PDA

View Full Version : Just for the record, Sonny Dykes is coaching SMU tonight in the bowl game

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 07:21 PM
after taking the job a week ago and it's also the same day as signing day. This post is for all those people that said Moorhead couldn't coach us in our bowl game.

PCHSDawg
12-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Personally think his time was better spent locking down this recruiting class. Plan on being at bowl game regardless.

DownwardDawg
12-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Today's results tell me Coach made the right choice.

DogsofAnarchy
12-20-2017, 08:11 PM
after taking the job a week ago and it's also the same day as signing day. This post is for all those people that said Moorhead couldn't coach us in our bowl game.

Well, we appreciate that and we would like to tell you that we feel that our coach did the right thing and that idiot you?re watching on TV is an idiot. Have a nice day!! 😁😁😁

TrapGame
12-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Sonny was at TCU before taking the SMU gig. He already knows his recruiting territory. He already has contacts in Texas. Coach Joe defining his recruiting territory, especially in state, and developing relationships with high school coaches will reap big rewards next year.

BeardoMSU
12-20-2017, 08:35 PM

...and how did they fare in recruiting?

https://i.imgur.com/uRGb8io.gif

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2017, 08:39 PM
...and how did they fare in recruiting?

https://i.imgur.com/uRGb8io.gif

74th

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Today's results tell me Coach made the right choice.

He could have done that anyway. Peterson, Austin and Gibson locked down this class.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 08:43 PM
74th

Well, they're SMU. About what's expected.

DogsofAnarchy
12-20-2017, 08:45 PM

21-3 Sonny getting his ass handed to him. How is that working out for Ole Sonny boy?

msstate7
12-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Well, they're SMU. About what's expected.

80th in 2017
75th in 2016

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 08:50 PM
21-3 Sonny getting his ass handed to him. How is that working out for Ole Sonny boy?

Yeah, that's totally irrelevant and Sonny has had 5 practices with the team.

Cooterpoot
12-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Not many coaches taking over ever coach the bowl game. SMU staff hauled ass.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Also, Sonny got the job a week ago and is playing on signing day. In his case, I think he should have sat this one out. Our coach was hired 3 weeks ago and we play Dec. 30th. That's a big difference.

Crazy situation on campus in the football offices with basically 2 different staffs working at the same time for a month. My first post was not to debate this topic again, but to simply point out that it does happen at other places. Several of you in this thread and others said what we are doing is standard. And that's simply not true. In fact if Cohen had it to do over, I think he would do it differently and so would Moorhead.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Good way to start off the coaching gig.

DogsofAnarchy
12-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Also, Sonny got the job a week ago and is playing on signing day. In his case, I think he should have sat this one out. Our coach was hired 3 weeks ago and we play Dec. 30th. That's a big difference.

Crazy situation on campus in the football offices with basically 2 different staffs working at the same time for a month. My first post was not to debate this topic again, but to simply point out that it does happen at other places. Several of you in this thread and others said what we are doing is standard. And that's simply not true. In fact if Cohen had it to do over, I think he would do it differently and so would Moorhead.

Nope!! Don’t believe either one of them would do it differently. Sorry, we are just gonna differ on this topic. And I’m ok with that. Because this side of the argument is the right side.

Todd4State
12-20-2017, 09:04 PM

I doubt he would change anything. And it's not really two staffs working at the same time- it's Moorhead's staff now. What's left of the Country Club is working on the bowl game for the most part.

And as others have said this doesn't appear to be working out so well for SMU. Unless they're trying to set a Frisco Bowl record for turnovers and points allowed.

The bottom line is our bowl is basically a scrimmage where our guys get to go to Florida and the school gets a bunch of money out of it.

RezDog7
12-20-2017, 09:42 PM

Life comes at you fast.

Maroonthirteen
12-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Just for sake of conversation, Jimbo and company are busy recruiting at Texas A&M. While the old staff, minus Sumlin are prepping for the bowl. Very awkward situation for a school that specializes in awkward.

12-20-2017, 09:49 PM

You sound stupid. Just let it go.

Coach34
12-20-2017, 09:51 PM

This all day

Cutcliffe didnt have a problem taking over OM and coaching their bowl game- winning it in just a few weeks after his hire

HoopsDawg
12-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Just for sake of conversation, Jimbo and company are busy recruiting at Texas A&M. While the old staff, minus Sumlin are prepping for the bowl. Very awkward situation for a school that specializes in awkward.

It's not going well for teams in bowl games that lost their staff. Bet accordingly.

ckDOG
12-21-2017, 12:44 AM

Who cares? It could be stated that he is coaching or isn?t coaching and 95% of fans wouldn?t be able to tell the difference regardless of reality. Not enough time to change any schemes other than a wrinkle or two. There?s no right or wrong answer bc it simply doesn?t matter. It?s a bonus game.

