PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Speaks about His Battle of Taking MSU's Coach

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2017, 05:08 PM
This is a pretty interesting article and the comments to the tweet are pretty good as well.
https://twitter.com/SECCountryMSU/status/940683516676837376

My issue is a few things:

- Scott you got yourself in this situation by going to Florida in the first place. Sure you had to do what was best for Florida, but you put yourself in this position & showed you were all about Scott & not about your state or the people of Mississippi. I get that it's a business, but it's a business for MSU as well.

- If you truly meant any of the BS you just spouted, then you would tell Don to stop recruiting MSU commitments immediately. Ok, you had to do what was best for Florida, but at least have some class with the recruiting & the blurring of ethical lines. Florida was not recruiting any of these players before Don took over, & Don's relationship with those players was developed on MSU's dime. Again though, we know you are all about Scott, so it should come as no surprise the decision you also made on recruiting.

Irondawg
12-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Or it just proves that he's not really the ones calling the shots

Jarius
12-12-2017, 05:14 PM
He's a piece of shit. **** that guy.

Lord McBuckethead
12-12-2017, 05:26 PM
All he would have to do is publicly stop Mullen from recruiting our commits. Put a direct stop on all activities from FL on our commit list. That would fix the betrayal in my opinion. We will see what the State family means to him.

bulldogcountry1
12-12-2017, 05:27 PM
The dust has settled and I've had some time to calm down and try to see things objectively.

And he's still a major jackwagon for what he did and continues to do. Seriously, he shouldn't be allowed on campus.

ScoobaDawg
12-12-2017, 05:31 PM
This is a pretty interesting article and the comments to the tweet are pretty good as well.
https://twitter.com/SECCountryMSU/status/940683516676837376

My issue is a few things:

- Scott you got yourself in this situation by going to Florida in the first place. Sure you had to do what was best for Florida, but you put yourself in this position & showed you were all about Scott & not about your state or the people of Mississippi. I get that it's a business, but it's a business for MSU as well.

- If you truly meant any of the BS you just spouted, then you would tell Don to stop recruiting MSU commitments immediately. Ok, you had to do what was best for Florida, but at least have some class with the recruiting & the blurring of ethical lines. Florida was not recruiting any of these players before Don took over, & Don's relationship with those players was developed on MSU's dime. Again though, we know you are all about Scott, so it should come as no surprise the decision you also made on recruiting.

As a businessman you should understand all too well about both points. This world is built on success and at a lot of times that comes at a cost of loyalty.
Scott was open as can be when he was leaving and gave us a lot better successor that I believe he was ever for us. Do I think Scott is good enough to be AD at a top program like UF? No. but they do so that's on him to continue proving.
Scott has to do what's best for UF because that is his job. That goes against so much because of the high natured position he is in. He would and should be fired tomorrow if he every considered anything else but his current employer.

Do I like what Dan is doing recruiting our players? NO. but is it illegal? NO. If we lose anyone it's on us... we have to sell the university is more than just a coach and who we have now vs what Dan is selling.
The NCAA has no rules about poaching recruits when changing jobs. Should they? Maybe but that will never pass.

Scott said it best..and it's what will make people mad no matter what... Dan was gone.. If it wasn't to UF it would have been UT. Just because Scott is an Alum, doesn't change the fact he was doing his job for me.

HA1LSTATE
12-12-2017, 05:35 PM
17 scott...doing his job or not...

was21
12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
screw him and his guilt feelings. Having said that what he said is probably true. Having said that...screw him and his guilt feelings

Bodaski
12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I know its too early to tell, but I think the change will be another step forward. I thought DM had maxed out and I thought if we hit a homerun on his replacement we would be better off. I know JM has not coached our players or been here long enough to form an opinion. Its that gut feeling you get and usually that's a pretty sound indicator.

PassInterference
12-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Who?

