PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Murphy

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Due to West Point being out of school tomorrow, Murphy just had his signing day ceremony at West Point.

Welcome and that is one sick ass helmet on the table

https://twitter.com/dlmiddleton8/status/943152649309958144

msstate7
12-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Outstanding. He will be a great player for us

Howboutdemdogs
12-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the Family, dig that sticker on the cowbell!

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Can we (State fans) tweet at him now? Ha!

MState > Alphabet scramble MSU

JoseBrown
12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the Family, dig that sticker on the cowbell!

Love to see that helmet back! Is there any way?

That ‘Dixon 24 Heisman’ got my attention...He’s the only player I’ve asked to sign my 40 year old cowbell!! Love it!

Commercecomet24
12-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Marcus is vastly underrated. This kid is a freak athlete who can do it all. Glad he?s a Dawg!

GoDawgz
12-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Cant wait to see him in Moorhead's offense!

Doggie_Style
12-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Marcus is vastly underrated. This kid is a freak athlete who can do it all. Glad he?s a Dawg!

This and then some^^^^^.....welcome Marcus and HailState!

Commercecomet24
12-19-2017, 12:36 PM
This and then some^^^^^.....welcome Marcus and HailState!

I cannot understand how Marcus isn't a high 4*. There's some recruiting analysts missed the boat on Marcus!

Bothrops
12-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Welcome Marcus Murphy!!!!

ATTILLA THE DOG
12-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Saban wanted him,that's alli need to know.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 12:45 PM
I cannot understand how Marcus isn't a high 4*. There's some recruiting analysts missed the boat on Marcus!

They missed on a number of guys this year.

Murphy should be a 93-94
Heath should be a 95
Jason is about right
K Johnson should be a 92
Jett Johnson should be an 89-90
Carvin is about right.
Cumbest should be an 89-90

Off the top of my head, all these guys are underrated.

Coach34
12-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Can we (State fans) tweet at him now? Ha!

MState > Alphabet scramble MSU

You shut your whore mouth!!! That helmet on that table is best we have ever had.

Commercecomet24
12-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Murphy should be a 93-94
Heath should be a 95
Jason is about right
K Johnson should be a 92
Carvin is about right.

Agreed. 100%, absolutely, dead on accurate. I would also add Mayden should be a composite 4*. No way he's not an across the board 4*.

Dawg61
12-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Put that helmet back in rotation!! Welcome Marcus glad to have you aboard

msstate7
12-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Murphy should be a 93-94
Heath should be a 95
Jason is about right
K Johnson should be a 92
Carvin is about right.

I thought everyone was skeptical of taking cumbest. He must have killed it at the ms-al game

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 01:21 PM
I thought everyone was skeptical of taking cumbest. He must have killed it at the ms-al game

He was a TE in a triple option offense.

Very difficult to evaluate.

msbulldog
12-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the family Marcus! You sure made a whole lot of us old Dawgs very happy.

Coursesuper
12-19-2017, 01:52 PM
He was a TE in a triple option offense.

Very difficult to evaluate.

Not triple option, worse a wing T.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 01:57 PM

Yikes

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Murphy should be a 93-94
Heath should be a 95
Jason is about right
K Johnson should be a 92
Carvin is about right.

Jett Johnson is right, he wasnt the hardest player to deal with on their defense. 48 was

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2017, 02:07 PM

He did kill it and hes got big time ball skills. He can go up and get it, caught several prayer balls in the state championship vs Noxubee that were dying ducks turned them into big gains

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Jett Johnson is right, he wasnt the hardest player to deal with on their defense. 48 was

That may be true, but his measurables + his late interest from Bama and OM lead me to believe there is real ability there.

You would know better than me if that ability was being maximized or not at Tupelo.

Gutter Cobreh
12-19-2017, 02:15 PM
You shut your whore mouth!!! That helmet on that table is best we have ever had.

This made me laugh...thanks for injecting some humor!!

On topic - Welcome Mr. Murphy!

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2017, 02:18 PM
That may be true, but his measurables + his late interest from Bama and OM lead me to believe there is real ability there.

You would know better than me if that ability was being maximized or not at Tupelo.

I think Johnson is a DL in the SEC. Just my opinion, not saying he's not a good player or that he didnt make tackles against us, I just think he lacks footspeed to play SEC LB. Now, I thought the same thing about Erroll Thompson when we signed him but he obviously proved me wrong

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Murphy should be mid 4*

Malik will get a chance to show if he's elite in Orlando

I think Whop is elite & should be a 95. Lacks top end speed but has everything else. Think AJ Brown

Dolla has the highest ceiling of maybe any recruit I've seen in the past 5-10yrs but I won't be surprised if he struggles in Orlando. He doesn't have much technique in Pass Pro & those quick DE's will eat him. It will be a great learning tool for him & he'll learn from it. If he holds his own down there he's a 95-97

Jett is a high 3* he doesn't do anything great just everything well I'm fine where he's at

Carvin is a 90-91 kid plays nasty & can move

Cumbest has all the tools but is very raw. He didn't run any routes just threw jump balls to him. High 3* is fine with me

