PDA

View Full Version : How in the heLL are the woman

parabrave
12-25-2017, 08:37 PM
ranked at #5. Have any of the voters watched them play? The smacked the 9 and 25 teams in the country and the closest margin of victory is 9. They most probably have the DPOTY if not the POTHY.

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 09:00 PM
They have 2 of the top 5 players in the country and both are playing out of their minds right now.

Homedawg
12-25-2017, 09:25 PM
They have 2 of the top 5 players in the country and both are playing out of their minds right now.

2 of the top 5? Wow. That's a stretch. But if it were true, we should fire Vic for not winning it w that much talent. Hyperbole preacher. Vv is good. McGowan is good. Ok very good. 2 of top 5? Slow down

Coach34
12-25-2017, 09:28 PM
UConn and ND always get the votes and SC has the best player in the nation still playing for them. No need for us to be ranked ahead of them until we beat them. Wilson > McCowan or VV

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 10:02 PM
2 of the top 5? Wow. That's a stretch. But if it were true, we should fire Vic for not winning it w that much talent. Hyperbole preacher. Vv is good. McGowan is good. Ok very good. 2 of top 5? Slow down

Name 5 better than either one

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 10:03 PM
UConn and ND always get the votes and SC has the best player in the nation still playing for them. No need for us to be ranked ahead of them until we beat them. Wilson > McCowan or VV

Now that Tori is playing more of a stretch 4 position here and Wilson are very similar players.

Coach34
12-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Now that Tori is playing more of a stretch 4 position here and Wilson are very similar players.

lmao- Wilson would asshammer VV in the post. She couldnt play her at all defensively- McCowan has to guard her and she cant because Wilson can face the basket and hit shots. I love our basketball team- but we dont have anybody as good as Wilson. It's not even a question

Cooterpoot
12-25-2017, 10:22 PM
We aren’t as athletic or deep as last year. That’s the only concerns I’ve got.

Intramural All-American
12-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Name 5 better than either one

Gabby Williams. A'Ja Wilson. Katie Lou Samuelson. Kalani Brown. Napheesa Collier. That's 5 right there. That's just ones that I know off the top of my head. Vivians is in no way, shape, or form a top 5 player in the country. Too inconsistent. McGowan has an argument if she keeps playing as she is. She's been dominant.

Coach34
12-25-2017, 11:07 PM
agreed- Viv is a volume shooter and very suspect on D. She is a good college player but there is talk she wont even make the WNBA and will have to play overseas. And that came straight from her family. They are prepared for that

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 11:14 PM
agreed- Viv is a volume shooter and very suspect on D. She is a good college player but there is talk she wont even make the WNBA and will have to play overseas. And that came straight from her family. They are prepared for that

She WAS a volume shooter. She is anything but that this year. She has completely transformed her game.

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Gabby Williams. A'Ja Wilson. Katie Lou Samuelson. Kalani Brown. Napheesa Collier. That's 5 right there. That's just ones that I know off the top of my head. Vivians is in no way, shape, or form a top 5 player in the country. Too inconsistent. McGowan has an argument if she keeps playing as she is. She's been dominant.

I could make a valid argument for or against any of those but one.

Intramural All-American
12-25-2017, 11:24 PM
I could make a valid argument for or against any of those but one.

You could make an argument that you agree with. You can't make an argument that anyone else in the country agrees with. Hence why 4 of those are 1st team all-americans. You are biased. Don't blame you, but you are.

Coach34
12-25-2017, 11:35 PM
VV from 3 vs decent teams:

Virginia- 3-9
USM- 2-4
Arizona State- 1-5
OK State- 1-4
Oregon- 5-8
Syracuse- 1-5

She is 13/36 vs decent teams- 36% which is an upgrade for her. We'll see how she holds up during the SEC. We have a good team. Good enough to beat SC and Tenn for the title? We'll see.

Liverpooldawg
12-25-2017, 11:59 PM

Wilson>McCowan ONLY if Wilson is allowed to run rampant with no threat of fouling out. In the games last year she could have pulled out an AK47 and mowed down the entire MSU team and there would have been no foul called.

