PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Thoughts after watching us live

Coach34
12-23-2017, 09:58 PM
1. Lamar Peters is the best PG we have and it's not close. He is quicker, he makes great passes, he penetrates to create offense. It's not even close- BUT - His shot is off right now. It's too flat from 3. He's inconsistent from the FT line. He needs to be working overtime to get that worked out. We know he can shoot better than that. Carter and the Spoons arent real PG's- we need Peters playing more. The offense is much smoother with him in the game.

2. Little Spoon will get there- but his freshman ways show. Long way to go defensively- especially on rotations. He has talent but just needs to grow and get experience. Didn't look like a North Carolina level recruit to me. Big shot from the corner with the game on the line late. Moves more like a 2 than a PG to me

3. Q Spoon is in no way an NBA-level talent. He is just a good college basketball player- and that's ok. His toughness getting the offensive board down the stretch was huge. Needs to play around the paint more and use that thick body of his

4. Stapleton is just one of those guys you need. He will look like shit at times and then get rolling. Just who he is. High energy tough guy we need because we get none of that from the post.

5. Holman is a good Stretch 4. And thats all well and good for a team that has a good 5- we dont. He needs to attack the basket more for this team. It is what it is.

6. Ado has talent he is just weak and unlearned. The Dirty Birds are terrible in the post- and Ado was able to make a couple of post moves to score. But he is still weak and inexperienced. His Jr and Sr years he will be a good college basketball player.

This team is not terrible and plays decent defense- but just doesnt click. I hate the label as much anything- but this team is YOUNG. We have 3 JR's and the rest and Sophs and Freshman. Thats why you have the moving screens and inconsistency. Q is struggling with out having IJ Ready to set him up- Carter and Little Spoon arent ready yet to do PG things in major college basketball.

We need an 8 man rotation:

Start- Peters, Spoons, E, and Ado then mesh Carter, X, and Datcher.

I hate to say it- but we are still a year away from making any noise.

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2017, 10:20 PM
The fact is we aren’t a good basketball team. It sucks so many years after we got rid of our problem but it’s the truth.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 10:21 PM
The fact is we aren’t a good basketball team. It sucks so many years after we got rid of our problem but it’s the truth.

Stansbury quit. When will you about this?

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2017, 10:27 PM

Dude, that was a long time ago. We suck NOW. What are we going to do about it? We have players that have regressed since they got here. Peters isn’t half the player he was last year. Q isn’t either, and he was hurt last year. Herrod has gone down. Only Holman has improved. Dribbling around the perimeter for a while and then jacking up a three, and not crashing the offensive boards, is in no semblance a half court offense.

Coach34
12-23-2017, 10:28 PM

Stands was fired- our guys were tired of the drama and the national perception of dysfunction in our program. They made a terrible hire in RR- just as we did in football with Croom- and wasted valuable time. We are on the right road- but we still have a very young basketball team. 10 players on our roster are Soph's or Freshmen. Teams with that make-up typically dont win big.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Dude, that was a long time ago. We suck NOW. What are we going to do about it? We have players that have regressed since they got here. Peters isn’t half the player he was last year. Q isn’t either, and he was hurt last year. Herrod has gone down. Only Holman has improved. Dribbling around the perimeter for a while and then jacking up a three, and not crashing the offensive boards, is in no semblance a half court offense.

You have me confused with someone that is happy with the basketball program right now

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Stands was fired

You don't get to sleep on your decision when you're fired. He quit.

Coach34
12-23-2017, 10:38 PM

Neither did he

Irondawg
12-23-2017, 10:42 PM
I don?t think our problems are entirely youth related. I think we having a coaching and/or competitive fire issues.

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2017, 10:42 PM

He was fired man. Everybody in the dang world that cares, except you, knows this. You can stand on a technicality if that helps you sleep.

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2017, 10:43 PM
I don?t think our problems are entirely youth related. I think we having a coaching and/or competitive fire issues.

Yep.

Coach34
12-23-2017, 10:46 PM

I agree- something isnt clicking but youth is certainly a part of it.

But you have Ado who is a freshman and inexperienced- 5 turnovers tonight. He just isnt ready to be that 5 for us we need to be good. He should be our bench guy.
Peters shooting woes are crazy considering what he did as a true freshman
Datcher is young and does a solid job- but is certainly a bench player
Carter can shoot but he is not bigtime by any means- and is a Soph

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 10:53 PM
He was fired man. Everybody in the dang world that cares, except you, knows this. You can stand on a technicality if that helps you sleep.

I don't give a shit. You're the one that made this comment " It sucks so many years after we got rid of our problem".

Bothrops
12-23-2017, 11:04 PM
They aren't inspired. Play like they dont like playing basketball. Can we get D. Williams on the staff?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2017, 11:38 PM
They aren't inspired. Play like they dont like playing basketball. Can we get D. Williams on the staff?

See I don't agree with this. If they weren't inspired our defense wouldn't be as good as it is. When teams are uninspired their defense is usually atrocious.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Howland is struggling to define a rotation, define roles, and define playing time. Back when were very good, each player knew their defined role. It makes everything a little disjointed.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Howland is struggling to define a rotation, define roles, and define playing time. Back when were very good, each player knew their defined role. It makes everything a little disjointed.

The biggest problem with this team is Lamar Peters. His absence and inability to shoot the basketball has really messed the development of this team up.

