PDA

View Full Version : I Would Like To Send Out A Personal Thank You To Kirby Smart

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Dear Kirby,

Thanks bud! I'm not sure how you did it. I'm not sure how you landed the #1 recruiting class in the country with 6 5 star recruits in it, which matches the total of 5 stars signed by all other SEC schools & exceeds that of the Big 10. I'm not sure how you managed to land the #1 QB in the country which in no way fits your offense & will have to sit behind an already entrenched starter Jake Fromm. Again, I have no idea how you pulled this off, but thanks!

See, due to your outstanding work, Alabama, LSU, & Auburn signed a combined 1 5* recruit yesterday. Just 1, &, if you can repeat this performance for a few years in a row, you will dramatically help teams like Mississippi State contend for the SEC West. For anyone that knows much about recruiting & evaluation, you already know the huge difference between teams with legitimate 5* players & teams with a bunch of 4*s. Take guys like Minkah Fitzpatrick, Daron Payne & other 5* recruits off Bama & what do you have? You have a team with really good players running bland, risk averse schemes on both sides of the ball. Yesterday, Alabama finished #5 in recruiting, Auburn 10, & LSU 15. Auburn will likely be fine due to Gus' innovative offense but I believe, due to Alabama & LSU's style of play, they will have significant issues if they don't get elite, 5*, difference making players all over the field. They'll still be really good, but not quite the same. Much more beatable & less overwhelming

Again, yesterday wasn't the end all, be all & it will take another year or 2 of Kirby doing what he did yesterday for it to really impact Bama's roster, but we may look back in 3 years & realize that yesterday was the first crack in the Saban dynasty. There are only so many 5*, elite talents in the country & yesterday Georgia horded them at the expense of Alabama & Auburn.

Thank goodness Georgia is off the schedule for a while & may the Kirbs continue to recruit this way. I'll gladly let UGA whip our ass every 8 years if they'll recruit like this & lower the talent level of Bama, Auburn, & LSU.

Thanks Kirbs!

'Gun

msstate7
12-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Now we need taggert to get rolling at FSU for our old buddy Mullen

GoToHellOleMiss
12-21-2017, 09:53 AM
How about we get better instead of hoping everyone else gets worse. How about we up our recruiting game and sign some 5 stars ourselves.

Dear Kirby,
See, due to your outstanding work, Alabama, LSU, & Auburn signed a combined 1 5* recruit yesterday. Just 1, &, if you can repeat this performance for a few years in a row, you will dramatically help teams like Mississippi State contend for the SEC West.

'Gun

msstate7
12-21-2017, 09:56 AM
How about we get better instead of hoping everyone else gets worse. How about we up our recruiting game and sign some 5 stars ourselves.

Bc some of us live in reality and know we cannot land top 5 classes year-in, year-out

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Great question.

Here is the issue: 5* don't grow on trees & most don't grow up in Mississippi. Many grow up in the Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, etc metro areas & are simply outside of our recruiting reach.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that one day MSU can go outside of Mississippi & compete to sign 5* recruits, but that day isn't today & won't ever come unless we start becoming a contender to go to ATL or cheat our ass off like OM.

So, at this time, the best way for MSU to compete for the West is for Bama, Auburn, & LSU to be knocked back a little.

We sign & have a bunch of 4*s on our roster, &, if Bama, Auburn, & LSU are signing less 5*s, then there is a better chance that the 40 guys we play in a game are much more equal to their 40 guys.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Bc some of us live in reality and know we cannot land top 5 classes year-in, year-out

This, we simply don't have the population within our local recruiting footprint to support these types of classes.

If MSU can continue to recruit between 18-25, over a 5 year period, we should have close to 30-40 4* or better recruits on our roster. If you play 40 guys in a game & have 30 4*s on your roster, then the talent level between your 40 players & Bama's, LSU, & Auburn's 40 players in not that dramatic. Particularly if you can coach up some 3 stars into 4* caliber producers.

Your at least within the range that quality coaching allows you to beat them.

Todd4State
12-21-2017, 11:03 AM
And for reference our class that we signed yesterday is ranked anywhere between 17 and 21. So not much different than LSU's 15. And we need to keep in mind we are constantly underrated.

dawgday166
12-21-2017, 11:33 AM
The Dawgs to our east are my 2nd fav now. I like Kirby and hope he kicks some Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn butt for years to come. The only time I want them to lose now is against us if we somehow meet in SEC Title game.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 11:39 AM
The Dawgs to our east are my 2nd fav now. I like Kirby and hope he kicks some Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn butt for years to come. The only time I want them to lose now is against us if we somehow meet in SEC Title game.

No doubt. The rise of Georgia is awesome.

They play Auburn every year & are stealing recruits from Bama

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Because we are and always will be "woe is me" fans who think we will never get 5 stars. What in the world did teams do before players were given stars by their name?

msstate7
12-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Because we are and always will be "woe is me" fans who think we will never get 5 stars. What in the world did teams do before players were given stars by their name?

You right. We should be beating bama, Georgia, and Clemson for 5-stars out of state. No excuse for us not pillaging Florida, Texas, and California for 5-stars. We are miss state and we are the biggest sleeping giant in the country!

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Do you kind of have to build up to this?