Political Hack
12-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Strick and his family are the ones spouting Mullen was going to UT anyway. He wasn’t. He was turning down over $7 million with them to stay in Starkville for $5.7 million. I do think he would’ve went a lot of other places, but UT is not a dumpster fire he was stepping into. He was set to sign his extension as early as that Sunday then we all found out he was leaving. I don’t think he would’ve signed it even without UF coming in. He drug UT out with State to up the price at UF. Stricklin has justified hiring him behind closed doors by saying “he was leaving for UT anyway.” Simply not true and any State fan or mouthpiece that buys into that BS spew is buying a line of crap from Stricklin. Other people may want to still be nice to him and serve as his mouthpiece. I’m not one of them.

Johnson85
12-12-2017, 05:55 PM
All he would have to do is publicly stop Mullen from recruiting our commits. Put a direct stop on all activities from FL on our commit list. That would fix the betrayal in my opinion. We will see what the State family means to him.

So all he has to do is publicly torch his professional reputation and more or less ask to be fired for cause? That's it?

Dawgface
12-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Screw him.

Homedawg
12-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Strick and his family are the ones spouting Mullen was going to UT anyway. He wasn’t. He was turning down over $7 million with them to stay in Starkville for $5.7 million. I do think he would’ve went a lot of other places, but UT is not a dumpster fire he was stepping into. He was set to sign his extension as early as that Sunday then we all found out he was leaving. I don’t think he would’ve signed it even without UF coming in. He drug UT out with State to up the price at UF. Stricklin has justified hiring him behind closed doors by saying “he was leaving for UT anyway.” Simply not true and any State fan or mouthpiece that buys into that BS spew is buying a line of crap from Stricklin. Other people may want to still be nice to him and serve as his mouthpiece. I’m not one of them.

I'm sorry hack, you are wrong. Mullen was gone. I'm not assuming, I'm positive. I think you aren't great and everyone is wrong from time to time and this time is yours.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
So all he has to do is publicly torch his professional reputation and more or less ask to be fired for cause? That's it?

Again, Stricklin put himself in this position by prior decisions.

He deserved every bit of grief he gets. He signed up for it

Kind of like a mafia member claiming he shouldn't be held accountable for murders he was ordered to execute. Well.... if you hadn't agreed to be part of the mafia, then you wouldn't have been ordered to murder someone. Just an example obviously of someone making decisions that put them in position to do things they don't want to do. It's not an excuse.

When Scott left MSU, he made a decision. You can't have your cake & eat it too.

Acid mouth
12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
**** that guy

lefty96
12-12-2017, 06:25 PM
When Scott left MSU, he made a decision. You can't have your cake & eat it too.

Amen, this morning snlike his whiny open letter when he took he damn job. We don’t care.

HA1LSTATE
12-12-2017, 06:30 PM
would maybe have little respect for him if he stood up like a damn man and went all in...if you try to play both sides, you run the chance of ending up on none of them...soon enough even FL will see through him...weakness always shows itself at some point

Todd4State
12-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Two years from now I wouldn't be surprised if we're thanking Scott for taking him.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Scott Stricklin represents a lot of what is wrong with the state of Mississippi.

Sure he dresses nice & is a "nice guy" but he thinks he is better than Mississippi & too good for MSU. That's what his actions have stated.

And to everyone that agrees with him, but obviously don't get it either & don't get that the state of Mississippi needs quality people to invest in it rather than always chasing a dollar elsewhere.

How can MSU every convince recruits both student & athletes that MSU is best for them when our own people leave?

Spiderman
12-12-2017, 06:46 PM

That sounds good in a sweet happy world, but it's not feasible. You don't handcuff the guy you hired to win football games.

The only time an AD get involved in deciding who is recruited is when there is a legal issue.

bulldogcountry1
12-12-2017, 06:47 PM
I think Scott actually thought we would be proud of him for earning a gig in the big time. Mississippi boy doing good in the big world and all.

