PDA

View Full Version : Something about this recruiting class...

preachermatt83
12-22-2017, 03:17 PM
...that I think is under appreciated. As I looked through the height and weight of these kids I noticed how much bigger they are than what we've been recruiting. Absolutely huge!

preachermatt83
12-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Mullen spent 9 years trying to find the next Percy Harvin and it left us with 90 percent of our receivers having to play the slot. Now we've got some legit sized receivers.

Statecoachingblows**
12-22-2017, 03:21 PM
I’d like to also play the character card. With all the sudden changes they could have easily written off any attempt by the new staff but they didn’t. They honored their commitment which is not a guarantee these days even without turning over an ENTIRE staff. Kudos to these men, and kudos to the new staff.

Spiderman
12-22-2017, 11:12 PM
I?d like to also play the character card. With all the sudden changes they could have easily written off any attempt by the new staff but they didn?t. They honored their commitment which is not a guarantee these days even without turning over an ENTIRE staff. Kudos to these men, and kudos to the new staff.

I'd say Mullen's "lack" of recruiting was directly tied to character kids.

The only recruits in 9 years with a question mark were Evans, James, and Simmons.

Evans got tossed, because Mullen wasn't a Freeze type and wouldn't "Haiti" him to save face, James stuck it out and grew up and was never a problem here, Simmons has been a choir boy so far, team leader, 4.0 gpa, and not one incident.

Say what you want, but I bet Mullen was the top of HC's in the SEC with the least off the field problems. I really believe that's why we had the run with him we had.

I hope it stays that way.

bulldawg28
12-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Mullen spent 9 years trying to find the next Percy Harvin and it left us with 90 percent of our receivers having to play the slot. Now we've got some legit sized receivers.

Mullen is the reason for the WR's in this class. He recruited them all and they committed under his tenure.

Gutter Cobreh
12-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Mullen is the reason for the WR's in this class. They realized when he left that they'd have a chance to flourish.

FIFY

Leroy Jenkins
12-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Mullen is the reason for the WR's in this class. He recruited them all and they committed under his tenure.

Yet none went to UF with him.... or even decommitted.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 12:22 AM

That you Gonzo? If they liked the Muffin man so much they woulda followed him to Florida.

Fred Garvin
12-23-2017, 04:10 AM

The only recruits in 9 years with a question mark were Evans, James, and Simmons.

Evans got tossed, because Mullen wasn't a Freeze type and wouldn't "Haiti" him to save face, James stuck it out and grew up and was never a problem here, Simmons has been a choir boy so far, team leader, 4.0 gpa, and not one incident.

Say what you want, but I bet Mullen was the top of HC's in the SEC with the least off the field problems. I really believe that's why we had the run with him we had.

I completely agree with this. I don’t things think we as fans acknowledged enough how good the chemistry was on Mullen’s teams. We hardly ever saw any public spats between teammates. And our guys were pretty good citizens. Nothing more than typical college-age hijinks. And those that went too far were effectively dealt with.

RocketDawg
12-23-2017, 08:24 AM
I completely agree with this. I don’t things think we as fans acknowledged enough how good the chemistry was on Mullen’s teams. We hardly ever saw any public spats between teammates. And our guys were pretty good citizens. Nothing more than typical college-age hijinks. And those that went too far were effectively dealt with.

Agree, and I feel pretty confident that approach will continue under Moorhead.

bulldawg28
12-23-2017, 08:47 AM
That you Gonzo? If they liked the Muffin man so much they woulda followed him to Florida.

Not really. He exposed them to everything MSU is and could be. Mullen is a gigantic reason these guys even considered MSU. Hate on him all you want but he laid the foundation and built the house Moorhead is living in.

bulldawg28
12-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Yet none went to UF with him.... or even decommitted.

Why would they? Mullen had already sold them on MSU?

PonderThis2
12-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Why would they? Mullen had already sold them on MSU?

It wasn't Mullen that sold them. It was Pat Austin. Especially with Malik.