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Murphy should be mid 4*

I think Whop is elite & should be a 95. Lacks top end speed but has everything else. Think AJ Brown

Dolla has the highest ceiling of maybe any recruit I've seen in the past 5-10yrs but I won't be surprised if he struggles in Orlando. He doesn't have much technique in Pass Pro & those quick DE's will eat him. It will be a great learning tool for him & he'll learn from it. If he holds his own down there he's a 95-97

Jett is a high 3* he doesn't do anything great just everything well I'm fine where he's at

Cumbest has all the tools but is very raw. He didn't run any routes just threw jump balls to him. High 3* is fine with me

Agreed on all points. Dolla bill got outquicked one play in the MS/AL game, next play though he got his hands on the kid and pancaked him. It was good to see

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Murphy should be mid 4*

Do you think the recruiting sites will have apathy towards raising the rating of players that have already signed?

I can agree with all you said. I agree Dolla has an elite ceiling but I said a 92 rating due to how raw he is. Once he redshirts and watches for a year, he should have every chance to start and be an elite LT as a RS sophomore

PMDawg
12-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Murphy should be mid 4*

Totally agree on Cumbest. One of the games I watched him play, he kept pushing off a 5'10" CB instead of just out jumping him for the ball. He also dropped 2-3 that hit him in the hands. They threw him about 8 jump balls that game and I want to say he only came down with a couple. 3 at the most. He has the size and is athletic, but he needs a lot of coaching when it comes to technique, route running, and just football IQ in general. I think he is a project with really high upside.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Do you think the recruiting sites will have apathy towards raising the rating of players that have already signed?

I can agree with all you said. I agree Dolla has an elite ceiling but I said a 92 rating due to how raw he is. Once he redshirts and watches for a year, he should have every chance to start and be an elite LT as a RS sophomore

If they see them again in all star games yea.

NWADAWG
12-19-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm glad they're underrated. I want a whole team full of very talented, underrated guys that carry a chip on their shoulder and have something to prove.

BigEasyDawg
12-19-2017, 03:18 PM
MM is all bulldawg through and through. Who cares what he is rated, he will be ready to wreck shop on everybody in the maroon and white.

sscjr1
12-19-2017, 03:40 PM
I've read where he may play CB. Thoughts?
BTW, I read that on a pay site.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2017, 04:11 PM

If Peters can handle CB, Murphy will have no problem.

DawgNamedScuba
12-19-2017, 04:16 PM

PAY SITE!!!!!!
https://media.giphy.com/media/10FokBHptvjbGM/giphy.gif

TrapGame
12-19-2017, 04:22 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/139/076/WhyWouldYouDoThat.gif

https://i.imgur.com/k0jPoN6.gif

Todd4State
12-19-2017, 04:41 PM
I think our guys are underrated in part because:

1. The recruiting web sites are lazy.

2. We don't have enough fans that are "in to" recruiting at crazy levels to the point where we have a lot of fans calling out their evaluators.

BorneDawg
12-19-2017, 05:05 PM

I'm with you 13 I don't like the MSJ helment either. Mate better by a long shot!

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 05:07 PM
I think our guys are underrated in part because:

1. The recruiting web sites are lazy.

2. We don't have enough fans that are "in to" recruiting at crazy levels to the point where we have a lot of fans calling out their evaluators.

I’m gonna slightly disagree here. I think our guys are mostly underrated due to the mechanics of recruiting. Follow me here.

- Programs only have a finite number of days that they can be on the road to recruit.
- Therefore, It makes most sense to concentrate most of your recruiting in high population areas where your coaches can meet with and evaluate more prospects within the finite number of days.
- Thus players from high population areas get more offers and also get more media attention due to proximity to media outlets.
- It’s well known that Mississippi players mostly stay close to home, so what’s the point in investing time and effort to recruit them?
- It’s human nature for most evaluators to become more comfortable in being aggressive with a players rating when others agree with him.
- Offers and media attention = evaluators being more aggressive with that players rating.

I don’t think there is a grand conspiracy against MSU recruiting but rather actual logistical and economical problems that prevent Mississippi players from getting the attention and respect they deserve. It’s also a very difficult thing for the recruiting services to fix.

gravedigger
12-19-2017, 05:36 PM

While that is very true, I'd just assume all our recruits are rated as a 1. Let everyone have their fun. A leader knows who is best for the mission/assignment/project. That is what ultimately counts. Mullen, for all his faults, saw the potential in Dak, Fitz, Bear, Ballard, Chris Jones, and many when others were star gazing at the next thug needing a trip to Hati.

I'm betting that after a spring practice with this coach, he'll have a better feel for who he needs to lead this team from a player standpoint as well as a coaching standpoint. Our kids now have instilled in them through Mullen that leadership must accompany talent or talent is wasted. I think that will mean that Moorhead has some decent heads and hearts to mold.

After hearing my nephew who was a trainer under Mullen describe the way he evaluated, I'm encouraged if a coach COMPLETELY ignores the star system that these websites use and uses their own set of criteria to measure by.