Coach34
12-26-2017, 12:06 AM
Wilson>McCowan ONLY if Wilson is allowed to run rampant with no threat of fouling out. In the games last year she could have pulled out an AK47 and mowed down the entire MSU team and there would have been no foul called.

makes excuses all you want- the officiating wont be any different in Sville this year or in the NCAA Tourney than it was last year. She was CLEARLY the better player last year and it had nothing to do with officiating. Hopefully we have closed the gap some this year

She is a top 5 player in the country according to anybody that has watched basketball before. Give her the due she deserves,

Liverpooldawg
12-26-2017, 12:40 AM
makes excuses all you want- the officiating wont be any different in Sville this year or in the NCAA Tourney than it was last year. She was CLEARLY the better player last year and it had nothing to do with officiating. Hopefully we have closed the gap some this year

She is a top 5 player in the country according to anybody that has watched basketball before. Give her the due she deserves,

Wilson is a thug. Call those games straight up, especially the regular season one, and she fouls out. We win two of them, and maybe all of them. Take off your "neutral" internet cred glasses and put on some clear ones.

Intramural All-American
12-26-2017, 12:56 AM
Wilson is a thug. Call those games straight up, especially the regular season one, and she fouls out. We win two of them, and maybe all of them. Take off your "neutral" internet cred glasses and put on some clear ones.

Wow. That's a bit aggressive there. Wilson is the best basketball player in women's basketball. It's not on her that the refs did not call fouls against her. Take that out on the refs, don't call her out for no reason. That comment was out of line.

Liverpooldawg
12-26-2017, 01:46 AM
Wow. That's a bit aggressive there. Wilson is the best basketball player in women's basketball. It's not on her that the refs did not call fouls against her. Take that out on the refs, don't call her out for no reason. That comment was out of line.

BS. She is a thug and if the refs don't protect her she is no better than McCowan. I'm sick of "MSU fans" taking up for our opponents. Interesting that you take the ref's, and an opponent's, side against MSU. That says it all in my opinion. GTHOM! If that's not enough, you evidently are a TOFFEE. That CONFIRMS your obvious lack of intelligence. YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE!

msbulldog
12-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Pool is right about one thing that was POS refereeing in all the SC games last year.

klong-dog
12-26-2017, 08:45 AM
The refs were terrible in Columbia and still pretty bad in the SEC title game. Well in the final 5 mins for sure. NC game, we just played like shit. A bit a stretch to call Wilson a thug. Yeah it's frustrating as hell watching her celebrate on or asses each and every time we play them. I think we'll finally get them in the Hump though.

99jc
12-26-2017, 10:12 AM
The refs were terrible in Columbia and still pretty bad in the SEC title game. Well in the final 5 mins for sure. NC game, we just played like shit. A bit a stretch to call Wilson a thug. Yeah it's frustrating as hell watching her celebrate on or asses each and every time we play them. I think we'll finally get them in the Hump though.

Take Vivians one on one all day long.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Based on this responses in this thread, some of our fans will find a way to water down anything Mississippi State does. It is weak and pathetic.

Coach34
12-26-2017, 11:12 AM
You can love and support your team without sounding like a moron. A’ja Wilson is better at basketball than VV or McCowan. That’s just life. Doesn’t mean we can’t beat them this year-especially pith their PG tearing her ACL. But it does mean we have to find a way to slow her down. She is too physical for VV to guard and too quick for McCowan. Tough match-up for our team

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Take Vivians one on one all day long.

of course she would, she is 6'5" and Vivians is what 6'0"?? We're comparing two different positions. It is like comparing Michael Jordan to Hakeem Olajuwon. The comparison would be McCowan and Wilson and Wilson would win this all day long.

Coach34
12-26-2017, 11:34 AM
of course she would, she is 6'5" and Vivians is what 6'0"?? We're comparing two different positions. It is like comparing Michael Jordan to Hakeem Olajuwon. The comparison would be McCowan and Wilson and Wilson would win this all day long.

actually no. We have played VV at the 4 some this year- and Wilson plays the 4 for SC at times. That’s why she was dragged into the convo

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-26-2017, 11:39 AM
actually no. We have played VV at the 4 some this year- and Wilson plays the 4 for SC at times. That?s why she was dragged into the convo

ok...fine. We can't change the height difference though can we?

