think very beneficial to bring in some big body receivers that have actually played the position in HS and for a number of years. If you think about it, the last few years the big body receivers we have brought in have either 1) not had a lot of experience playing WR, 2) not had a lot of experience playing football PERIOD, or 3) were recruited by other schools at other positions. Wilson didn't even play football until his junior or senior year. Couch was recruited by most as an OLB. Todd was committed to UNLV in hoops. It is going to be nice to have some guys coming in that already have some polish and aren't projects.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 04:42 PM

Bear was big & could block out, but I was never impressed with his leaping ability or skill at high pointing the football.

I can't remember the last time we had a WR that could high point the football on fade routes or deep balls.

I'll be curious which of the new 3 WRs have that ability.

Covercorner2
12-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Bear was big & could block out, but I was never impressed with his leaping ability or skill at high pointing the football.

I can't remember the last time we had a WR that could high point the football on fade routes or deep balls.

That comes with experience playing the position. That's why I think it can't be overstated how much different it will be bringing in guys that are actual highly rated RECEIVERS coming out of HS/JUCO.

the59dawg
12-26-2017, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;863359]Not a high bar at MSU.

Eric Moulds, Mardye Mcdole raise and eyebrow at that remark.......

If only Mcdole could play in current time. Awesome.

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Agree with everything you said. I think Whop is the better guy for about the first year and half, but then Heath figures it out and becomes a super star

I?ll take his raw athleticism, burst, and feet over Whop in the long term

Heath isnt better than Whop. Hate to burst your bubble. Heath is a good player but hes raw, he basically has had no coaching for the last 4 years. And he is a different kid, he is going to have to buy in. Not trying to hate on the kid or you, hope he lights it up but he is going to have to grow up some and learn. Jason is more mature and is the best 1 on 1 WR we have had since Bear. He is better than Bear was at this point and is going to make us all forget about him. Jason is the real deal

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Whop does. He has it and then some. Go watch his highlights on 24/7. Highlights dont tell the whole story but Whops is as impressive as any I've ever seen

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 06:53 PM
I've debated this.

Dan is an excellent football coach, but I feel like his specialty was more running the ball with hopes that it would open up the pass off play action. Additionally, it could have been due to our talent level at WR, but we were always catching the football coming back to the ball.

Dan appeared to have a trouble designing a passing game that challenged a team vertically. While I always loved Dan's running game in comparison to Freeze, I always wished we would attempt to challenge teams vertically like Freeze did.

My hope that is that, even though JoMo may have better WR talent than Mullen, that going vertical is a greater part of this offense. It will help win big games due to shortening the amount of plays needed to score against elite defenses.

I think some of that is Dan not trusting our players to make plays. I think that's what led to guys like Aeris being on the bench while Holloway played. It probably showed up in his play calling as a way to almost guarantee a guy gets open because he doesn't trust the guy to get separation.

Absolutely agree about attacking downfield more. We should throw it deep at least 4-6 times a game.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Heath isnt better than Whop. Hate to burst your bubble. Heath is a good player but hes raw, he basically has had no coaching for the last 4 years. And he is a different kid, he is going to have to buy in. Not trying to hate on the kid or you, hope he lights it up but he is going to have to grow up some and learn. Jason is more mature and is the best 1 on 1 WR we have had since Bear. He is better than Bear was at this point and is going to make us all forget about him. Jason is the real deal

Heath has the swagger we've been missing since Josh Robinson graduated and Fred Brown left. I don't think it's immaturity or having to buy in to anything- it's just a personality that most of the great WR's have like RICE, Irvin, Moss, TO, and actually I could probably list just about anyone in the NFL.

Dan didn't like swagger because he didn't want to have to manage it. If we can't handle swagger we're going to have to make a living off of guys that are raw and under the radar like Bear and Todd. It's hard to live like that in the SEC.

I don't think Heath starts but I bet he doesn't redshirt.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 06:59 PM

We'll see.

That's why I said that Whop will be better for the first year & a half & then Heath will be better afterwards.

