PDA

View Full Version : Our final 2 non conference basketball opponents

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 11:05 PM
got beat today by a combined 105 points. Nice schedule Ben.

msstate7
12-22-2017, 11:26 PM
It sucks every day I check the sec scoreboard that I see interesting games being played by sec teams considering who we play. Our schedule is an abomination

TaleofTwoDogs
12-23-2017, 01:57 AM
And the one team we played that did have a pulse, we got bombed. Not good.

Bothrops
12-23-2017, 08:03 AM
And the one team we played that did have a pulse, we got bombed. Not good.

We have beaten one very solid team in SFA.

Cooterpoot
12-23-2017, 09:03 AM
I’ve lost interest in MSU basketball, as has a large chunk of our fan base. It’s sucked so long it’s hard to really care anymore.

Bully13
12-23-2017, 10:34 AM
When you're able to pull off an 8 plus minute stretch with no bucket against little rock, I'd say this OOC schedule was a good fit.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 11:35 AM
We have beaten one very solid team in SFA.

I've watched SFA three times this year. They are legit. If you put them in the SEC this year I think they win around 8-9 games. Kevon Harris for them can really play and he's only a sophomore. Wish Howland could get him to transfer here he'd start for us.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4067858/kevon-harris

TheRef
12-23-2017, 11:44 AM
SFA beat LSU at LSU and lost to Mizzou at Mizzou by only 1. I'd say that SFA has a pulse and will make the tourney this year.

thf24
12-23-2017, 12:27 PM
I?ve lost interest in MSU basketball, as has a large chunk of our fan base. It?s sucked so long it?s hard to really care anymore.

I realize our schedule is weak, but can we hold off on the Chicken Little bullshit until we're losing games to teams other than ranked ones playing at home on a 30+ game home win streak? We're 8-1 for ****'s sake and we're barely though 1/3 of the season.

And we get it already. Most of you are fair weather fans and our team doesn't deserve your attention until we're in the Final Four. No need to keep saying it.

msstate7
12-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Delete

Bully13
12-23-2017, 12:36 PM
I realize our schedule is weak, but can we hold off on the Chicken Little bullshit until we're losing games to teams other than ranked ones playing at home on a 30+ game home win streak? We're 8-1 for ****'s sake and we're barely though 1/3 of the season.

And we get it already. Most of you are fair weather fans and our team doesn't deserve your attention until we're in the Final Four. No need to keep saying it.

If you've paid attention year to date, you're in for a rude awakening. and the sad thing that will be evident is that when compared to our SEC suckdom will in no way mirror our crooting ratings. what I'm seeing thus far is the biggest waste of hoops talent that's been seen in a while.

BrunswickDawg
12-23-2017, 12:38 PM
When has our OOC schedule ever been strong? 1-2 years under Stans we went and got our asses kicked in the Bahamas or NY - resulting in our players fighting in the stands. I remember at least 3 seasons our shitty OOC schedule (or shitty losses during our OOC) kept us out of the NCAAs.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 12:46 PM
If you've paid attention year to date, you're in for a rude awakening. and the sad thing that will be evident is that when compared to our SEC suckdom will in no way mirror our crooting ratings. what I'm seeing thus far is the biggest waste of hoops talent that's been seen in a while.

You keep focusing on our offense and our struggle to shoot but completely ignore we are a top 15 team in the country on defense. We have made massive improvements in defense this year with the additions of Nick and Ado. Top 15 outta 350 teams. We are number 5 in the country in least fouls. That might sound like a stupid stat but it's really not. We play great defense without fouling. That's pretty rare. I haven't looked but I doubt any of those other top 15 defensive teams are also top 5-10 in least fouls.

Our schedule is a disaster though and really unacceptable by Howland. I kinda use Tennessee as a barometer for where MSU and Howland should be at minimum comparable to right now. They have a very similar situation to us going on in basketball. They got a new coach same time we did. Both teams had shit rosters when the new coach came in. Both hired established veteran coaches with big names. Both schools have been around .500% first two years but now that we are in year 3 they have stepped up with their scheduling and our ranked 21 right now. They have played Villanova, NC State, Purdue, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest OOC. We have played Cincinnati and SF Austin. Howland's OOC scheduling must get way way better moving forward. No excuses.

thf24
12-23-2017, 12:55 PM
You keep focusing on our offense and our struggle to shoot but completely ignore we are a top 15 team in the country on defense. We have made massive improvements in defense this year with the additions of Nick and Ado. Top 15 outta 350 teams. We are number 5 in the country in least fouls. That might sound like a stupid stat but it's really not. We play great defense without fouling. That's pretty rare. I haven't looked but I doubt any of those other top 15 defensive teams are also top 5-10 in least fouls.