And for the record, I think we are building up to this. Getting guys like Whop & Mayden are big steps forward towards one day landing out of state 5 stars, but it's a process, or at least should be.

The biggest thing we have to do is to continue to grow our fan base & make MSU a team that the media wants & invests time in covering. We simply lack the media coverage at this time to build the necessary brand to get out of state 5 star caliber players.

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
You right. We should be beating bama, Georgia, and Clemson for 5-stars out of state. No excuse for us not pillaging Florida, Texas, and California for 5-stars. We are miss state and we are the biggest sleeping giant in the country!

It seems like Clemson had a average ranking of around 15 with the team that won the National Title. If you can average around that then you can compete with just about anyone.

smootness
12-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Let's remember that recruiting is by no means over this year. Yes, UGA will have those 5-stars no matter what and that is a good thing. But it's not nearly over for those top schools.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 12:31 PM
It seems like Clemson had a average ranking of around 15 with the team that won the National Title. If you can average around that then you can compete with just about anyone.

Good point. That is an attainable goal. Seems they did it by getting the right qb, surrounding him with great WRs, and having a top flight DC

Todd4State
12-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Let's remember that recruiting is by no means over this year. Yes, UGA will have those 5-stars no matter what and that is a good thing. But it's not nearly over for those top schools.

Especially since a lot of the schools probably want to make a splash in February to excite their fans. This is just the first year with the new signing period so that may and probably will change to teams wanting to make a splash in both December and February.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 12:39 PM

True. Not many 5 stars are left. Hopefully UGA signs more

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Good point. That is an attainable goal. Seems they did it by getting the right qb, surrounding him with great WRs, and having a top flight DC

It just boils down to playmakers. You have to get a good QB and have some game breakers around him. Then having a good DC with a good defense that will keep you in games. A lot of the times it is one play like Ridley getting open across the middle for a game winning TD.

bostondawg
12-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Love this thread. I want UGA to stockpile all of the southern talent in Athens. We only play them every 8 years. It makes us more likely to compete for the west, which is our program's goal right now. If/when we get to Atlanta, we'll get killed by UGA, but that's fine. Delivering another west championship to Starkville is the goal right now.

Jarius
12-21-2017, 12:55 PM

Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up faster.

TUSK
12-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Dear Kirby,

Thanks bud! I'm not sure how you did it. I'm not sure how you landed the #1 recruiting class in the country with 6 5 star recruits in it, which matches the total of 5 stars signed by all other SEC schools & exceeds that of the Big 10. I'm not sure how you managed to land the #1 QB in the country which in no way fits your offense & will have to sit behind an already entrenched starter Jake Fromm. Again, I have no idea how you pulled this off, but thanks!

See, due to your outstanding work, Alabama, LSU, & Auburn signed a combined 1 5* recruit yesterday. Just 1, &, if you can repeat this performance for a few years in a row, you will dramatically help teams like Mississippi State contend for the SEC West. For anyone that knows much about recruiting & evaluation, you already know the huge difference between teams with legitimate 5* players & teams with a bunch of 4*s. Take guys like Minkah Fitzpatrick, Daron Payne & other 5* recruits off Bama & what do you have? You have a team with really good players running bland, risk averse schemes on both sides of the ball. Yesterday, Alabama finished #5 in recruiting, Auburn 10, & LSU 15. Auburn will likely be fine due to Gus' innovative offense but I believe, due to Alabama & LSU's style of play, they will have significant issues if they don't get elite, 5*, difference making players all over the field. They'll still be really good, but not quite the same. Much more beatable & less overwhelming

Again, yesterday wasn't the end all, be all & it will take another year or 2 of Kirby doing what he did yesterday for it to really impact Bama's roster, but we may look back in 3 years & realize that yesterday was the first crack in the Saban dynasty. There are only so many 5*, elite talents in the country & yesterday Georgia horded them at the expense of Alabama & Auburn.

Thank goodness Georgia is off the schedule for a while & may the Kirbs continue to recruit this way. I'll gladly let UGA whip our ass every 8 years if they'll recruit like this & lower the talent level of Bama, Auburn, & LSU.

Thanks Kirbs!

'Gun

UGA signing so many 5 stars is destroying college football....***

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Welcome back to the days of Mike Shula.*******

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 01:20 PM

It's wild. I'm curious how they did it.

I mean, UGA has a dynamite FR QB & managed to sign a higher rated one that doesn't fit UGA's offense.

Additionally, they signed a 5* 99 rated RB & a 98 rated RB while already having Swift on campus who was a 98 rated RB in the 2017 class. How did they get these guys to sign up for this?

I mean at MSU we have 3 star DL flipping to Ole Miss for early playing time yet the 5* RBs & QBs pick UGA when playing time in scarce.

Someone explain to me how they did this?

dawgday166
12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Welcome back to the days of Mike Shula.*******

Lol ... nice! +1

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 01:22 PM

I mean, UGA has a dynamite FR QB & managed to sign a higher rated one that doesn't fit UGA's offense.

Additionally, they signed a 5* 99 rated RB & a 98 rated RB while already having Swift on campus who was a 98 rated RB in the 2017 class. How did they get these guys to sign up for this?