Whether we end up better off in the long run is irrelevant. If your second wife is better than your first, that doesn't make it okay that your first wife left you for your coworker...and then took half your stuff.

was21
12-12-2017, 06:47 PM
We know what Mullen did here and we don't know what Coach Joe is going to do here....and right now that makes a lot of difference. But I wouldn't be surprised either in two years if we're thankful that both of Stricklin and Mullen are gone

Mimi's Babies
12-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Glad Stricklin and wife are gone..... for sure...

ShotgunDawg
I think Scott actually thought we would be proud of him for earning a gig in the big time. Mississippi boy doing good in the big world and all.

Whether we end up better off in the long run is irrelevant. If your second wife is better than your first, that doesn't make it okay that your first wife left you for your coworker...and then took half your stuff.

Agree. Kind of glad an AD with the Mittiittippi Tate inferiority complex left.

He clearly didn’t believe in MSU like we do.

I’m so proud of him that I can’t wait to laugh when he gets shitcanned

DogsofAnarchy
“You are either with us or against us!!” The saying goes something like that. I don’t give a tinkers damn what Scott thinks or says anymore. He is against us.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2017, 06:50 PM
We know what Mullen did here and we don't know what Coach Joe is going to do here....and right now that makes a lot of difference. But I wouldn't be surprised either in two years if we're thankful that both of Stricklin and Mullen are gone

You could be right, but that has nothing to do with the wrong decisions Stricklin made

DogsofAnarchy
12-12-2017, 06:52 PM

I agree 100% !! Coach Joe is going to prove it wasn’t Mullen....it is Mississippi State !!

Political Hack
12-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry hack, you are wrong. Mullen was gone. I'm not assuming, I'm positive. I think you aren't great and everyone is wrong from time to time and this time is yours.

He was gone but UT was running a race from the same position we were... from behind. He was posturing for a bigger offer the whole time and nailed it. Kudos to him a Jimmy for getting the big fish.

Just from a practical stand point, to say he was going to UT is obviously premature and incorrect. He didn’t go there, so obviously a decision had not been finalized to go there.

I know what was being said from his agent, Strick on T-day, Cohen, Keenum, boosters, etc... but I think it was all posturing and us and UT ended up with a big ole pile of stink. UT’s coaching search had probably stopped. Cohen was smart enough to start one early, and Sexton was setting up the backdoor deal with Strick the whole time. He gave Strick the cover he needed to hire Mullen. And all y’all will forgive him for it by the time he leaves Starkville next September.

Bodaski
12-12-2017, 06:56 PM

My source had told me the vey same thing about Mullen and TN. Don't forget Fla had offered Chip Kelly 1st. Dan was their 3rd offer and I'm too lazy to look up the 2nd, but I'm thinking it was Scott Frost. Mullen was all in to TN when Fla offered him. That move dan made created a fire-storm for TN. I believe my source on this one for sure.

War Machine Dawg
12-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Here's all I have to say to that asshole:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/degrassi/images/2/2c/CR_so_****_you.gif/revision/latest?cb=20121023211824

DogsofAnarchy
12-12-2017, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Bodaski;858856]My source had told me the vey same thing about Mullen and TN. Don't forget Fla had offered Chip Kelly 1st. Dan was their 3rd offer and I'm too lazy to look up the 2nd, but I'm thinking it was Scott Frost. Mullen was all in to TN when Fla offered him. That move dan made created a fire-storm for TN. I believe my source on this one for sure.

UT had called a press conference to announce Dan Mullen when Dan Got a call from UF. He was smart enough not to sign anything until the dealing was done. With that said, **** him and Scott. They are gone and I will not forgive either of them. They used us and short changed us on work ethic and recruiting which cost us games. They waited to get something they think is better than MSU and they both jumped at it. Traitors.

Homedawg
12-12-2017, 07:08 PM
He was gone but UT was running a race from the same position we were... from behind. He was posturing for a bigger offer the whole time and nailed it. Kudos to him a Jimmy for getting the big fish.

