PDA

View Full Version : Mullen loved to call us a developmental program...

HoopsDawg
12-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Three main reasons for this:

1) Feed his ego and reputation. Look how good I can do with all of these overlooked prospects.
2) Mask recruiting deficiencies.
3) It was a good message to recruits that Mullen had great ability to develop them

It was true in the case of our QB's, but pretty much BS everywhere else. Look at our potential front 7:

DE: Sweat, 1st team All SEC, former Michigan State signee
DT: Simmons, 5 star recruit
DT: Thomas, 4 star recruit
DE: Rivers, 4 star recruit, UGA signee

OLB: Green, 4 star
MLB: Leo, 4 star
OLB: Gay, 4 star

All of our RB's were 4 stars. These aren't developmental players. Our best players for the most part, were highly recruited guys.

All of the positions where we have struggles such as WR, CB, TE, and most years O-line are filled with the non 4 star guys.

It will be interesting to see how he recruits at UF, b/c no one there will be happy if he starts calling them a developmental program.

sleepy dawg
12-10-2017, 08:00 PM
https://img00.deviantart.net/c3c8/i/2010/117/f/d/beating_a_dead_horse_by_pjperez.jpg

Todd4State
12-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Aside from CB- the other positions we struggled at in terms of recruiting also just happened to be coached by his country club friends with RB being an exception. Even there Dan hamstrung us by starting Holloway and Perkins and trying to use them like JJ Johnson/Vick Ballard/Boobie, etc.

We may very well drop a little at QB because Dan was really good there- although I think Moorhead is going to do a good job with our QB's as well- but I think our recruiting will pick up at the former country club positions while we also maintain our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. That should lead to an overall net improvement. Keeping Boniol is important as far as special teams and kicker/punter recruiting goes as well.

We need to do a much better job overall of recruiting 4 star receivers and o-linemen in state- we've lost the majority of those battles to Ole Miss, Alabama, or LSU. The country club was as much a problem with that if not more of a problem than Ole Miss paying off players was a problem. We certainly have landed our share of 4 star defensive players that Ole Miss has paid money to- Leo, Chris Jones, Kobe, etc.