Whop is tremendous, but when I watch the video, Heath is quicker twitch with lighter, more explosive feet, & a liver body.

I fully expect Whop to be more refined & probably make a quicker impact, but in the long run, so long as Heath can survive between the ears, I'm betting on his ingredients more than Whop.

Just a personal opinion. Let's pull this convo back up in 4 years & see who was right

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Heath has the swagger we've been missing since Josh Robinson graduated and Fred Brown left. I don't think it's immaturity or having to buy in to anything- it's just a personality that most of the great WR's have like RICE, Irvin, Moss, TO, and actually I could probably list just about anyone in the NFL.

Dan didn't like swagger because he didn't want to have to manage it. If we can't handle swagger we're going to have to make a living off of guys that are raw and under the radar like Bear and Todd. It's hard to live like that in the SEC.

Im just telling you I've seen him live, coached against him (in 7 on 7, yes I know its not a real game) he is a different kid. Im not saying he is gonna redshirt, he is extremely talented but Whop and Guidry are better right now. Now as far as who has the highest ceiling? It very well could be Heath, I'd say Whop will be better than both but thats just my opinion. Heath ran about 3 routes in high school for a JPS team. He didnt play very well in the MS/AL game and got a stupid penalty for running his mouth after a first down gain that hurt the team. He did look extremely good during practice all week before the game but he was running his mouth all week and he will even tell you he is gonna talk. I have no prob with it if you back it up, but getting a 15 yard penalty aint backing it up. Im all for the kid but Im just spitting facts

bulldawg28
12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
And Aeris. I agree about Dear- we're going to see him used more as a running back than we did under Dan. That's a good thing. Aeris has good hands and I think Mo will use him like Barkley as well. And I also agree that Hill is going to be more dynamic in this offense as well.

Aeris is not explosive. I wouldn't be shocked if he's overtaken by the younger guys.

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Aeris is not explosive. I wouldn't be shocked if he's overtaken by the younger guys.

But hes steady and makes 3 yards out of a 1 yard gain. Good in pass pro and at catching the rock, doesnt fumble. Id start him over anyone else we have. Hes one of the most steady in the SEC

preachermatt83
12-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Whop is the best high school player I've seen at high pointing a football.

preachermatt83
12-26-2017, 07:22 PM
We'll see.

That's why I said that Whop will be better for the first year & a half & then Heath will be better afterwards.

Whop is tremendous, but when I watch the video, Heath is quicker twitch with lighter, more explosive feet, & a liver body.

I fully expect Whop to be more refined & probably make a quicker impact, but in the long run, so long as Heath can survive between the ears, I'm betting on his ingredients more than Whop.

Just a personal opinion. Let's pull this convo back up in 4 years & see who was right

I bet you both have outstanding careers.

preachermatt83
12-26-2017, 07:24 PM

His ability to block is very underrated

bulldawg28
12-26-2017, 07:26 PM
But hes steady and makes 3 yards out of a 1 yard gain. Good in pass pro and at catching the rock, doesnt fumble. Id start him over anyone else we have. Hes one of the most steady in the SEC

He's steady but if your trying to pressure a defense he's not the answer. The younger guys are faster and have to be schemed for. A mixture is great. However, I wouldn't be surprised if his playing time dropped by 50%

bulldawg28
12-26-2017, 07:28 PM
His ability to block is very underrated

So is a TE. Teams that play man are killed by a back that gets involved In the passing game running routes. Aeris can't outrun a DL let alone a LB or safety.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 07:54 PM

It wouldn't surprise me either honestly. Assuming we actually have a legit competition for position and starting spots. Hill has the talent to be special. I could see him pushing Aeris to be even better too though so we'll see what happens.

Personally I would use a two running back system with both Aeris and Hill but I don't think Moorhead will do that. We'll see.

