PDA

View Full Version : Malike Newman

notsofarawaydawg
12-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Interesting article on "what's wrong with Kansas".

Link to article
(http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21803662/what-wrong-kansas-jayhawks)

Malik Newman is struggling

Newman was a McDonald's All American coming out of high school in Mississippi. He struggled as a freshman at Mississippi State and sat out at Kansas last season after transferring. While he's been more efficient this season, he's struggled the past four games, making 9 of 32 shots from the field. "Newman might not be the right fit at Kansas," one coach told ESPN. "He's just not a Bill Self-type player. He doesn't want to guard."

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Interesting article on "what's wrong with Kansas".

Link to article
(http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21803662/what-wrong-kansas-jayhawks)

Malik Newman is struggling

Newman was a McDonald's All American coming out of high school in Mississippi. He struggled as a freshman at Mississippi State and sat out at Kansas last season after transferring. While he's been more efficient this season, he's struggled the past four games, making 9 of 32 shots from the field. "Newman might not be the right fit at Kansas," one coach told ESPN. "He's just not a Bill Self-type player. He doesn't want to guard."

well, well, well.

msstate7
12-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Malik should transfer to someone who can maximize his talents, again... gotta be the coach, not him

Tbonewannabe
12-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Surprising since I figured Horatio had him go to KU so he could run the team like Russell Westbrook since he wanted to run point. His handlers are dumb as shit if they thought that Self would put up with any shit. He gets McD All Americans on the regular. He is close to an average recruit for them, maybe a little better but not worth putting up with no defense and not running the offense. If he wanted to go shoot 30 shots a game then he should have stayed in Jackson at JSU.

msstate7
12-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Surprising since I figured Horatio had him go to KU so he could run the team like Russell Westbrook since he wanted to run point. His handlers are dumb as shit if they thought that Self would put up with any shit. He gets McD All Americans on the regular. He is close to an average recruit for them, maybe a little better but not worth putting up with no defense and not running the offense. If he wanted to go shoot 30 shots a game then he should have stayed in Jackson at JSU.

Om

Bully13
12-18-2017, 12:10 PM
not having a lot of sympathy for Malik and his dad. shoulda listened to a guy whose put dozens into the league. but I guess those 2 were the experts and not Howland. like the dude said "can't fix stupid".

yjnkdawg
12-18-2017, 12:32 PM
not having a lot of sympathy for Malik and his dad. shoulda listened to a guy whose put dozens into the league. but I guess those 2 were the experts and not Howland. like the dude said "can't fix stupid".

You can probably make it 3 and add Omhar Carter's name.

DogsofAnarchy
12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Malik should transfer to someone who can maximize his talents, again... gotta be the coach, not him

People will figure it out someday!! Lol About 90% of the time in basketball it’s the kids fault for not being a TEAM player.

CovertDawg
12-18-2017, 01:15 PM
He matured early. Now all the skinny kids with long arms have caught up with and passed him. He can be a solid college player, maybe even make good money in Europe but he sort of is who is going to be at this point. Not an elite athlete. I could tell after about two seconds of watching Q and Malik play that Q had the bigger upside. The recruiting analysts whiffed on Malik.

Tbonewannabe
12-18-2017, 01:16 PM
People will figure it out someday!! Lol About 90% of the time in basketball it’s the kids fault for not being a TEAM player.

The AAU game is ruining team basketball. All they want to do is go one on one and show the moves that will get them to the league. People don't realize that the NBA over the past decade has went away from one on one and play more team ball now. Even the Warriors are clicking the best when they are spacing out and moving the ball to the open man. The teams winning Titles don't have anyone taking 20 - 30 shots unless they are just in the zone.

Dawg61
12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
I know one place that'll let Newman do whatever he wants. WKU

BeastMan
12-18-2017, 03:25 PM
I got roasted for saying i thought he didn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Monte Ellis and was more a Mo Williams talent. In hindsight, I waaaay oversold him. Mo had a great pro career that Malik will never touch. He was the most overhyped MS athlete of my lifetime.

Commercecomet24
12-18-2017, 03:33 PM
I got roasted for saying i thought he didn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Monte Ellis and was more a Mo Williams talent. In hindsight, I waaaay oversold him. Mo had a great pro career that Malik will never touch. He was the most overhyped MS athlete of my lifetime.

You are correct, sir!

Spiderman
12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
As I posted a few months ago. Richard Williams had the best take on Newman... "is a great 1 on 1 offensive player with good skills, but has been individually coached almost exclusively. Doesn't have enough team coaching or experience, offensively and especially defensively. A very talented player, but should have been more team prepared. Until he does that, he won't be what he can be. By not making the team better, he can't become better himself. Daryl Wilson scored a ton of points, but did it by making the team better, therefore getting a lot of open looks."

BeastMan
12-18-2017, 11:17 PM
As much as I respect coach Williams assertion, Malik just isn’t a great athlete. He’s the exact same athlete he was in 9th grade. Watching Monte in person was like watching a lightning bolt striking he was so fast. Fastest guy I’ve ever seen with the dribble. Mo was lightning quick and could fill it up from everywhere. Both looked incredibly natural doing it too. Malik wasn’t as explosive as either of those 2 or as smooth.