I mean at MSU we have 3 star DL flipping to Ole Miss for early playing time yet the 5* RBs & QBs pick UGA when playing time in scarce.

Kirby is obviously the UGA messiah who has returned to lead them to the promised land. At least that is what I am hearing around Alpharetta, GA.

dawgday166
12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Same way Bama had done it. Seems Kirby may be responsible for all those recruiting titles Bama owns **

And all this time we were thinking it was Saban doing it.

GoToHellOleMiss
12-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up faster.

I'm not wishing for anything. I just think we should have higher expectations about our own program instead of hoping everyone else gets worse.

We were ranked #1 in the first playoff poll. Remember? That's not wishing shit for brains, that happened. So, let's do it again.

And if we're going to wish some random program gobbles up all the 5 stars why not root for Ohio State or Notre Dame.....someone we wouldn't face unless we were in the playoff. If Georgia becomes the next Bama it doesn't become any easier to win the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Same way Bama had done it. Seems Kirby may be responsible for all those recruiting titles Bama owns **

And all this time we were thinking it was Saban doing it.

At least at Bama I could reconcile this due to Saban's coaching and development, but Kirby hasn't proved himself in that way yet.

Just amazing to me how many elite guys they signed that have virtually no chance of playing early in their career. LOL

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm not wishing for anything. I just think we should have higher expectations about our own program instead of hoping everyone else gets worse.

We were ranked #1 in the first playoff poll. Remember? That's not wishing shit for brains, that happened. So, let's do it again.

And if we're going to wish some random program gobbles up all the 5 stars why not root for Ohio State or Notre Dame.....someone we wouldn't face unless we were in the playoff. If Georgia becomes the next Bama it doesn't become any easier to win the SEC.

Agree completely with everything you said.

I also hope that Ohio State & Notre Dame can start taking these guys, but, if not, UGA is a good choice that helps us.

TUSK
12-21-2017, 01:40 PM

1) GA is/has been a hotbed of talent...
2) Kirby is a really good recruiter...
3) It's "The Process 2.0", possibly...

BuckyIsAB****
12-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Folks take recruiting rankings wayyyy to seriously

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 02:25 PM

I hate the entire recruiting bullshit but the recruiting rankings are definitely an indicator of future success. Hugh Freeze was able to take Ole Miss to the Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl with the high level talent that he was able to buy. There are straight up misses in recruiting like Jon Banks or Benardrick McKinney getting 2 stars but more times than not, 5 star recruits are extremely successful. Just look at Simmons on our team and you will see what getting high rated recruits does for your team. You might be able to take someone like Nick Fitz and develop him but those cases are getting rarer to find.

If Nick Saban has a team of 2 and 3 stars then he won't compete on average against teams of 4 and 5 stars. This year against Bama, we had more 4 stars and Simmons as a 5 star than we probably ever had in the 9 years of Mullen's tenure. Saban is extremely successful and part of the reason is his 2nd string are as high rated as most other teams' starters. Therefore when we rotate in our 3 star players, Bama still has 4 and 5 star guys.

NCDawg
12-21-2017, 02:40 PM

I agree with you. We don't need to be praising other SEC teams recruiting. We need to up our recruiting game also, and I think we will once Coach Moorhead gets fully established here.

Homedawg
12-21-2017, 02:41 PM

yeah, there are no stats to prove that the teams that recruit the best win championships or anything************

TUSK
12-21-2017, 02:43 PM
I hate the entire recruiting bullshit but the recruiting rankings are definitely an indicator of future success. Hugh Freeze was able to take Ole Miss to the Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl with the high level talent that he was able to buy. There are straight up misses in recruiting like Jon Banks or Benardrick McKinney getting 2 stars but more times than not, 5 star recruits are extremely successful. Just look at Simmons on our team and you will see what getting high rated recruits does for your team. You might be able to take someone like Nick Fitz and develop him but those cases are getting rarer to find.

If Nick Saban has a team of 2 and 3 stars then he won't compete on average against teams of 4 and 5 stars. This year against Bama, we had more 4 stars and Simmons as a 5 star than we probably ever had in the 9 years of Mullen's tenure. Saban is extremely successful and part of the reason is his 2nd string are as high rated as most other teams' starters. Therefore when we rotate in our 3 star players, Bama still has 4 and 5 star guys.

This is a lot correct.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
yeah, there are no stats to prove that the teams that recruit the best win championships or anything************

It takes players, but it also takes coaching.

Jarius
12-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Yes, we should just recruit more 5 stars. Why has no one else thought of that? Hey shit for brains, if we just sign more five stars we will just have a 5 year investigation which culminates with a 2 year bowl ban and double digit scholarship reductions. We can recruit marginally better than we have been by not losing obvious targets we should not miss in our state due to complete laziness by our staff. When we start driving 120 in a 60 and signing a bunch of 5 stars in other people’s back yard we will get put in our place, the same way OM did. But hey we can always try it your way. By the way, we went to #1 by having a great qb with a bunch of mid level sec talent around him, not recruiting more 5 stars like you want to do.

dawgs
12-21-2017, 05:15 PM

The only teams to win a natty in the crootin rankings era with an average crootin class outside the top 10 in the 4-5 years leading up to the natty are Clemson and auburn. Both had transcendent QBs and at least 1 top 10 class still in the program and their average ranking was still like 11th or 12th over the years preceding their natty. Oregon is the only other program to even play for a natty with similar recruiting numbers, and they had a revolutionary coach in 2010 and a transcendent QB in 2014, and they had no top 10 classes on campus for either of those years.

