PDA

View Full Version : Cohen hires a VB Coach

mparkerfd20
12-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Not normally big news, but as bad as our VB team has been hopefully Cohen got it right on this one. Looks like another hell of a hire. http://www.djournal.com/sports/darty-named-msu-volleyball-coach/article_b4955008-5ac8-5d6d-888a-8a660c370120.html

Tbonewannabe
12-22-2017, 11:41 AM
She seems like a great hire. I don't know anything about volleyball other than what little I played in intramurals but reading over that seems like she has a great mixture of experience. I know recruiting is a big issue with MSU since MS probably produces zero SEC level players. Hopefully she can remedy that.

preachermatt83
12-22-2017, 12:56 PM
The former coach had an incredible resume'.. in just not sure we can win at volleyball. We need to have a gymnastics team. That is on every of the fastest growing things in ms. There are tons of gym talent in our state.

ShotgunDawg
12-22-2017, 01:00 PM
MSU football used to be a coaching graveyard but MSU volleyball has firmly taken its’ place.

Bothrops
12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Tough state to recruit volleyball players.

BankerDog
12-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Fatch had a great resume but came from a weaker conference. All of his players hated him and he had 2/3 of his team transfer after the season last year. I dated a girl that was on the team his first year and she absolutely hated him; as did the whole team.

Saltydog
12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Schools have only begun playing v'ball in the last few years and it's not a sport of emphasis or great popularity. Just not enough interest or talent in this State to be competitive in that sport.

MCsMGs
12-22-2017, 01:37 PM
I think there is talent in MS that we should be able to build a program with. Seems like a lot of very talented young women are choosing volleyball over basketball these days. As preacher said above, volleyball and gymnastics are fast growing sports these days and we are conspicuous by our absence in them.

Doggie_Style
12-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Tough state to recruit volleyball players.

Recruiting is certainly a challenge but it can be done...just takes the right person. Volleyball is such a great sport and almost all schools with excellent athletic programs are competitive in the sport. Final four this year: Nebraska, Florida, Penn State, Stanford

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-22-2017, 03:16 PM
I think Miss. could be a good state for volleyball talent. Everyone likes volleyball at that age. It's a fun game to play. A good way to get the ball rolling would be for our coach and his assistants to spend some time promoting it through the high schools and taking the time to actually have some coaching clinics to teach the basics of coaching. This would help possibly sparking interest throughout the high schools and entrenching our coaches with the high schools and its coaches when/if they produced some prospects. It won't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere.

dickiedawg
12-22-2017, 06:45 PM
The new coach should be able to pull some talent out of Florida, whereas the last two coaches have seemingly focused mostly on Texas.

I could be off base on the number of players from Texas as I?ve not paid a whole lot of attention. Regardless, you?re not getting D1 players from MS.

civildawg
12-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Pics?

MCsMGs
12-22-2017, 06:56 PM
The new coach should be able to pull some talent out of Florida, whereas the last two coaches have seemingly focused mostly on Texas.

I could be off base on the number of players from Texas as I?ve not paid a whole lot of attention. Regardless, you?re not getting D1 players from MS.

There is a girl from the coast that is playing at Purdue(toughest conference for women's VB in country) right now and I understand she could have gone wherever she wanted. Another on scholarship at Tulane and another that went to South Alabama not too long ago that went to Europe and played pro for a while, so I wouldn't say there none in MS.

Dawg61
12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Add a beach volleyball program and a men's soccer team

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Pics?

LOL

RocketDawg
12-22-2017, 08:16 PM
How much do we pay volleyball coaches?

MCsMGs
12-22-2017, 08:36 PM
LOL

Don't laugh at him...a lot of those women VB players are thoroughbreds.

RocketDawg
12-22-2017, 08:50 PM

This particular one fills that bill ... pretty easy on the eyes.

HoopsDawg
12-22-2017, 08:53 PM

I'm laughing with him, not at him.

Homedawg
12-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Add a beach volleyball program and a men's soccer team

Men's soccer is never going to happen. Title 9 and no reason to piss away more money on a money sucking program

Diggs
12-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Like the others have said, last coach had a great pedigree he just lost the team.

There is plenty enough talent in this State for a team. Great sport, I’ve enjoyed watching it grow over the years. What I really want us to see is some D1 beach volleyball.