PDA

View Full Version : UCLA baseball coach gets big raise

bully99
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Saw where the UCLA baseball coach may become the highest paid coach in college baseball ...over a million a year thru 2025. Said USC offered him over million. Has. Cohen gotten a raise?

msstate7
09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Well ucla's coach showed em how to do it

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
That happened a couple of months ago. USC was trying to get him away from UCLA and it turned into a bidding war. Savage used to be an assistant coach at USC.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Well ucla's coach showed em how to do it

If we had Stratton or a healthy Woodruff, we are the National Champs. But, if if's, and's or but's were candy and nuts- we would all have a Merry Christmas.

We're still building in some regards- even last year.

msstate7
09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Does ucla get any fan support at all? Seems that's a lot of money for a coach in a sport that doesn't generate much money for the school. Was that payday about pride with USC?

msstate7
09-30-2013, 09:45 PM
If we had Stratton or a healthy Woodruff, we are the National Champs. But, if if's, and's or but's were candy and nuts- we would all have a Merry Christmas.

We're still building in some regards- even last year.

I agree Todd. I'd even say if we had a lindgren with his head right. Lindgren self-destructing was a huge blow

engie
09-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Correct on all.

And there's no way that the school actually earns enough in baseball to pay Savage -- but may in their new tv contract for baseball.

Schools are going to start breaking down how much value each sport actually brings to the TV contracts. I'm betting SEC baseball's value will be SIGNIFICANT with the new network.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Does ucla get any fan support at all? Seems that's a lot of money for a coach in a sport that doesn't generate much money for the school. Was that payday about pride with USC?

Not very much. None of the PAC 12 teams get a ton of support compared to the SEC. They're competing with the Dodgers and the Angels,and in February- the Lakers and Clippers. In Omaha, UCLA had by far the smallest contingent of fans.

That said, I'm sure their alumni and fans knew they won the CWS- and losing Savage to USC would be a huge PR blow.

They are good out there because there is a ton of developed talent out in California. Especially as far as pitchers go.

bully99
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Big difference in a million in Starkvegas and California. Contract thru 2025. Limit in Mississippi is 4 years.

Dawg61
09-30-2013, 11:51 PM
UCLA won because they exploited a flaw in the college game right now with the dead bats. They intentionally threw high strikes to get the batter to hit the ball in the air. There was only 3 homeruns in the entire World Series. Any other time period in college or pro baseball history if you throw 88mph fastballs as high strikes you will get destroyed by the hitters.