So basically, if you wanna play for a natty without landing top 10 classes most years, then you need to be just outside the top 10 with a revolutionary coach and/or a transcendent QB. If our crootin leading up to 2014 had averaged around 10-15 instead of ~30 in the previous 4 cycles combined with dak, then we probably have a shot that season. Instead we just kinda ran out of gas and didn?t have the depth to keep it going all season.

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Welp...we had a good run. UGA had a good recruiting class, so we are as good as done. Saban really sucks and needs to give his rings to Smart. You guys have the formula figured out.

Lol!!! This thread is killing me!!!

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Welp...we had a good run. UGA had a good recruiting class, so we are as good as done. Saban really sucks and needs to give his rings to Smart. You guys have the formula figured out.

Nobody said you were done & that we have it figured out.

However, Georgia taking recruits that otherwise might have gone to Auburn or Alabama is good for MSU. You do realize that everyone in the West hopes you guys take a step back right?

Why are you so insecure that you feel the need to come to an MSU message board to defend Bama?

Do we come to Bama message boards to defend MSU?

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Nobody said you were done & that we have it figured out.

However, Georgia taking recruits that otherwise might have gone to Auburn or Alabama is good for MSU. You do realize that everyone in the West hopes you guys take a step back right?

Why are you so insecure that you feel the need to come to an MSU message board to defend Bama?

Do we come to Bama message boards to defend MSU?

I'm not here to defend BAMA. They don't need defending. Just not a whole lot of thought put into the posts about this changing things for BAMA. It really hasn't.

BAMA hasn't recruited well in Georgia the whole time Saban has been at BAMA. Go back through our commits through 2008 to now and see how many "5 stars" we've taken out of Georgia. If memory serves me right, the number may be zero.

UGA has ALWAYS recruited well. The state of Georgia was loaded and Kirby cleaned up. Good for him. He's done what all the other UGA coaches did before him (recruit Georgia well). UGA keeping the state locked down hurts teams like AU, UF, FSU, and UT worse than it hurts BAMA. BAMA recruits very national now, and those teams depend on the state of Georgia for talent.

BAMA will finish somewhere in the top 5 range, and that is plenty good to continue to compete for championships.

I like your board amd enjoy the discussion. Don't be so sensitive. I'm a Bammer, but I don't bite.

Offshore Dawg
12-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Don't ever think that the bears have the only "network".

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 05:51 PM
I'm not here to defend BAMA. They don't need defending. Just not a whole lot of thought put into the posts about this changing things for BAMA. It really hasn't.

BAMA hasn't recruited well in Georgia the whole time Saban has been at BAMA. Go back through our commits through 2008 to now and see how many "5 stars" we've taken out of Georgia. If memory serves me right, the number may be zero.

UGA has ALWAYS recruited well. The state of Georgia was loaded and Kirby cleaned up. Good for him. He's done what all the other UGA coaches did before him (recruit Georgia well). UGA keeping the state locked down hurts teams like AU, UF, FSU, and UT worse than it hurts BAMA. BAMA recruits very national now, and those teams depend on the state of Georgia for talent.

BAMA will finish somewhere in the top 5 range, and that is plenty good to continue to compete for championships.

I like your board amd enjoy the discussion. Don't be so sensitive. I'm a Bammer, but I don't bite.

You were the sensitive one, not me.

Bama only signed 1 5* yesterday after getting 6 last year, 3 in 2016, 6 in 2015, & 5 in 2014
Maybe Bama will sign a few more in Feb & maybe the guys UGA got weren't taken from Bama, but they took them from someone. 3 of UGA's top 7 recruits are out of state guys, so there is more too it than Georgia just being loaded this year.

Signing only 1 or 2 5* this year may just be an off year for Bama, but it could be more than that. If that starts to become a trend then Bama's talent level will regress. There is no denying that this isn't a typical Bama class

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 05:58 PM
You were the sensitive one, not me.

Bama only signed 1 5* yesterday after getting 6 last year, 3 in 2016, 6 in 2015, & 5 in 2015.

Maybe Bama will sign a few more in Feb & maybe the guys UGA got weren't taken from Bama, but they took them from someone. 3 of UGA's top 7 recruits are out of state guys.

Signing only 1 or 2 5* this year may just be an off year, but it could be more than that. If that starts to become a trend then Bama's talent level will regress.

I don't care about being #1 in recruiting, and I doubt Saban does either. He's had an amazing run of consecutive #1s but I doubt even he thought that was possible and I doubt he was checking on the ranking. BAMA, like the other top teams, have to keep consistent top 5 classes. Do that and they're right where they want to be.