This, and also if our backcourt gets back to the percentages they shot last year, which isn't unreasonable to expect sooner or later, our offense suddenly looks a whole lot better.

But no, we suck because we don't appear to our armchair coaches to play at the level of textbook offensive excellence necessary to have a chance in conference games on the way to 8-1 so far this year. Might as well just mark every game from here out as a loss since we're obviously horrible and have zero chance of improvement.

Commercecomet24
12-23-2017, 01:00 PM
I know one thing that?s a fact. To build championship caliber teams in any sport you build defense first. Fans love offense but defense ultimately is the difference in contenders and pretenders.

WPDawg
12-23-2017, 01:00 PM
some you people need to relax more. there is no victory for the rest of us in listening to the daily crusade of finding something wrong with one of our athletic programs. Where does Elite Dawg come in to play?

I know, I know...."its a message board and I can Bitch if I want to....". But really, are there people here who think they know more about scheduling than our HC and Athletic Dept? Kudos to those who have the time to worry about such things.

Just seems the allure to this board is to cause a train wreck or enjoy the carnage. Curious....what percentage of viewers to this board are MSU fans and how many are not?

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 01:11 PM
some you people need to relax more. there is no victory for the rest of us in listening to the daily crusade of finding something wrong with one of our athletic programs. Where does Elite Dawg come in to play?

I know, I know...."its a message board and I can Bitch if I want to....". But really, are there people here who think they know more about scheduling than our HC and Athletic Dept? Kudos to those who have the time to worry about such things.

Just seems the allure to this board is to cause a train wreck or enjoy the carnage. Curious....what percentage of viewers to this board are MSU fans and how many are not?

Our OOC schedule is ranked 344th. That is unacceptable. People come to elite dawgs to talk MSU sports which mostly means gripping cause we can't do it in our day to day lives talking amongst real life acquaintances. This is our avenue to vent.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ztiZa4eICWGs/giphy.gif

Coach34
12-23-2017, 01:23 PM
If we had scheduled tougher, we wouldnt be 10-1 right now. Our SEC schedule will get us where we need to be if we win games in conference. The SEC has the 2nd strongest RPI right now.

Save the bitching when we start losing because we have no low post game

HoopsDawg
12-23-2017, 01:29 PM

Our RPI is 78. SF Austin is 58 despite 2 losses and the fact that we beat them. That's b/c our schedule is atrocious. Yes, I think I know more about scheduling than our HC b/c this is embarrassing. USM has a 239 RPI and North Florida is 3-10 so it's only going to go down after these next 2 games. Don't forget we also played North GA which counts as an exhibition game for RPI purposes.

HoopsDawg
12-23-2017, 01:30 PM
If we had scheduled tougher, we wouldnt be 10-1 right now. Our SEC schedule will get us where we need to be if we win games in conference. The SEC has the 2nd strongest RPI right now.

No, you don't put together this schedule if your goal is the NCAAT. We would have to go 10-8 in the conference to make the NIT.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 01:36 PM

You'd be the leader in roasting Stansbury if he ever scheduled an OOC as bad as 344th. I like Howland but this OOC scheduling can't ever happen again.

Coach34
12-23-2017, 01:36 PM
depends who we beat. We have 8 games vs top 40 RPI teams left. Thats plenty

Coach34
12-23-2017, 01:39 PM
You'd be the leader in roasting Stansbury if he ever scheduled an OOC as bad as 344th. I like Howland but this OOC scheduling can't ever happen again.

Howland is in year 3 and trying to have a winning record. Stands wasnt. A winning record had to happen 1st and foremost. A tougher schedule would have meant more losses because of our weakness and inexperience in the post.

I think we are a 7-11 SEC team and none of this will matter come March

WPDawg
12-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Ok, I am game for your rationale from a HC standpoint. You are the HC at end of 2016/2017 season and working in the early summer setting teams to play. Explain the thought process you would use to determine the 2017/2018 scheduling and how that helps develop your team for success over next 2 years 2017/2018 and 2018/2019. I enjoy the nuts and bolts of how decisions are determined. Not looking for a quick response 1 sentence answer. Give plenty of detail.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 04:15 PM
We can still be 10-1 and not have the 344th ranked OOC schedule. Schedule teams ranked 80-150 on Kenpom and we'd have a much much better SOS. Fact is Howland has failed to get our NCAA tourney resume ready and has failed to get us ready to compete in the SEC. Auburn, aTm, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama are all going to skull**** us. We have zero shot vs those teams because Howland hasn't spent the last two months getting us ready to play them. He's been babying our players like always and it doesn't do them any good. It's not complicated. Howland babies his players and that includes lying to them about how good they are by scheduling a joke OOC schedule so they can be 12-1 headed into the SEC gauntlet. When you baby players you get spoiled brats like Newman, Kegler, Peters, Eli and Singleton. You also get players that don't improve one bit like Herard. I keep telling y'all this but to get the best outta your team you have to be the type of personality that they don't really like you all the time. Nobody likes their strength coach while they are lifting weights. You aren't supposed to. Until Howland can get a little more Bobby Knight in him we are just going to be walking through the motions in basketball.