Dawg61
12-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Hate on him all you want I plan on it. Especially cause it drives the Stansbury clan oops I meant Don Muffin fans crazy.

bulldawg28
12-23-2017, 11:40 AM
I plan on it. Especially cause it drives the Stansbury clan oops I meant Don Muffin fans crazy.

I hear ya

bulldawg28
12-23-2017, 11:41 AM
It wasn't Mullen that sold them. It was Pat Austin. Especially with Malik.

Ok

shoeless joe
12-23-2017, 12:58 PM

This is 1000% accurate. What gets me is how folks do not realize how this works directly in to SOME of the questionable playing time situations, including the most discussed (jRob).

This is what I appreciated the most under Mullen and the #1 thing that I hope Moorhead has the same approach with.

Bothrops
12-23-2017, 01:11 PM
I think we had three 4* players go to 3* after committing to us. Some of the lower rated guys haven't budged despite having great seasons. Like Cumbest at 83...lol

SmokeyDawg
12-23-2017, 01:24 PM
This is 1000% accurate. What gets me is how folks do not realize how this works directly in to SOME of the questionable playing time situations, including the most discussed (jRob).

This is what I appreciated the most under Mullen and the #1 thing that I hope Moorhead has the same approach with.

Croom also laid that foundation and another reason why Moorhead was the perfect fit. Hard nose, blue collar work ethic; his players play hard for him and he gets the most out of them.

BuckyIsAB****
12-23-2017, 01:46 PM

James got punched in the nose by Dak Prescott for not running wind sprints

shoeless joe
12-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Croom also laid that foundation and another reason why Moorhead was the perfect fit. Hard nose, blue collar work ethic; his players play hard for him and he gets the most out of them.

I'm not an avid croom hater...but this is a common misconception. Croom did run some guys off early but once he realized the pressure to win in 07 he wasn't near the disciplinarian that people wanted to believe. Some key guys were given some major slack which manifested into some of the things that triggered the 08 downfall.

Again, this is why I have respect for how Mullins ran the program. He was a real disciplinarian That held guy's accountable both on and off the field. He didn't use it as a crutch or an excuse.

SmokeyDawg
12-23-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm not an avid croom hater...but this is a common misconception. Croom did run some guys off early but once he realized the pressure to win in 07 he wasn't near the disciplinarian that people wanted to believe. Some key guys were given some major slack which manifested into some of the things that triggered the 08 downfall.

Again, this is why I have respect for how Mullins ran the program. He was a real disciplinarian That held guy's accountable both on and off the field. He didn't use it as a crutch or an excuse.

I can see that being a misconception of Croom but your view of Mullen is a little inflated. He did a good job of keeping things in the clubhouse

shoeless joe
12-23-2017, 06:58 PM
I can see that being a misconception of Croom but your view of Mullen is a little inflated. He did a good job of keeping things in the clubhouse

Agree...accountability should be in house. The one time the punishment actually was done in the public eye, Simmons, it ended up being a joke and making all involved look bad.

Spiderman
12-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Sorry, but Croom's locker room was never as tight, and he took some trouble makers. Crooms last year, that team was divided into 3 groups.

He canned a bunch of Jackie's problems, but brought in some of his own

SmokeyDawg
12-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Excuse my selective memory of the Croom era

Todd4State
12-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Sorry, but Croom's locker room was never as tight, and he took some trouble makers. Crooms last year, that team was divided into 3 groups.

He canned a bunch of Jackie's problems, but brought in some of his own

Out of curiousity what were the three groups?

MoreCowbell
12-23-2017, 09:54 PM

I agree, great point.

BiscuitEater
12-23-2017, 10:40 PM

Whop says .. ?nope!?

Bubb Rubb
12-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Whop says .. ?nope!?

Jason committed under Mullen a long time ago. He just wanted to keep it quiet. And we are grown are men....so I'm not calling him whop.

Offshore Dawg
12-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Sometimes boys and occasional girls it could be as simple as the following.

MSU = Culture of Family
TSUN = Culture of Corruption