Just from a practical stand point, to say he was going to UT is obviously premature and incorrect. He didn’t go there, so obviously a decision had not been finalized to go there.

I know what was being said from his agent, Strick on T-day, Cohen, Keenum, boosters, etc... but I think it was all posturing and us and UT ended up with a big ole pile of stink. UT’s coaching search had probably stopped. Cohen was smart enough to start one early, and Sexton was setting up the backdoor deal with Strick the whole time. He gave Strick the cover he needed to hire Mullen. And all y’all will forgive him for it by the time he leaves Starkville next September.

We can argue to argue, but had fla not called he wouldn't be here,he'd be at ut. Sucks but true. And he knew it was a bad job. But he was gone. GONE. Doesn't matter I suppose other than helping state fans feelings.

Spiderman
12-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Sticklin leaving had a direct effect on Mullen leaving.

If a State grad from Ms. and was Bailey Howell's son-in-law, who had made it all the way to the AD's office at State, and then leave to try to go "big time", what does that say to your FB coach, or anybody else that is being recruited to your school?

I don't wish Sticklin had stayed, I wish he had never been made our AD.

DeputyDawg94
12-12-2017, 07:29 PM
At first I was pissed that Merlin left. Was more pissed that strick would poach his own school. Now I'm good with the move. I do believe JoMo will be here for a while and I think Merlin gets run off in a few years due to his lazy recruiting and lack of innovation. My main problem is if FL is such a good job the recruit FL kids and quit trying to take all the State commits. But again he's a lazy recruiter.

Maroon Wizardry
12-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Guys... this will be a good time to let it go. fahgettaboudit... This is the Cohen era... its gonna be better than fried chicken. the future is so bright you are gonna have to wear your sunshades at night. jump on the train join the fun with the rest of us and don't look back.... fahgettaboudit

Spiderman
12-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Guys... this will be a good time to let it go. fahgettaboudit... This is the Cohen era... its gonna be better than fried chicken. the future is so bright you are gonna have to wear your sunshades at night. jump on the train join the fun with the rest of us and don't look back.... fahgettaboudit

I've moved on, but everyone needs to realize Moorhead will either break our hearts or get fired also.

was21
12-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Are you a female?? and are you simply jealous of Megan?? thx

Maroonthirteen
12-12-2017, 08:45 PM
I can?t form an opinion on Stricklin because there are contradictory stories being told.

So true or false, Keenum came in pounding his chest like a silver back and told ******* and Stricklin to get better or get gone? If true, I can?t blame Stricklin for leaving.

True or false, ******* was gone regardless? IMO ******* was checked out and gone. But The way coaches were passing on UT, it is plausible ******* was never seriously considering the job.

I agree with every thing Shotgun wrote in the last post of this thread. But what is done is done. Stricklin will be a very wealthy alumnus very soon. We could use his BC donation when his career is up.

Saltydog
12-12-2017, 09:04 PM
is simply taking the path of least resistance. Gives him more time at the country club.

lefty96
12-12-2017, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=Maroon Wizardry;858947]... its gonna be better than fried chicken[/QUOTES TE]

This is. Lie as there is no such thing better than fried chicken.

Political Hack
12-12-2017, 09:15 PM
We can argue to argue, but had fla not called he wouldn't be here,he'd be at ut. Sucks but true. And he knew it was a bad job. But he was gone. GONE. Doesn't matter I suppose other than helping state fans feelings.

He was leaving but he would?ve drug UT along just like he was us. I?ve even heard he told Chip Kelly to not take the UF job and then took it 2 weeks later.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I wouldn?t shit in his mouth if he was starving to death.

TrapGame
12-12-2017, 09:28 PM
He was leaving but he would?ve drug UT along just like he was us. I?ve even heard he told Chip Kelly to not take the UF job and then took it 2 weeks later.

Yeah, that Don Merlenz is a hell of a guy. He's a snake.

Homedawg
12-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Sticklin leaving had a direct effect on Mullen leaving.