The bama bump isnt a freak occurance. It is what all decent reporters use to measure whether a kid is worth coveting. But just like golf swing advice from Ben Hogan, it is taylored to the needs of the person giving it. Bama recruits ITS needs, not msu's. Ben Hogan gave advice on what worked with HIS swing. Not yours.

It's time our fans looked at recruiting much more pragmatically. That is to say in the rearview mirror and not whether we are rated highly that year. What's funny is that we already know this to be true. The recruiting classes that went to Atlanta were hardly thought of highly at the time. But they were beasts. Good Lord, we had a redshirt freshman get us there.

Fitz is a phenomenal athlete and leader with a pretty tough chin. But Keyton is going to grow into this offense and achieve higher highs one day.

Murphy is a MASSIVE get for our program during change. But for many reasons other than a star rating. He's that hometown kid.

Todd4State
12-19-2017, 05:54 PM
I’m gonna slightly disagree here. I think our guys are mostly underrated due to the mechanics of recruiting. Follow me here.

- Programs only have a finite number of days that they can be on the road to recruit.
- Therefore, It makes most sense to concentrate most of your recruiting in high population areas where your coaches can meet with and evaluate more prospects within the finite number of days.
- Thus players from high population areas get more offers and also get more media attention due to proximity to media outlets.
- It’s well known that Mississippi players mostly stay close to home, so what’s the point in investing time and effort to recruit them?
- It’s human nature for most evaluators to become more comfortable in being aggressive with a players rating when others agree with him.
- Offers and media attention = evaluators being more aggressive with that players rating.

I don’t think there is a grand conspiracy against MSU recruiting but rather actual logistical and economical problems that prevent Mississippi players from getting the attention and respect they deserve. It’s also a very difficult thing for the recruiting services to fix.

Essentially all the recruiting web sites do is go to a few National things like the Opening and then they see who the blue bloods offer- Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. gets you more attention and probably another star by your name. They don't have the manpower or credentials to properly evaluate every state in the country. A lot of them are guys that haven't played football before and were selling shoes or something and got into recruiting.

I would imagine that most of the four star players from Mississippi either go to the Opening or have an offer from a blue blood or both.

So, yes- it's not a grand conspiracy against MSU. But it's still a bullshit system.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Essentially all the recruiting web sites do is go to a few National things like the Opening and then they see who the blue bloods offer- Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. gets you more attention and probably another star by your name. They don't have the manpower or credentials to properly evaluate every state in the country. A lot of them are guys that haven't played football before and were selling shoes or something and got into recruiting.

I would imagine that most of the four star players from Mississippi either go to the Opening or have an offer from a blue blood or both.

So, yes- it's not a grand conspiracy against MSU. But it's still a bullshit system.

Completely agree but you answered your own question about why it’s tough to fix.

The best thing MSU can do to change the perception is to win big.

Mullen was on his way to changing it, but he got credit for coaching up inferior talent rather than the recruiting sites realizing that the talent was far underrated.

If Moorhead repeats or exceeds Mullen’s success, it will be hard to justify that MSU just continues to have better coaching than everyone else.

TUSK
12-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Saban wanted him,that's alli need to know.

He did? I think you may have MM confused with Heath... regardless, it's 2 gooduns for you guys...

preachermatt83
12-19-2017, 06:59 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhvhIPtXyw

preachermatt83
12-19-2017, 07:00 PM
delete. Double post

msbulldog
12-19-2017, 07:14 PM
MM is all bulldawg through and through. Who cares what he is rated, he will be ready to wreck shop on everybody in the maroon and white.

Tell it Big Easy! Rep Given.

Spiderman
12-19-2017, 07:17 PM

The tight end in a wing T is about the only one who ever catches a pass. I'd love to play in a Wing T if I was a TE

Commercecomet24
12-19-2017, 07:30 PM
He did? I think you may have MM confused with Heath... regardless, it's 2 gooduns for you guys...

I don?t know about saban but pruitt sure was all over him.

TUSK
12-19-2017, 08:15 PM
I don?t know about saban but pruitt sure was all over him.

Copy that.... I just haven't seen his name mentioned (save here)... thanks.

Goldendawg
12-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Second the vote on the interlocking MSU, Coach 34! I know that I am showing my age and I know that MState is here to stay, but design it a tiny bit different that the one that Nike supposedly owns and has given to Montana State or whoever and work it in the uniform rotation for Marcus and the boys as often as wanted! Hail State!

Todd4State
12-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Completely agree but you answered your own question about why it’s tough to fix.

The best thing MSU can do to change the perception is to win big.

Mullen was on his way to changing it, but he got credit for coaching up inferior talent rather than the recruiting sites realizing that the talent was far underrated.

If Moorhead repeats or exceeds Mullen’s success, it will be hard to justify that MSU just continues to have better coaching than everyone else.

I agree and I think Moorhead will have more success than Dan in recruiting in the long run as well.

Commercecomet24
12-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Copy that.... I just haven't seen his name mentioned (save here)... thanks.

Yw. Hope you?re doing well, buddy.