Intramural All-American
12-26-2017, 11:45 AM

I don't know why you are arguing right now. You just agreed that Wilson is better than both Vivians and McCowan. We all agree to that point, except preacher and the idiot liverpool. I think we have the better team, but they have the best player in the country. I expect us to beat them this year.

maroonmania
12-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Have some of you even watched a game from THIS year? She is shooting 54% from the field and 40% from the 3 point line. Dang, I wish we had a volume shooter like that on the men's team.

sleepy dawg
12-26-2017, 12:19 PM
ranked at #5. Have any of the voters watched them play? The smacked the 9 and 25 teams in the country and the closest margin of victory is 9. They most probably have the DPOTY if not the POTHY.

Ha ha... I laughed out loud at this: "Have any of the voters watched them play?". Do you really think the majority of the voters have any idea what they're doing? There is zero accountability for any AP or similar rankings. They don't care if they're accurate or not. I pretty much only look at computer rankings now to get a feel of how good a team is, with the only known exception for me being the CFP committee, who rely heavily on computer rankings for their decisions.

What's just as funny, or perhaps disappointing, is how many people still keep coming back to the AP rankings and using them as if they mean anything. They're a joke. Quit even acknowledging them. Any ranking system that doesn't have our girls at least 3rd is a joke right now.

bluelightstar
12-26-2017, 12:29 PM
BS. She is a thug and if the refs don't protect her she is no better than McCowan. I'm sick of "MSU fans" taking up for our opponents. Interesting that you take the ref's, and an opponent's, side against MSU. That says it all in my opinion. GTHOM! If that's not enough, you evidently are a TOFFEE. That CONFIRMS your obvious lack of intelligence. YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE!

Please enlighten us as to how she is a ?thug.?

Intramural All-American
12-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Ha ha... I laughed out loud at this: "Have any of the voters watched them play?". Do you really think the majority of the voters have any idea what they're doing? There is zero accountability for any AP or similar rankings. They don't care if they're accurate or not. I pretty much only look at computer rankings now to get a feel of how good a team is, with the only known exception for me being the CFP committee, who rely heavily on computer rankings for their decisions.

What's just as funny, or perhaps disappointing, is how many people still keep coming back to the AP rankings and using them as if they mean anything. They're a joke. Quit even acknowledging them. Any ranking system that doesn't have our girls at least 3rd is a joke right now.

UCONN is #1. No argument there.
Notre Dame is #2. Only loss is to #1 (UCONN). Beaten #4 (SC), #17 (Oregon State) and #21 (Michigan).
Louisville is #3 and undefeated. They've beaten current #10 (Oregon), #12 (OSU), and #21 (Michigan).
SC is #4. Only loss is to #2 (ND). Beaten #14 (Maryland) and #15 (Duke).
We are #5 and undefeated. Beaten #10 (Oregon) and #24 (Oklahoma State).

I just don't see how there is uproar in the rankings. The only one you could really argue about is SC, and they beat us 3 times last year so its understandable they would stay in front after only losing to #2. It will all work out as the season goes. By the way, we are #3 in the Coaches poll.

sleepy dawg
12-26-2017, 05:04 PM
UCONN is #1. No argument there.
Notre Dame is #2. Only loss is to #1 (UCONN). Beaten #4 (SC), #17 (Oregon State) and #21 (Michigan).
Louisville is #3 and undefeated. They've beaten current #10 (Oregon), #12 (OSU), and #21 (Michigan).
SC is #4. Only loss is to #2 (ND). Beaten #14 (Maryland) and #15 (Duke).
We are #5 and undefeated. Beaten #10 (Oregon) and #24 (Oklahoma State).

I just don't see how there is uproar in the rankings. The only one you could really argue about is SC, and they beat us 3 times last year so its understandable they would stay in front after only losing to #2. It will all work out as the season goes. By the way, we are #3 in the Coaches poll.

Certainly valid points, and it is a bit early to get upset about it, but the AP and Coaches poll will still never be accurate since there is no reason for them to be accurate and zero accountability. Also, you're selling us short. You're basis for top 25 teams is based on the system we're already saying is garbage. We have a much better resume than that. Arizona State probably deserves to be top 25. Green Bay is probably top 15 worthy (AP will never give them credit). Syracuse is also very good, not to mention the 2 you have listed for us. plus, we have a few more wins than everyone but Louisville.

