PDA

View Full Version : so, why do recruiting rankings in Basketball not translate

gravedigger
12-23-2017, 01:06 PM
the way everyone expects them to in football?

Shouldnt we be final four material RIGHT NOW?

Is Howland a bad coach?

Do highly ranked recruiting classes not normally win it all?

dawgs
12-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Is Howland a bad coach?

I mean, we’ve recruited well but we haven’t been consistently top 10. And basketball is such small classes, it really sways things if you sign 2 guys instead of 4. And you can’t really argue natty winning teams like duke, unc, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. don’t recruit well.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Rick Ray was a disaster.

HoopsDawg
12-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Is Howland a bad coach?

Malik Newman and Mario Keglar were 2 of our highest rated signees. Neither are on the team now. We are also 1 of only 3 teams in D1 to not have a senior.

parabrave
12-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Three letters AAU.

MCsMGs
12-23-2017, 01:53 PM
We are also 1 of only 3 teams in D1 to not have a senior.

I'm of the opinion that this is our issue. That class of 7 highly rated players looks good on paper, but we really don't have a "on floor" leader. Q and Aric, our two jrs are playing well, but they just don't have that "I'm taking over this game" mindset...yet. It's really not good to have to bring in 7 players in one year, unless you can bring in a bunch of top 20 guys. As good as that class was/is, it's not like Kentucky, Duke, etc that are playing 5+ top 20 recruits. Big difference in that level of talent.

No one wants to hear it, but I'm thinking next year is when we really see a major step up.

MetEdDawg
12-23-2017, 01:53 PM
I actually agree with the OP here. It?s year 3 and there isn?t anything related to Rick Ray on the floor for us right now. This team should look better than it has. 10-1 should be the worst we were at to this point against this competition (Yes Stephen F Austin is a good opponent but it should have been a win and it was). So the team for me is currently at the level of expectation.

With this talent, we shouldn?t be struggling offensively like we have. I get we haven?t lost a bad one yet, but we looked helpless against Cincy and if not for a significantly improved defense we are probably 8-3 or 7-4 right now instead of 10-1. I?m shocked at how much we struggle to put the ball in the hoop.

Hope we turn it up in conference play. Expectation is 12-1 going into conference play. Need 10 conference wins probably to sniff the NCAA Tournament which means we are going to have to score more points.

Irondawg
12-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Very simply the rankings are wrong. Hard to get good evaluation on prospects against no defense in aau and it?s impossinle to evaluate basketball iq most of the times in those settings

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Is Howland a bad coach?

I think the biggest problem is fans see a bunch of top 100 players & equate it to having top 100 players in football. Top 100 in football is equal to about top 30 in basketball. We've signed very few top 30 players. Another problem is that Top 10 class. It was top 10 because we signed 7 players but none of those 7 were elite. They were all good college talent kids who could eventually lead us to big things but we saw top 10 & fans mind immediately went to Duke, KY, & Kansas level classes & they aren't. Those classes consist of 4-5 guys in the top 30. This team is getting better but the ranking skewed perception so everyone assumed quick fix & it's not.

confucius say
12-23-2017, 05:34 PM
There are some tough decisions that have to be made and howland either won't make them or is waiting to make them.

missouridawg
12-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Everyone seems to forget about our youth. If we were signing one and done players, we’d be better, but our talent ain’t there. We still don’t have any seniors and the bulk of our minutes come from true freshman and sophomores. No one wants to hear “patience”...but that’s what Howland needs. He is recruiting our program back to relevancy... he was just left a completely bare cupboard with 3graduating seniors in his first season.