PDA

View Full Version : Cubs rumor

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm hearing that there's a good chance they get Joe Girardi to be their next manager. The rumor is that this has been in the works for awhile now and that is why the Cubs got rid of Sveum.

Girardi's contract runs out in 2013, and the Yankees are old and bogged down with bad contracts and their farm system is barren. They're desperately trying to get out of the A-Rod contract as it is. And Robinson Cano is going to demand a huge contract as well and could be gone- (Angels?)

Girardi is from the Chicago area- and I think he played baseball at Northwestern- plus the Cubs have some really good young prospects coming up. They could conceivably take on a contract like Cano's and not get hit too bad. Especially now that Soriano is gone. Although- middle infield isn't a big need for the Cubs.

engie
09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Have been hearing similar...

bully99
09-30-2013, 07:20 PM
The talking heads on ESPN tonight said he was likely to stay with the Yankees.

messageboardsuperhero
09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
The Yankees and Angels are learning the hard way why it's stupid to give guys in their early 30s 8-10 year contracts. You used to see 40 year olds on steroids produce at a really high level, but that's not the case anymore.

I hope Girardi does go to Chicago. I'd eventually like to see the Cubs be good again like they were in the early 00s. There is some young talent in that system.

Dawg61
09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Cano is NOT worth 300 mill. He's absurd to even suggest it. He's saying he's 3x the player Dustin Pedroia is? What a 17ing joke! He's been hanging with JayZ and Mayweather too much.

Will James
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Cano is NOT worth 300 mill..

Probably worth 225 mil

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
The talking heads on ESPN tonight said he was likely to stay with the Yankees.

They don't report rumors and if they do, they usually take the safe road.

War Machine Dawg
09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Cano is NOT worth 300 mill. He's absurd to even suggest it. He's saying he's 3x the player Dustin Pedroia is? What a 17ing joke! He's been hanging with JayZ and Mayweather too much.

It's called negotiating. You ask for more than you want, so when you start working toward an actual number, you wind up getting an amount you want. And if someone is willing to pay him $300M, then he's worth it.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:20 PM
The Yankees and Angels are learning the hard way why it's stupid to give guys in their early 30s 8-10 year contracts. You used to see 40 year olds on steroids produce at a really high level, but that's not the case anymore.

I hope Girardi does go to Chicago. I'd eventually like to see the Cubs be good again like they were in the early 00s. There is some young talent in that system.

What has changed is a team will get a guy like Bryce Harper and they will give them a long term deal up front so that he doesn't leave until he's 32-34. In the old days, the Yankees used to get these guys when they were in their late 20's. Now they are getting them when they are 34-36. And if they do get someone in their late 20's, it's usually someone like Curtis Granderson who is expendable.

What's sad about the Angels is they KNOW that the way they are doing things isn't going to work long term. At least the Yankees have kind of gotten caught in the middle of a culture change.

Coach34
09-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Epstein doesnt make a move without having his next move in mind and nearly set. It may not be Giradi, but Epstein probably already knows who its going to be.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
It's called negotiating. You ask for more than you want, so when you start working toward an actual number, you wind up getting an amount you want. And if someone is willing to pay him $300M, then he's worth it.

Exactly. And since he's teammates with guys like A-Rod, Granderson, Jeter, Texeria, and CC- and he's more productive than all of them, he has a case as far as why he is worth that much. And it's also why Mike Trout is licking his chops right now with the Angels when you compare his production to Pujols and Hamilton.

Will James
09-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike Trout is licking his chops right now with the Angels when you compare his production to Pujols and Hamilton.

Now there's a guy worth 300M

msstate7
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Think the cubs will give sandberg a call?

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Think the cubs will give sandberg a call?

I would say it's quite possible. Even though he just got a long term deal with the Phillies. And because of that, I doubt he would take the Cubs job.

nemsdawg
09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
For some reason Sandberg continues to get passed over. I can't see Epstein taking a chance. He needs to have results. Soon.

C222
09-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Sandberg is managing the Phillies

Will James
09-30-2013, 11:19 PM
If I'm the Cubbies I'm going after Joe Maddon

nemsdawg
09-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Forgot about him taking the Phiilies over and signing a deal. The Phillies have been so irrelevant I forgot they had a team.

Todd4State
10-01-2013, 12:15 AM
If I'm the Cubbies I'm going after Joe Maddon

I love Maddon. I think he's the best in the game right now.