Kirby has done a good job climbing the ladder, and even though many have made him the king, he isn't there yet. Once he gets there, and maybe even now that he's near the top, he has to start dealing with being there. It is one thing to get to the top, it is another to stay there, and that is what has made Saban the best. Many coaches have been able to get to the top, and then most fall off. Saban has sustained year in and year out, and beating the best football has to offer along the way.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 06:12 PM
I don't care about being #1 in recruiting, and I doubt Saban does either. He's had an amazing run of consecutive #1s but I doubt even he thought that was possible and I doubt he was checking on the ranking. BAMA, like the other top teams, have to keep consistent top 5 classes. Do that and they're right where they want to be.

Kirby has done a good job climbing the ladder, and even though many have made him the king, he isn't there yet. Once he gets there, and maybe even now that he's near the top, he has to start dealing with being there. It is one thing to get to the top, it is another to stay there, and that is what has made Saban the best. Many have coaches have been able to get to the top, and then most fall off. Saban has sustained year in and year out, and beating the best football has to offer along the way.

So you don't think the fact that you guys have had the #1 class for 5+ years in a row has factored into why you guys have been so good?

I'm here to tell you that, if Bama's 5* are on the roster are cut in half over the next 3 or 4 years, that is going to be a problem. Particularly when you consider the style of play that Bama plays.

That being said, Bama will still be legit but maybe more vulnerable. Many more close games than all the blow outs that we've seen over the past 3-4 years.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 06:31 PM
UGA just added a 97 rated TE that Bama offered.

He's their 10th highest rated recruit

msstate7
12-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Bama does a little better in avg per recruit...

1. Ohio state 93.97
2. Texas 93.24
3. Georgia 93.20
4. Clemson 92.81
5. Bama 92.44

Ohio state was 94.59 last season. They will have a great team next season. 94.59 is the best in a while... I quit looking at 2010. Urban will have a monster next season

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 06:42 PM

1. Ohio state 93.97
2. Texas 93.24
3. Georgia 93.20
4. Clemson 92.81
5. Bama 92.44

Ohio state was 94.59 last season. They will have a great team next season. 94.59 is the best in a while... I quit looking at 2010. Urban will have a monster next season

I see Bama as a 92 average & UGA as a 93

msstate7
12-21-2017, 06:46 PM

I said that, right?

ETA... ahhhh...I meant they did a little better in overall rankings. They were 6th in rankings, but 5th in avg per recruit

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 07:31 PM
So you don't think the fact that you guys have had the #1 class for 5+ years in a row has factored into why you guys have been so good?

I'm here to tell you that, if Bama's 5* are on the roster are cut in half over the next 3 or 4 years, that is going to be a problem. Particularly when you consider the style of play that Bama plays.

That being said, Bama will still be legit but maybe more vulnerable. Many more close games than all the blow outs that we've seen over the past 3-4 years.

When BAMA won it all in 09, 11, and 12, we didn't have nearly the amount of 5 stars we had in 15, 16, and 17. So, no, I don't think so. Top 5 is good enough.

UGA just added a 97 rated TE that Bama offered. He's their 10th highest rated recruit

He couldn't sign with us yesterday. We are done at TE unless one very special player comes to jump on board.

What's the difference? Lol. That's pretty much why #1 and #5 doesn't matter all that much. The distance at the top is usually minimal.

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Oh...Hugh Freeze and the Network would be proud of the work Kirby and the boys put in over at UGA. Working overtime for sure.

bulldawg28
12-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Take your Bama ass to finebaum.com this isn't the place for Bama Homerism. F*** bama

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Take your Bama ass to finebaum.com this isn't the place for Bama Homerism. F*** bama

Blessings to you my friend. I've been Finebaum free for about ten years, and I've been trying to convince you bunch of Dawgs to be Finebaum free ever since I showed up. He's a clown and knows nothing about the sport we love.

I wasn't being a homer, just trying to get some of you to think logically instead of with your hatred for BAMA.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Blessings to you my friend. I've been Finebaum free for about ten years, and I've been trying to convince you bunch of Dawgs to be Finebaum free ever since I showed up. He's a clown and knows nothing about the sport we love.

I wasn't being a homer, just trying to get some of you to think logically instead of with your hatred for BAMA.

FWIW I don’t hate Bama and actually respect them, but I really want to see my school go to Atlanta every 20 years or so. Thus, I just view what’s happened in recruiting as something that can help MSU.

RocketDawg
12-21-2017, 08:30 PM

1. Ohio state 93.97
2. Texas 93.24
3. Georgia 93.20
4. Clemson 92.81
5. Bama 92.44

Any idea what our composite rating is?

Maroon Wizardry
12-21-2017, 08:37 PM
um... if Georgia is taking recruits from the powerhouses that lowers their talent pool. if we keep a lock on instate talent and continue to pick off a couple out of state 4 stars and a northern recruit or 2 from JoMo's connections we will be able to compete every year... also 2nd in the SEC gets you in the playoffs every other year. Shoot for number 1 but number 2 ain't bad and if we are good enough to be number 2 maybe a ball will bounce our way and we win

dawgday166
12-21-2017, 08:43 PM
um... if Georgia is taking recruits from the powerhouses that lowers their talent pool. if we keep a lock on instate talent and continue to pick off a couple out of state 4 stars and a northern recruit or 2 from JoMo's connections we will be able to compete every year... also 2nd in the SEC gets Bama in the playoffs every other year. Shoot for number 1 but number 2 ain't bad and if we are good enough to be number 2 maybe a ball will bounce our way and we win

FIFY

TUSK
12-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Any idea what our composite rating is?