WSOPdawg
12-23-2017, 04:36 PM
We can still be 10-1 and not have the 344th ranked OOC schedule. Schedule teams ranked 80-150 on Kenpom and we'd have a much much better SOS. Fact is Howland has failed to get our NCAA tourney resume ready and has failed to get us ready to compete in the SEC. Auburn, aTm, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama are all going to skull**** us. We have zero shot vs those teams because Howland hasn't spent the last two months getting us ready to play them. He's been babying our players like always and it doesn't do them any good. It's not complicated. Howland babies his players and that includes lying to them about how good they are by scheduling a joke OOC schedule so they can be 12-1 headed into the SEC gauntlet. When you baby players you get spoiled brats like Newman, Kegler, Peters, Eli and Singleton. You also get players that don't improve one bit like Herard. I keep telling y'all this but to get the best outta your team you have to be the type of personality that they don't really like you all the time. Nobody likes their strength coach while they are lifting weights. You aren't supposed to. Until Howland can get a little more Bobby Knight in him we are just going to be walking through the motions in basketball.

That's just damn 17'n dumb!!!! I don't call posters out hardly ever but this statement Dawg61 is nothing but foolish.

I expect a split with Auby, Arky, UT, Mizzou & Bama, which is 5-5 but even if we go 4-6 against these 5, that not a SKULL****. Throw in the TCUN & Vandy games (3-1 or 4-0) and you're looking at 8 SEC wins. Not that impressed with UGA and LSU, that could be 2 more. We're not the SKULL**** fodder we've been the last 5+ years.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 04:52 PM
That's just damn 17'n dumb!!!! I don't call posters out hardly ever but this statement Dawg61 is nothing but foolish.

I expect a split with Auby, Arky, UT, Mizzou & Bama, which is 5-5 but even if we go 4-6 against these 5, that not a SKULL****. Throw in the TCUN & Vandy games (3-1 or 4-0) and you're looking at 8 SEC wins. Not that impressed with UGA and LSU, that could be 2 more. We're not the SKULL**** fodder we've been the last 5+ years.

Bookmark my post. We won't get 1 win vs those seven teams and it's because Howland hasn't prepared us to play them.

Coach34
12-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Bookmark my post. We won't get 1 win vs those seven teams and it's because Howland hasn't prepared us to play them.

Ohhhhh- we need a bet like Cowbell9 and I had back in 2006. Loser wears a dress into the Hump. (I let him out of it for a case of beer tho)

WSOPdawg
12-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Dawg61 not sounding like himself -- I think he's been hacked.

We start out hosting Arky before going on the road to Oxford. I can easily see us 2-0 before we head down to Gainesville that brings us back to reality.

TALL DAWG
12-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Ohhhhh- we need a bet like Cowbell9 and I had back in 2006. Loser wears a dress into the Hump. (I let him out of it for a case of beer tho)

Totally unacceptable we didn?t schedule at least 1 or 2 roads BEFORE we
we showed up in Cinny!

msstate7
12-23-2017, 06:46 PM

We start out hosting Arky before going on the road to Oxford. I can easily see us 2-0 before we head down to Gainesville that brings us back to reality.

If you put any credence in ESPN FPI, we are more likely to be 0-2 than 2-0. We are predicted to lose both by about 60%

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 07:01 PM

I got your dress picked out. We won't win one single game vs those 7 teams I listed.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pGt87ffkTEU/hqdefault.jpg

mparkerfd20
12-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Dawg61 is right for 1 time in his life. This basketball team is still very bad.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Dawg61 is right for 1 time in his life. This basketball team is still very bad.

https://fabulous500.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/jimmy-chitwood.jpg?w=640

mparkerfd20
12-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Reality will hit just how bad we are about 2 games into the conference schedule.

