PDA

View Full Version : Austin Sexton

messageboardsuperhero
09-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Just read Swindoll's interview with Sexton. I knew he was good, but apparently he was projected a 3-5 rounder before his ACL injury this January.

Todd, MsState, or anyone else who might know, how is his knee? Will he be good for the fall, and if not, will he be ready for the start of the season? I really don't know the first thing about ACL injuries with pitchers, so maybe someone can help. I've always had pretty high expectations for him down the road, but he could probably be even better that I thought.

Coach34
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Needs a full year- he should be full speed in January. He can do a number of things though in FallBall- and could possibly be cleared- but I wouldnt have him torquing that knee yet on the bump

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
He will be ready to start the season. I don't expect him to have a major impact early in his career anyway- mainly because of the knee injury plus what we have coming back. He will be used pretty lightly out of the bullpen and may get a spot start against a SWAC team or against a mid-week team if we play six games in a week. Then we'll send him off somewhere like California and let him get some innings and then he will compete for a spot in the rotation as a sophomore. So, he will have plenty of time to heal.

With a pitcher and this type of an injury, it kind of depends on which knee that was injured. If it's the leg he pushes off the rubber of, it's slightly more concerning than it is the leg he lands on. A pitcher's velocity comes from his lower half, so you have to worry about velocity a little bit more as a freshman- but from what I've heard, he should be fine.

I saw Sexton pitch pre-injury in a Perfect Game showcase in Minnesota and he is pretty advanced as a pitcher relative to his age. He will be a weekend rotation guy for us along with Dakota Hudson and probably one of the lefties- either Vance Tatum or Glenn Irby down the road.

messageboardsuperhero
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
He will be ready to start the season. I don't expect him to have a major impact early in his career anyway- mainly because of the knee injury plus what we have coming back. He will be used pretty lightly out of the bullpen and may get a spot start against a SWAC team or against a mid-week team if we play six games in a week. Then we'll send him off somewhere like California and let him get some innings and then he will compete for a spot in the rotation as a sophomore. So, he will have plenty of time to heal.

With a pitcher and this type of an injury, it kind of depends on which knee that was injured. If it's the leg he pushes off the rubber of, it's slightly more concerning than it is the leg he lands on. A pitcher's velocity comes from his lower half, so you have to worry about velocity a little bit more as a freshman- but from what I've heard, he should be fine.

I saw Sexton pitch pre-injury in a Perfect Game showcase in Minnesota and he is pretty advanced as a pitcher relative to his age. He will be a weekend rotation guy for us along with Dakota Hudson and probably one of the lefties- either Vance Tatum or Glenn Irby down the road.

Thanks, and yeah, that's pretty much the plan I figured Butch and Cohen would have for him.

I'm high on Irby too. He's got a pretty interesting delivery, and I bet he's consistently in the 90s by the time he fills out.

State82
09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Any chance he redshirts?

MsStateBaseball
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
CB wasn't kidding when it ranked us #2. We are on the dawn of greatness.

engie
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Any chance he redshirts?

You don't redshirt a guy that's an early round MLB talent -- even if you do just expect a fairly minimal contribution in year 1. Some contribution > no contribution. This would have been like redshirting Renfroe or Stratton only to see them leave as RS SO -- nevermind that we probably never end up getting quite the production out of them without the extra year of experience...

As we become truly elite -- like it appears we are in the process of doing -- we are going to get "decimated" by the draft practically every year. A large percentage of our starters/contributors from here on out are going to most likely be 3 yr guys. There might be some system/redshirt guys -- but the number is going to go down...

State82
09-30-2013, 07:42 PM
You don't redshirt a guy that's an early round MLB talent -- even if you do just expect a fairly minimal contribution in year 1. Some contribution > no contribution. This would have been like redshirting Renfroe or Stratton only to see them leave as RS SO -- nevermind that we probably never end up getting quite the production out of them without the extra year of experience...

As we become truly elite -- like it appears we are in the process of doing -- we are going to get "decimated" by the draft practically every year. A large percentage of our starters/contributors from here on out are going to most likely be 3 yr guys. There might be some system/redshirt guys -- but the number is going to go down...

Yeah, I see your point. Especially with regard to future contributors if we continue on the track Cohen presently has set. Regardless, the future probably has never looked brighter on the diamond than it does now.