MSU (including 247 commits) is about 87....

SEC shakes out like this (commits, not nec "signed") per a recent, cursory glance:

1. UGA 93.2 (anything => 92 is ridiculous)
2. UA 92.4

3. UF 90.26
4. AU 90.12

Values below the 88/89 range are much more volatile and, therefore, less predictable to me...

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 10:45 PM
FWIW I don’t hate Bama and actually respect them, but I really want to see my school go to Atlanta every 20 years or so. Thus, I just view what’s happened in recruiting as something that can help MSU.

Fair point, pal.

Bully13
12-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Fair point, pal.

Token's a guest who knows the rules and complies just like Tusk. I enjoy checking out their takes. our common hatred for everything tsun helps a lot btw.

TUSK
12-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Token's a guest who knows the rules and complies just like Tusk. I enjoy checking out their takes. our common hatred for everything tsun helps a lot btw.

Token (for a Bammer), is legit poster, IMO.

I’d like him more if Beardo made him a new avatar using Token from SouthPark, though... maybe wearin’ A houndstooth hat, even...

Throw in a big foam finger on em whilst you’re at...

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Token (for a Bammer), is legit poster, IMO.

I’d like him more if Beardo made him a new avatar using Token from SouthPark, though... maybe wearin’ A houndstooth hat, even...

Throw in a big foam finger on em whilst you’re at...

I am so down with this.

Bully13
12-21-2017, 11:25 PM
yea, token from south park rocks. I'll vote for that.

I'd also vote for bammer switching their perm TN to UGA.

you 2 would like ? LOL.

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 11:37 PM
yea, token from south park rocks. I'll vote for that.

I'd also vote for bammer switching their perm TN to UGA.

you 2 would like ? LOL.

I can't stand UGA and would love to play them more often. However, I wouldn't want to give up the right to smash Tennessee every year, especially now that Tennessee Phats (aka Phatlock, aka The Great Pumpkin, aka Phatimus Maximus) is back in Knoxville with his XXXL wind breaker jackets (aka parachutes) roaming the sideline.

Bully13
12-21-2017, 11:42 PM
I can't stand UGA and would love to play them more often. However, I wouldn't want to give up the right to smash Tennessee every year, especially now that Tennessee Phats (aka Phatlock, aka The Great Pumpkin, aka Phatimus Maximus) is back in Knoxville with his XXXL wind breaker jackets (aka parachutes) roaming the sideline.

LMAO Token. I was living in Mempho back in the day when all that shit went down. actually accepted an invite from a UT Mempho work associate who invited me to the UT / FL game up in knoxville the year they won the natty.

I take it you haven't forgiven phat phil for his pettiness? LOL

Token Bammer
12-21-2017, 11:48 PM
LMAO Token. I was living in Mempho back in the day when all that shit went down. actually accepted an invite from a UT Mempho work associate who invited me to the UT / FL game up in knoxville the year they won the natty.

I take it you haven't forgiven phat phil for his pettiness? LOL

Never will. That phat bastage was more guilty than anyone during that time period when it came to recruiting. He and Roy Kramer were into two things: spooning each other and setting up Alabama.

Bully13
12-21-2017, 11:56 PM
Never will. That phat bastage was more guilty than anyone during that time period when it came to recruiting. He and Roy Kramer were into two things: spooning each other and setting up Alabama.

can't disagree. everyone in my crowd knew how 17ing crooked UT was (and still is) back then. phat phil just got his panties in a wad that someone (bamer) came in and stole (outbidded) him on Albert.

one of the worst coached games I've ever witnessed was when UT and Peyton lost to Memphis . Memphis had a bunch of nasty DL's and LB's and loaded the box but phat phil was hell bent on running it up the middle on 1st and 2nd down. while having Peyton as QB. did I mention he had Peyton as QB?

I don't think I've ever seen a more inbred retard on the sideline as phat phil. I don't think he called one single play action the entire game. no passes on 1st or 2nd down. Memphis won. Memphis beat Peyton. Memphis.

TUSK
12-21-2017, 11:57 PM

Dude, maybe you aren’t “legit”...

How could you be so remiss & not include the Pivot Man. (Ie roy Adams/tennstud)?

I’ll be watchin’ you!!!

Token Bammer
12-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Dude, maybe you aren’t “legit”...

How could you be so remiss & not include the Pivot Man. (Ie roy Adams/tennstud)?

I’ll be watchin’ you!!!

Lol. Tennessee dud is dead now. Maybe that has something to do with it, but Roy was all kinds of dirty.

Token Bammer
12-22-2017, 12:09 AM
can't disagree. everyone in my crowd knew how 17ing crooked UT was (and still is) back then. phat phil just got his panties in a wad that someone (bamer) came in and stole (outbidded) him on Albert.

one of the worst coached games I've ever witnessed was when UT and Peyton lost to Memphis . Memphis had a bunch of nasty DL's and LB's and loaded the box but phat phil was hell bent on running it up the middle on 1st and 2nd down. while having Peyton as QB. did I mention he had Peyton as QB?