PCHSDawg
12-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Just for the record, he wasted his time.

Bubb Rubb
12-21-2017, 07:48 AM
He could have done that anyway. Peterson, Austin and Gibson locked down this class.

This is ignorant. The head coach closes. Nobody is coming to the school because of a recruiting coordinator. Moorhead closed this class, and it was the right way for him to spend his time ahead of a meaningless bowl game.

smootness
12-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Who cares? It could be stated that he is coaching or isn?t coaching and 95% of fans wouldn?t be able to tell the difference regardless of reality. Not enough time to change any schemes other than a wrinkle or two. There?s no right or wrong answer bc it simply doesn?t matter. It?s a bonus game.

This is the correct answer. Why do we care much either way? He will coach our team Game 1 of next year, so....why does the coach of the bowl game matter?

Dawgface
12-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Moorhead will be at the game. The players are auditioning for playing time next year. I have to believe the guys will be playing hard to impress. Not the same as Moorhead coaching the game but his presence should be a benefit.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Joe was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Many keyboard jockeys on here who have bunched their panties up have told us repeatedly about how Moorhead being a Yankee meant there was no way he could establish ties with coaches or mamma's without some good ol' Mississippi boy heppin'. Not to mention Joe hired some devil of a coach who (gasp) played at Old Missus, who would sell us down the river in a moment to help the Lost Cause. If Moorhead had coached the bowl and lost this class - many of the same people criticism him for not coaching the bowl would be apoplectic with rage about how "Moorhead was a terrible hire who knows nothing about recruiting in the SEC."

This game is meaningless. As important as the the 2018 and 2019 classes are, it will pay huge dividends that Moorhead got out on the road like he did, solidified this class, and started making relationships now. And who knows, maybe this team surprises everyone next Saturday and plays with their hair on fire to prove a point to Dan and send the Seniors out with a W.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Joe was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Many keyboard jockeys on here who have bunched their panties up have told us repeatedly about how Moorhead being a Yankee meant there was no way he could establish ties with coaches or mamma's without some good ol' Mississippi boy heppin'. Not to mention Joe hired some devil of a coach who (gasp) played at Old Missus, who would sell us down the river in a moment to help the Lost Cause. If Moorhead had coached the bowl and lost this class - many of the same people criticism him for not coaching the bowl would be apoplectic with rage about how "Moorhead was a terrible hire who knows nothing about recruiting in the SEC."

This game is meaningless. As important as the the 2018 and 2019 classes are, it will pay huge dividends that Moorhead got out on the road like he did, solidified this class, and started making relationships now. And who knows, maybe this team surprises everyone next Saturday and plays with their hair on fire to prove a point to Dan and send the Seniors out with a W.

I would not say it is meaningless. If we somehow can win, we would finish the year ranked and probably start next season top 20. I think our fanbase has taken the position that the game is meaningless bc we have no real hope of winning it. If Mullen stayed and we were in the same game trying to lock down a top 20 ranking, this game would not be meaningless

TrapGame
12-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Spot Effing On!!

was21
12-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Better to stick to hoops

DownwardDawg
12-21-2017, 09:09 AM

It seems as though you don't live in reality. What we KNOW FOR A FACT, is what happened yesterday. It was a win for Coach JoeMo and MSU. We have no earthly idea what would have happened if he'd have done things differently. I like living in facts not speculation.

Wet Dawg
12-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Agreed 100%.

The bowl game is all about the 15 extra practices. The outcome of the game means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2017, 09:21 AM
I would not say it is meaningless. If we somehow can win, we would finish the year ranked and probably start next season top 20. I think our fanbase has taken the position that the game is meaningless bc we have no real hope of winning it. If Mullen stayed and we were in the same game trying to lock down a top 20 ranking, this game would not be meaningless

It is meaningless. As much as I would like a Top 20 finish for these kids, it will have 0 impact on next year. Even with all that we have coming back, the media doesn't believe in MSU. Never have. And as 2014 & 2017 proved - you string together 3 early OOC wins with 2-3 early SEC wins and the polls will reflect the work. Go ahead and be ready for us to be picked between 5-7 in the West at SEC media days and be ranked about 30th going into the season. We could have won OM and the Gator and finished 10-3 and all of the above would still be true (see 2015 pre-season polls for proof.)

msstate7
12-21-2017, 09:24 AM
It is meaningless. As much as I would like a Top 20 finish for these kids, it will have 0 impact on next year. Even with all that we have coming back, the media doesn't believe in MSU. Never have. And as 2014 & 2017 proved - you string together 3 early OOC wins with 2-3 early SEC wins and the polls will reflect the work. Go ahead and be ready for us to be picked between 5-7 in the West at SEC media days and be ranked about 30th going into the season. We could have won OM and the Gator and finished 10-3 and all of the above would still be true (see 2015 pre-season polls for proof.)
Finishing 2010 with our big win over Michigan had us preseason #20 in both preseason 2011 polls.

http://www.collegefootballcafeteria.com/rankings/2011-preseason-college-football-rankings/

BiscuitEater
12-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Just for the record, Sonny Dykes is coaching SMU tonight in the bowl game

Just for the 'record' .. SMU signed 7 total .. 4 3-stars and 3 2-stars!

