PDA

View Full Version : Baseball guys

BuckyIsAB****
12-22-2017, 04:31 PM
What is the difference between us and UF? I'd like to think between MSU, UF, Vandy, LSU, Arky, USCe and OM we have been the most consistent programs in the conference. But UF has been to Omaha SIX out of the last EIGHT years, been to 3 in a row, won the natty last yr. They cant touch us in facillites, I think our fanbase is much better. Whats the difference? Recruiting? I think both of us recruit nationally, yall explain

vv83
12-22-2017, 04:33 PM
I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I think it's getting guys to campus

msstate7
12-22-2017, 04:34 PM
They have better players

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 04:34 PM
well last year it was pitching and their ability to get some pretty high draft picks to attend school. Canny has already closed the gap and it's just a matter of time before we are an annual national seed.

preachermatt83
12-22-2017, 04:38 PM
I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I think it's getting guys to campus

T H I S ! ! !

BuckyIsAB****
12-22-2017, 04:47 PM

How do we get our guys to campus

ShotgunDawg
12-22-2017, 04:54 PM
A couple of things:

1. Florida has far better in-state talent which leads to more loyalty from most of their recruits.
2. They have a proven track record of helping kids increase their draft prospects which makes it more likely they will turn down 1 mil + signing bonuses out of HS.
3. Florida has the best coaching staff in America which is full of guys with professional baseball experience that are excellent evaluators. They have had a ton of staff stability
4. Florida has the Bright Futures schollie program which helps them win scholarship amount battles.
5. Florida is a warm weather year around state that allows them to easily sell kids from the North to come play for them (Shore, Puk, Buddy Reed)
6. Florida & Vanderbilt have created a brand of being the elite offer in America

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 05:33 PM
How do we get our guys to campus

Just sign a bunch of them and hope that 2 or 3 make it to school. There is data out there that suggests your chance of making it to MLB is enhanced by going to college.

The Federalist Engineer
12-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Lots of great points made above....one thing about UF is that they were early movers into recruiting 2.0 with pro scout coaches. They get very good players to campus and they have good run of very limited pitching injuries. That?s why they are in the championship series with regularity. We are doing recruiting 2.0 now

But you look at pre-Cannizzaro recruiting classes, we don?t compare at all. Also, UF doesn?t have Wipe-out years like us. We signed only 1 high school pitcher last year. Last year Gridley was the only starting 2014 recruiting class member.

The Federalist Engineer
12-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Last year they had a freshman pitch the NC winning game. The kid was 8.5 PG rated player. I don’t like the UF coach but the guy is doing awesome work

Todd4State
12-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Just sign a bunch of them and hope that 2 or 3 make it to school. There is data out there that suggests your chance of making it to MLB is enhanced by going to college.

I'm not sure that our problem so much is getting guys to campus. I think it's getting the juniors drafted past the 15th round to come back.

Florida is kind of apples and oranges to us because of the sheer amount of talent in that state. They can lose a ton of juniors and still be OK. Players from Mississippi tend to be raw and need to be developed. Florida can sell the things that Shotgun talked about. We can sell our tradition, facilities, and coaching. We're probably the most similar to LSU than either Florida or Vanderbilt.

The good news is we have a coaching model similar to Florida and LSU now with Cann and Gautreau- and as a result I believe we have four Under Armour All-Americans committed which is a record for us. You have to have the MLB scouting connections to have a legit shot at a NC- which is something we now have.

Todd4State
12-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Lots of great points made above....one thing about UF is that they were early movers into recruiting 2.0 with pro scout coaches. They get very good players to campus and they have good run of very limited pitching injuries. That?s why they are in the championship series with regularity. We are doing recruiting 2.0 now

But you look at pre-Cannizzaro recruiting classes, we don?t compare at all. Also, UF doesn?t have Wipe-out years like us. We signed only 1 high school pitcher last year. Last year Gridley was the only starting 2014 recruiting class member.

We also relied way too much on JUCO's and that was hit or miss for us.

Cann's classes have a lot more balance to them. And the JUCO guys that we're signing are more "role" type players that can come out of the bullpen or they are high end JUCO transfers like Gunner Halter who started out at a power five school before transferring.

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure that our problem so much is getting guys to campus. I think it's getting the juniors drafted past the 15th round to come back.

Florida is kind of apples and oranges to us because of the sheer amount of talent in that state. They can lose a ton of juniors and still be OK. Players from Mississippi tend to be raw and need to be developed. Florida can sell the things that Shotgun talked about. We can sell our tradition, facilities, and coaching. We're probably the most similar to LSU than either Florida or Vanderbilt.

The good news is we have a coaching model similar to Florida and LSU now with Cann and Gautreau- and as a result I believe we have four Under Armour All-Americans committed which is a record for us. You have to have the MLB scouting connections to have a legit shot at a NC- which is something we now have.

nah, I want our guys going pro after their junior years.

HaggardDawg
12-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Doesn?t florida have a lottery that helps supplement the scholarship limitations?

Todd4State
12-23-2017, 01:04 AM
nah, I want our guys going pro after their junior years.

You want a couple of guys that are senior leaders on the team. You're basically saying you wouldn't want a player like Cody Brown on the team. Having senior experience can be very valuable on a SEC team- LSU always seems to have some on their team. Especially if it's a guy that is a top 20 round pick type talent. More often than not those guys play like top 10 round guys as seniors.

Our team was a SR team last year. What would we have been with Zac Houston, Austin Sexton, and Jack Kruger back as seniors? Probably in Omaha and maybe even back to back SEC champs.

Thrill1
12-23-2017, 02:10 AM
Easy as this: Dominant arms and lots of them.

Bully13
12-23-2017, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't expect any major changes as long as there's several schools that can get guys to turn down 1st & 2nd round money while we apparently can not.

BuckyIsAB****
12-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Easy as this: Dominant arms and lots of them.

I think we have that this year

dsudawg
12-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Think about the lineup we would have had with those 3 players coming back. Pilkington, Sexton, and Houston as your weekend starters. Rooker, Mangum, and Brown in the OF. Kruger at either 1B or C with Lovelady as a backup. Stovall, Gridley and even Alexander filling out the rest of the infield with Mac and Vansau at DH. With those bats in the lineup, we could afford to leave Alexander at 3B because of his defense. You could also move some of those players around due to injury to Stovall. Our pitching injuries wouldn't have affected us nearly as bad as they did and you're right, we probably go to Omaha and possibly win it all.