If a State grad from Ms. and was Bailey Howell's son-in-law, who had made it all the way to the AD's office at State, and then leave to try to go "big time", what does that say to your FB coach, or anybody else that is being recruited to your school?

I don't wish Sticklin had stayed, I wish he had never been made our AD.

Your first sentence is laughable. Omg. You honestly don't believe that do you? Dear Goodness. Just no.

Beaver
12-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Don't have an issue with Stricklin. He did a lot of good for MSU and landed one of the top jobs in his field. 39 national championships vs 0... Now he's under enormous pressure to perform, and after being rejected by Chip Kelly gets desperate and hires someone who he thinks boosters will be comfortable with.

Mullen also did a lot of good for MSU and was ready for a new challenge. Sucks that he left, but were we expecting him to be the next Joe Paterno? Also, it is slimy that he's stealing recruits, but if we were stealing 4 and 5 star guys from Penn State, we'd be celebrating. Moorhead can take the high road for now because he's not under the same pressure Mullen is.

In sports, the only people with true loyalty are the fans... Not many athletes, coaches, or admin have loyalty to a team or university. Just how it is.

QuadrupleOption
12-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Don't have an issue with Stricklin. He did a lot of good for MSU and landed one of the top jobs in his field. 39 national championships vs 0... Now he's under enormous pressure to perform, and after being rejected by Chip Kelly gets desperate and hires someone who he thinks boosters will be comfortable with.

Mullen also did a lot of good for MSU and was ready for a new challenge. Sucks that he left, but were we expecting him to be the next Joe Paterno? Also, it is slimy that he's stealing recruits, but if we were stealing 4 and 5 star guys from Penn State, we'd be celebrating. Moorhead can take the high road for now because he's not under the same pressure Mullen is.

In sports, the only people with true loyalty are the fans... Not many athletes, coaches, or admin have loyalty to a team or university. Just how it is.

I have an issue with Stricklin. A big issue. That ********** is an alumni of MSU and married to the daughter of one of the most famous alums in MSU sports history. And what, he couldn't be bothered to stick around and try to make MSU better? **** him.

Ditto with Mullen. He could have been here forever and was set to go on a run at MSU that he'd never had before, then quit to run off to a place that will NEVER appreciate him like we did. His ass is going to get fired with 5 years and I will not have the slightest shred of sorrow for him when it does.

Spiderman
12-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Your first sentence is laughable. Omg. You honestly don't believe that do you? Dear Goodness. Just no.

Dear goodness yes

RougeDawg
12-13-2017, 01:14 AM
Don and Cheerleader were a foregone conclusion in late August, early September 2016. Why won?t people just accept that fact? All events and timelines prove it.

Keenum and a large portion of our cigar boys were fed up with the country club and the CC walking all over Strick. They were working on an out from Don before the season started. That?s why we did not offer the usual yearly extension.

It?s well known that you don?t hire Jimmy Sexton if you aren?t looking for a gig other than the one you currently have. Was it coincidence that Sexton?s services were retained between Cheerleader leaving for Florida and Cohen being named AD?

Bottom line, why is it so difficult for most people to connect boulder sized dots and figure out what played out before their very eyes? Are most of our citizens blind and/or naive? That?s the only explanation.

We will be better off in the end and can all raise a glass when the CC and Cheerleader are renting Uhauls out of Gainesville.

Lance Harbor
12-13-2017, 06:24 AM
I know for a fact that when the UF job came open in October that the MSU administration went into Defcon 5 and moved to have back up plans in place. I can't speak to the UT job, but from 30k feet, it looks like they were a short bus pawn in Mullen to UF (along with about 10 other coaches to other jobs). And let's not forget that Gundy was UF's third choice and Mullen the fourth. Because Mullets > *******.

Don and Cheerleader were a foregone conclusion in late August, early September 2016. Why won?t people just accept that fact? All events and timelines prove it.