I don't think I've ever seen a more inbred retard on the sideline as phat phil. I don't think he called one single play action the entire game. no passes on 1st or 2nd down. Memphis won. Memphis beat Peyton. Memphis.

I can't help but laugh at all the praise they give Peyton and totally ignore the man who actually won them a championship; one Tee Martin. I wonder if they've asked Tee to give his ring to Peyton?

TUSK
12-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I know he’s dead... I was only hoping I That I could have pushed him up some stairs, too.

#hottubslayinismessy

Token Bammer
12-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I know he’s dead... I was only hoping I That I could have pushed him up some stairs, too.

#hottubslayinismessy

Yeah, someone over at UT murdered that dude didn't they? Appears that way anyhow.

Oh, if Roy's hot tub could talk.....nevermind. I wouldn't want to hear about it. Lol

Bully13
12-22-2017, 12:22 AM
I can't help bit laugh at all the praise they give Peyton and totally ignore the man who actually won them a championship; one Tee Martin. I wonder if they've asked Tee to give his ring to Peyton?

well, there was a crooked assed hoops coach named Dana Kirk. after he crumbled from grace, he took on a radio job and was always sucking off the no talent UF QB . Always talked about how he would do better in the NFL than Peyton "cuz he was a winner".

sorry Token, anybody who knew how to evaluate should know how talented Peyton was . don't get me wrong, I'm not one to kiss Manning ass, but talent is what it is.. I saw and knew he would be a NFL QB and Tee Martin would never sniff a NFL side line. neither would that FL QB who spent a nano 2nd at NO.

I don't understand how anyone could watch Peyton at UT , Martin at UT and that Heisman / Natty winner QB at FL and come to the conclusion that Peyton was the one that was not going to go on and be the strong NFL QB. anybody thinking just because you are the QB of a natty, then that means you succeed at the next level?

one of the reasons I hate folks like Charles Barkley not given his proper due just because he never won a natty.

Token Bammer
12-22-2017, 12:26 AM
well, there was a crooked assed hoops coach named Dana Kirk. after he crumbled from grace, he took on a radio job and was always sucking off the no talent UF QB . Always talked about how he would do better in the NFL than Peyton "cuz he was a winner".

sorry Token, anybody who knew how to evaluate should know how talented Peyton was . don't get me wrong, I'm not one to kiss Manning ass, but talent is what it is.. I saw and knew he would be a NFL QB and Tee Martin would never sniff a NFL side line. neither would that FL QB who spent a nano 2nd at NO.

I don't understand how anyone could watch Peyton at UT , Martin at UT and that Heisman / Natty winner QB at FL and come to the conclusion that Peyton was the one that was not going to go on and be the strong NFL QB. anybody thinking just because you are the QB of a natty, then that means you succeed at the next level?

one of the reasons I hate folks like Charles Barkley not given his proper due just because he never won a natty.

No disagreement here.

Tee was no Peyton, but Tee got it done and he's the forgotten man.

TUSK
12-22-2017, 12:44 AM
I loathed Peyton ever since he led the ut band after a TSIO victory, but if im building a football team to fight for my life, his name will come up during the draft.

TUSK
12-22-2017, 12:51 AM

Phat Phil was the 90s version of Les Miles...

Only PP didn't eat grass, could construct a complete sentence, and actually possessed clock management skilz....

TUSK
12-22-2017, 12:58 AM

I'm a Bammer... I saw Barkley wreck Coleman Coliseum a time or two...

If Chuck ran for Governor, I'd register... just to vote for him... and I don't vote.

msstate7
12-22-2017, 12:58 AM
I loathed Peyton ever since he led the ut band after a TSIO victory, but if im building a football team to fight for my life, his name will come up during the draft.

Brady better

TUSK
12-22-2017, 01:05 AM
Brady better

There's several names I'd ponder... Brady would for sure be one of them... Peyton would, as well...

I'm not an NFL guy but I think I'd like my chances with: Manning/Brady, Farve/Rogers, Bradshaw/Big Ben, Stabler/Namath, Joe Cool/Young, etc....

(I know I'm missing a bunch)

msstate7
12-22-2017, 01:07 AM
There's several names I'd ponder... Brady would for sure be one of them... Peyton would, as well...

I'm not an NFL guy but I think I'd like my chances with: Manning/Brady, Farve/Rogers, Bradshaw/Big Ben, Stabler/Namath, Joe Cool/Young, etc....

Yeah, you missing 2 of my favs, brees and elway

TUSK
12-22-2017, 01:13 AM
Yeah, you missing 2 of my favs, brees and elway

Loooooove Elway, that tough rat bastard.... I know Brees is a HOFer, but I've not seen much of his play....

Bully13
12-22-2017, 01:23 AM
I'm a Bammer... I saw Barkley wreck Coleman Coliseum a time or two...

If Chuck ran for Governor, I'd register... just to vote for him... and I don't vote.

never was a big NBA fan but I have fond memories of watching a few important games and Barkley just laid his ass out on the court and was one tough SOB.

TUSK
12-22-2017, 01:54 AM
never was a big NBA fan but I have fond memories of watching a few important games and Barkley just laid his ass out on the court and was one tough SOB.

true dat... dude had ZERO 17s to give....

my favorite quote from Barkley (I'm paraphrasing): "If I were Gov (of AL), we would not have a "death row"... we'd have "death week"".....

