PDA

View Full Version : How do we stop Landry & Beckham?

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Folks, enough with the Ole Miss excuses, we have a real deal football game on campus this weekend, and MSU must figure out how to contain Landry and Beckham.

I sincerely believe we should be able to run the ball and stop their run. With Dak at QB and LSU's unique ability to blow coverages, I think we match up pretty well offensively. Our front 4 are as good as anyone's in the country, and, therefore, I think we can keep LSU's running game under control.

However, I have no earthly idea how we are going to contain Landry and Beckham with our secondary. We lack the size, strength, and speed to do so, and this is, without a doubt, the single biggest mismatch on the field Saturday night.

Here are my only thoughts, and please feel free to add to them:

1. If we have one of the best front 4s in the country, then we should hopefully be able to stop LSU's running game and get some pressure on Met without having to stack the box. This could offer us an extra man in the secondary.

2. Should we play bump & run with our corners and attempt to knock bigger stronger WRs off their patterns, or should we play off and keep them in from of us?

Political Hack
09-30-2013, 11:36 AM
pray. a lot.

BeastMan
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
The way you stop those receivers is simple: make their QB very uncomfortable.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
pray. a lot.

Yes, I nice 40 mph gale force wind would be nice. Praying is certainly part of the equation.

cheewgumm
09-30-2013, 11:39 AM
done and done

The way you stop those receivers is simple: make their QB very uncomfortable.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I'll say this, we did pretty well against Hunter and Patterson for Tennessee last year, but I don't think Bray was as good as Met

SnakePlissken
I agree with Hack and Steve. I don't think our guys can really hang with the LSU receivers for an entire game so we will have to pressure the QB more so than we've done to a QB in the last 2 years. Can this be the game where we finally see what we've all begged for the last 2 seasons - real pressure on the QB that can impact a game?

SignalToNoise
We can't totally stop them. Slow them down, maybe, but not stop.

Do it like BeastMan said- by pressuring the QB.

bully99
09-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Put a bigun here and a bigun there and knock the hell out of 'em.

Boya
09-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Folks, enough with the Ole Miss excuses, we have a real deal football game on campus this weekend, and MSU must figure out how to contain Landry and Beckham.

I sincerely believe we should be able to run the ball and stop their run. With Dak at QB and LSU's unique ability to blow coverages, I think we match up pretty well offensively. Our front 4 are as good as anyone's in the country, and, therefore, I think we can keep LSU's running game under control.

However, I have no earthly idea how we are going to contain Landry and Beckham with our secondary. We lack the size, strength, and speed to do so, and this is, without a doubt, the single biggest mismatch on the field Saturday night.

1. If we have one of the best front 4s in the country, then we should hopefully be able to stop LSU's running game and get some pressure on Met without having to stack the box. This could offer us an extra man in the secondary.

2. Should we play bump & run with our corners and attempt to knock bigger stronger WRs off their patterns, or should we play off and keep them in from of us?

If they play like they did against UGA...we wont stop them. They had excellent play calling, WRs running precise routes, QB protection and Mett was making very accurate throws. When he was off target the freak WRs just went up and made a play. Realistically nobody can stop that.

However I don't think they will be able to match that level of play this week. Coming off the tough lose and being on the road against a team they will certainly be overlooking (because they always win) will hopefully lead to some mistakes. We must capitalize on the hangover and our off week by starting fast.

msstate7
09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
To do this we've gotta get something out of Autry, smith, and jones. I think our dl is gonna play well. If we're gonna slow those receivers down, our corners can't have to cover them long.

starkvegasdawg
09-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Do what the Patriots did to Tony Gonzalez last night in Atlanta. After he torched them all game they double teamed him on their drive to try and tie the game. As soon as the ball was snapped they hit him like the gunner on a punt and never let him run a route. That last drive he never got more than two yards off the line and became a non-factor.

Coach34
09-30-2013, 12:14 PM
well, first of all- we are better on defense than Georgia.
Secondly, we have had 2 weeks to prepare- so that helps a whole helluva lot

We have to do to them what good defenses do to offenses- make them one-dimensional and keep them in as many long situations as possible.

1. We have to limit runs by Hill with our front so we dont have to creep safeties into the box
2. If we do that, we will defend the pass better. It's lot easier to play pass D when you know a pass is coming. You can vary looks and sub in extra DB's when it is 2nd and 8 or 9 as opposed to 2nd and 5.

3. We have to run the football on offense to help the D. Look at the OM-Bama game as well as our game vs LSU in 2011. You can be ready to play and only play good defense for so long- your offense has to move the football and score some points so that you arent playing defense the whole damn game. The more chances LSU gets, the more points they will put on the board.

We had some success with Tyler throwing to our SR WR's last year- but he still only put up 10 points (Dakota threw TD)- plus he threw a Pick-6. We have to run the football, control the clock as much as possible, and get in the damn end zone a few times to win this game. LSU will score 20-27 this week most likely- we cant have wasted ops

Oxfordawg
09-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Hire one of their GA's and get some code breaking going on

archdog
09-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Hire one of their GA's and get some code breaking going on

Make them eat a couple of the new hotdogs.

Political Hack
09-30-2013, 08:38 PM
if we let them motion into one on one matchups against Nickoe we're screwed. We're going to have to go Tampa-2 for most of the game and let our CBs play inside out. I expect they know that and will throw a lot of out and squirrel routes early to loosen us up. we're going to have to choose what we give up, and if we can get some pressure on Met, we should be able to play a little bump and run with a single safety as the game goes on.

I hate starting out conservatively on defense, but until LSU shows they can run against our front seven I wouldn't bring up a safety and risk a heart breaking big play.

Dallas_Dawg
09-30-2013, 09:09 PM
It sucks for us fans and tailgating, but it appears to be a 60% chance of rain on Saturday.
This definitely plays in our favor as we are a run- first team, and their strength is passing with ZM and crew.
We would have a chance in a sloppy, grind it out defensive game. Otherwise, those receivers scare the living hell out of me, especially the deep middle of the field.

Political Hack
09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Beckham can split two safeties deep as well as anybody in college football right now.

thf24
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't think we can play bump and run. Those receivers have the size to power through the bump and the speed to toast our corners before they can get turned around. Better to keep them in front of us and take our chances trying to get pressure with our front four.

whosyourdawgy
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
If damn Beckham hadn't muffed the dang punt, the Tigers wouldn't be so pissed off coming to Starkvile. He cost LSU the UGA game period

Political Hack
09-30-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't think we can play bump and run. Those receivers have the size to power through the bump and the speed to toast our corners before they can get turned around. Better to keep them in front of us and take our chances trying to get pressure with our front four.

only if we can get to Met on a 2-3 count. That's the only way I'd ever come up on them.