PDA

View Full Version : We will see a package with Fitz and Keytaon in the backfield together...

DeviousDawg
12-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Meet Tommy Stephens, a Fitz clone who is a sophomore at PSU this year. Let's take a look at his 2017 stats.

Rushing: 27 rushes for 190 yards and 4 TD
Passing: 14-27 for 158 yards and 3 TD
Recieving: 9 receptions for 61 yards and 2 TD

He is a 6'5" 230 white kid that you could mistake for Fitz if he wore Maroon. Take a look at his highlight take from 2017. He lines up as QB, RB, TE, and WR. They motion him into the backfield, out of the backfield, and everything in between, all while they have barkley and Sorley on the field as well.

Here are some of the highlights from the video below

0:41 - McSorley at QB with Stevens lined up to his left and RB to right, sweep to the left to Stevens, fake end around, long TD
0:57- McSorley at QB, Stevens to right and RB to his left, stevens fake's a block right for a sweep to the RB, then breaks into a route for a TD reception
3:09 - McSorely at QB, Stevens to right, RB to left, Stevens motion left then pass to him.
3:47 - McSorely at QB, stevens to left, pass to him out of the backfield
3:56 - Mcsorely at QB, Stevens to left, motion right pass to him for TD.
4:31 - Similiar to last play, but field flipped, pass to stevens out of backfield
5:03 - McSorely at QB, Stevens to left, sweep to right to Stevens, then stevens pass TD down right side
5:43 - motion stevens into backfield, fake run then pass to stevens.
6:39- same as play at 5:03
7:45 - Mcsorely at QB, stevens to left, RB to right, inside zone run to stevens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCHA-f58m4s

The opportunities are endless here. Put Keytaon in with an empty backfield, with Fitz out wide and Dear in slot. Move both into backfield, or don't and have fitz at WR, or move dear into backfield and run the read option. OR, move fitz into backfield, and run an RPO with both Fitz and Key. I may be rambling but this gets me excited. Let your imagination run wild, the opportunities are endless with this package and I think we will see A LOT of it next year.

Cooterpoot
12-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Get your hand out of your pocket.

Dildoes
12-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Fitz played wideout in high school some, right? Dude can probably run a route.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Fitz was All-Region WR as a Junior

LC Dawg
12-21-2017, 04:51 PM
I would love to see some of this next year with Fitz and Keytaon.
Mullen had some nice package designs when we had Tubby and Dak but since then it seemed that every trick play/package we ran was as productive as running around trying to shove the ball up our own ass.

DeviousDawg
12-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Yep, this is why I invisioned Key as the primary QB in this package, because it frees Fitz up and forces the defense to respect Fitz as a potential passer, rusher and receiver. Its a versatility package so that's why I would like to see Dear as the third man in the backfield, becuase he must be respected as a rusher and receiver.

It would be hard to execute, but a double RPO with Fitz and Key would be virtually impossible to stop if ran correctly.

Political Hack
12-21-2017, 05:29 PM
If we’re getting crazy I say we go with a read option to Aeries with a backside double RPO. KT run or pitch to Fitz and Fitz still has a run pass option.

DownwardDawg
12-21-2017, 05:33 PM
This can't be legal as per NCAA rules. If it were, Mullins the genius would have tried often.

MedDawg
12-21-2017, 07:46 PM
This can't be legal as per NCAA rules. If it were, Mullins the genius would have tried often.

Mullins invented football, but Moorhead perfected it

Political Hack
12-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Mullins invented football, but Moorhead perfected it

Moorehead actually did invent a new RPO scheme.

MoreCowbell
12-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Fitz is really going to flourish in this offense. Get out the damn sheers boys.

Dawg61
12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Love how Mojo is going to take all of Muffin's players and run a better offense with them than he was able too. We'll have a better offense next year than at any point in the Muffin era. Book it. Oh yea and he already has a better WR group than Muffin ever had. Been here a month.

smootness
12-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Love how Mojo is going to take all of Muffin's players and run a better offense with them than he was able too. We'll have a better offense next year than at any point in the Muffin era. Book it. Oh yea and he already has a better WR group than Muffin ever had. Been here a month.

You taking about the signees? Cause I'm pretty sure Mullen gets the credit for them.

Dawg61
12-22-2017, 01:26 PM
You taking about the signees? Cause I'm pretty sure Mullen gets the credit for them.

I'm positive Muffin doesn't get the credit

MedDawg
12-22-2017, 01:37 PM
As a Penn State grad/fan, I'm excited for Mississippi State's offense! I agree we'll see both Fitz and Key in plays. I also could see Kylin Hill becoming our Saquon Barkley, both as a RB and in the wildcat, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kylin as our #1 RB in the fall. Moorhead's offense is exciting, and about the only difficult is the QB having to make quick decisions in the RPO and have enough accuracy on deep throws to keep defenses from stacking the box. Our receiving corps will be improved and allow us to threaten deep better than ever. Also, as you can see in the above video, Moorhead will ensure that our receivers block downfield. We will truly spread out defenses both wide and deep.

Drewbowski
12-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Fitz was a HS wideout that played QB his senior year

smootness
12-22-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm positive Muffin doesn't get the credit

He certainly gets more credit for them than Moorhead does. They would have signed with Mullen as well.

Dawg61
12-22-2017, 05:13 PM
He certainly gets more credit for them than Moorhead does. They would have signed with Mullen as well.

Only our fanbase wants to give Muffin credit. Next year when our WRs are torching teams the announcers won't be saying "and here's another touchdown from a WR Muffin man did most the recruiting on". Mojo gets the credit from the rest of the country for everyone signed cause it reflects on his record not Muffins. The announcers will say Mojo is taking what Muffin built and adding to it a billion times so I am giving him credit for these WRs cause it's his offense and they liked his offense enough to sign.

Tbonewannabe
12-22-2017, 05:21 PM

It is similar how people give Croom credit for Mullen's first class with the exception of Bumphis. Bumphis was a Dan recruit.

smootness
12-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Only our fanbase wants to give Muffin credit. Next year when our WRs are torching teams the announcers won't be saying "and here's another touchdown from a WR Muffin man did most the recruiting on". Mojo gets the credit from the rest of the country for everyone signed cause it reflects on his record not Muffins. The announcers will say Mojo is taking what Muffin built and adding to it a billion times so I am giving him credit for these WRs cause it's his offense and they liked his offense enough to sign.

All of that is fine but you seemed to give Moorhead credit for compiling a better WR class than Mullen ever did in just a month, when Mullen was still the coach when we got every single one of those guys committed or at least leaning hard. So how is that an impressive feat for Moorhead and an indictment of Mullen?

I'm not knocking Moorhead, I hope the guys absolutely kills it and makes us forget Mullen. But be honest in the evaluation.

Dawg61
12-22-2017, 06:46 PM
But be honest in the evaluation.

I am being honest. Muffin and Florida had a month to get the playmakers to flip to them and they chose Mojo and State instead. That makes them Moorhead's recruits. Thanks Don for doing lots of work for Mojo to close them. There you go that's all the credit I am handing out to Muffins.