Wanna compare that with what MSU signed yesterday? Maybe Sonny shoulda been out 'cruting instead.

Cooterpoot
12-21-2017, 09:32 AM
I like the fact we're evaluating everybody instead of coaching. I'm also glad we aren't trying to show any of our new offense/defense before next season. Spring will be fun this year for more than just baseball.

Coach34
12-21-2017, 10:09 AM
For the 100th time- the offense WOULD NOT have to have been changed for the bowl game. 50% of college offenses are the same shit- its just called something different at each school. Inside zone is inside zone at every damn school in the country. Zone stretch is the same thing. etc

Mullen didnt take the offense with him to Fla and leave the team with nothing

basedog
12-21-2017, 10:26 AM
For the 100th time- the offense WOULD NOT have to have been changed for the bowl game. 50% of college offenses are the same shit- its just called something different at each school. Inside zone is inside zone at every damn school in the country. Zone stretch is the same thing. etc

Mullen didnt take the offense with him to Fla and leave the team with nothing

Joe is doing it the right way, getting to know recruits, recruiting, getting to know current players, scouting, organizing his new staff and evaluating is way more important with his time time that spending all of his time practicing.

This was his plan and Cohen's plan so way question what they are doing? Hey, Msu fans ain't buying into the Gator Bowl and now some ED folks think it's a mistake that Joe ain't doing it the right way. Please!!!!

Back to the agenda boys***

Coach34
12-21-2017, 10:37 AM
It's ok to have an opinion big guy

basedog
12-21-2017, 10:51 AM
It's ok to have an opinion big guy

Yes it, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I wasn't necessarily calling you out, like you say, it's ok as long as it's just that, opinion.

dparker
12-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I really don't feel strongly one way or the other but this is why I would have wanted him to coach the 15 practices. So that he could start getting the players used to how he wants to run practices and the new terminology. Not so we can win the bowl game but so we can be a little further along the learning curve come spring. But I'm also very pleased how he kept the recruiting class together and there is no guarantee that he could have done both.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Finishing 2010 with our big win over Michigan had us preseason #20 in both preseason 2011 polls.

http://www.collegefootballcafeteria.com/rankings/2011-preseason-college-football-rankings/

Boy that got that one wrong didn't they? They were so wrong picking us pre-season Top 20 in 2011 that we haven't been ranked pre-season since.

msstate7
12-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Boy that got that one wrong didn't they? They were so wrong picking us pre-season Top 20 in 2011 that we haven't been ranked pre-season since.

We were there though. Being there is always better than not being there. Finishing this year ranked over not being ranked is better

Turfdawg67
12-21-2017, 12:31 PM
This is ignorant. The head coach closes. Nobody is coming to the school because of a recruiting coordinator. Moorhead closed this class, and it was the right way for him to spend his time ahead of a meaningless bowl game.

One of many he?s been spouting lately.

Jarius
12-21-2017, 12:49 PM

The last thing we need is our new head coach to coach his first game and get his ass kicked because half of the staff has left and he's playing against a Heisman winning QB with his backup qb. I can only imagine what all of the Chicken Littles in our fan base would do after that shit show. Last night's game was a prime example of how to damper enthusiasm for a new head coach before he even gets started.

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2017, 01:20 PM
The last thing we need is our new head coach to coach his first game and get his ass kicked because half of the staff has left and he's playing against a Heisman winning QB with his backup qb. I can only imagine what all of the Chicken Littles in our fan base would do after that shit show. Last night's game was a prime example of how to damper enthusiasm for a new head coach before he even gets started.

I originally wanted Coach Moorhead to coach the bowl game but I am all for whatever is best for 2018. He can evaluate and work with the players which will benefit us. The most important thing was the recruiting class. We got some immediate help at WR and TE that we needed for 2018. We also got our future QB and possibly some depth on the Oline if Dollar Bill doesn't redshirt. We just need to improve at corner which Marcus Murphy might help at nickel at least.

It would be great to get some momentum with a win against Louisville but that was further down the list of what was important. As long as Sirmon is calling the defense for UofL then we have a chance.

sandwolf
12-21-2017, 03:50 PM
If Moorhead had coached the bowl and lost this class - many of the same people criticism him for not coaching the bowl would be apoplectic with rage about how "Moorhead was a terrible hire who knows nothing about recruiting in the SEC."

http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhirv9cvS21qdtfdbo1_400.gif