Keenum and a large portion of our cigar boys were fed up with the country club and the CC walking all over Strick. They were working on an out from Don before the season started. That?s why we did not offer the usual yearly extension.

It?s well known that you don?t hire Jimmy Sexton if you aren?t looking for a gig other than the one you currently have. Was it coincidence that Sexton?s services were retained between Cheerleader leaving for Florida and Cohen being named AD?

Bottom line, why is it so difficult for most people to connect boulder sized dots and figure out what played out before their very eyes? Are most of our citizens blind and/or naive? That?s the only explanation.

We will be better off in the end and can all raise a glass when the CC and Cheerleader are renting Uhauls out of Gainesville.

Lance Harbor
12-13-2017, 06:33 AM
Scott doesn't represent a lot of what's wrong with Mississippi, he represents a lot of what is right in Mississippi. UF has an enormous alumni base and massive financial capabilities and they have to come one of the poorest states in the nation and pay seven figures to find someone to run it for them.

We can agree that poaching the head coach is a bunch of BS, but what is wrong with Mississippi is why successful people leave the state. At MSU, outsiders want to hire the alumni and administration. You don't see that happening in Oxford or Hattiesburg.

Scott Stricklin represents a lot of what is wrong with the state of Mississippi.

Sure he dresses nice & is a "nice guy" but he thinks he is better than Mississippi & too good for MSU. That's what his actions have stated.

And to everyone that agrees with him, but obviously don't get it either & don't get that the state of Mississippi needs quality people to invest in it rather than always chasing a dollar elsewhere.

How can MSU every convince recruits both student & athletes that MSU is best for them when our own people leave?

Spiderman
12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Scott doesn't represent a lot of what's wrong with Mississippi, he represents a lot of what is right in Mississippi. UF has an enormous alumni base and massive financial capabilities and they have to come one of the poorest states in the nation and pay seven figures to find someone to run it for them.

We can agree that poaching the head coach is a bunch of BS, but what is wrong with Mississippi is why successful people leave the state. At MSU, outsiders want to hire the alumni and administration. You don't see that happening in Oxford or Hattiesburg.

Matt Luke wouldn't leave for Alabama, Ohio St., or Texas with a 1 million dollar raise.

"Our" people on the other hand....

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Matt Luke wouldn't leave for Alabama, Ohio St., or Texas with a 1 million dollar raise.

This is my point.

Msu has to do better, but for some reason an ultra logical, conservative, inferiority complex set into our fan base many years ago that sets us back.

It?s extremely strange.

MSU people build up these other places to be better, but, as someone that has been to all of them, they aren’t. It’s an illusion built in the minds of MSU people because some media guy tells you that.

Bully13
12-13-2017, 08:34 AM

This. Some things just don't make a lot of sense to me. I guess some just look at their university as a place to get educated then maybe if all falls into place , just another job if you were hired in some capacity at your school. Unless they 17'd me over or something, it would be more than just a job to me if I worked for MSU.

But that's just me. I guess that's the way things go when you are born to parents with maroon blood.

gravedigger
12-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Two years from now I wouldn't be surprised if we're thanking Scott for taking him.

I'm not waiting 2 years. I just wish it had been last spring when Mullen left and we got Moorhead.

FISHDAWG
12-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Are you a female?? and are you simply jealous of Megan?? thx

doesn't matter - I'm male and I'm glad he's gone ...... Cohen is light years ahead of Stricklin and Mullenz had peaked

TrapGame
12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
doesn't matter - I'm male and I'm glad he's gone ...... Cohen is light years ahead of Stricklin and Mullenz had peaked

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mullen knew his time at State was up. We, the fans and Cohen/Keenum, expected more than an 8-4 season, an EB ass beating half the time and sub-par recruiting by coaches that should have been already fired years before for shitastic coaching and lazy recruiting. It took him nine years to field a team that played Bama late into the 4th quarter with a chance to still win.