UCONN deserves #1 right now, no question. After that MSU, Notre Dame, Baylor, and SC could all be argued for to me. If you're looking at who you've played, where you've played, wins/losses, as well as margin of victory though for all those teams, then its hard for me to not see MSU as #3.

I use this website to make it easy to compare resumes as well as looking at the scores of each game and the quality of opponent for that game:
https://www.masseyratings.com/cbw/11590/ratings

Coach34
12-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Have some of you even watched a game from THIS year? She is shooting 54% from the field and 40% from the 3 point line. Dang, I wish we had a volume shooter like that on the men's team.

she wont keep those numbers thru SEC play.

Coach34
12-26-2017, 05:55 PM

because she plays tough, hard, in your face basketball for an opposing team that beat us

Intramural All-American
12-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Certainly valid points, and it is a bit early to get upset about it, but the AP and Coaches poll will still never be accurate since there is no reason for them to be accurate and zero accountability. Also, you're selling us short. You're basis for top 25 teams is based on the system we're already saying is garbage. We have a much better resume than that. Arizona State probably deserves to be top 25. Green Bay is probably top 15 worthy (AP will never give them credit). Syracuse is also very good, not to mention the 2 you have listed for us. plus, we have a few more wins than everyone but Louisville.

UCONN deserves #1 right now, no question. After that MSU, Notre Dame, Baylor, and SC could all be argued for to me. If you're looking at who you've played, where you've played, wins/losses, as well as margin of victory though for all those teams, then its hard for me to not see MSU as #3.

I use this website to make it easy to compare resumes as well as looking at the scores of each game and the quality of opponent for that game:
https://www.masseyratings.com/cbw/11590/ratings

Yea I?m not gonna argue with that at all. Again, I personally feel like we should be higher, but I just think, like you said, that each team has arguments for them. That to me makes it seem like he rankings aren?t absurd, it?s just impossible to rank 5 teams in the top 3. As you say, though, rankings in general are garbage. They are only present to stir debate.

Liverpooldawg
12-26-2017, 07:03 PM

On the court man. She plays like a bull in a china shop when she is allowed to. She was allowed to in all three games last year.

sleepy dawg
12-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Yea I?m not gonna argue with that at all. Again, I personally feel like we should be higher, but I just think, like you said, that each team has arguments for them. That to me makes it seem like he rankings aren?t absurd, it?s just impossible to rank 5 teams in the top 3. As you say, though, rankings in general are garbage. They are only present to stir debate.

We'll just have to agree to agree then.

Ezsoil
12-27-2017, 08:17 PM
The UCONN 5 aren't shit....Gabby Williams is ok but Katie Lou "choke flopping" Samuelson can't sniff Vivians panties this year....Vivians is playing efficient quality basketball. Wilson is the best player in the country but I don't think any team is playing as well as MSU now ..... and as Danbury gets into rhythm, you are adding a Dillingham type defender.

CarolinaDawgs
12-27-2017, 09:10 PM

HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS SUCH A BIG STATE FAN!!!

Also, an idiot.

Coach34
12-27-2017, 09:28 PM

Also, an idiot.

Couldn't have said it any better

Liverpooldawg
12-28-2017, 12:34 AM

Also, an idiot.

She was allowed to act like a bull in a china shop. Anyone who disagrees is NOT a MSU fan. The guy I was responding to is a freaking TOFFEE. Surely you don't care to lump yourself in with THAT?

Liverpooldawg
12-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Couldn't have said it any better

34 agrees with a TOFFEE! YEP! Says it all that does!

ScoobaDawg
12-28-2017, 12:43 AM
34 agrees with a TOFFEE! YEP! Says it all that does!

Go enjoy some candy with yourself for a few days...

CarolinaDawgs
12-28-2017, 12:46 AM
She was allowed to act like a bull in a china shop. Anyone who disagrees is NOT a MSU fan. The guy I was responding to is a freaking TOFFEE. Surely you don't care to lump yourself in with THAT?

I have highlighted and emboldened the key word. Get mad at the refs you jackass. Do better.