PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Front

thf24
12-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Since we're supposedly going back to more of a 4-3 alignment under Shoop, anyone familiar with what he does on defense have any insight as to where guys like Sweat, Spencer, and Green will line up? Seems to me like they're all better suited for DE in a 4-3, but that would leave us awfully thin at LB in the upcoming year.

smootness
12-21-2017, 08:22 PM
They'll likely play DE, which is basically where they played this year.

We still have Lewis, Thompson, Gay, Washington, and then Dunning at LB. And Kilby-Lane should be able to play right away. Not real deep, but we should be fine.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 08:24 PM
They'll likely play DE, which is basically where they played this year.

We still have Lewis, Thompson, Gay, Washington, and then Dunning at LB. And Kilby-Lane should be able to play right away. Not real deep, but we should be fine.

Really hope we see a big improvement from Leo. He had a disappointing year

IMissJack
12-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Since we're supposedly going back to more of a 4-3 alignment under Shoop, anyone familiar with what he does on defense have any insight as to where guys like Sweat, Spencer, and Green will line up? Seems to me like they're all better suited for DE in a 4-3, but that would leave us awfully thin at LB in the upcoming year.

Does this affect Sweat's decision for next year?

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Green can play OLB. Spencer seems a bit thicker and slower, so may be a DE. But Green can absolutely still play true OLB in a 4-3. We have way more depth at 4-3 DE than we do OLB

Coursesuper
12-21-2017, 09:11 PM
I don't think we will see a strict 4-3, we will see a multiple defense depending on down distance what other teams are doing protection wise.

maroonmania
12-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Don't forget about Rivers as well. That dude was going to be a starting DE for us until he was declared ineligible.

Coach34
12-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Sweat Simmons C. Thomas Spencer
Adams Hoyett Brown/Autry Rivers
Odom Harris

Green Thompson Gay
Lewis Dunning Washington

msstate7
12-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Odom Harris

Green Thompson Gay
Lewis Dunning Washington

That dline is legit.

Is autry expected to be a player?

Commercecomet24
12-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Odom Harris

Green Thompson Gay
Lewis Dunning Washington

That?s stout.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Odom Harris

Green Thompson Gay
Lewis Dunning Washington

Oh and surely Kobe jones cracks the rotation

Coach34
12-21-2017, 10:18 PM
yeah[- forgot about Jones

But this is why we are a preseason Top 12 football team in 2018. That defensive front and its depth- along with a really good OL.

Top 3 Defensive Line in the SEC
Top 3 Offensive Line in the SEC
Top 3 SEC QB

Thats means top tier SEC team = Top 12 in the country football team

Madisonmd
12-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Rivers is the "wildcard" in this scenario. He could make this unit "AL-like". Lot of pro potential

WSOPdawg
12-21-2017, 10:28 PM

But this is why we are a preseason Top 12 football team in 2018. That defensive front and its depth- along with a really good OL.

Top 3 SEC QB

I've never been more ready to get a bowl game over with just so we can move into spring training (cuz we're that much closer to the start of the 2018 season)... man, can't wait!

bulldawg28
12-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Odom Harris

Green Thompson Gay
Lewis Dunning Washington

The big day to move Lewis to the outside? I can see that he seems passive in the middle

Bully13
12-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Is there a way to change things up from one Saturday to the next based on the type of offense you face week in and week out? or would that just create too much confusion? isn't the 4/3 or 3/4 sometimes very similar? based on how much speed vs brute strength? LB's vs guys who play down?

BulldogBacker
12-22-2017, 01:16 AM
Is there a way to change things up from one Saturday to the next based on the type of offense you face week in and week out? or would that just create too much confusion? isn't the 4/3 or 3/4 sometimes very similar? based on how much speed vs brute strength? LB's vs guys who play down?

The answer to your question is yes. I cannot imagine facing an empty backfield with five wide receivers without adding DB?s.

tcdog70
12-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Top 3 SEC QB

I'll say you put that in a nutshell. Not to mention a solid place kicker. Hope our new punter lives up to the hype. The A-train and Hill should be an ass-kicking 1-2 punch.

coachnorm
12-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Just to diversify the discussion I would like to throw this out to fellow elite doggers. The 4-3 and 3-4 are both 7 man fronts in a 4 deep defense. The techniques executed within the 7 man front distinguish what the defense is all about. If a defense changes its alignment yet does not change its techniques, what has really changed? A case in point is the MSU edge pass rush. Until last year, MSU edge rushers would always run up field way past the QB drop and then try to retrace their steps. This was done in both the 3-4 and 4-3 defense. Until last year MSU linemen would abandon their gap assignment and spin out of the point of attack. This was done in both the 3-4 and 4-3 defense used at MSU. I hope there is a good philosophy that is tied in with any changes to our defense.