Todd4State
12-22-2017, 02:15 AM

I would go with Joe Montana. Accurate, mobile, tremendous leader that players trust and can rally around, doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and has a history of being clutch in big games.

Todd4State
12-22-2017, 02:37 AM
And back to the original topic and after much thought-

Actually I think what would ultimately be best for MSU is if the 6-7 bluebloods split the top recruiting class and there wasn't a dominant team like Alabama every year. And in the meantime we would need to maintain top 15-20 status in football.

That would quietly keep us consistently good and actually comparable to the other bluebloods to where we would have at least a fighting chance to beat them every year. Thinking back to the 1990's- Florida and maybe Tennessee were the most dominant teams late in the decade when we were winning. And in between 1990-2000 we were 2-2 against Florida and 1-3 against Tennessee with two of those being very close. Part of that is because no one in the SEC had been as dominating in recruiting like Alabama has been the past 10 years. Against Alabama from 1991-2000 we went a very respectable 4-6 against them and 6-4 against Auburn. We lost to Georgia twice and struggled against LSU but that was an anamolay. We have shown that we can compete with and beat LSU the past 4-5 years if nothing else.

It would probably make the SEC a lot more fun too.

We still need to up our recruiting game a little bit though. Our fans and administration gave Dan way too much of a pass in recruiting- and we need to focus a lot more on it. We need to start pumping more money into our recruiting budget. If Women's basketball at MSU with their history can recruit at a high level and the other major sports at MSU can recruit at a high level there is no reason why MSU football can't recruit at a high level too. MSU needs to do a better job of understanding the psychology of recruiting and how flipping recruits, landing big recruits on both NSD's and also at major All-Star Games can affect both fan and national perception in a positive way. Dan never seemed to give a shit and just wanted all of it to be over.

dawgday166
12-22-2017, 07:43 AM
I would go with Joe Montana. Accurate, mobile, tremendous leader that players trust and can rally around, doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and has a history of being clutch in big games.

There's Brady/Montana ... then the rest. Elway waayyy overrated.

smootness
12-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Those thinking that if Bama slips to only #2-5 in recruiting, they'll be quite a bit easier are likely wrong. Their success is due more to Saban as coach than landing #1 recruiting classes. His teams actually accomplished more when they weren't quite as talented.

BrunswickDawg
12-22-2017, 08:42 AM
Oh...Hugh Freeze and the Network would be proud of the work Kirby and the boys put in over at UGA. Working overtime for sure.

In the early 90s UGA sure had a lot of players driving Nissan 240SXs. Wonder if Kirby had one?

gravedigger
12-22-2017, 08:53 AM
The only teams to win a natty in the crootin rankings era with an average crootin class outside the top 10 in the 4-5 years leading up to the natty are Clemson and auburn. Both had transcendent QBs and at least 1 top 10 class still in the program and their average ranking was still like 11th or 12th over the years preceding their natty. Oregon is the only other program to even play for a natty with similar recruiting numbers, and they had a revolutionary coach in 2010 and a transcendent QB in 2014, and they had no top 10 classes on campus for either of those years.

So basically, if you wanna play for a natty without landing top 10 classes most years, then you need to be just outside the top 10 with a revolutionary coach and/or a transcendent QB. If our crootin leading up to 2014 had averaged around 10-15 instead of ~30 in the previous 4 cycles combined with dak, then we probably have a shot that season. Instead we just kinda ran out of gas and didn?t have the depth to keep it going all season.

That is inducing a conclusion. The trancendent qb and coach you mention are an excuse for why your top 10 statistic logic isnt air tight. more probable conclusions:

Recruiting rankings are an indication that a team is good if recruiting analysts and reporters who copy down nick sabans offer list is the criteria.
The recruiting rankings for the CLemson ,Auburn and Oregon teams that broke the trend were actually not accurate but in fact better and the current copy down nick sabans offer list method of assigning potential of recruits didnt accurately show that the teams were better.

But probably the MOST important is that recruiting is an ingredient to a top team and not NEARLY as important as program management, coaching strategy, and luck. It flows through the filter of how effective the coach is at signing players who fit what he's trying to do and employs them correctly. That assistant coaches performance and game strategy and luck with injuries all combine to have an affect that star counts cannot possibly allow one to make such a statement about top 10 recruiting classes.

But yall keep woshiping at that false idol. Hell, what most didnt know was that Mullen was perceived as being a BAD recruiter because he used a rating system that was totally unlike the 5 star bull that is considered gospel truth. He did it and somehow achieved UNPRECEDENTED success at a school like MSU when year in and year out the people who help assign the stars predicted us to be last. It's how he recognized Fitz and Dak. He had them as highly rated EARLY. Even his system wasnt flawless of course, but it does go to show that coaches do not follow the 5 star model. THe model follows them.

All this leads to one logical conclusion. If you want to rate a recruiting class, You have to look back at the results of it and remember that it could have overachieved based on coaching performance or luck or many other things.

Yall relax. Best thing about recruiting is that kids choose us so we know they want to be here.

msbulldog
12-22-2017, 09:10 AM

There is, google Dave Bartoo.