PDA

View Full Version : Cohen and Volleyball

Doggie_Style
12-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Watching Florida win last night to make it to the semi-finals made me think what a disaster our Volleyball program has been. Loafers made a Rick Ray-esqe hire a few years back and the program suffered. With one win in conference play this year Cohen has decided to make a change and it will be interesting to see what he does. Vollyball is a great sport and really fun to watch if you knowthe game. MSU should not be at the bottom in any sport and I trust Cohen to help rescue Volleyball at State.

Bully13
12-10-2017, 10:17 AM
The thread title scared me at first based on all the news headlines of late.

Cooterpoot
12-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Meh, we can’t afford to be great at secondary sports. Our budget in those sports is really limited.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Kappa Sig pledges used to have a good nekkid Volleyball team when I was in school.... least that's what I heard....
All jokes aside, do what we did in Women's Basketball, hire a top assistant from a top program.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Meh, we can’t afford to be great at secondary sports. Our budget in those sports is really limited.
Except we are great a women?s golf, track and field, and very good in men?s golf. We used to be very competitive in volleyball in the 90s. There is no reason for us not to at least be competitive in all of our sports.

Maroonbulldog
12-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Watching Florida win last night to make it to the semi-finals made me think what a disaster our Volleyball program has been. Loafers made a Rick Ray-esqe hire a few years back and the program suffered. With one win in conference play this year Cohen has decided to make a change and it will be interesting to see what he does. Vollyball is a great sport and really fun to watch if you knowthe game. MSU should not be at the bottom in any sport and I trust Cohen to help rescue Volleyball at State.

One thing though- Coach MCFatch was not a Ray type hire- he won in the state of Arkansas before coming to State. One problem State has w volleyball is recruiting. Very few MS schools take it seriously and you don?t have a lot of quality athletes coming out of the region to go to your school. That?s why we have a roster full of Texas and mid west type ladies on the team. It?s a real hard draw to get high quality -highly sought after type kids to come across country to play. This same thing has been said by both of our previous 2 coaching staffs

Coach Hazlewood is trying to boost volleyball in Jackson w an academy type program to help promote the sport in Mississippi. Hopefully her efforts will payoff down the road.

Doggie_Style
12-10-2017, 10:35 AM
One thing though- Coach MCFatch was not a Ray type hire- he won in the state of Arkansas before coming to State. One problem State has w volleyball is recruiting. Very few MS schools take it seriously and you don?t have a lot of quality athletes coming out of the region to go to your school. That?s why we have a roster full of Texas and mid west type ladies on the team. It?s a real hard draw to get high quality -highly sought after type kids to come across country to play. This same thing has been said by both of our previous 2 coaching staffs

Coach Hazlewood is trying to boost volleyball in Jackson w an academy type program to help promote the sport in Mississippi. Hopefully her efforts will payoff down the road.

I agree that Volleyball has a lng way to go n Mississippi but it has over taken W basketball in high schools nation wide. Also OM fields a very competitive team so no excuse for us to suck.

DanDority
12-10-2017, 10:45 AM
I agree that Volleyball has a lng way to go n Mississippi but it has over taken W basketball in high schools nation wide. Also OM fields a very competitive team so no excuse for us to suck.

I don't know for sure but I'd bet that they recruit well in the TN, who has had volleyball in high school for many years now.

Really Clark?
12-10-2017, 11:02 AM
I don't know for sure but I'd bet that they recruit well in the TN, who has had volleyball in high school for many years now.

They have a lot of Texas and mid western girls. And like 3 transfers from other schools

Thick
12-10-2017, 11:08 AM

The Hazelwood’s are building a solid VB club. My middle daughter has played for her for the last 3 years, and she’s really learned a lot and have improved her mechanics and her love of the sport. Certain schools in the state have placed a significant amount of focus in VB. It’s just a process in MS, and we are last to the “table” like we are in so many areas.

Thick
12-10-2017, 11:08 AM

The Hazelwood?s are building a solid VB club. My middle daughter has played for her for the last 3 years, and she?s really learned a lot and have improved her mechanics and her love of the sport. Certain schools in the state have placed a significant amount of focus in VB. It?s just a process in MS, and we are last to the ?table? like we are in so many areas.

Coursesuper
12-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Except we are great a women?s golf, track and field, and very good in men?s golf. We used to be very competitive in volleyball in the 90s. There is no reason for us not to at least be competitive in all of our sports.

This is inaccurate, men's golf is horrible and has been for quite a while.

Fred Garvin
12-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Indeed, high schools in TN have been playing volleyball for awhile, but the level of play is nothing near what you see in the Midwest. That is why KY is a perennial power. I’m sure MS has the athletes, but club volleyball is where the development occurs. So MS has a ways to go with that. Jenny Hazlewood told me herself that’s where the recruiting takes place. She didn’t even go to high school games.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2017, 12:36 PM
This is inaccurate, men's golf is horrible and has been for quite a while.
Ok - but we have been competitive there in the past, and the new facility should help. The point is that we have secondary sports that are very good or competitive.

Coursesuper
12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
The new golf facility has us now at least up to par with the rest of the conference, it's nice but it's still in West Point. We have made a quality hire but we still have a very long way to go. New golf course is good but a little quirky.

RocketDawg
12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
The new golf facility has us now at least up to par with the rest of the conference, it's nice but it's still in West Point. We have made a quality hire but we still have a very long way to go. New golf course is good but a little quirky.

Didn't know we had a new golf facility. Is it tied in with Old Waverly?

Coursesuper
12-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Didn't know we had a new golf facility. Is it tied in with Old Waverly?

New facility at the new golf course that is located very close to waverly. Mossy Oak Golf Club.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Our Athletic Budget is about 30th in NCAA....we are not the Little Sisters of the poor any longer...

Homedawg
12-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Our Athletic Budget is about 30th in NCAA....we are not the Little Sisters of the poor any longer...

And 13th in the sec. who cares if we have a larger budget than Rutgers, or whoever else, we play in the sec. no we aren't as poor but we live at the bottom of the hill