PDA

View Full Version : There is nobody at the bham bowl

preachermatt83
12-23-2017, 01:57 PM
It's embarrassing

MetEdDawg
12-23-2017, 02:17 PM
There is going to have to be something done about the bowl structure. There’s no way that game makes money. So many sponsor changes in all these bowls because there isn’t money to be made in the lower ones.

I don’t know how to fix it because it’s hard to go back up the path after we’ve gone so far down it. I think a some point there has to be a conversation about only teams with 7 wins making bowl games.

TheRef
12-23-2017, 02:41 PM
There is going to have to be something done about the bowl structure. There’s no way that game makes money. So many sponsor changes in all these bowls because there isn’t money to be made in the lower ones.

I don’t know how to fix it because it’s hard to go back up the path after we’ve gone so far down it. I think a some point there has to be a conversation about only teams with 7 wins making bowl games.

The Birmingham Bowl is an ESPN-owned event. Actually, most bowls are owned by ESPN.

Rejlector84sports
12-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Actually, most bowls are owned by ESPN.

Most of the lower tier bowls were started by ESPN to create programming for the network during the post-season. If you check out the listing on Wikipedia it shows that almost all the bowls played outside of the three to four days around New Years are all either failed private bowls bought by ESPN Events or started by them. If we think the crowd sucks in B'ham I wonder who will be at the next game (San Diego State [west coast] vs Army [east coast] in Dallas.

Token Bammer
12-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Legion Field has a lot to do with it. It's a dump. When Birmingham gets a venue worth playing football in, people will come.

MetEdDawg
12-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Legion Field has a lot to do with it. It's a dump. When Birmingham gets a venue worth playing football in, people will come.

This too. Growing up in the area and living here now, that place sucks to go to. It's been a dump for a long time and it's not in a really great area that anyone wants to go to. Downtown is starting some revitalization and there are some greatly improved areas you can go to. If they can find a way to get another stadium in a favorable location like that it will bring a lot of folks back to the area for games.

Rejlector84sports
12-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Another annoying thing in this game is that 17ing bell ringing on every good Tech play. Thousands of cowbells ringing in unison is soothing, that bell is just cring-worthy. Hey Raiders spend some money and get a bell choir.

BTW just saw a shot from Dallas -- much better crowd there....

Rejlector84sports
12-23-2017, 03:45 PM
find a way to get another stadium in a favorable location

There should be a smaller stadium for UAB built on campus or closer to Regions Field. A stadium bigger than Tulane's Yulman and UCF's field would be perfect for the Blazers and this bowl game.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Why is would I care how many people are at the Birmingham Bowl?

I know I get to watch a college football game today whereas if they got rid of the bowl I would not.

If these games were losing money, then the wouldn't exist. Ticket sales are nice, but these bowls are still worth quite a bit of money due to unrivaled TV slots that everyone watches

I'll never understand why people complain about more college football this time of year

Token Bammer
12-23-2017, 04:06 PM
There should be a smaller stadium for UAB built on campus or closer to Regions Field. A stadium bigger than Tulane's Yulman and UCF's field would be perfect for the Blazers and this bowl game.

They only need a stadium to hold roughly 3 dozen people. That way all the UAB fans will have a place to sit for home games.

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Why is it embarrassing?

I remember when we played in that bowl in 1981.

TheRef
12-23-2017, 05:01 PM
They only need a stadium to hold roughly 3 dozen people. That way all the UAB fans will have a place to sit for home games.

UAB averaged 26K attendance per game at home. That number led C-USA by exactly 6,000 over #2 attendance. Their record for single-game was also broken this year on the season opener with 45,212 attendance.

Sooooo...definitely need more than your "roughly 3 dozen people"

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7iqlfhS5StaaUfmZ8-umlw.png

Coach 57
12-23-2017, 05:18 PM
It’s sad because both teams played hard and an incredible game from both teams.

DogsofAnarchy
12-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Most of the lower tier bowls were started by ESPN to create programming for the network during the post-season. If you check out the listing on Wikipedia it shows that almost all the bowls played outside of the three to four days around New Years are all either failed private bowls bought by ESPN Events or started by them. If we think the crowd sucks in B'ham I wonder who will be at the next game (San Diego State [west coast] vs Army [east coast] in Dallas.

Stadium is pretty full. You were saying?

DogsofAnarchy
12-23-2017, 05:25 PM

I went when Auburn played Memphis and it was jam packed in the pouring rain.

Token Bammer
12-23-2017, 06:18 PM
UAB averaged 26K attendance per game at home. That number led C-USA by exactly 6,000 over #2 attendance. Their record for single-game was also broken this year on the season opener with 45,212 attendance.

Sooooo...definitely need more than your "roughly 3 dozen people"

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7iqlfhS5StaaUfmZ8-umlw.png

Lol!!!!

I went when Auburn played Memphis and it was jam packed in the pouring rain.

Aubarn.

RocketDawg
12-23-2017, 06:19 PM
The Birmingham Bowl is an ESPN-owned event. Actually, most bowls are owned by ESPN.

If that's the case it may not last much longer then, given their financial troubles. I agree ... why even have that bowl, and actually any of the others that have played through today? It's certainly not breaking anywhere even, and only causes the price of Bad Boy mowers (never heard of them until last night) to be higher. ** And Gasparillas too, whatever they are ....

The Armed Forces Bowl seems to have a little better attendance but it's probably only about 30% of capacity.

RocketDawg
12-23-2017, 06:23 PM

But who would pay for a stadium? You're probably talking a couple hundred million to build from scratch (given that our last expansion was about $75M as I recall). Just keep using Legion. Or let UAB play in UAT's stadium. They're only 60-70 miles apart.

Token Bammer
12-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Or let UAB play in UAT's stadium. They're only 60-70 miles apart.

Hell would freeze before this happened.

RocketDawg
12-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Hell would freeze before this happened.

But why? They don't compete with one another, and in fact are the same school.

Bothrops
12-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Think that's bad, what about the one in Montgomery? That's like having one in Jackson, but with even less to do and see.

TUSK
12-24-2017, 01:29 PM
1) Legion Field is not only a dump... It's in a really bad area of B'ham.... Think Christmas in Somolia, Haiti, or Jackson, MS (with less to do).....
2) Token's hyperbolic comment re: UAB having 36 fans reminds me very much of the comments I see here re: USM and their ~10-12 fans...
3) Bowls: Waaaaaay too many, IMO. Outside of the playoffs, I usually only find Top 25 matchups/9 win teams interesting (I realize I'm in the minority)...

Offshore Dawg
12-24-2017, 11:16 PM
I can't carry enough ammo to get near that area, and I lived in B'ham for two years.