MoreCowbell
12-23-2017, 09:44 PM

This response is what I was referring to the other day when I made that thread titled ?It all makes sense now?. I get it, it?s bad to watch, but it?s effective. We?re an ugly, grind it out, defensive team but we will be solid. We will finish top half of SEC this year and then will compete for the overall SEC championship next year, watch.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 09:50 PM
We will finish top half of SEC this year and then will compete for the overall SEC championship next year, watch.

https://cdn.someecards.com/posts/boy-steal-chips-reaction-uWR.jpg

MoreCowbell
12-23-2017, 10:01 PM
https://cdn.someecards.com/posts/boy-steal-chips-reaction-uWR.jpg

We’ll see

Bully13
12-25-2017, 12:23 AM
It makes no sense to bitch about the OOC schedule when you also think we'll suck real hard during SEC play.

Dawg61
12-25-2017, 12:37 AM
It makes no sense to bitch about the OOC schedule when you also think we'll suck real hard during SEC play.

The purpose of the OOC schedule is to get you prepared to play the SEC schedule and to get your resume right for the NCAA tourney. You don't get better when you don't challenge yourself.

Coach34
12-25-2017, 09:19 AM
The purpose of the OOC schedule is to get you prepared to play the SEC schedule and to get your resume right for the NCAA tourney. You don't get better when you don't challenge yourself.

We were very challenged vs Southern Miss. They led by 4 with 5 mins left in the game

Ari Gold
12-25-2017, 10:35 AM
St Bonnie W over Syracuse
Wooford W over Unc
Ball state W over ND
Loyola IL W over Fla
All of these on the home court.
I’m sure there are many more those are just off the top of my head

Yes our schedule has been far from tough
But again ZERO BAD loses and 11 wins so far. The SEC is stronger overall in hoops this year but let’s pump the breaks it’s not football.
Win some road games , pull a couple of upsets, and take care of business at home and come end of Feb things may get interesting.

So everyone ****ing be happy. With the players we have , what’s coming in everyone should be really excited about hoops.
****ing Aub fans are dying to be good, they sell that ****ing place out every game and haven’t done anything NCAA wise yet. So get your ****ing complaining asses to the hump .

Merry Christmas

Coach34
12-25-2017, 10:46 AM
It’s not like we lost to Rider or anything. We have 8 top 40 RPI games coming up

tcdog70
12-25-2017, 11:19 AM
We will win 10 Sec games. Ben will settle into a set lineup and Peters will get his shit together.

MCsMGs
12-25-2017, 12:59 PM
St Bonnie W over Syracuse
Wooford W over Unc
Ball state W over ND
Loyola IL W over Fla
All of these on the home court.
I’m sure there are many more those are just off the top of my head

Yes our schedule has been far from tough
But again ZERO BAD loses and 11 wins so far. The SEC is stronger overall in hoops this year but let’s pump the breaks it’s not football.
Win some road games , pull a couple of upsets, and take care of business at home and come end of Feb things may get interesting.

So everyone ****ing be happy. With the players we have , what’s coming in everyone should be really excited about hoops.
****ing Aub fans are dying to be good, they sell that ****ing place out every game and haven’t done anything NCAA wise yet. So get your ****ing complaining asses to the hump .

Merry Christmas

Thank you!

Merry Christmas!

smootness
12-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Reality will hit just how bad we are about 2 games into the conference schedule.

I think it will be the opposite. People will go 'Hmmm, we're not as bad as I thought. We may actually be pretty good.'

raymond21
12-25-2017, 07:52 PM
We were very challenged vs Southern Miss. They led by 4 with 5 mins left in the game

USM got beat by 53 points against FSU

Coach34
12-25-2017, 09:20 PM
USM got beat by 53 points against FSU

So what? WE- Mississippi State- were challenged by them. Down 4 with 5 mins left to go.

WSOPdawg
01-02-2018, 11:09 PM

Where you at, Dawg61? Time to break that 17'n purple-a$$ dress out you posted.

smootness
01-02-2018, 11:12 PM
I think it will be the opposite. People will go 'Hmmm, we're not as bad as I thought. We may actually be pretty good.'

Told ya.

Dawg61
01-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Where you at, Dawg61? Time to break that 17'n purple-a$$ dress out you posted.

https://media.giphy.com/media/RNctqpnWiXZ7i/giphy.gif

Glad you're enjoying me being wrong as much as I am. Hail State boys!!

msstate7
01-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Told ya.

I think we are better than I have given us credit for, but wanna see a few more games. We have a brutal 3 game stretch: at OM, at Florida, and auburn

HoopsDawg
01-03-2018, 12:05 AM
I think we are better than I have given us credit for, but wanna see a few more games. We have a brutal 3 game stretch: at OM, at Florida, and auburn

Yes, and Arkansas is a good matchup for us bc they like to get up and down. It's the half court games that scare me.

MoreCowbell
02-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Bump @Dawg61

Coach34
02-20-2018, 08:58 PM
lol@ the angry bump