Bully13
12-26-2017, 08:04 PM
I just want to 17 UF & tsun up the A$$ so hard next year that they taste it in their mouth. that's all I care about right now.

bulldawg28
12-26-2017, 08:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me either honestly. Assuming we actually have a legit competition for position and starting spots. Hill has the talent to be special. I could see him pushing Aeris to be even better too though so we'll see what happens.

Personally I would use a two running back system with both Aeris and Hill but I don't think Moorhead will do that. We'll see.

We shall see. It's a good problem to have. I honestly don't think Penn State was as deep at Rb with all the options.

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 10:42 PM
We shall see. It's a good problem to have. I honestly don't think Penn State was as deep at Rb with all the options.

Absolutely. I think we have more talent on offense than Penn State and more depth now that the WR position has been upgraded.

Coach34
12-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Im just telling you I've seen him live, coached against him (in 7 on 7, yes I know its not a real game) he is a different kid. Im not saying he is gonna redshirt, he is extremely talented but Whop and Guidry are better right now. Now as far as who has the highest ceiling? It very well could be Heath, I'd say Whop will be better than both but thats just my opinion. Heath ran about 3 routes in high school for a JPS team. He didnt play very well in the MS/AL game and got a stupid penalty for running his mouth after a first down gain that hurt the team. He did look extremely good during practice all week before the game but he was running his mouth all week and he will even tell you he is gonna talk. I have no prob with it if you back it up, but getting a 15 yard penalty aint backing it up. Im all for the kid but Im just spitting facts

To a man- the MS team will tell you that Malik getting the penalty while showing the swagger and fire is what ignited them to win the game. He is a leader and will be a fiery leader type guy for us in the future

HoopsDawg
12-26-2017, 11:43 PM
To a man- the MS team will tell you that Malik getting the penalty while showing the swagger and fire is what ignited them to win the game. He is a leader and will be a fiery leader type guy for us in the future

I love that confidence as long as it doesn't become selfishness. Jeff Simmons fired up the team vs Bama when he took the chain out on em.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2017, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=HoopsDawg;863568]I love that confidence as long as it doesn't become selfishness. Jeff Simmons fired up the team vs Bama when he took the chain out on em.[/QUOTE

Malik will be fine. I love my WRs to have that attitude. Most of the best ones do

Todd4State
12-26-2017, 11:59 PM
I love that confidence as long as it doesn't become selfishness. Jeff Simmons fired up the team vs Bama when he took the chain out on em.

He started a fight against LSU and we kicked their ass too. Also even though we didn't beat Bama we came a lot closer than we had at any time in Dan's tenure except maybe 2014.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2017, 12:02 AM
He started a fight against LSU and we kicked their ass too. Also even though we didn't beat Bama we came a lot closer than we had at any time in Dan's tenure except maybe 2014.

Yep, I love it. Simmons talks the game but he backs it up. We've showed Bama too much respect in the past.

Ari Gold
12-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Whop to MSU is a pipe dream. Don’t know why we are still even thinking he will end up at State.***

Mutt the Hoople
12-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Is Malik "fiery", as in 'inspires others to improve their game and is a catalyst to get the offense moving", or is he "Fiery" like Dez Bryant, whining like a little bitch when he doesn't get targeted, only to either drop the pass or fumble, costing the team the game?

dawgday166
12-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Rice was nowhere like Irvin, Moss, and certainly not like TO. Those guys really don't belong in the same sentence as Rice.

Rice didn't say much during his early to mid playing days. He just worked like a madman and smoked someone's ass on Sunday. John Taylor was similar. Swann & Stallworth too.

Not saying some of the right kind of swag isn't good maybe, but TO or Dez Bryant swag hurts the team more than it helps them. Moss at times was like that too.

Tbonewannabe
12-27-2017, 10:52 AM

2014 was in Tuscaloosa but we were behind by 12 when we scored with 15 seconds left to pull within 5. That wasn't as close as this year but there were points in the game that could have changed it. This year was the first time in a long time that we actually physically beat them up. If Dan didn't go all conservative at the end then we could have won.

Bully13
12-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Was KT the main reason we got Whop? Were there any other things that helped us land him?