PDA

View Full Version : We are 8th in the country in defense (basketball)

Dawg61
12-24-2017, 07:40 PM
2016-17 135th
2015-16 188th

It's tough to see the improvement when we are pretty bad on offense but Howland got his name from defense at Northern Arizona, Pitt and UCLA. Gotta keep reminding myself this. We are 11-1 and none of us thought we'd beat @Cincy. Patience young Jedis. I need it most.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwjuUePCBrdU0JG/giphy.gif

Irondawg
12-24-2017, 08:18 PM
I would need to compare this to the offensive ranking of our opponents. I?ve seen some really good defensive teams at MSU and I don?t think this is one of them.

By the end of the year I think we will end up an average defensive team. We arent bad there but we aren?t a top 20 defensive team either I don?t think

BeardoMSU
12-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Patience young Jedis.

Basketball threads are full of runny-nosed Padawans....Jedi's, few there are...***

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/717/903/ba5.gif

Liverpooldawg
12-24-2017, 10:19 PM
We are better on defense than we have been. Take that for what it?s worth.

Quaoarsking
12-24-2017, 10:40 PM
According to Kenpom, which takes SOS into account we are the 27th best defense. That's improved from 71st last year and 93rd in Howland's first year. This is a significant improvement. I hope it holds up.

MCsMGs
12-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Does that mean we could see you in that dress after all?

Just funnin' with ya man! But thanks for posting...after last night, I needed a little boost myself. The last 5 minutes or so of that game my wife said I was getting "that look" in my eyes that scares her. LOL!

Dawg61
12-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Does that mean we could see you in that dress after all?

We have ten games vs the seven, Florida, Kentucky, aTm, Auburn, Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee.

preachermatt83
12-25-2017, 12:01 AM
2016-17 135th
2015-16 188th

It's tough to see the improvement when we are pretty bad on offense but Howland got his name from defense at Northern Arizona, Pitt and UCLA. Gotta keep reminding myself this. We are 11-1 and none of us thought we'd beat @Cincy. Patience young Jedis. I need it most.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwjuUePCBrdU0JG/giphy.gif

Good post.

Matt3467
12-25-2017, 10:30 AM
We haven't played anyone except Cincinnati yet and lost that one. I think our extremely weak schedule is giving many false hope. We've got talent but we're not a good team.

Cooterpoot
12-25-2017, 10:51 AM
This team isn’t much better, if any, than the last couple. They won’t make post season play. This ***** ass schedule helps us none.

Jacksondevildog
12-25-2017, 11:52 AM
The idea, Im sure, was to front load the non-conference with easy wins to build fan excitement. The exact opposite has happened. The team has somewhat struggled with inferior competition while compiling an 11-1 record. Apathy has set in because fans see an improved SEC league this year. We need to start out 2-0 in league play with the Hogs in Starkville and Ole Miss in Oxford. Unfortunately, I see us 0-2 in these. This team has zero identity. No alpha dog. Goes in scoreless spurts. Limited inside play. Ado will get 3 fouls before the under 12 minute media timeout in conference play. Our (lottery pick) PG has regressed into a backup role and his shot is off. The problem isnt effort. They play hard. They just arent very good as a unit and the goal is to score more than the opponent. We will struggle with that in two weeks. Merry Christmas.

WSOPdawg
12-25-2017, 11:55 AM
We have ten games vs the seven, Florida, Kentucky, aTm, Auburn, Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee.

Substitute Arky for Florida and you've got the 7 that you said were going to skull**** us. Dawg61 on 12/23 said "Auburn, aTm, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama are all going to skull**** us" while in the same thread claiming "Bookmark my post. We won't get 1 win vs those seven teams and it's because Howland hasn't prepared us to play them."

Damn I hope we smoke Arky the 1st game in the Hump!!! Merry Christmas to all my Bulldog brethren.

TALL DAWG
12-25-2017, 03:08 PM
#8? We should be #1 on defense with our schedule thus far.

Dawg61
12-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Substitute Arky for Florida and you've got the 7 that you said were going to skull**** us. Dawg61 on 12/23 said "Auburn, aTm, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama are all going to skull**** us" while in the same thread claiming "Bookmark my post. We won't get 1 win vs those seven teams and it's because Howland hasn't prepared us to play them."

Damn I hope we smoke Arky the 1st game in the Hump!!! Merry Christmas to all my Bulldog brethren.

Oh my fault you're correct we won't beat Arkansas either. That's eight teams not seven.

BeardoMSU
12-25-2017, 03:42 PM
#8? We should be #1 on defense with our schedule thus far.

You are aware how young we are, yes?

WSOPdawg
12-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Oh my fault you're correct we won't beat Arkansas either. That's eight teams not seven.

Have a little faith, brother. No team goes through the season playing EVERY game like they are the next coming of Michael Jordan's 72-10 Chicago Bulls. Kentucky looked like sh!t against UCLA a few days ago and got beat. Mizzou looked like sh!t against Illinois a few days ago and got beat.

Howland's crew will have good games where they are all knocking down 3's and will have games where they couldn't throw a shell in the ocean if standing on the beach 3 feet from the water's edge. Have a little faith.

TALL DAWG
12-25-2017, 07:07 PM
You are aware how young we are, yes?

Sure, but with the highly rated players we have coupled with our extremely
soft schedule thus far...

MCsMGs
12-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Sure, but with the highly rated players we have coupled with our extremely
soft schedule thus far...

You forgot to mention the low basketball IQ...

Not sure if that applies more to our players or our fan base. ****

Dawg61
12-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Have a little faith, brother.

Alright hope they surprise the hell outta me