Tbonewannabe
12-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Strickland could have taken the approach like we did in that Moorhead said he wouldn't recruit the current Penn St commitments. It all goes back to what Keenum said, we got a coach with Integrity. I think that was a shot at Mullen. I hope Moorhead doesn't hold MSU hostage every year getting a raise just because there is a job opening.

LC Dawg
12-13-2017, 09:55 AM

I agree with you Shotgun. My daughter started a business while she was at State and she is now working with another startup company. They were recently at a convention and talked with one of the owners of Cathead Vodka and he stated that Mississippi produces some great people and they all leave and that nothing will change until more decide to stay and make improvements. He convinced them to keep their business in the state.
In regards to Stricklin I don't have a problem with him being an AD at another school but it was a dick move to use his alma mater as a stepping stone. It sent the message to everyone that worked under him at State that loyalty doesn't matter and to always chase the better job no matter the consequences. Thankfully we have an AD now that completely loves Mississippi State and I don't think has any desire to leave. And he's from Tuscaloosa so **** you Bama.

Maroonthirteen
12-13-2017, 09:56 AM

My impression is, State doesn’t have enough cigar boys to cover all the bases and put out all the fires. ....apply the pressure when it needs to be applied and have the funds to back it up...or willingness to spend the money. (Not that I’m judging, just pointing out fact). They have to pick and choose their battles.

But yeah, we have the most passive fan base of any sec school outside Vandy.

Lance Harbor
12-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Matt Luke wouldn't get the opportunity. And neither did Hugh Freeze.

But I'm glad you know things that Matt Luke would hypothetically do, Marty McFly. I need some help with some betting.

Lance Harbor
12-13-2017, 12:43 PM
I don't think MSU is inferior and I think its success the last 30 or so years proves that.

Mississippi as a state is inferior, and MSU can't fix that.

This is my point.

Msu has to do better, but for some reason an ultra logical, conservative, inferiority complex set into our fan base many years ago that sets us back.

It?s extremely strange.

MSU people build up these other places to be better, but, as someone that has been to all of them, they aren’t. It’s an illusion built in the minds of MSU people because some media guy tells you that.

Coach34
12-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Yeah- Hack is wrong on this one. Mullen was going to Tenn until Florida stepped in.

And of course- I was right which is the case more times than not

Coach34
12-13-2017, 12:55 PM
My source had told me the vey same thing about Mullen and TN. Don't forget Fla had offered Chip Kelly 1st. Dan was their 3rd offer and I'm too lazy to look up the 2nd, but I'm thinking it was Scott Frost. Mullen was all in to TN when Fla offered him. That move dan made created a fire-storm for TN. I believe my source on this one for sure.

Yep- and Mullen's bailing cost the Tenn AD his job

Political Hack
12-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Yeah- Hack is wrong on this one. Mullen was going to Tenn until Florida stepped in.

And of course- I was right which is the case more times than not

Ole’ gump fans gonna believe the gump mantra. Oopty ooped again. We are M State.

You can believe what you were told. I don’t. We got played. So did UT.

I seen it dawg
12-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Stricklin has done 2 great things...1. Go to Florida 2. Hire Mullen to Florida. I can’t be happier. Been wanting Mullen gone for yrs. everyone else finally coming around to it.

Country club crootin tidbit...in the 2011-15 recruiting classes we signed 38 guys that were SEC caliber contributors. That’s 38 in 5 classes. Great work Mullen. ****ing shitbag.

Lance Harbor
12-13-2017, 02:28 PM
How is SEC Caliber Contributor defined?

Stricklin has done 2 great things...1. Go to Florida 2. Hire Mullen to Florida. I can’t be happier. Been wanting Mullen gone for yrs. everyone else finally coming around to it.