Not only did he miss 3 games for being an idiot, but he can’t shoot the basketball right now. It’s forcing us to limit his minutes and move guys around in order to compensate. Tough to do in general, but with a young group that hasn’t been together long, makes it even tougher.

Red Sox Dawg
12-24-2017, 10:35 AM
I think one of the main factors is we don’t have that sure fire leader. No one takes the lead to be the alpha that holds people accountable and pushes them harder. Gets after them when they loaf. We need that guy that pushes the others. We have talent, just need to develop a leader and some chemistry. I think their potential is much higher than their current performance.

boot
12-24-2017, 11:16 AM
We don’t have a big who you can get the ball down to and score it. It forces all of our guards to wrecklessly crash the basket and turn the ball over, or we just pass it around and jack up a three. Our defense is actually really solid, but it’s on Howland to put players on the floor with some chemistry. Our only hope for our team offensively is to be a transition team, and push the ball down the court and try to get a numbers advantage. Let’s not give up on this team yet.

Ari Gold
12-24-2017, 11:51 AM
We have to fix the locker room. I Know that has been addressed and hopefully it’s getting better
I don’t give a **** who we have played . We are 11-1. Maybe we should have schedule Wofford to help our RPI.
We have done exactly what we had to do so far before conference play. NO bad losses.
If Lamar gets right he we will make some noise
Nick Spoon is going to be special. Prob the best perimeter defensive player on the team. Says a lot for a freshman . Good basketball IQ for a freshman too
If Lamar gets right it will only help Q . Takes him off Point duty.
Tyson just needs to keep knocking down shots
Ado keep improving offensively, He makes a big difference in the middle for us on D
Holman has been soild all year on both ends
Stapleton will win some games for us like he did last night
And we need soild minutes from Eli and Datcher and maybe Herard can give us help a game or 2

CBH will find a good rotation with the lineup come League play. Depth we actually have a little.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2017, 12:19 PM
We need an 8 man rotation:

Start- Peters, Spoons, E, and Ado then mesh Carter, X, and Datcher.

This.

Dawg61
12-24-2017, 12:50 PM
This.

He could write down a recipe for Japanese sushi as long as he said "8 man rotation" and you'd say "this". You got so excited you didn't even notice Eli Wright didn't make his list.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2017, 12:51 PM
He could write down a recipe for Japanese sushi as long as he said "8 man rotation" and you'd say "this". You got so excited you didn't even notice Eli Wright didn't make his list.

lol, true.

pilldawg
12-24-2017, 02:25 PM
lol, true.

In my view it doesn?t look like Howland has really focused on the offensive end of the floor. I feel like once we settle in with a rotation and put in more offensive sets that we will be a decent basketball team. Right now it looks like Howland is trying to establish a defensive mindset with the team and let everyone know that defense comes first or you ride the pine.

MCsMGs
12-24-2017, 05:02 PM
In my view it doesn?t look like Howland has really focused on the offensive end of the floor. I feel like once we settle in with a rotation and put in more offensive sets that we will be a decent basketball team. Right now it looks like Howland is trying to establish a defensive mindset with the team and let everyone know that defense comes first or you ride the pine.

I can assure you from having watched a practice, looking at a play list and seeing the team run through offensive sets, that this isn't even close to reality.

louisvilledawg
12-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Dude, that was a long time ago. We suck NOW. What are we going to do about it? We have players that have regressed since they got here. Peters isn?t half the player he was last year. Q isn?t either, and he was hurt last year. Herrod has gone down. Only Holman has improved. Dribbling around the perimeter for a while and then jacking up a three, and not crashing the offensive boards, is in no semblance a half court offense.

To be fair, Herard wasn't any good last year- wouldn't say he's regressed from being bad a year ago.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-27-2017, 11:41 AM
I hate to say it- but we are still a year away from making any noise.

Also this just in...water is wet.*

DonDon
12-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Peters playing like he is right now will lead him to staying another year. With the talent we'll have returning and the current class coming in, we could be a very dangerous team next year. We're not as bad this year as some of you think. We've lost 1 game so far is all. Yeh, we've played a cupcake schedule BUT I've seen us lose many of those same games in the past. Relax, watch the games and have fun.

msstate7
12-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Why is Q playing point when peters is not in? Seems we would be getting nick work at the point bc we have zero PGs committed, peters seems too volitile to count on being here next season, and we just are not very good with Q at the point

Dawg61
12-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Why is Q playing point when peters is not in? Seems we would be getting nick work at the point bc we have zero PGs committed, peters seems too volitile to count on being here next season, and we just are not very good with Q at the point

I want a look at Tyson at PG. He's the best driver and shooter on the team. He seems to have the highest basketball IQ and I think his game shows flashes of Steph Curry at Davidson. I have a very high opinion of Tyson Carter's potential. This puts him defending the other PG and a stronger player for us defending who Carter was before. Nick is shorter than Tyson but a far superior defender and can handle going against a taller player.

Lance Harbor
12-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Has Herard done anything?

Lord McBuckethead
12-27-2017, 03:57 PM
IF Peters would show just a little patience with his drive and shot, he would improve drastically. There is a time to push it and a time to kick it out. He has to learn to stay under control. At least 25% of his time in every game I have watched he gets himself painted into a corner and results in turnovers and easy transition points the other way.

Lord McBuckethead
12-27-2017, 03:58 PM
He cannot catch the ball. What is it with our bigs and their inability to catch and make a move with the ball maintaining possession?