PDA

View Full Version : Quail survey

Madisonmd
12-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Was wondering if people would mind letting me know if you are seeing any quail while you are out this winter? Our population has steadily declined since the 80's, but some notice of a few areas where quail are popping back up. Tell me area of state and what kind of area it is you noticed( cutover, CRP, etc). Thanks !!

BeastMan
12-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Man I have no idea. Hopefully somebody with some knowledge will chime in.

Barking 13
12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Over here in West Alabama (near Columbus) I have seen a couple coveys in my field. It is grown up pasture surrounded by hardwoods on two sides and planted pines on the other two. I was really surprised, because I haven’t seen quail in nearly 40 years.

SpeckleDawg
12-11-2017, 10:32 PM
I honestly don?t think I?ve seen quail in 15+ yrs in MS.

LandDawg
12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Ive seen a covey of 10 the last few times Ive hunted my lease in Choctaw Co. They are in the middle of a 240 ac 18 yr old pine plantation. They frequent a large foodplot. I saw a covey of 10-12 in the same spot 2 seasons ago, but did not see them at all last year. To the east of the pine stand, we have 800 ac of hardwood bottom. To the east of that hardwood bottom is another 250 acres of mixed age pine plantation, which is owned by another member of my lease. He has a large covey that lives on his property. He jumped them up recently and said it was at probably 20-25 all together.

WeWillScrewItUp
12-12-2017, 11:22 AM
I jumped a covey in a grown up field on Copiah WMA

Madisonmd
12-12-2017, 04:21 PM
I jumped a covey in a grown up field on Copiah WMA

Great to hear! really miss MS quail hunting. We hunt TX now exclusively. A few years ago, I actually killed a limit in Sunflower county in WRP fields. Went back a few weeks later to same area and did not find a bird! Go figure?

Duckdog
12-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Ive been seeing a pretty good bit in a certain national forest

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2018, 04:13 PM
I've seen them and heard them in Bienville national forest near Raleigh a few times

IMissJack
01-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Was wondering if people would mind letting me know if you are seeing any quail while you are out this winter? Our population has steadily declined since the 80's, but some notice of a few areas where quail are popping back up. Tell me area of state and what kind of area it is you noticed( cutover, CRP, etc). Thanks !!

This is probably a stupid question, what is CRP?

99jc
01-07-2018, 08:49 AM
I know where there are some large population of Quail on a farm near Mound Bayou Ms. I hunt rabbits there and have seen many for several years. I am a ranger at the White refuge across the river from Helena over in Arkansas and have noticed quail over near Trustin Holder and White river Refuge last week.