Country club crootin tidbit...in the 2011-15 recruiting classes we signed 38 guys that were SEC caliber contributors. That’s 38 in 5 classes. Great work Mullen. ****ing shitbag.

biggun
12-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Strick and his family are the ones spouting Mullen was going to UT anyway. He wasn?t. He was turning down over $7 million with them to stay in Starkville for $5.7 million. I do think he would?ve went a lot of other places, but UT is not a dumpster fire he was stepping into. He was set to sign his extension as early as that Sunday then we all found out he was leaving. I don?t think he would?ve signed it even without UF coming in. He drug UT out with State to up the price at UF. Stricklin has justified hiring him behind closed doors by saying ?he was leaving for UT anyway.? Simply not true and any State fan or mouthpiece that buys into that BS spew is buying a line of crap from Stricklin. Other people may want to still be nice to him and serve as his mouthpiece. I?m not one of them.

I have to disagree. Dan was never going to be back in Starkville next year, NEVER! Has everybody forgotten how hard Dan pimped himself out after the Belk Bowl, desperate for the HC job at Maryland then Miami, and then hoping and praying for a call from Georgia that never came. Also, Dan?s desperate attempt to escape Post Dak helped kill our recruiting class. Last year?s 6-7 record kept him in Vegas another year but he was going to cash in on this year?s 8-4 team by getting the heck out of dodge and that is just the way it happened. To think Dan was going to sign our extension is foolish, he never was

TrapGame
12-13-2017, 03:12 PM
I have to disagree. Dan was never going to be back in Starkville next year, NEVER! Has everybody forgotten how hard Dan pimped himself out after the Belk Bowl, desperate for the HC job at Maryland then Miami, and then hoping and praying for a call from Georgia that never came. Also, Dan?s desperate attempt to escape Post Dak helped kill our recruiting class. Last year?s 6-7 record kept him in Vegas another year but he was going to cash in on this year?s 8-4 team by getting the heck out of dodge and that is just the way it happened. To think Dan was going to sign our extension is foolish, he never was

Let's just be completely honest. Dan was trying to leave after the 2010 season. And had he not been an arrogant ass in his interview he would have been the new head coach at Miami in 2011.

I seen it dawg
12-13-2017, 03:26 PM
How is SEC Caliber Contributor defined?

The guy played meaningful snaps for more than just a few games.

Tbonewannabe
12-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Let's just be completely honest. Dan was trying to leave after the 2010 season. And had he not been an arrogant ass in his interview he would have been the new head coach at Miami in 2011.

You could almost see it every year that he would have a good year going and then tank at the end because he was trying to jump ship. The next year he would have a down year and have to prove himself again. If Miami had not opened up when it did then he would have been the head coach at Maryland. I heard a $5 Mil per year number thrown around then. He tried to drag them out like he did us every year but they just said screw it. He actually was able to get UF only because they struck out on 3 or 4 other guys and UF panicked.

Political Hack
12-13-2017, 04:46 PM

You obviously didn’t read my post. He was leaving. I agree. But he was playing games with us and TN while working Florida back door.

TrapGame
12-13-2017, 05:02 PM
You could almost see it every year that he would have a good year going and then tank at the end because he was trying to jump ship. The next year he would have a down year and have to prove himself again. If Miami had not opened up when it did then he would have been the head coach at Maryland. I heard a $5 Mil per year number thrown around then. He tried to drag them out like he did us every year but they just said screw it. He actually was able to get UF only because they struck out on 3 or 4 other guys and UF panicked.

The idea of him only leaving for ND or PSU was a fan fable many of us created. He would have left us for Maryland or even UConn if the money had been right. If that bastard had worried more about building the program than building a resume for another job, which would have meant "relentless" recruiting and firing your coaching buds that sucked ass, we'd have beaten Bama more than once in his tenure and probably would have had at last one legit top 10 recruiting class. The way he squandered Dak's Heisman buzz and that #1 season is unforgivable. But, then again he thought he'd be coaching elsewhere when NSD rolled around.

TimberBeast
12-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Stricklin has done 2 great things...1. Go to Florida 2. Hire Mullen to Florida. I can?t be happier. Been wanting Mullen gone for yrs. everyone else finally coming around to it.

Yep I agree 100%, finally.