MsStateBaseball
09-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Baseball recruiting is three years not 4 or 5 like football. Next year, Rea, Woody, Lindgren, Holder, etc, have a good shot at the draft. We got one more month to signing day so commits will be rolling in for 2014. Got to replace these guys.

AlSwearengen
09-30-2013, 08:07 PM
todd or engie or msstatebaseball, could you guys compile a list of the pitchers that came in with this class and if you know what round talent they have (assuming that they had been signable) list that along with the type pitcher you see them being (starter, reliever, etc.)? Thanks

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks, and yeah, that's pretty much the plan I figured Butch and Cohen would have for him.

I'm high on Irby too. He's got a pretty interesting delivery, and I bet he's consistently in the 90s by the time he fills out.
They're working with Irby's motion more than any of the other freshmen pitchers' right now. They're experimenting with making him a Girado 2.0 since he already has a similar 3/4 motion.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Baseball recruiting is three years not 4 or 5 like football. Next year, Rea, Woody, Lindgren, Holder, etc, have a good shot at the draft. We got one more month to signing day so commits will be rolling in for 2014. Got to replace these guys.

Exactly- we have to think about baseball recruiting in cycles of three years as opposed to four unless we are sure a guy is like a Pollorena or Ross Mitchell. LSU has an uncanny ability to keep their guys for four years though- of course they usually don't translate in pro ball.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 08:38 PM
todd or engie or msstatebaseball, could you guys compile a list of the pitchers that came in with this class and if you know what round talent they have (assuming that they had been signable) list that along with the type pitcher you see them being (starter, reliever, etc.)? Thanks

JUCO guys:

Paul Young- SEC weekend starter, top 5 round
Ben Hudspeth- relief pitcher. I've seen him pitch in high school and he's tough as nails.
Luke Laster- relief pitcher.

High School guys:

Dakota Hudson- SEC weekend starter, top five round and has a legit chance at being a first round pick.
Vance Tatum- SEC weekend starter, top ten round
Austin Sexton- SEC weekend starter, top ten round
Zac Houston- SEC weekend starter, possible closer, top ten round
Glenn Irby- relief pitcher, top 15 round
Jacob Billingsley- relief pitcher, top 20 round
Avery Geyer- relief pitcher, possible closer, top ten round
Levi Mintz- relief pitcher

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 08:39 PM
In the 2014 class, Jesse McCord is going to be a potential draft pick as well. I like Andrew Mahoney a lot as well even though he will sit out this year because of Tommy John surgery.

messageboardsuperhero
09-30-2013, 08:45 PM
In the 2014 class, Jesse McCord is going to be a potential draft pick as well. I like Andrew Mahoney a lot as well even though he will sit out this year because of Tommy John surgery.

I think McCord could be as good as Stratton circa 2012 if we can get him on campus. He's that good and reminds me a little of Aaron Nola.

Mahoney was a steal too, assuming he recovers from Tommy John.

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:01 PM
I think McCord could be as good as Stratton circa 2012 if we can get him on campus. He's that good and reminds me a little of Aaron Nola.

Mahoney was a steal too, assuming he recovers from Tommy John.

I think McCord throws a little bit harder than Nola. McCord reminds me a lot of Graveman. They're about the same size and have similar deliveries. I think McCord is further along at this point than Graveman was.

I saw a recent study on Tommy John surgery and there is an 85% chance of full recovery. Very good calculated risk in taking Mahoney.

engie
09-30-2013, 09:17 PM
I bet in modern times and/or with the doctors that these guys would actually use, it's higher than 85%. You almost don't hear of Tommy John ending careers anymore...

Todd4State
09-30-2013, 09:26 PM
I bet in modern times and/or with the doctors that these guys would actually use, it's higher than 85%. You almost don't hear of Tommy John ending careers anymore...

In my opinion, the biggest risk is a pitcher wanting to do too much too soon in rehab. And in the cases where it is unsuccessful, I would bet that's the reason why it isn't successful most of the time.

engie
09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
In my opinion, the biggest risk is a pitcher wanting to do too much too soon in rehab. And in the cases where it is unsuccessful, I would bet that's the reason why it isn't successful most of the time.

You are probably right here.

I went through something very similar personally...